Author Topic: Legal pakalolo could bring in $33M  (Read 3120 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Legal pakalolo could bring in $33M
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
I wonder if Camel is behind this?   :)

Legal pakalolo could bring in $33M

By Craig Gima
cgima@starbulletin.com
Legalizing marijuana would generate up to $33 million a year in tax revenue and savings, according to a study by a University of Hawaii-West Oahu professor.

UH-West Oahu economist William Boyd analyzed enforcement and court costs of current laws and estimated that the state and counties spend $9 million to $10 million annually on marijuana cases.

Using cigarette and alcohol tax revenues, Boyd also calculated that the state could see between $4 million and $23 million in tax revenue if marijuana were legalized and taxed.

POTENTIAL SAVINGS
According to a study by a University of Hawaii-West Oahu professor, legalization of marijuana would generate up to $33 million a year in tax revenue and savings:
» $9 million to $10 million annually in reduced law enforcement and court costs
» $4 million to $23 million in additional revenue from taxing marijuana if it were legalized

Source: William Boyd, University of Hawaii at West Oahu

On the Net
» Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii: www.dpfhi.org

Yet the price of an ounce of marijuana on the streets has dropped, indicating that law enforcement has not reduced the availability and use of the drug, Boyd said.

Boyd said the chances of a marijuana user being arrested and convicted is about 0.4 percent, and current laws are not acting as a deterrent.

Even if a user is arrested, 65 percent of the cases are dismissed, not prosecuted or stricken, the study found.

Boyd estimates that reducing penalties for possessing marijuana to a civil fine, rather than criminal penalties or jail time, would save the state about $5 million a year.

"Decriminalization would save some money and probably would not increase the drug use," he said.

"Prohibition is an expensive and failed policy that drains taxpayer dollars away from important needs in Hawaii," said Pamela Lichty, president of the Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, which funded the $4,000 study.

"A policy of taxation and regulation would raise enough money to pay for all the adult education programs and the A+ children's program combined, or run all our public libraries," Lichty said in a written news release.

Lichty said the money generated from legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana could also be used for education, which she said is a more effective strategy to deter usage among children than law enforcement.

But she acknowledged that there is almost no chance that the Legislature will decriminalize or legalize marijuana this year. Marijuana bills in the Senate and the House did not get a hearing and are likely dead.

Lichty said she will use the study in next year's session to try to get a hearing for bills to decriminalize marijuana.

Lt. Gov. James "Duke" Aiona, who has been a leading anti-drug advocate, said yesterday through a spokesman that he has not read the report and had no comment. Calls to prosecutors and law enforcement were not returned.

The study was paid for with a grant from the Marijuana Policy Institute, Lichty said. The Washington, D.C.-based institute bills itself as a "marijuana policy reform organization."

Boyd said he calculated the cost of marijuana enforcement by calculating the number of cases among police, courts and prisons and dividing the percentage into the total budget for the agencies.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/02/news/story10.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Legal pakalolo could bring in $33M
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:13:17 AM »
It will generate more than that.   People will vacation in Hawaii for the sole purpose of doing it legally

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »
i've always been conflicted by the weed legalization issue.
On the one hand, many do it already and the tax rev would be great.

On the other hand, pot makes people stupid.  Period.  Do we want an additional 50 million Americans to go from average to stupid?  No.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »

On the other hand, pot makes people stupid.  Period.  Do we want an additional 50 million Americans to go from average to stupid?  No.

This is where many of my libertarian roots are planted  ;D

They are going to smoke the weed anyway.  It's like trying to outlaw cigs or beer.  People find a way to do it.

It's just as easy to buy weed as it is to buy socks.

We are not going to have an additional 50 million people on it.   Who ever smokes it, smokes it now.  Nothing stops them.  In most states the penalties fro possession are the same as a speeding ticket.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »

And lazy, might not be good for the economy?  :-\

I guess Ozmo's right to, if people are going to smoke there going to smoke legal or not.
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »
And lazy, might not be good for the economy?  :-\

I guess Ozmo's right to, if people are going to smoke there going to smoke legal or not.

yeah but oz is a grown man.  you'd have a LOT more mid schoolers smoking pot if they could get it as easy as a pack of newports.  i used to teach.  when youre young, it is harder to obtain.  the longer we can keep kids form being daily users, the better effect on our whole economy

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
This is where many of my libertarian roots are planted  ;D

They are going to smoke the weed anyway.  It's like trying to outlaw cigs or beer.  People find a way to do it.

