Author Topic: SPOILER: Crocop Vs Gonzaga  (Read 23801 times)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: CroCOp Knocked out and twists his ankle 180 degrees!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »
this arguement is flawed, as i could never see a top ranked boxer go in against a ufc fighter, for one it makes no sense financially, the other point being the rules of this bout. for me there'd have to be a middle ground if u were wanting a champion boxer vs a champion mma fighter......it doesnt seem fair to throw a boxer into mma rules or a mma fighter into a boxing ring...but as a boxing fan primarily i see the outcome of the fight favouring a boxer, but its all about opinions until it actually happens.

Which is why I don't know why people keep talking about this.  Top level boxers WILL NEVER step in the cage with a top level MMA fighter, and they will use the purse as the excuse.  But bottom line, if someone like PBF only boxes, he will have no solution for a single leg, double, ankle pick, leg dive much less a snapdown, two on one, armdrag, once it is within the clinch, it is all over.  So the boxer has one chance, and one chance only. 

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Re: SPOILER: Crocop Vs Gonzaga
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2007, 12:19:16 AM »
you only have to look at the UFC heavyweight division to see how inferior the fighters are. Im not dragging up this argument again, but to say the likes of Mir, Sylvia, Arlovski etc are superior to Fedor, Crocop, Nog etc is plain stupidity. You know nothing - NOTHING - about MMA if you think that. At one time i thought everyone in UFC was the very best in the world, then i started to watch Pride constantly and you can tell that they are the very best.

How can you say Mayweather, Calzaghe, Hatton etc are the best when they havent fought everyone there is to fight? because they have proven it with their performances when they have had to step up. Point proved, argument over.
Scouser on Tour

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2007, 05:23:06 AM »
you only have to look at the UFC heavyweight division to see how inferior the fighters are. Im not dragging up this argument again, but to say the likes of Mir, Sylvia, Arlovski etc are superior to Fedor, Crocop, Nog etc is plain stupidity. You know nothing - NOTHING - about MMA if you think that. At one time i thought everyone in UFC was the very best in the world, then i started to watch Pride constantly and you can tell that they are the very best.

How can you say Mayweather, Calzaghe, Hatton etc are the best when they havent fought everyone there is to fight? because they have proven it with their performances when they have had to step up. Point proved, argument over.

very good point...Its not a thing of being a Pride fan, its only a question of being objective. They HAVE the best fighters, its just that. Analyze it calm and you will see it too...It doesnt matter if Fedor didnt fought in UFC before, its like telling he is not the 1st because he didnt fought ALL fighters in the world....
 Remember, UFC WAS the best and HAD the best fighters for years....That changed on the last years, its just that. And probably now they will be the best again since they own pride also... ;)

Mirko seemed very conscious about his mistakes...Like lots of people told here, HE most of all did milions of mistakes on the fight...even if he didnt had fight very good, if he didnt had so many horrible decisions during the fight the result could be a lot different
!

cheeksmaliod

• Getbig II
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:13 AM »
WTF is going on - first GSP and now Cro Cop

Chuck will be next one to fall

GSp lost one fight to a good fighter and he admited to being unfocused the french candian will rise again,

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
Which is why I don't know why people keep talking about this.  Top level boxers WILL NEVER step in the cage with a top level MMA fighter, and they will use the purse as the excuse.  But bottom line, if someone like PBF only boxes, he will have no solution for a single leg, double, ankle pick, leg dive much less a snapdown, two on one, armdrag, once it is within the clinch, it is all over.  So the boxer has one chance, and one chance only. 

