Author Topic: Alcohol can increase HDL *high density lipo protien*(the good cholesterol)  (Read 6006 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
a whole lot more than we think. it is the best supplement out here is proof

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/122/4/620

some of the most deizel dudes ripped  eat alot workout alot and drink alot
A

The Squadfather

• Getbig V

are you going to start doing it to get big and diesel?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Studies have linked moderate alcohol comsumption to reduced rates of heart disease.

Alcohol in moderation is fine, even for a bodybuilder! Stop think "oh a beer or drink is gonna make me go into a catabolic state!" Fucking myth right there.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
So when i have ten pints of lager then shit myself I am doing myself some good?

Great, best news in years

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
I drank 250ml of alcohol every night.. I did not get fat or lose muscle. And I'm talking about liquor.

Trust me on this! Alcohol is okay, as long as you keep track of the calories.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
I think I am going to start putting alcohol in my water bottle so I can get drunk while I workout; that way I can be ready to hit up the bars by the time I leave the gym...kill two birds with one stone!!
LOL. This is right up there with the aliens hiding in thunderstorms to harvest the lightning's energy.

/someone should start a dw archive. pure gold.

affy

zane used to drink beer for his contest prep

The Coach

Old news.....but it's funny that this study was done with alcoholics, studies using alcolhol in moderation (1-2 drinks per day) have been around for at least the last few years show a lower morality rate by reducing CHD, but more studies have shown that anything more increases mortality.

The study above only shows the lower HDL tests it doesn't show everything else that could be wrong, so testing alcoholics IMO was stupid and misleading. Here's something al little more accurate.......

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/94/11/3023

BTW, neither study shows the effect of consuming alcohol while performing a bench press with 405, but it would be safe to say that test would just add to the mortality rate :-\!!

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
I've been clean from alcohol for almost 5 weeks now after drinking 750 ML of Vodka once every 2 or 3 days for almost 2 years.  During the previous 2 years, the only extended period of time I didn't drink was before a show in the summer of 2005.  I only drank once in about a 3 month period.

I've put on 4 pounds since I quit drinking and I'm LEANER than I was before.  I squatted the most I've ever squatted in my life on Tuesday for reps.  I did 395 for 10 and 455 for 3 reps to parallel.  My strength has gone up immediately in everything.  Alcohol had greatly supressed my test levels.  I managed to stay lean during those 2 years but hardly made any gains whatsoever in mass.  I pretty much ran in place for 2 years.  The alcohol would have ruined my physique completely if I were not so obsessive with how I eat and how much cardio I do.  You wouldn't have known I had a problem if you saw me due to how much I exercised.

In short, if you think drinking too much on a regular basis doesn't supress gains in the gym you are an absolute idiot.  It drops your test levels, makes it harder for you to get lean and throws your diet out of balance.  Drinking in moderation once a week or every 10 days isn't going to kill you and will probably allow someone to loosen up a little easier/blow of a little steam when out.  But getting semi-trashed (or completely trashed as I was) every other day or once every 3 days is a surefire recipe for making no gains in the gym. 

Not a road you want to go down.  Not good for your health, your social life, your family or your body.  Stay clean and lean.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Ego, I agree with everything you just said.

But let's can the notion that heavy drinking once in a while is bad for a bodybuilder. It's not.

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
Every once in a while wouldn't hurt anything unless someone is getting behind the wheel of a car.  Bodybuilders are naturally high strung and it is a way to take the edge off every now and then.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
alcohol is excellent for staying lean, staying stress-free(NOTHING is worse or more catabolic than stress), and staying upbeat and motivated. drinking while doing cardio is ok. drinking and lifting weights i would not recommend. unless you are just going for a deadlift PR in which case theres no danger of you dropping it on yourself and you will be extra fired up and motivated.

The Coach

alcohol is excellent for staying lean, staying stress-free(NOTHING is worse or more catabolic than stress), and staying upbeat and motivated. drinking while doing cardio is ok. drinking and lifting weights i would not recommend. unless you are just going for a deadlift PR in which case theres no danger of you dropping it on yourself and you will be extra fired up and motivated.

1. Alcohol increases appetite and the extra calories will add weight, one gram of alcohol is 7 calories.

2. Who ever told you drinking while exercising is an idiot, it causes a number of problems.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
two other good ways to increase HDL:

1. cardio exercise (pro the best way)

2. olive oil
you are gay.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
two other good ways to increase HDL:

1. cardio exercise (pro the best way)

2. olive oil

actually mainly saturated fat and weightraining super set high intense
A

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
actually,
aerobic excerise and monounsaturated fats such as olive oil.
you are gay.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
more...

One hundred subjects drank some alcohol for 4 weeks (mean intake 18.4g/d) and abstained totally for 4 weeks, the order of these periods being randomized.

Alcohol appeared to produce a rise of 7% in serum high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, probably due to a rise in the HDL2, subfraction.

so thats damn good couple that with holding less water with the diuretic effect and you have a slightly tighter near peaked physique while eating high calories
A

The Coach

more...

One hundred subjects drank some alcohol for 4 weeks (mean intake 18.4g/d) and abstained totally for 4 weeks, the order of these periods being randomized.

Alcohol appeared to produce a rise of 7% in serum high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, probably due to a rise in the HDL2, subfraction.

so thats damn good couple that with holding less water with the diuretic effect and you have a slightly tighter near peaked physique while eating high calories

You don't get it do you adam?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
1. Alcohol increases appetite and the extra calories will add weight, one gram of alcohol is 7 calories.

2. Who ever told you drinking while exercising is an idiot, it causes a number of problems.
you mean a wine spritzer isn't cool?  :)

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged

yea it it also unbinds  bound testosterone       hence the term beer muscles

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
yea it it also unbinds  bound testosterone       hence the term beer muscles

alcohol is interesting as it clears testosterone out of your system right to your wang for an epic sensitive wang feeling and spermload
A

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
I think alcohol is the primary reason I haven't been able to get ripped.  I drink virtually every night, not getting drunk, but 4-5 cocktails maybe, and yet I still wonder why I can't get below 10% bodyfat.  The truth is, I'll take the trade-off of being able to drink what I want and have fun, doing cardio to make up for it, yet still never get REAL lean.  This is me, 2 years ago, NO PUMP, at my leanest.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
I think alcohol is the primary reason I haven't been able to get ripped.  I drink virtually every night, not getting drunk, but 4-5 cocktails maybe, and yet I still wonder why I can't get below 10% bodyfat.  The truth is, I'll take the trade-off of being able to drink what I want and have fun, doing cardio to make up for it, yet still never get REAL lean.  This is me, 2 years ago, NO PUMP, at my leanest.
Monster truth. My buds ask all the time about diet/exercise stuff, and I just tell them the first step should be to stop drinking for one month and see what a difference that will make. They all nod in agreement, but next time I see them, they still have a cocktail attached to their hand.  :-\ 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

yeah i think the main thing is you dont eat enough and secondly that may be a little too much alcohol or not it depends how active you are

if you are doing 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weights per day and eating alot and drinking that drinking will get rid of extra water while alot of food will build and repair and give you a new physique...

my basic rule is if im tired and burnt out and dont feel like working out ALWAYS THEN EAT SOMETHING THEN GO WORKOUT                 
A

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!

Try switching to wine, cocktails are laden with sugars.