Author Topic: Poll: Is 44 too old to start competing again......  (Read 3965 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Poll: Is 44 too old to start competing again......
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »
Have you seen my ex-wifes posts? if I can handle that for 8 years, I can handle anything!

Who's your ex?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 07:28:03 PM »

You HAVE to get Peggy to come to your show.  ;D

I don't think the buses run that late night!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »

denvmuscle

• Getbig III
  • Ronny Rockel ROCKS!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
Vince Taylor
John Cutri
Lance Johnson

AVBG

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »
What are you trying to prove by competing again?

Will it be open division or masters?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
What are you trying to prove by competing again?

Will it be open division or masters?

I've been contemplating it for along time, going back and forth on whether or not I should, just something I want to prove to myself.....Masters for sure, Open maybe. A few years ago I was getting ready for the Masters Nationals and  I tore my pec, after looking at the pics of the compitition, I feel I would have done well and last years Nationals I don't think I would have had too much of a problem winning my class....Rory and I were going to train together for it, then he ran into some personal problems!

AVBG

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
I've been contemplating it for along time, going back and forth on whether or not I should, just something I want to prove to myself!

are you planning on being "enhanced" or nattie? If nattie.. go for it..

IF enhanced- think again and weigh up pros-v-cons

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »
Hey go for it...make Southern Cal proud. Don't you have to win a few before you get to the Master's National's or is that just your long term goal?

Lisa

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 08:10:59 PM »
are you planning on being "enhanced" or nattie? If nattie.. go for it..

IF enhanced- think again and weigh up pros-v-cons

I wouldn't be a nattie, but I'm not a believer in taking alot, it ruins physiques, thats when the industry wrong by thinking more is better, I think you can win with little!

AVBG

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »
I wouldn't be a nattie, but I'm not a believer in taking alot, it ruins physiques, thats when the industry wrong by thinking more is better, I think you can win with little!

You know what you're doin.. go for it.. BTW how has the pec tear healed, I would let that be the judge.. keep in mind Francis Benfatto's return to competition in the Aust show was not as impressive as the judges couldn't get past the tear!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »
You know what you're doin.. go for it.. BTW how has the pec tear healed, I would let that be the judge.. keep in mind Francis Benfatto's return to competition in the Aust show was not as impressive as the judges couldn't get past the tear!

My tear was no where near as bad as Benfatto's, mine is hardly noticable, but I still have to be careful!

Stavios

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 08:17:21 PM »
Joe, you know damn well that if you don't do it this year, you will regret it and you will want to do it next year and the next and the next

do it, have fun
if you win, cool
if you don't, so what you will be in a great shape and that's always awesome  :)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 08:17:34 PM »
Joe this will help you lose fat.  You might recognize it.

Why Weight Lifting Helps You Lose Weight

by Maia Appleby

Adding weight training to a cardiovascular routine practically guarantees slimming results. Here's why:
First, it speeds up your metabolism of fat.

By this, I mean that your body indirectly becomes more efficient at burning calories. Picture two cars in a race. Car A is small in frame, but it has a huge engine. Car B is very large and heavy and has a very small engine. Which one do you think will go ten miles in the shortest amount of time? Your muscle mass is your engine, and the larger it is in proportion to your frame, the more efficient a machine you become.

When you build muscle mass, your muscles actually gobble up calories from your food in order to maintain themselves.

This leaves fewer excess calories lying around, turning into fat. In fact, if you lower your calorie intake just a little bit, your new muscle mass will eat up some of your body fat. There's a delicate balance that you need to strike here, though, because if you cut your caloric intake too dramatically, your muscles will shrink and your body might feel threatened by starvation and begin to store extra fat, as a precaution.

Weight training increases your heart rate.

Yes, it is basically an anaerobic exercise, not designed for fat-burning the way cardiovascular exercises are, but between sets, your heart rate remains up, and you actually are getting a bit of the aerobic effect throughout your circuit.

The best way to take advantage of this is to use a light to medium amount of weight and do a lot of repetitions (for example, three sets of fifteen). You should feel your muscles burning, though, and the last three or four reps should be difficult to do. If you breeze through it, you may get the aerobic effect, but you won't increase your muscle mass sufficiently. If you warm up and cool down, you'll have an increased heart rate for an entire hour or longer.

