Author Topic: CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE??? I CAN.  (Read 12131 times)

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
Re: CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE??? I CAN.
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »
Ya cause everyone wants to be a 270lb sloppy canoli eating "weightlifter".

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:36 AM »
hahahahaha, are you wearing a size Smedium Tap Out shirt too? ;D

Actually its a 2xl Famous shirt... YOu were close.. I dont own any fight gear except my Gi that I quit training in like 5 years ago.. My rash guard for rolling, and the team that I used to train with other then that nothing... Are you sitting at your desk in your hostess cupcake pajama pants... You fat son of a bitch.. So you lost any weight yet Squad.. By the way I was meaning to ask you what the F*ck Happened to the the V.. that shit went out fast... The Squad just kind of died????

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
says the "man" with no pics posted. ;D

Why would I want to post my pics. Im not a bodybuilder and I havent bragged about my physique. I personally dont know why anyone would want people on this board to know their names and what they look like.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »
"The karate method of generating power from hip shifting is not something you can do effectively without practice, but it's more efficient in the end. "

if you mean energy efficient i would possibly agree with you, and shotokan is renowned for its power generation abilities(doesnt shotokan mean power karate?)... but if youre trying to say karate (even shotokan) is in any way superior or more effective than muay thai when it comes to striking/kickboxing ... not in a million years

granted there have been some amazing world class karate practitioners who have enjoyed success (hug, crocop, GSP etc) ... but they havent done anywhere near as well as the thai guys overall (aerts, hoost, bukkaw, bojansky etc)

There's also Musashi and the current K-1 champ Schilt...who isn't all size and no skill. If that was the case Sapp would be champ since he's even bigger. Schilt makes good use of the front kick. Bas Rutten is like 5th degree Kyokushin, hence his effectiveness close fighting with the body strikes, something Kyokushin guys spend a lot of time doing. No I don't believe kickboxing or Muay-Thai is better than Full Contact-Karate. I believe all other things being equal the Karate is better. They've held such contest between Muay Thai guys and karate practitioners in Japan and I believe the karate guys won most of the fights.

You have to consider the mindset of people that people join kickboxing...they know going in it's a sport, and so a greater percentage of athletically inclined people will join up. The soccer moms and weekend warrior element is eliminated. Also, karate has it's own tournaments, so you will not see as many in K-1 since it's easier making the transition between kickboxing and K-1. Karate tourneys don't wear gloves or punch to the face usually, so it's a greater leap learning to block with gloves etc. In short, fewer FCKarate fighters enter K-1, but the few that do have seen great success.
TEAM REPTILIAN

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
just what i thought, another 113 pound chickenshit.

Do you think that you could eat this guy in one sitting... :o

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »
There's also Musashi and the current K-1 champ Schilt...who isn't all size and no skill. If that was the case Sapp would be champ since he's even bigger. Schilt makes good use of the front kick. Bas Rutten is like 5th degree Kyokushin, hence his effectiveness close fighting with the body strikes, something Kyokushin guys spend a lot of time doing. No I don't believe kickboxing or Muay-Thai is better than Full Contact-Karate. I believe all other things being equal the Karate is better. They've held such contest between Muay Thai guys and karate practitioners in Japan and I believe the karate guys won most of the fights.

You have to consider the mindset of people that people join kickboxing...they know going in it's a sport, and so a greater percentage of athletically inclined people will join up. The soccer moms and weekend warrior element is eliminated. Also, karate has it's own tournaments, so you will not see as many in K-1 since it's easier making the transition between kickboxing and K-1. Karate tourneys don't wear gloves or punch to the face usually, so it's a greater leap learning to block with gloves etc. In short, fewer FCKarate fighters enter K-1, but the few that do have seen great success.

When the best Karatekas travel to Thailand to fight the Thais under thai rules, most stadium champs kill the karatekas.   Benny the Jet had his loss expunged from his record.  Much like Dennis Alexio did with his fight with Stan the  Man. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 04:19:59 PM »
When the best Karatekas travel to Thailand to fight the Thais under thai rules, most stadium champs kill the karatekas.   Benny the Jet had his loss expunged from his record.  Much like Dennis Alexio did with his fight with Stan the  Man. 