Another sound argument is Boxers are trained to be hit with pillows... MMA guys train with 4 oz gloves... I don't really know how a boxer would take a shot from CroCop or Fedor with little gloves on... But once again something we will never know... >:(

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
Another sound argument is Boxers are trained to be hit with pillows... MMA guys train with 4 oz gloves... I don't really know how a boxer would take a shot from CroCop or Fedor with little gloves on... But once again something we will never know... >:(

boxers are always in their comfort zone standing. An experienced MMA practitioner is at least somewhat comfortable on his feet and would be able to do just enough to avoid punches and go for the single or double. bottom line, MMA is well rounded, boxers are great at punching and foot work but not take down defense.
 its like a track star who has blazing speed who is faster than the entire football team while running in a straight line, but when he tries out for the team he cant run routs properly and gets blanketed by the average DB.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »
has he beaten the best in the world or has he beaten the best in PRIDE? My whole point is you can't rank people in different orginizations above other people from other orginizations. If you do you get CroCop's head handed to him on a platter. I watched the fight and he was beaten to a pulp. Looked defenseless against the elbow on the ground. Did nothing to escape or advance. And made a huge mistake in dropping his arm, looked lazy like he expected a cakewalk. Is that because every fanboy out there is telling him how great he is and how he's #2 in the world, not just PRIDE, but the world.

Plain and simple. to me he looked awful, got his asswhipped, even before the head kick. But hey he's #2 in the world right? ::)

so i suppose Jeff Lacy was "that" good before the Calzaghe fight too eh!  ::) you havent got a clue what youre talking about mate, if you knew anything at all you would have realised that the real Mirko wasnt even in that fight. But sure, judge him on 1 performance and say hes shit by all means. Youll just look like a right arsehole
Scouser on Tour

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
In case anyone doesnt know, Dailymotion has all the UFC fights because of it being a French website.  The videos on youtube get taken down after like an hour.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
just saw on sportscenter that this knockout was like number 8 on some top hits list for the week in sports

I guess mma is becoming more "legit" :-\

E
E

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »
so i suppose Jeff Lacy was "that" good before the Calzaghe fight too eh!  ::) you havent got a clue what youre talking about mate, if you knew anything at all you would have realised that the real Mirko wasnt even in that fight. But sure, judge him on 1 performance and say hes shit by all means. Youll just look like a right arsehole
you're right arsehole, I will judge him on this one performance because this one performance is what is being debated. He looked like shit, he was out of place, and didn't know what to do on his back, took a shitload of elbows. And if "the real Mirko" was that good, then he should be that good at every fight, right? Maybe he had an off day, whatever, he got whipped, face it. I don't give a shit about any fighters rep, only what he does in the fight. Mirko was pumped up as the greatest by guys like you without taking into effect that he's now fighting in the UFC with different rules, and different opponents.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2007, 10:19:51 PM »
IMO, we're all gonna look back and realize that we underestimated Gonzaga. This is a solid 240 pounder who can kick, punch and is a black belt in
bjj.

Mirko didn't get punished on the ground because he was off. He got punished because he couldn't handle the bigger, stronger Gonazaga's top game. Even without the fence, what was crocop gonna do from the bottom? Hold on for dear life and hope the fight gets stood up. That's about it.

We're so used to seeing bjj guys playing bottom guard. Finally, there's a bjj guy big and strong enough to play top.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2007, 04:27:19 AM »
good topic. spoiler. and no mod changing it.

maybe its time for some new mods on this place? ill suggest it to ron.
Z

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
IMO, we're all gonna look back and realize that we underestimated Gonzaga. This is a solid 240 pounder who can kick, punch and is a black belt in
bjj.

Mirko didn't get punished on the ground because he was off. He got punished because he couldn't handle the bigger, stronger Gonazaga's top game. Even without the fence, what was crocop gonna do from the bottom? Hold on for dear life and hope the fight gets stood up. That's about it.

We're so used to seeing bjj guys playing bottom guard. Finally, there's a bjj guy big and strong enough to play top.

I agree...

So what is going to happen with Gonzaga vs. Randy?

BTW - the next fight I want to see is Vera vs. Arlovski!
w

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2007, 07:54:32 AM »
I'll have to agree with you; on their feet, a boxer wins. Too bad for boxers that in 'no rules' fight, a boxer would get his ass kicked big time. I'd like to congratulate all top boxers for being some of the most over paid athletes in the world; boxing is obviously going down the drain these days. When Tyson was on the top, there was no doubt who the bext boxer is. Now, the general public has no f'ing clue.

