Author Topic: Mayweather sets a challenge for Liddell  (Read 17140 times)

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Mayweather sets a challenge for Liddell
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:21:26 PM »
courtesy of www.thesweetscience.com

“UFC ain’t shit, it ain’t but a fad. Anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight. We should put Liddell against a good heavyweight, under Mayweather Promotions, and if Chuck wins, then I’ll give him a million dollars out of my own pocket.”

“These are guys who couldn’t make it in boxing, so they do (MMA). Boxing is the best sport in the world and it’s here to stay.”

What the fuck is he going on about, does he seriously think that he or any other pro boxer could go 1 on 1 with Chuck?! If it was under boxing rules then fair enough, but for god sake dont challenge the man under MMA rules cos he could very well end their career inside the opening round
Scouser on Tour

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
Re: Mayweather sets a challenge for Liddell
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:58:18 PM »
Of course it was boxing rules.   I think liddel would agree with him.  However, in mma things would be different, but that is why I do NOT get the boxing vs mma debate...they are completely seperate sports....
The debates should just stop and both sports go on. 

I know mma guys that are known in mma for their hands and they would not get by the semis in the open NYS golden gloves tournament...and that's fine because I'm sure most boxers wouldn't get by the state semis in high school wrestling.  completely diferent all together.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 10:29:05 PM »
Of course it was boxing rules.   I think liddel would agree with him.  However, in mma things would be different, but that is why I do NOT get the boxing vs mma debate...they are completely seperate sports....
The debates should just stop and both sports go on. 

I know mma guys that are known in mma for their hands and they would not get by the semis in the open NYS golden gloves tournament...and that's fine because I'm sure most boxers wouldn't get by the state semis in high school wrestling.  completely diferent all together.

Agreed

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:05:01 AM »
true true, but some MMA guys hold pro boxing licenses and have fought and won at that level, i.e. Vitor, Jens, Nick Diaz etc. Now the quality of opposition leaves alot to be desired in comparison to Mayweather, RJJ and Hatton but they are still pros none the less
Scouser on Tour

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
mayweather is actually right

they are all guys that couldn't become top boxers

a top boxer makes far more money than an mma fighter

as far as chuck beating any top boxer in the octagon, what makes you think he would?

chuck likes to stand and trade punches, is he all of a sudden going to take guys to the ground?

any top 10 boxer 175lbs and up would own him

E
E

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »

as far as chuck beating any top boxer in the octagon, what makes you think he would?

chuck likes to stand and trade punches, is he all of a sudden going to take guys to the ground?

E

You are wrong.  High level boxers grew up boxing.  High level mma guys grew up wrestling and/or doing martial arts.   There are not many boxers making the big dough now, De la Hoya is more the exception.  Chuck Liddell could take any boxer down.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »

E

I aagree with you, Earl on all but your opinion about any top boxer 175 and over owning him.....

Chuck is very talented and the skills go way further than his hands.  His kicks are amazing...fast and snappy and the shin is probably like a sledge hammer.  I also think he has some wrestling and submission skill.

Boxers are just real tough!  Most have been boxing since childhood.  Most come from tough backrounds, whereas most mma guys (at least in america) have college backrounds which obviously indicate that their lives have been pretty easy.  Boxers, like my brother, were thinking about how to get food for the day or doing manual labor to get some sneakers where mma guys are sitting in class in college....you can't make someone tough, they simply are it because of their life's experiences.

With that said, it seems most brazilian guys have more of a tougher backround.

Of course some boxers are just good at other skills like wrestling and would probably do pretty well in mma, but I gotta give mma guys credit where it's due.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
You are wrong.  High level boxers grew up boxing.  High level mma guys grew up wrestling and/or doing martial arts.   There are not many boxers making the big dough now, De la Hoya is more the exception.  Chuck Liddell could take any boxer down.

how does chuck win his fights?

with punches

nuff said

and that big dough with de la hoya comes to about 20 million per fight

not to mention boxing might be easier than mma seeing as how they only have to train for punches

mma guys just don't have the hands to do it well enough to make a better living

watch chuck throw a punch and compare the speed and technique with any top 10 boxer 175 and up

it's slow motion

if I were mayweather I would laugh at these guys too 8)

E
E

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 05:46:55 PM »
Except that Kid Yamamoto would pick PBF up, slam him and GNP him to a KO. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
how does chuck win his fights?

with punches

nuff said

and that big dough with de la hoya comes to about 20 million per fight

not to mention boxing might be easier than mma seeing as how they only have to train for punches

mma guys just don't have the hands to do it well enough to make a better living

watch chuck throw a punch and compare the speed and technique with any top 10 boxer 175 and up

it's slow motion

if I were mayweather I would laugh at these guys too 8)

E
Mayweather may laugh at them, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. Under mma rules he'd get leg kicked so hard he may not be able to stand after a few thai kicks, then he'd get choked the fuck out.
As far as mma guy being guys who couldn't make it in boxing...also wrong. Randy Couture was a D1 WRESTLER. Why would he have a desire to be a pro boxer? Answer...he never did. He got into mma because of hi wrestling background, and learn enough boxing to get by on his feet.

