Author Topic: Are 'normal' women too boring for most guys?  (Read 6044 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Are 'normal' women too boring for most guys?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 04:34:07 AM »
Yes I do know...  :)

I think the more intelligent one is, the more complicated you will be.  Not necessarily in a "bad" way, but more aware of certain worldly or non-worldly things... politics, perceptions, intuitions, passion... etc.  Goes for both sexes. Don't you think?

Just keep telling yourself that. :)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
Just keep telling yourself that. :)

oh come on dr j... are you going to tell me that someone with an IQ of 90 is going to have the same life experience, hopes and dreams, as someone with a 130 + IQ?  And are you telling me that the simplistic 90 is something to shoot for in terms of a love interest because she or he is "less trouble"?  Only really insecure people want to be with someone who is less than they are.  ;)

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
I'm going to largely agree with Deedee on this one, I've noticed (personal experience) that intelligence allows for nuances and details, why? intelligent people have more mental resources to cope with information and usually have a better concentration. I've seen a lot of not so bright people have very black and white (and therefore regarded as uncomplicated) world views, even concerning the most trivial of things. Intelligence allows for better integration of information and a more nuanced view of life. It is however not a guarantee for well developed frame of mind and an IQ is of course only a small fraction of the equation.

I find that I need someone that can match me in wits as a partner, I need to be inspired, challenged.

But on the matter of complication, I'm hardly a complicated person, I have clear views on most subjects, but most of those views are the result of an extensive cognitive process. When confronted with good evidence from a plausible source I'm willing to change my views.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
I'm going to largely agree with Deedee on this one, I've noticed (personal experience) that intelligence allows for nuances and details, why? intelligent people have more mental resources to cope with information and usually have a better concentration. I've seen a lot of not so bright people have very black and white (and therefore regarded as uncomplicated) world views, even concerning the most trivial of things. Intelligence allows for better integration of information and a more nuanced view of life. It is however not a guarantee for well developed frame of mind and an IQ is of course only a small fraction of the equation.

I find that I need someone that can match me in wits as a partner, I need to be inspired, challenged.

But on the matter of complication, I'm hardly a complicated person, I have clear views on most subjects, but most of those views are the result of an extensive cognitive process. When confronted with good evidence from a plausible source I'm willing to change my views.

Exactly.  :)  Of course there are other things to consider, like someone's emotional maturity... but intelligence helps.  You don't get bored.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »

DING, DING, DING!!!

Samourai pizzacat gets three trophys for that response!  :)
w

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 06:14:24 AM »
Cool, I've never gotten so many e-trophies in my life  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Cool, I've never gotten so many e-trophies in my life  ;D

I've never presented so many e-trophies to someone in my life either. Good job!  :)
w

knny187

• Getbig V

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
:D Weee

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
oh come on dr j... are you going to tell me that someone with an IQ of 90 is going to have the same life experience, hopes and dreams, as someone with a 130 + IQ?  And are you telling me that the simplistic 90 is something to shoot for in terms of a love interest because she or he is "less trouble"?  Only really insecure people want to be with someone who is less than they are.  ;)

I'm saying some people feign 'complicaticatedness' to get away with being a pain in the butt and/or to divert your attention away from how shallow they are.

A person with their feces organized in one place wouldn't need to go through the effort of letting a man/woman know it. Having one's stuff together would be evident.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
I'm saying some people feign 'complicaticatedness' to get away with being a pain in the butt and/or to divert your attention away from how shallow they are.

A person with their feces organized in one place wouldn't need to go through the effort of letting a man/woman know it. Having one's stuff together would be evident.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  :-\

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »
I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  :-\

What does "less than what they are" mean?

Besides, I'm far from convinced that IQ is an accurate measure of a person's potential. It's been said that people can be express genious within their limitations. It seems more common to meet 'smart' people who underachieve than otherwise.

Also, people are quick to confuse education with smartness. :)

Deedles,

How often do you meet someone who you honestly feel is smart?

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »
There's an ungoing debate in the G&O forum about IQ and intelligence and in which way they correlate.

IQ is a very strictly defined construct of intelligence, IQ is culturally biased and varies over time. It's useful as indicator but not much more. Intelligence is the ability to overcome problems and adapt to new situations and is a broad set of coping mechanisms.

Education indeed does not equal intelligence, sure, there's a decent correlation but a lot of slack can be picked up by simple plain hard work. I've spoken to a psychologist from a well known dutch assessment center and she told me only half of the people with an academic title really have an academic level of performance.

It's been said that people can be express genious within their limitations
The idiot savant idea I presume, in many cases the basis is obsessive behaviour. The number of idiot savants is very very small, thanks to the movie "Rainman" people believe that every autist is a genius that can count. Excellence doesn't require intelligence, rather perseverance and attention to detail. Intelligence won't hurt but it's not a prerequisite.

It seems more common to meet 'smart' people who underachieve than otherwise.

Hmm I've met more people that surprised me of how far they've come with limited intelligence. "Street smarts' is such a phenomenon, a good understanding of human nature can get you very far. There's a lot of people in management positions that really have no business there, result of favoritism.