Author Topic: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!  (Read 59018 times)

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
Re: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »
Powerlifting for poundage and BB are 2 completely different animals.
There is no comparison. Get yourself a Meatal pro Viking bench shirt, change your form to a lower touch, do board presses, and watch your max bench almost double in 4-5 months. And yes, youll get caryover strength on your raw bench.Plenty. NOt to mention thicker triceps & lats. Tris and lats are a lot stronger than pecs and delts, use them!

EXACTLY

you've hit the nail on the head.

bench press does NOT define strength.

i am certain that if tyson so wished he could have done the aforementioned at any time in his career and come back a month later with a 500lb bench.

he obviously had the leverages, proportion and raw strength to potentially do over 600 if he chose to, but then...

he wouldn't have been a boxer.  ;)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »
Ever watch Tyson punch in slow motion when he was in his prime? ESPNs Mike Tysons greatest hits. God!
The F'n power delivery at the end. He often throws in this subtle final hip twist that almost looks like he aint even planting his foot. 
       Tyson & Holyfield both have the look of testo users. Compare their builds to Mohomed Ali and that era. No compare in muscle mass.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
Ever watch Tyson punch in slow motion when he was in his prime? ESPNs Mike Tysons greatest hits. God!
The F'n power delivery at the end. He often throws in this subtle final hip twist that almost looks like he aint even planting his foot. 
       Tyson & Holyfield both have the look of testo users. Compare their builds to Mohomed Ali and that era. No compare in muscle mass.

true. he was an absolute fighting machine and d'amato was perfect for him.

d'amato didn't discover tyson, he uncovered him.

it is just a pity tyson didn't put the same focus into the things that truly matter in life. maybe there's hope for him yet. :)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »
In a way Tyson kind of destroyed the American Dream a bit for all of us. Everyone wants to see the underdog poor boy with nothing rise to the top. Well, Mike Did. And gave us some great fights, but watching him selfdestruct was kind of a  kick in the guts. God how long we been waitng for him to get it together? Its not workin.  Not many fighters realy walk out of the game w/ much. Foreman, thats about it.  Its no diferent w/ many  Muy Thai champs in Thailand, many selfdestruct.  Tough Biz getin the crap
beat out a ya. No thanks.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
EXACTLY

you've hit the nail on the head.

bench press does NOT define strength.

i am certain that if tyson so wished he could have done the aforementioned at any time in his career and come back a month later with a 500lb bench.

he obviously had the leverages, proportion and raw strength to potentially do over 600 if he chose to, but then...

he wouldn't have been a boxer.  ;)
just like could Ronnie Coleman become a fighting machine with 3-4months training, but then... he wouldn't be a bber still standing on his feet... :)
S

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
Iron Mike in his prime had the build to be a damn good bencher. Powerfull upper body. Short Range of motion press.
Ron would have a lot harder time crossing over into fighting. Frankly I think Rons build would be a hindrance for a Pro fighter, even if he let go of quite a bit of muscle. Freak Physique no argument.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »
500lbs when in prison.  Dont tell me this chest could nt put up decent wheels on da bench

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
This thread is Hilarious.

A once-powerful guy, sure, but he never did a triple with 405, and, contrary to some retards in this thread who only expose their absolute ignorance, he wouldn’t have pressed 500 with a couple of months specific training, and likely could never have benched six hundred or more. No matter how much he tried.

He was muscular and stocky, but he wasn’t of the frame to be some elite bench presser.

P.S. A muscular chest doesn’t mean some huge bench numbers, specifically, and, in fact, points to a probability the weight trainer doesn’t know how to properly press for absolute strength. Guys with awesome pecs usually bench in a way that soon enough leads to shoulder issues.

And besides, Tyson was, what, like 230 pounds? A relative shrimp.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
500lbs when in prison.  Dont tell me this chest could nt put up decent wheels on da bench
A true gorilla

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2020, 04:26:36 PM »
Years ago, a guy who was connected with various boxing camps as a S/C coach mentioned that he'd seen Tyson get a hard, bouncy mid #300's bench around the time of the first Holyfield fight, which is believable. As an aside, Lennox Lewis's claimed best was #380 at around #240 which is believable too.

