Author Topic: Diet advice please?  (Read 2026 times)

Aj123

• Getbig II
Diet advice please?
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »
Hey guys Im Arron 6'8 230lbs and new to the forums and hoping to get to know alot of your guys... Im just stuck with my diet and wondering if anyone could help me?

I just started getting back into some serious training after alot of injuries that were keeping me out, Im not training to be a bodybuilder in comps or anything but just to look and feel good for myself but i am wanting to pack on some mass and gain alot more strength.

Here my diet im following at the moment, If theres anything you think i should change please let me know....

7am:
1 1/2 cups oats
1 Scoop OP (24g) + 600ml skim milk
Piece of fruit

10.30am:
Tuna salad
or
250g cottage cheese with fruit

1pm: (whatever i cook for dinner the previous night mostly)
Crumbed chicken
Brocolli and green beans
or
Turkey mince Spagetti bol with wholemeal pasta
2 cups of skim milk

3.30pm: (pre-workout)
2 Peanut butter sand with a bit of honey
2 cups of skim milk

5pm: (Post-workout)
2 scoops (50g)
5g creatine
2 tablespoons dextrose

6.30pm: (Nice and cheap)
Crumbed chicken
Brocolli and green beans
or
Turkey mince spagetti bol with wholemeal pasta

10pm:
1 Scoop OP (24g)
500ml skim milk
or
Cottage cheese with fruit

My dinners do change around but they are my staples if i run out of money as im living alone. lol If you have any other ideas on cheap dinners ill be happy to hear them too.

Thanx in advance guys

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Diet advice please?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »
looks like a pretty solid diet plan, maybe add a few more carbs if you're trying to gain, 230 seems pretty light for 6'8".

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »
Thanx The Squadfather yea thats what i thought 230 is a bit too light for someone my height. Do you think maybe add a few more peanut butter sand into the mix? Or get them from other carb sources?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
Thanx The Squadfather yea thats what i thought 230 is a bit too light for someone my height. Do you think maybe add a few more peanut butter sand into the mix? Or get them from other carb sources?
yeah maybe just more calories overall, weight gain is all a total calorie game in the end, i also don't see any red meat in there, steak ALWAYS packs weight on me when i add a lot to my diet.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »
The first two things that popped out at me are these:

Postworkout, 2 Tbsp of Dextrose is what?  30g of Carbs?  At least double that!  For a hardgainer like yourself, you want to load the quick carbs after you workout.

Not enough healthy fats!!!  The PB Sandwiches are good for sure (try to stick with All Natural PB though).  You might want to buy some Flax Oil and add 2-3 Tbsp per day - that'll add 28-42 extra grams of GOOD fat and 252-378 calories to your daily diet.  All of which will help promote healthy testosterone levels.

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
The first two things that popped out at me are these:

Postworkout, 2 Tbsp of Dextrose is what?  30g of Carbs?  At least double that!  For a hardgainer like yourself, you want to load the quick carbs after you workout.

Not enough healthy fats!!!  The PB Sandwiches are good for sure (try to stick with All Natural PB though).  You might want to buy some Flax Oil and add 2-3 Tbsp per day - that'll add 28-42 extra grams of GOOD fat and 252-378 calories to your daily diet.  All of which will help promote healthy testosterone levels.

Thanks alot Hulk with the dextrose im using the dextrose they use when making beer is that ok to use, its pretty much the same isnt it? because its the only one i could find over here, and i will up it to 4-5tablespoons PoW.

With the flax oil i heard someone saying that you could use extra virgin olive oil as a replacment is this true?

LOL sorry about all the questions i thought reading up on all this would help me become a pro at dieting but it just goes to show theres always more you can learn.

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
yeah maybe just more calories overall, weight gain is all a total calorie game in the end, i also don't see any red meat in there, steak ALWAYS packs weight on me when i add a lot to my diet.

I like to get a bit of red meat in there every now and then, Always like to ho down on a good old steak. I normally have it on a night i dont have to make enough for the next day because when i reheat steak it never tastes the same for me. lol

What do you use your red meat in? Maybe i could get some ideas of you?

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 06:43:02 AM »
Thanks alot Hulk with the dextrose im using the dextrose they use when making beer is that ok to use, its pretty much the same isnt it? because its the only one i could find over here, and i will up it to 4-5tablespoons PoW.

With the flax oil i heard someone saying that you could use extra virgin olive oil as a replacment is this true?

LOL sorry about all the questions i thought reading up on all this would help me become a pro at dieting but it just goes to show theres always more you can learn.

As far as adding calories & healthy fats to your diet, Olive Oil will accomplish much the same thing as Flax Oil.  HOWEVER, and it's a pretty IMPORTANT HOWEVER, Olive Oil provides very little in the way of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which is the one kind of fat, you just can't get very easily in your diet.  Flax Oil is almost entirely made up of Omega 3's.  You'll be much better off using Flax Oil or Fish Oil.

Use Olive Oil when preparing your chicken and so forth...

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:59:42 AM »
Go with Fish Oil. Flax seed oil doesn't convert into DHA/EPA which you need.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 07:23:11 AM »
I like to get a bit of red meat in there every now and then, Always like to ho down on a good old steak. I normally have it on a night i dont have to make enough for the next day because when i reheat steak it never tastes the same for me. lol

What do you use your red meat in? Maybe i could get some ideas of you?
i buy a 3 pound package of top round at Sam's every 3 days or so for about 10-11 bucks and just cook it on my Foreman grill, i eat it witha couple of waffles, whenever i drop the red meat from my diet i lose weight quick.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
i buy a 3 pound package of top round at Sam's every 3 days or so for about 10-11 bucks and just cook it on my Foreman grill, i eat it witha couple of waffles, whenever i drop the red meat from my diet i lose weight quick.

Steak & Waffles???  Now that's hardcore!!!  Disgusting, but HARDCORE!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:53:30 PM »
Steak & Waffles???  Now that's hardcore!!!  Disgusting, but HARDCORE!
hahahahaha, it's great you should try it, it's awesome pre workout.

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »
Thought i might update it...

7am:
1 cup oats
1 Scoop OP (24g) + 600ml skim milk + 1 tablespoon olive oil (untill i get flax seed)
Piece of fruit

10.30am:
Tuna or 4 egg salad
or
250g low fat cottage cheese with fruit

1pm:
Whatever i cook the previous night

3.30pm: (pre-workout)
2 Peanut butter sand with a bit of honey
3 cups of skim milk
or
low fat cottage cheese + fruit

5pm: (Post-workout)
2 scoops (50g)
5g creatine
4 tablespoons dextrose
1 teaspoon olive oil

6.30pm: (Nice and cheap staples but do get other stuff occaisionally)
- Crumbed chicken + Veges (brocolli and green beans)
- Chilli concarn with turkey mince + Veges
- Steak + Veges

10pm:
1 Scoop OP (24g)
500ml skim milk
1 tablespoon Nat PB
or
Cottage cheese with fruit

How does that look? Getting any better?

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 06:00:15 AM »
Much, MUCH better!  Try this out for a while and see what happens.  If you still need extra calories, try switching from low-fat cottage cheese to the regular stuff.  And drink 2% milk instead of skim.