If you're not comfortable with dumbbells or machines with heavy weight plates, resistance tubing bands are very effective for toning and increasing strength. If you can find a machine or method that motivates you, you're much more likely to stick with your workout routine.

People who lift weights generally sleep more restfully than people who don't. A correlation has been shown between insomnia and weight gain, with many possible explanations. The most logical is probably that the body repairs and restores itself during restful periods. When it is deprived of these sojourns, its fat-metabolizing mechanisms must work in a less-than-optimal state. Well-rested organs are better equipped to take care of business. If you don't sleep well, the best way to change that is to begin weight training.

Building strength makes it possible for a person to increase physical ability. This is why athletes spend so much time in the gym. If a tennis player trained by simply doing drills and playing the game, she might improve her agility, but she wouldn't add much oomph to her serve without strengthening her shoulders, arms, legs and torso muscles. With that extra muscle power, she can hit the ball harder and play more explosively, ultimately burning more calories while she plays. She is also less likely to sustain an injury which would put her on the sofa for two weeks. See the connection?

Women are often hesitant about weight training, especially when their goal is to lose weight. "Why add bulk to bulk?" they wonder. Contrary to what many assume, a heavy woman will not become bigger if she lifts weights. As a matter of fact, as the muscles become denser, containing less marbleized fat, she appears smaller.

Women also do not become masculine-looking when they build muscle mass. If anything, they develop a more symmetrical, feminine shape. Women don't have the hormonal make-up that men have and therefore aren't able to build as much muscle mass. Only with steroids and fanatically intense training can a woman develop a manly body.

When you begin weight training, stay off the scale for a while, but get out the tape measure. Measure your waist and hips every two weeks and keep a log. Your weight may stay the same for a month or two (or longer), but you will almost certainly lose some girth within that time frame. And isn't that what you really want?

While you're at it, you may want to get out the J Crew catalogs, because you'll need some new clothes soon!
Squishy face retard

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »
......after 16 years?

Discusted....feel free to chime in ;D!

haha so you are finally trying to become a pro after I told you that you didn't have what it takes :D

E

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 02:54:51 AM »
......after 16 years?

You are only too old when you're dead... Until then anything is possible!
S

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
Mr. Intenseone, with a physique like yours, the answer is simple...NO, not too old...go for it!!

:)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 03:49:43 AM »
I dont understand the guys who think you shouldnt because its a gay activity.Why on Gods earth would anyone go to the gym 5-6 days a week,eat good,train heavy and hard and not compete.Whats the point of putting all that effort into something when there is no pay off except being well built.Who are you well built for?Sorry,if I wasnt going to compete,I doubt Id even train.Training is for one thing and thats to either compete in bodybuilding,powerlifting,strongman weightlifting or to use it to compete in another sport.To lift just to lift is insanity.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 06:05:46 AM »
I dont understand the guys who think you shouldnt because its a gay activity.Why on Gods earth would anyone go to the gym 5-6 days a week,eat good,train heavy and hard and not compete.Whats the point of putting all that effort into something when there is no pay off except being well built.Who are you well built for?Sorry,if I wasnt going to compete,I doubt Id even train.Training is for one thing and thats to either compete in bodybuilding,powerlifting,strongman weightlifting or to use it to compete in another sport.To lift just to lift is insanity.
You train for yourself. To feel good about yourself and to live a healthier lifestyle. That is much more important then worring about jummping on a stage. Mind you, if he chooses to compete, thats cool too.

PB

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 06:08:10 AM »
 think you should do it you have a very good structure and there is no reason not to

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
......after 16 years?

post a current pic..let us see how far you have to go
Here comes the money shot

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »
Joe, stop being a pussy

here is my friend Rejean at 63 last june  ;D

Damn looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »
I'm 40 and I'm thinking of seriously gearing up myself and see what the fvck happens.

Never did it before and I'd like to before I'm too old.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »
You should go for it Joe.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 10:45:51 AM »
My advice to you: Start drinking heavily.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »
My advice to you: Start drinking heavily.

What do you mean START ;D?