It's just as easy to buy weed as it is to buy socks.

We are not going to have an additional 50 million people on it.   Who ever smokes it, smokes it now.  Nothing stops them.  In most states the penalties fro possession are the same as a speeding ticket.

Legalize it because people will smoke it anyway?  That's a slippery slope Ozmo.  You could say that about a LOT of current illegal activity. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:22 AM »
Legalize it because people will smoke it anyway?  That's a slippery slope Ozmo.  You could say that about a LOT of current illegal activity. 

Legalize it because people will smoke it anyway AND get tax revenue.

It's a non victimized crime.   People will do it regardless of the law... so why not get tax revenue from it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
Legalize it because people will smoke it anyway AND get tax revenue.

It's a non victimized crime.   People will do it regardless of the law... so why not get tax revenue from it?

You could say that about prostitution too.

Is it really a victimless crime?  It is a mind-altering drug.  I have never seen statistics on accidents caused by this mind-altering drug.  Also, has it been conclusively established that there are no health consequences to smoking pakalolo?   

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
Also, has it been conclusively established that there are no health consequences to smoking pakalolo?   

Just google it! There have been tons of studies showing that marijuana is not linked to lung cancer or loss of memory. Just because the DEA doesn't recognize the research doesn't mean it's not valid.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »

Alcohol makes people violent and wreckless. Tons of people die from drunk driving every year. Why not ban alcohol too?  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
Just google it! There have been tons of studies showing that marijuana is not linked to lung cancer or loss of memory. Just because the DEA doesn't recognize the research doesn't mean it's not valid.

I've seen various stories, etc. that say it does not cause cancer.  But what about other health consequences?  I honestly don't know, but I do find it hard to believe that inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs doesn't create some kind of health problem. 

That said, the fastest guys on every football team I've played on smoked pakalolo.  I HATED that.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »
Alcohol makes people violent and wreckless. Tons of people die from drunk driving every year. Why not ban alcohol too?  ::)

We have banned people from drinking and driving.  DWI standard is .08 in many places.  That's like two beers. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »
You could say that about prostitution too.

Is it really a victimless crime?  It is a mind-altering drug.  I have never seen statistics on accidents caused by this mind-altering drug.  Also, has it been conclusively established that there are no health consequences to smoking pakalolo?   

Right now, you can get your self a hooker just about anywhere with little or no worry about getting busted for it.

What's making legal gonna do?  Prevent STD's and allow us to tax it.

The most addictive drug in the world is:  nicotine   and it's legal.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 12:19:59 PM »
We have banned people from drinking and driving.  DWI standard is .08 in many places.  That's like two beers. 

Just ban people from smoking and driving. It's no difficult to tell if someone's high.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
I've seen various stories, etc. that say it does not cause cancer.  But what about other health consequences?  I honestly don't know, but I do find it hard to believe that inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs doesn't create some kind of health problem. 

That said, the fastest guys on every football team I've played on smoked pakalolo.  I HATED that.   :)

Again, you're not going on any facts. Unless you have some unbaised study showing that Marijuana causes serious harm you don't really have right to say that something should be banned because you have some assumptions.

Marijuana isn't all that bad. I smoke it mostly during the evening, as I have stuff to do during the day. It helps me to sleep and it also helps with my lower back pain by numbing and relaxing my muscles.  I can see why athletes would smoke it as it's good for pain relief and relaxing after a stressful day. Those who abuse the drug are losers that would be sitting on their ass regardless of whether they had marijuana or not.