I wish it was still up, years ago someone was uploading camcorder footage from his old early training camps, and one had Tyson in an impromptu benching contest on an old Universal machine. Tyson was around 10 - 12 reps with #250, but there isn't a good conversion between machines and free bar.

Strong guy, but not #405 x 3 strong.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
just like could Ronnie Coleman become a fighting machine with 3-4months training, but then... he wouldn't be a bber still standing on his feet... :)

Aaaaaaaaaaand...

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Just hit the wire a few hours ago. Jaime Foxx will play Tyson in bio-pic, scheduled to start filming soon  -

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/18/jamie-foxx-mike-tyson-body-movie-photos-video/ .

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2020, 06:40:23 AM »
Jamie is not tough like Mike

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2020, 09:19:44 AM »
Tyson was on roids during his boxing  career but I still doubt he could do 3 good reps with 405.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »
Just hit the wire a few hours ago. Jaime Foxx will play Tyson in bio-pic, scheduled to start filming soon  -

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/18/jamie-foxx-mike-tyson-body-movie-photos-video/ .

There was a bio-pic that came out in 1993 called "Tyson" [< IIRC these details].  It was starring Michael Jay White [who is actually BFF's with Troy Alves in real life], and one of my favourite Ironage actors: George C. Scott, in the role of Cus D'Amato!

I thought it was pretty good, and definitely showed up Tyson got used for money at the time, being too young to know how to manage it, I suppose, and too busy with training and fighting and press to pay attention to finances.

You have to think - a lot of people become famous suddenly like this - especially among athletes.  Some music groups, like the Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC, both created/produced by (((Lou Pearlman))) were purposely selected as boys because it would be easy to take advantage of them when they become successful.

I think that sort of thing happens in Hollywood a lot, and in Mike Tyson's case, I didn't know it was known about him at that point.  I thought it was something put together later, and extracted from Tyson's autobiography "Undisputed Truth".

I think Michael Jay White did a great job in the role of Mike Tyson!  He was also in excellent shape, and still is [he's 53 now].  I guess being friends with Troy Alves can have its advantages [in addition to being a very hungry and hard working actor].

Regarding Tyson's bench press claims...I don't know...my max was 345-lb at 182.5-lb body weight, and nowhere near as genetically powerful as Tyson.  But I also put a lot more hours in the gym than Tyson did [I mean...specifically lifting weights].

But...given his reach was short [70" - like mine], he would have an advantage benching.  Also, his chest was pretty developed, so it's not like he doesn't look like a person who could bench press 405-lb for a few reps.

His actual [height] stats were probably closer to:

5'10 and 1/4", and walking around between 220 and 240.

Being on steroids, and training all the time, even with relatively limited weight training, could get a young man to 405-lb for a few reps, especially/if that young man is Mike Tyson!

As for Darren Avey's comment that Tyson benched 500-lb in gym...I can't say anything about that one, lol!!

[EDITED: a bunch of typos - First/Last Edit by Matt @8:54PM Thunder Bay, Canada Time]

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
This thread is Hilarious.

A once-powerful guy, sure, but he never did a triple with 405, and, contrary to some retards in this thread who only expose their absolute ignorance, he wouldn’t have pressed 500 with a couple of months specific training, and likely could never have benched six hundred or more. No matter how much he tried.

He was muscular and stocky, but he wasn’t of the frame to be some elite bench presser.

P.S. A muscular chest doesn’t mean some huge bench numbers, specifically, and, in fact, points to a probability the weight trainer doesn’t know how to properly press for absolute strength. Guys with awesome pecs usually bench in a way that soon enough leads to shoulder issues.

And besides, Tyson was, what, like 230 pounds? A relative shrimp.

a guy i use to compete against had the hugest pecs, similar to Arnold or Kal Skalak

when i was shocked that he could only bench about half what i could do, he said ' i'd rather look like i can bench 500 than to have to run around all the time proving it'

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
Yea its a very good and pretty unknown movie, jai white did a good performance, they'd be better off him in the new movie but i guess they want an a lister.

There was a bio-pic that came out in 1993 called "Tyson" [< IIRC these details].  It was starring Michael Jay White [who is actually BFF's with Troy Alves in real life], and one of my favourite Ironage actors: George C. Scott, in the role of Cus D'Amato!