Mayweather should stick to preparing for DeLaHoya instead of talking about mma.  ::)
!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »

E

Madness.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:46 AM »
on boxing rules Chuck would have loss bad...Now, in MMA i think its at least 80% of chance for him (and i dont even like the guy) IF he is not stupid to just stay standing up trading punches.

!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »
im sorry Earl but what you said is utter bollox IMO. Chuck could easily utilise kicks and keep them from moving, his wrestling is pretty good although hes never really needed it. Youre telling me hes going to go head on with a pro boxer punch for punch without doing anything else? nah he would have a solid enough strategy and kick the hell out of their legs. A boxer wouldnt have a clue how to defend those kicks as all he is used to is the hands
Scouser on Tour

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »
Mayweather may laugh at them, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. Under mma rules he'd get leg kicked so hard he may not be able to stand after a few thai kicks, then he'd get choked the fuck out.
As far as mma guy being guys who couldn't make it in boxing...also wrong. Randy Couture was a D1 WRESTLER. Why would he have a desire to be a pro boxer? Answer...he never did. He got into mma because of hi wrestling background, and learn enough boxing to get by on his feet.

Mayweather should stick to preparing for DeLaHoya instead of talking about mma.  ::)

I think mayweather could handle himself pretty well in mma if he trained for it

yeah couture was a D1 wrestler what is your point?

that doesn't mean his hands were good enough to be a top boxer even with all the training in the world

infact I think he did ameteur boxing at a young age but was a much better wrestler or that was what his mom wanted him to concentrate on

regardless he never would've made it, he's never knocked out an opponent

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »

Madness.

if i'm mad so are all mma fighters for not taking up boxing seeing as how a top boxer makes far more money

or maybe they just weren't good enough ;)

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
im sorry Earl but what you said is utter bollox IMO. Chuck could easily utilise kicks and keep them from moving, his wrestling is pretty good although hes never really needed it. Youre telling me hes going to go head on with a pro boxer punch for punch without doing anything else? nah he would have a solid enough strategy and kick the hell out of their legs. A boxer wouldnt have a clue how to defend those kicks as all he is used to is the hands

if you saw the rampage fight he was getting completely owned by rampage's punches

dana white even kept saying that he should throw some leg kicks but he didn't, which tells me chuck's feet are far from a strong point

those leg kicks wouldn't be enough to stop a top boxer, he would easily land his punches on chuck and knock him out

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
on boxing rules Chuck would have loss bad...Now, in MMA i think its at least 80% of chance for him (and i dont even like the guy) IF he is not stupid to just stay standing up trading punches.

chuck hates to go to the ground

notice how he always motions for his opponents to stand up?

E
E

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 06:23:59 PM »
if you saw the rampage fight he was getting completely owned by rampage's punches

dana white even kept saying that he should throw some leg kicks but he didn't, which tells me chuck's feet are far from a strong point

those leg kicks wouldn't be enough to stop a top boxer, he would easily land his punches on chuck and knock him out

E

No Chuck was having knee problems which he has since had surgery on since the Ortiz fight. 
.  Great vid of Lennox getting thrown to the ground by Jeremy Williams.  Chuck hates going to the ground with superior Jits guys.  He took Overeem down when he was in trouble.  And he did wrestle D1 at Cal Poly. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 07:35:59 PM »
No Chuck was having knee problems which he has since had surgery on since the Ortiz fight. 
.  Great vid of Lennox getting thrown to the ground by Jeremy Williams.  Chuck hates going to the ground with superior Jits guys.  He took Overeem down when he was in trouble.  And he did wrestle D1 at Cal Poly. 

Doesnt he have his accounting degree? I give him a lot of credit for that.
        accounting can put anyone to sleep faster than a rear naked choke.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »

Doesnt he have his accounting degree? I give him a lot of credit for that.
        accounting can put anyone to sleep faster than a rear naked choke.

he has it but it took him more than 4 years to get it ;D

chuck would be a lousy pro boxer ;)

E
E

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
he has it but it took him more than 4 years to get it ;D

chuck would be a lousy pro boxer ;)

E

And Earl you would be a lousy Fight analyst. Wether it would be boxing or Thumb wrestling.... :-X

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
i think that the top boxers would kill the top mma fighters...the sheer speed would be too much man..those kicks wouldnt reach these dudes...oscar would absolutley murder chuck..speed+power...too much

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
boxing is losing its appeal. mayweather is just try to stir things up..thats all. bottomeline is that people aren't buying boxing events anymore. mma is taking over
irongearco.com

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
i think that the top boxers would kill the top mma fighters...the sheer speed would be too much man..those kicks wouldnt reach these dudes...oscar would absolutley murder chuck..speed+power...too much

Big MAl... Which is longer a leg or an arm? Plus a boxer doesnt know how to defend a kick. And last time i checked what boxer trains to be on his back. Usually when they do the fights over. Hendo has got a steel head and I think he could take Pro boxer shots long enough to grab them and then G&P there ass... Same thing with a Kerr or Coleman back in the day..

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 01:54:52 PM »
2 different sports
Mayweather is jealous because younger fans prefer MMA

I would take Fedor in a street fight over any boxer  ;)
RIP Bob Probert