I love the fact how boxing fans come to MMA threads telling how good boxers are. MMA is going to replace boxing as the top fighting sport. So, enjoy your dying sport for a little while.

P.S. for those who wonder how a top boxer would do in a MMA fight, see this video

'art zimmerson' who the fuck is art zimmerson?

some punch drunk lunatic that was stupid enough to enter the octagon against royce gracie with one hand covered in a fucking boxing glove.

zimmerson wasn't a boxer, he was a clown. they probably told him the gig was at a rodeo.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:02 AM »
gonzaga came out of left field. i have never even seen this man before.

one thing for sure though and that is he brings it (and the kitchen sink too).

he was in no way intimidated by mirko. in fact he looked like he was champing at the bit to get it on.

gonzaga is a young strong bull and randy has been beaten by this type of beast a few times. i don't think randy should be fighting at this weight but his experience and calmness under pressure is second to none. we'll see.

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
After giving a credit where credit is do - to Gonzaga who really did phenomenal job on Saturday - I would like to mention that CRO COP (Mirko Filipovic) is still one of the most feared MMA fighters.

At times when everyone wanted to see Liddel - Silva match and most predicting demolition of the "Ice Man" by the "Axe Murderer" - Cro Cop completely dominated Silva - beating him with just as devastating HK as we saw last Saturday.
Same evening Mirko managed to beat Josh Barnett (for the third consecutive time) - man who defeated Mark Hunt and Antonio Nogeira on the way to finals...(and has numerous other victories over other formidable opponents...like Randy Couture...)

So, one bad day...a single loss - and some of you see Cro Cop finished?
Think again...UFC didn't signed him for - nothing...
Dana White recruited him from Pride - as THE MOST EXCITING fighter everyone wants to see...

I am convinced that "lightning would not strike twice" - as what just happened in Manchester was/is just a "freak of nature"...
No, I am not looking for excuses for Mirko...and I would not want to call his loss "an ACCIDENT" - but I am sure that combination of unfortunate circumstances caused Mirko's temporary lack of focus which (especially in the ring) could result in devastation of the worst kind.

Simply – it could have happened to anyone...
While I appreciate his comment: “kako sam se borio tako sam I prosao” [I got what I deserved] – I believe he just wanted to take the full responsibility – without looking for excuses or reasons why he lost…
Classy – as always.

For those of us who follow his career and appreciate his style of fighting (counter-puncher and conservative but super accurate striker who carefully chooses and times his attacks) – we know that even though he attempted only few punches and a single kick – at any moment he could have released barrage of deadly strikes and end the fight in his favor. We were all waiting for it and those few seconds in the first round when all of us expected  SOMETHING to happen - Gonzaga surprised us all – I am sure Mirko was the most surprised of all…Oh well…Life goes on.

Like I (or rather “Rocky”) said: champions are able to take punches and continue to move foreword – and Mirko did just that way too many times…and he’ll do it again…and this time (I have a feeling) – better than ever.

I am just somewhat concerned about Mirko’s last interview in which he admits that he had enough of traveling, training, fighting, waking up early…and everything else he needs to do to live the lifestyle of the premier MMA fighter in the world.

I feel the saturation and I am sure that thoughts of his early retirement occasionally come to his mind…but I believe that he will continue (doing what he loves the most) – for many years to come.

They say: “once a competitor – always competitor (especially a fighter)”…and it all boils down to: he doesn’t do it for the money (off course money is added bonus) or because he has to…but because he loves it and he wants it.

Believe me – I know.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
After giving a credit where credit is do - to Gonzaga who really did phenomenal job on Saturday - I would like to mention that CRO COP (Mirko Filipovic) is still one of the most feared MMA fighters.

