Author Topic: Mike Mentzer has some explaining to do  (Read 12002 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Mike Mentzer has some explaining to do
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »
I'm going through hell trying to regain my lost strength due to that fucking asshole Menzter's HIT program. I was benching today and I was embarassed to be seen with the weight I was using. And the gains aren't blowing back up. I have to work my ass off to get them back up. It's as if I'm starting all over again.

I'm discouraged, but I'm hungry for results! I'm starving for strength!!
~

AVBG

Re: Mike Mentzer has some explaining to do
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm going through hell trying to regain my lost strength due to that fucking asshole Menzter's HIT program. I was benching today and I was embarassed to be seen with the weight I was using. And the gains aren't blowing back up. I have to work my ass off to get them back up. It's as if I'm starting all over again.

volume speaks volumes.. BTW, I thought you and Mike were cool?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »
What you put into it you will get in return. Training less than one hour a day for bodybuilding is not adecate. All champions are built from hardwork!
just push some weight!

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
What you put into it you will get in return. Training less than one hour a day for bodybuilding is not adecate. All champions are built from hardwork!

hey champion.. hows things? hows the billy challenge? BTW, I am no longer posting on MD. :D

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »
hey champion.. hows things? hows the billy challenge? BTW, I am no longer posting on MD. :D

Hey bro, I was banned from MD so... that is behind me know.
just push some weight!

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »

Banned me too.. getbig is a lot better. :D

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
Banned me too.. getbig is a lot better. :D

Damn right!
just push some weight!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »
Let me offer a guess to Figgs about his recent training: Might you be overworking your CNS and need more day's completely off from training? You hit The Wall, now take a nap under The Wall with a couple of days off. Than try the workout again with a lighter weight and higher reps so you can ramp up again. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »

A mild shift in direction... :o ??? :-\

WTF happened to...
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=105394.0

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
Progressove, periodic training is where it is at bro!!  8)  I've been preachin that from day one. Mentzer was an old fvck who mixed philosohphical bullshit with training science, a mix known as psuedo-science.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
Let me also add that, with your work ethic and motivation, I don't think its gonna be hard or long task for you to regain your strength, given the correct training methods and proper diet.

Keep training hard!
follow the arrows

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »
volume speaks volumes.. BTW, I thought you and Mike were cool?

Nah, Mike is an asshole.

It took me this long to finally agree with you!

Let me offer a guess to Figgs about his recent training: Might you be overworking your CNS and need more day's completely off from training? You hit The Wall, now take a nap under The Wall with a couple of days off. Than try the workout again with a lighter weight and higher reps so you can ramp up again. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. But I took a whole week off after my last HIT workout. And I'm forced to use those lighter weights.  :'(

A mild shift in direction... :o ??? :-\

WTF happened to...
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=105394.0

hahaha That's an embarassment. Where is Mentzer buried? I'd like to piss on his grave.

Progressove, periodic training is where it is at bro!!  8)  I've been preachin that from day one. Mentzer was an old fvck who mixed philosohphical bullshit with training science, a mix known as psuedo-science.
Let me also add that, with your work ethic and motivation, I don't think its gonna be hard or long task for you to regain your strength, given the correct training methods and proper diet.

Keep training hard!

Thanks for the kind words, man! Very motivating! I'm back on what program both you and I would agree is what works! And it is goooood to be back!!
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
It took me this long to finally agree with you!

Don't worry figgs now that you know what works best you will have more drive then ever to succeed.

Now that I look back I should have never stopped doing my routine from 4 years ago! Sure I gained a bit of mass from experimenting with different programs but if i had stayed with that program I would have much better right now.

That's life for you. You live and learn.
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »
I give Figgs credit for trying HIT to the max. the way it's supposed to be done. Not that common. It was worth it to find out. That intensity will easily translate to great workouts on a more conventional program.