Here's a a study that shows marijuana does not hinder driving ability as much as people think it does.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/03/990325110700.htm

One thing you'll notice is that most of negative research regarding MJ has been proven to be bogus, yet you'll still see them up on government websites even when research conducted by many universities have proven a lot of the old research to be invalid. Here's research that shows marijuana is less addictive than both tobacco and alcohol.

http://books.nap.edu/html/marimed/ch3_t4.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

You got a source on this or is it just your opinion?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »
You got a source on this or is it just your opinion?

it's my opinion.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 01:58:05 PM »
it's my opinion.

Like most of us, I've worked with and lived with many heavy pot abusers.  For the most part they were unmotivated and less bright than they were before they started.  Just my take though, and obviously there are exceptions.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 02:05:22 PM »
Like most of us, I've worked with and lived with many heavy pot abusers.  For the most part they were unmotivated and less bright than they were before they started.  Just my take though, and obviously there are exceptions.

There is clearly a distinction between those who are constantly stoned and those who might do it on occassion or even daily but still get their shit done too.   I've known some brilliant people who were regular pot smokers but they didn't roll out of bed and start toking.   

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »

You could say the same about alcohol.

As someone who smokes weed and drinks alcohol, if I had to pick which drug is more addictive to me from personal experience, then I'd pick alcohol. With weed I just take a few tokes out of a glass bowl and then enjoy the pain relief and sedative feeling. With alcohol I always feel the need to drink more and more and my emotions get highly elevated sometimes to the point of violence. But do I think alcohol should be banned? Of course not, because a few drinks are harmless and you can say the same for pot. Only a small amount of pot smokers are heavy users, so it's not right of you just assume that everyone will be "dumbed" if pot is decriminalized.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »
There is clearly a distinction between those who are constantly stoned and those who might do it on occassion or even daily but still get their shit done too.   I've known some brilliant people who were regular pot smokers but they didn't roll out of bed and start toking.   

So true.. People just have some 60's hippie image of pot smokers or know some jackass who sits around toking day and night. They fail to realize that most pot smokers are not like that at all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
Again, you're not going on any facts. Unless you have some unbaised study showing that Marijuana causes serious harm you don't really have right to say that something should be banned because you have some assumptions.

Marijuana isn't all that bad. I smoke it mostly during the evening, as I have stuff to do during the day. It helps me to sleep and it also helps with my lower back pain by numbing and relaxing my muscles.  I can see why athletes would smoke it as it's good for pain relief and relaxing after a stressful day. Those who abuse the drug are losers that would be sitting on their ass regardless of whether they had marijuana or not.

Here's a a study that shows marijuana does not hinder driving ability as much as people think it does.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/03/990325110700.htm

One thing you'll notice is that most of negative research regarding MJ has been proven to be bogus, yet you'll still see them up on government websites even when research conducted by many universities have proven a lot of the old research to be invalid. Here's research that shows marijuana is less addictive than both tobacco and alcohol.

http://books.nap.edu/html/marimed/ch3_t4.html

Camel I just admitted I don't know the facts, which is why I'm making an assumption.  I don't know about the health consequences, but I assume there must be some.   

Also, this is from the first link you posted:  "While smoking marijuana does impair driving ability, it does not share alcohol's effect on judgment." 

So this 1999 study says marijuana does impair driving ability. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 05:05:49 PM »

Also, this is from the first link you posted:  "While smoking marijuana does impair driving ability, it does not share alcohol's effect on judgment." 

So this 1999 study says marijuana does impair driving ability. 

Of course it does, but not as badly as people think. Infact the research shows alcohol is far worse when it comes to impairing driving ability. When people say "marijuana is bad for driving" it's not really a valid arguement, as alcohol is legal but driving under its influence is prohibited.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »
Of course it does, but not as badly as people think. Infact the research shows alcohol is far worse when it comes to impairing driving ability. When people say "marijuana is bad for driving" it's not really a valid arguement, as alcohol is legal but driving under its influence is prohibited.

I don't think comparing marijuana to alcohol to marijuana is the right approach.  LSD probably impairs driving more than alcohol.  They're both dangerous when it comes to driving.

If marijuana impairs driving, don't you think we ought to regulate this (driving while impaired) for the safety of the public?