At times when everyone wanted to see Liddel - Silva match and most predicting demolition of the "Ice Man" by the "Axe Murderer" - Cro Cop completely dominated Silva - beating him with just as devastating HK as we saw last Saturday.
Same evening Mirko managed to beat Josh Barnett (for the third consecutive time) - man who defeated Mark Hunt and Antonio Nogeira on the way to finals...(and has numerous other victories over other formidable opponents...like Randy Couture...)

So, one bad day...a single loss - and some of you see Cro Cop finished?
Think again...UFC didn't signed him for - nothing...
Dana White recruited him from Pride - as THE MOST EXCITING fighter everyone wants to see...

I am convinced that "lightning would not strike twice" - as what just happened in Manchester was/is just a "freak of nature"...
No, I am not looking for excuses for Mirko...and I would not want to call his loss "an ACCIDENT" - but I am sure that combination of unfortunate circumstances caused Mirko's temporary lack of focus which (especially in the ring) could result in devastation of the worst kind.

Simply – it could have happened to anyone...
While I appreciate his comment: “kako sam se borio tako sam I prosao” [I got what I deserved] – I believe he just wanted to take the full responsibility – without looking for excuses or reasons why he lost…
Classy – as always.

For those of us who follow his career and appreciate his style of fighting (counter-puncher and conservative but super accurate striker who carefully chooses and times his attacks) – we know that even though he attempted only few punches and a single kick – at any moment he could have released barrage of deadly strikes and end the fight in his favor. We were all waiting for it and those few seconds in the first round when all of us expected  SOMETHING to happen - Gonzaga surprised us all – I am sure Mirko was the most surprised of all…Oh well…Life goes on.

Like I (or rather “Rocky”) said: champions are able to take punches and continue to move foreword – and Mirko did just that way too many times…and he’ll do it again…and this time (I have a feeling) – better than ever.

I am just somewhat concerned about Mirko’s last interview in which he admits that he had enough of traveling, training, fighting, waking up early…and everything else he needs to do to live the lifestyle of the premier MMA fighter in the world.

I feel the saturation and I am sure that thoughts of his early retirement occasionally come to his mind…but I believe that he will continue (doing what he loves the most) – for many years to come.

They say: “once a competitor – always competitor (especially a fighter)”…and it all boils down to: he doesn’t do it for the money (off course money is added bonus) or because he has to…but because he loves it and he wants it.

Believe me – I know.

for sure milos. Cro Cop has the hability to overcome this loss and come even better (as he did all the other times he lost). It was just that his focus was WAY OFF, and its really noticiable even when he was being announced on the fight. Two fights ago he was crowned the Pride GP champion if im not mistake so its really strange he did get lets say 'lazy' or out of concentration in just so little time...
 I think he had the fight for granted...thinking it would be easy...thats probably whats consuming him the most, specially the way he lost, because it was his most brutal ko i think (worse than Randleman´s...) Lets just hope it doesnt affect his psycological side
 Everyone is shocked ...first because he lost that way, second because he WAS acting that way on the fight, wich is even worse...Completely irrecognizable
!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »
you're right arsehole, I will judge him on this one performance because this one performance is what is being debated. He looked like shit, he was out of place, and didn't know what to do on his back, took a shitload of elbows. And if "the real Mirko" was that good, then he should be that good at every fight, right? Maybe he had an off day, whatever, he got whipped, face it. I don't give a shit about any fighters rep, only what he does in the fight. Mirko was pumped up as the greatest by guys like you without taking into effect that he's now fighting in the UFC with different rules, and different opponents.

Yeah he had an off night, but you made an attempt to belittle him with your remarks. Nobody really expected that performance from him, its the worst he has ever fought in MMA and he rightfully lost to the far far better man on the night. HOWEVER he is still head and shoulders above anyone else the UFC has to offer right now with the exception of Nog, and that would be a hell of a fight if both guys were on. He will come back from this and i think this will cause him to train properly for his next fight. Im thinking that he could now face off against Arlovski or Vera depending on how long he is out. 2 fights from now he gets his title shot. Hell Randleman knocked him out early and he came back to go on a rampage through the Pride HW division.
Scouser on Tour

cheeksmaliod

• Getbig II
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:49 AM »
Nah, you can watch it all you want.  That's your RIGHT as a human-being. 

