Author Topic: What are these? xxxLinda!?  (Read 5501 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
What are these? xxxLinda!?
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »

I posted this on the X too, but Linda said she gardens, or maybe someone else can tell me what these are!?

I have 2 tubs of minature fruit trees that I just moved out to the front porch a few weeks ago.  I noticed  the other day that one of them had all this like yellow/whitey foamy stuff on the dirt but nothing in the other tub.  Today I go look and yellow penis's are sprouting!!!  I tried to touch one but I started screaming when I did!!!

What are they!!!    Pod People Penis's?!?!?!   

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: What are these? xxxLinda!?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »
Flower, do you notice a "smell?"
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:05:54 PM »
Flower, do you notice a "smell?"

uhm, I think a little one, seriously I am really really scared of them.   The only thing I had done when I brought them down was to throw more Miracle Grow in there, but I put it in both tubs.  

STella, what are they

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »

I tried to touch one but I started screaming when I did!!!

lolololoz!  I just saw this.  You remind me of myself :-[

Did they seem really fragile when you touched them and then sort of collapse?  This is not a metaphor by the way! >:(
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:08:22 PM »
lolololoz!  I just saw this.  You remind me of myself :-[

Did they seem really fragile when you touched them and then sort of collapse?  This is not a metaphor by the way! >:(

No, I only touched it for a second but it seemed pretty firm, and they are really really yellow, bright yellow.   

If it had collapsed I would be screaming around the house still. 

I'm gonna go down and "smell" them.  I don't think I can touch them again though. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11:08 PM »
Ok, no smell. I tried to find a stick but nothing was long enough, so I got a broom and poked that big one and I knocked it over.  Not really any roots, and it stayed fine, not breaking.

It's a Pod People Fungus amongus isn't it!!!!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
I think they might be one of these or something similar:

http://mushroomexpert.com/leucocoprinus_birnbaumii.html

Butterbean

• Getbig V
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »
I think they might be one of these or something similar:

http://mushroomexpert.com/leucocoprinus_birnbaumii.html

Yeah that's what I found too....my site said to leave them alone and enjoy them :)

Oh and you should appreciate that they were 2002 February Fungus of the Month  ;D

Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for February 2002
This month's fungus is Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, aka Lepiota lutea, the yellow houseplant mushroom.
For the rest of my pages on fungi, please click http://TomVolkFungi.net
 Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (luke-o-kuh-PRY-niss burn-BAUM-eee-eye) is a common mushroom in house plants and greenhouses or any other place with organically rich soil where the temperature is warm . I get lots of emails about this particular fungus in the winter, so I thought that it's about time to make it the Fungus of the Month. It's a bright colorful mushroom that helps those of us in the far north get through the long, mostly mushroomlesss winter. It's also very common in the south in warmer climates, where it can grow outdoors, especially in mulched flower beds.

I get *lots* of email about this fungus. In the table below I've put a small sampling of some of these interesting emails. You'll notice, however, that they start to sound the same after the first few. That's why I made Leucocoprinus birnbaum
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
that's them!!!    They are scary!!  I wonder why they only sprouted in the one tub though? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »
Looks Like either a fungus or mushroom

from the dark soil....I'll say mushroom.  They can grow fast with moisture

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 02:40:14 PM »

If you think those are gross, you must have never seen (or touched) one of these (these collapse  :P  ):

(and the smell is something I'll PM you about  :P )

I'm talking about the one in the upper left hand corner that looks like a rotten finger
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
OK it's called a dog stinkhorn  :P

The stinkhorns are all members of the order Phallales. All member of this order produce a stinking mass of spores at some point. The genera and species are differentiated on the basis of what kind of fruiting bodies they produce and where they bear their spores on the fruiting body. Dictyophora and Phallus species have a pileus differentiated at the top of the stalk. Dictyophora species all have a veil-like structure hanging down, while Phallus species lack the veil. Phallus impudicus is probably the most famous of the stinkhorns-- it certainly has the most descriptive name!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two fruiting bodies here are members of the genus Mutinus, often called the "dog stinkhorns." (If you don't know the reason for this I don't think you're ready for me to explain it to you...). To the left is the red/orange Mutinus elegans and to the right is the white and more slender Mutinus caninus. On each of them you can see the saclike structure at the base from which the rest of the fruiting body emerged. Mutinus species lack a cap at the top of the stalk. The slimy spore mass is borne directly on the pointed apex. I get at least seven or eight emails per year from people who have one of these Mutinus species growing in their yard, especially in bark mulch. I have also found them in very rich soils in wet areas. They're actually kind of fun to fund. Usually when you find one stinkhorn fruiting you can find more. If you look around you can sometimes find the egg stage, before the stalk emerges. I collect these and put them in a high humidity chamber (like a glass jar) and use them for my mycology class. Under the right circumstances, we can watch the fruiting body emerge from the egg within a few hours. It's certainly an interesting class activity, one that students will remember for a very long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surprisingly there are some human uses for members of the Phallales. You're probably not going to believe this, but some of these members of the Phallales, especially Phallus and Dictyophora are considered a delicacy in China! As you might guess (especially if you're familiar with the doctrine of signatures, where the ailment cured by an organism is related to its shape), you won't be surprised that both of these are considered aphrodisiacs! Sometimes they are eaten in the egg stage, and sometimes they are eaten after maturity, after the spore mass is removed. They are even cultivated and sold in stores in China, either fresh or dried. I've had them, and they're actually pretty good.

Disgusting

R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
those are toadstools..ie mushrooms sprouting from..<ahem> ya got it..

they r fungi..
carpe` vaginum!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »

A fungus amongus!!!   lololz

someone come and get the yellow pod people out of my fruit trees!!

Still odd they only sprouted in the one tub?  And it was quick too!!!

I bet tomorrow they are all up the windows!!!
   :o

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »

so why did you start screaming when you tried to touch it? did it ejaculate or something?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »

so why did you start screaming when you tried to touch it? did it ejaculate or something?

Because I was so scared and I was waiting for it to go "poof" or something.

Now it's in my head and I can't touch them.  It's like going through a haunted house all ready for something to jump out at you.  That's what touching them would be like.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »

w

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:17 AM »
Funghi need lovin' too!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 07:20:33 AM »
Funghi need lovin' too!

come over and get them then! 

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 07:36:43 AM »

No, I only touched it for a second but it seemed pretty firm, and they are really really yellow, bright yellow.   

If it had collapsed I would be screaming around the house still. 

I'm gonna go down and "smell" them.  I don't think I can touch them again though. 

"Firm"  huh?........................ .....maybe take your clothes off and sit on it.................no?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:15 AM »

"Firm"  huh?........................ .....maybe take your clothes off and sit on it.................no?

If I couldn't touch it with my finger, I certainly........well you know.    :-X

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »
  come over and get them then! 
nah enough funghi about in the woods here, I'm getting my share.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 04:12:08 AM »

Michael, ...no woman is going to want funghi anywhere near there, ...I don't care how long it's been.  :-X
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »
Thanks ~flower~, I just found this thread.  Lovely growths if you ask me.  I'm glad you got pix (and that STella was able to identify the dog stinkhorn for you.

I wouldn't put Miracle Grow chemicals on fruit trees, or on anything, I'm kinda organic.
But that's just me.
xL

Please keep us posted and tell us what comes up next?