I'd like to know what happened exactly to lead to such severe negative conclusions. Obviously it and other programs work for some.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »

Was just a phase you were going through was it?  ;D
It hasn't helped...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
Um dude... why do you care how strong you are? I don't care if I can't bench 215 as long as I look like I can lift 500 pounds.

Why the obsession with the "weight"... just inquiring.

If I could get big   pressing 25s... I'd damn sure do that... itwould hurt a whole lot less.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:20:11 AM »
All his method does is pump lactid acid into the muscle. I felt alot in the gym, but nothing the days after. It was like i had not worked out. no soreness or anything.
tank u jesus

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 02:24:22 AM »
bro im sorry to hear u have such negative feelings now. I dont train the mentzer way as u know, but i still feel he was a visionery that opened the door to other training possibilities other than high volume.

I would like it in the future if u tried something like iv been doing. You know i use pretty much all compounds and dont use negative or static failure.

I think ud like it with ur training intensity!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 06:54:32 AM »
Strength is abstract, muscles are real...your muscles cant see how much wieght you move, you dont even need weights to tire the muscles......think about it
L

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »
Strength is abstract, muscles are real...your muscles cant see how much wieght you move, you dont even need weights to tire the muscles......think about it

You look like a warmed over sack of shit. Please don't give training advice.

Hope this helps.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »

you should have gotten the picture when i was making fun of you for pressing 40 pound db's for shoulders and leg pressing 3 plates per side, that's pathetic weight.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 07:54:32 AM »
It's not Mentzer's fault. (I read years ago, from the first time he started to lift seriously, he progressed on what ever program he was doing, along with Ray...the chosen few ) It may have been, for Figg's, a leap of blind faith.  In a way that can be a good thing, seeing what works or does not, for them. At least Figg's had the courage to give it his all and try something very different. And man enough to admit  the shortcomings of that style of training, for him,anyway. Good Luck.

JaeJonna: Strength is abstract, muscles are real? Should not that be the other way around?
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 08:01:38 AM »
I liked how HIT made me feel afterwards but it doesn't help you to move any amount of weight for a set rep range. You're usually only moving that first weight x amount of times and then just a couple reps each drop after that. I say fuck it and just go with what feels good.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »

There's some truth there. Adding resistance is one but not the only way to improve.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
No offense bro.......but the routine you did was so far from Mentzer;;s HIIT protocol that it was sickening.......I would duggest buying his books, read and research  here's a few examples of his routine that should have been put into place......

Workout 2 (sequal to chest/shoulder/tri routine).

BACK:
DeadLifts: First warm-up with a weight light enough to do 20reps but also enough to apply some pressure to the muscle you're about to stress.
1 Work set with your maximum weight for 6-10 reps from the floor.
FORM IS EVERYTHING.
Ex: I warmup with 225 x 10reps
Workset was with 405 x 10reps

Straight arm cable pulldowns -
Preexhaust with 1 set 6-10reps to failure.

No rest and straight to Widegrip Pulldowns -
Postive/negative/static
1st set - positive failure 6-10reps, use a spot with forced reps

1min rest
2nd set -increase weight - negative failure for 6-10 reps until you can no longer do another rep!

1min rest
Static hold - increase weight - 1rep and hold at contraction (spot should help you get weight in position) hold for up to 12 seconds if you can hold for more then up the weight.

Over to Seated Rows:
2 work sets to failure with strict form and a 3second negative.

TRAPS:
DB Shrugs -
Warmup
2sets to failure 6-10reps HEAVY with proper form and a 2second contraction at the top.

Behind the back Shrugs - 2sets 6-10reps.

BICEPS:
BB curls: 2sets to failure Heavy weight proper form no arching or bouncing.
Spider curls - Positive/Neg/Static
Post - 6-10reps one arm at a time, make it hurt.
Negative - 6-10 keep your spotter close and go until utter failure, arm should feel like it's going to explode
Static - hold until your face turns blue and a slow negative.

Done, now go eat and rest.