What are these special rules that are so drastically different they would create a different outcome?
TEAM REPTILIAN

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 05:35:56 PM »
sho-rei ryu?
X

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
TEAM REPTILIAN

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 06:00:52 PM »
used to be called Uechi-Ryu?
X

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes, also closely related to Goju-Ryu.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
I studied uechi ryu before Kanei died.  good stuff.  Min chin chou ryu!
X

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »
Min-Chin-Chou-Ryu!

How far did you go? What do you study now?
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »

well said, though i still hold muay thai superior

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
Like I said, when it comes to kumite, k-1, kickboxing, ufc, pride, whatever, the actual attacks most commonly used whether karate, kickboxing/muay thai are roundhouse kicks, front kicks, and thigh kicks. There's not a huge difference when you get down to brass tax. Other attacks are effective in specific situations provided you are proficient in using them: back kicks, axe kicks, side kicks, crescent kicks, but these situations don't arise frequently, and especially not in sport fighting.
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
thats true and you touch on another point(indirectly), neither karate nor muay thai properly develops the hands to boxing proficiency

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »

Perhaps not. It would seem that way since that's ALL boxers do is punch.  ;D

I think an effective kicker (not the cans throwing shitty snap kicks on UFC) would beat a boxer more often than not though. If the boxer manages to evade kicks, the striker in turn must evade the punches, and then the boxer is again on the defensive vs. elbows, headbutts etc in the clinch. Depending on rules of course.

If boxers were better standup fighters, the second-tier guys could make a name for themselves in K-1 (and boxing), but the White Buffalo didn't get to far.
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »
again, well said

then again

i would take a good wrestler over both of em in mma :D

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »
Agreed. A strong guy that knows how to wrestle is probably the most dangerous fighter(single style).
Just look at the champions in the UFC before people started to cross-train. Severn, Fry, Coleman. All strong guys that wrestler. Hell, Randy is a champion today, and Fedor is sort of a wrestler (sambo).
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »
and henderson + gomi!

thats one area of my game im really lost in ... i know how to hit hard(thogh i dont like being hit  :P) and my submission are pretty slick, but im lost when it comes to taking people down in an energy efficient way and against a good wrestler (or even a crappy one) i get pwned

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2007, 11:06:42 PM »
I'm just starting BJJ. As far as take downs, I try to keep as wide and low as possible, distracting them by engaging them in hand movements, and anticipate their moves. Predicting what they do works well for me, because you immediately know how to counter it. I can look at a guy and think, "this type will go for a side take down." It's like a chess game to me. And when the time comes for a take down explode...it's all or nothing. It's multi-tasking mentally. I'm sure that doesn't help though. You are farther than me. ;D
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »
all ill say is thank GOD for pulling guard :D

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »
Pulling guard is a shitty way to take someone down if thats what you mean. I would avoid that at all cost.  If your not a wrestler or never trained wrestling intensively i wouldnt try and shoot for a double leg or anything like that. Get clinch control and go for a throw or trip. Wrestlers are succesful because they have developed that explosive takedown power and most people barely train takedown defense. For most of us, like myself its a dead end to try and takedown a wrestler. I prefer to stand anyway so i just work my takedown D. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM »
Pulling guard is a shitty way to take someone down if thats what you mean. I would avoid that at all cost.  If your not a wrestler or never trained wrestling intensively i wouldnt try and shoot for a double leg or anything like that. Get clinch control and go for a throw or trip. Wrestlers are succesful because they have developed that explosive takedown power and most people barely train takedown defense. For most of us, like myself its a dead end to try and takedown a wrestler. I prefer to stand anyway so i just work my takedown D. 

I like sitting out when my single, double or high crotch attempt is stuffed by a good sprawl.  You get their back, and can work from the turtle, or sink in the body triangle and work the mata leo. 

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »
if its a good sprawl you wont be sitting out there nog :D