Boxers or boxing fans just laugh at you.  These guys would last about 10 seconds on their feet with a world class puncher and all you UFC morons know it.

I know that the UFC appeals to guys who've never had any athletic ability on their own, who've never boxed, who want to wear their tap-out gear around the gym thinking they are bad-asses, but, I assure you, REAL WORLD FIGHTERS freaking LAUGH at the UFC.  ONE good strike and any of those clowns are done with.  You all know it's true and we (boxing fans) know it's true, also. 

However, the UFC embrasses a LOT of the general public...guys who've never been a DAMN THING in their life.  These idiots who currently roll around at their gym working on technique and position are enough to make ANYONE LAUGH. 

The best fighters in the WORLD are boxing and earing $10,000,000 per pay per view.  Inferior wannabes who could not CUT IT IN BOXING are making all you UFC watchers happy.  Hell, simply minds work alike.  I can see how all you narrow-minded simpletons like the UFC.  Those out of shape clowns are doing something that you idiots feel you can connect with them during.

You all are sad individuals.  Once you get past living through your currect MMA favorite, get off your ASS and get in shape at your local gym.  You are all a damn disgrace.

Bud not  to burst your bubble but ufc will surpass boxing in terms of prize money and popularity very shortly.  Want to know something else kickboxers laugh at boxers all the time as well, I mean seriously who only fights with half of there body.  and MMA is just the evolution of all forms of fighting, too say ufc fighters are out of shape is just stupid, go say that to matt hughes or tito ortiz face

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »
This sucks. I admit, i like Crocop. I like his attitude and style.
One thing is certain, his fights are always very interesting.

It will be hard to come back, twisting your leg like that can really fuck it up for a long time. Trust me, i know.
And with the power he kicks ...
Plus he'll have to find that edge back mentally. He always comes off as a friendly guy, family man who loves his kid, dog, friends.
$

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:50 AM »
I agree...

So what is going to happen with Gonzaga vs. Randy?

I'd bet Gonzaga by ref stoppage.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »
This sucks. I admit, i like Crocop. I like his attitude and style.
One thing is certain, his fights are always very interesting.

It will be hard to come back, twisting your leg like that can really fuck it up for a long time. Trust me, i know.
And with the power he kicks ...
Plus he'll have to find that edge back mentally. He always comes off as a friendly guy, family man who loves his kid, dog, friends.
at least it wasnt his left leg wich is his trademark...he dont use the right so often
!

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
if crocop- had won this and went to fight randy i would have put my money on randy, im a huge pride fan however, randys head movement is awesome, and a lot quicker than mirko jabs, he would easily take mirko down and dominate him on the floor of the cage. mirko is a ring fighter k1 and pride suit him perfectly.
the cage is for randy, nog, fedor and chuck

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:43 PM »
Yeah he had an off night, but you made an attempt to belittle him with your remarks. Nobody really expected that performance from him, its the worst he has ever fought in MMA and he rightfully lost to the far far better man on the night. HOWEVER he is still head and shoulders above anyone else the UFC has to offer right now with the exception of Nog, and that would be a hell of a fight if both guys were on. He will come back from this and i think this will cause him to train properly for his next fight. Im thinking that he could now face off against Arlovski or Vera depending on how long he is out. 2 fights from now he gets his title shot. Hell Randleman knocked him out early and he came back to go on a rampage through the Pride HW division.

AHHHHHHH, this is where we missed each other. I'm not trying to belittle him, I'm trying to belittle the people who ran their mouths nonstop about how great he is. ;)

He is a fighter and I have no doubt he will come back. This isn't his first loss is it?
I hope he does go on a rampage through UFC, but I hope some people will realize that you cannot judge a man on what he's done in a different orginization.

No harm, no foul :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!