I thought it was pretty good, and definitely showed up Tyson got used for money at the time, being too young to know how to manage it, I suppose, and too busy with training and fighting and press to pay attention to finances.

You have to think - a lot of people become famous suddenly like this - especially among athletes.  Some music groups, like the Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC, both created/produced by (((Lou Pearlman))) were purposely selected as boys because it would be easy to take advantage of them when they become successful.

I think that sort of thing happens in Hollywood a lot, and in Mike Tyson's case, I didn't know it was known about him at that point.  I thought it was something put together later, and extracted from Tyson's autobiography "Undisputed Truth".

I think Michael Jay White did a great job in the role of Mike Tyson!  He was also in excellent shape, and still is [he's 53 now].  I guess being friends with Troy Alves can have its advantages [in addition to being a very hungry and hard working actor].

Regarding Tyson's bench press claims...I don't know...my max was 345-lb at 182.5-lb body weight, and nowhere near as Tyson.  But I also put a lot more hours in the gym than Tyson did.

But...given his reach was short [70" - like mine], he would have an advantage benching.  Also, his chest was pretty developed, so it's not like he doesn't look like a person who could bench press 405-lb for a few reps.

His actual [height] stats were probably closer to:

5'10 and 1/4", and walking around between 220 and 240.

Being on steroids, and training all the time, even with relatively limited weight training, could get a young man to 405-lb for a few reps, especially/if that young man is Mike Tyson!

So for Darren Avey's comment that Tyson benched 500-lb in gym...I can't say anything about that one, lol!!

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Yeah that HBO Tyson film is pretty good, the Don King one is too. Here's some decent copies of them and a few other good boxing docs on Tyson and King -

The HBO Gotti film is way better than many big budget films -

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Jamie Foxx is on legit kigs, but starting to show his age. Same age as Tyson.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
Yea its a very good and pretty unknown movie, jai white did a good performance, they'd be better off him in the new movie but i guess they want an a lister.

Great post, hench!  The role meant a lot to Michael Jai White [I just realized I spelled his middle name Jay rather than Jai, lol.  I'm glad you spelled it correctly, so I will remember to in the future].  White said in an interview on Entertainment Tonight just prior to the movie coming on TV that he wanted to perform the role of Mike Tyson in such a way that Tyson himself would be impressed with it.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tyson was impressed with White's performance, which I think was fair to Tyson [the script in general was].

I was looking for the interview of Michael Jai White on YouTube speaking about his performance in the Tyson HBO movie, but didn't find it immediately, but noticed this in the search results.  Cool to see White knows quite a bit about boxing:

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2020, 06:08:01 PM »
Two separate entities are power and strength. Tyson is powerful. He wasn't a power lifter. I bet Mayweather couldn't bench 225lbs but he can punch like a mule for his size.  On a side note the bench is a terrible measure of a man's strength. 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2020, 06:09:26 PM »
Yeah that HBO Tyson film is pretty good, the Don King one is too. Here's some decent copies of them and a few other good boxing docs on Tyson and King -

[...]

The HBO Gotti film is way better than many big budget films -

Great stuff there - and I wanted to specifically address this movie on here [even though it is unrelated, but made by HBO, as you said].  That was an excellent movie!  I watched it with my youngest brother in 2017, and I remember it being excellent.

I'm not sure if you saw the updated John Gotti movie starrring John Travolta, but he really impressed me in the role!  I didn't think he would nail it, but he did.  He did a great job, and I liked the movie overall.  But I think I should rewatch both of them, starting with the HBO Gotti movie from 1996 you posted just now.  8)

Great post, BB.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2020, 06:14:16 PM »
Just cause Tyson couldn't bench 400 doesn't mean he wasn't a bad mo fo....

Who gives a shit what he benched, the dude was a boxer...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »
In my gym they have heavy bags because the owner is into martial arts. Always fun to see the power lifters walk up to the bag to hit it a couple of times. They punch like 12 year old girls. Power lifting should be renamed strength lifting. Olympic lifting is truly power lifting.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Powerlifting makes you good at...powerlifting.

Weider "Specificity of Training Principle".