Author Topic: Congratulations to the true 1980 Mr. Olympia winner Mike Mentzer!  (Read 85068 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Ray tried to help Mike but he regretted letting Mike get involved in running his gym in the early 80s. Later Mike looked after Ray. Quite sad what happened to both of them.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
dude u gotta see the actual rolling video footage. the photos dont mean shit. believe me.

Well then post the footage or something because of all the clips and pics I have seen Arnold won and all the Arnold haters seem to be bitter cause he did it at 75-80%. Arnold was the best ever for a reason, no one in his time even compared until the 1980 Mr. O and he still won hands down.
I

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
About the booing at the 80 Olympia. When Arnold was announced the winner there was a lot of booing but there was also cheering. The booing faded and the cheering continued. Arnold was very popular in Sydney. A lot of bodybuilders weren't happy with the result. I gave the contest to Arnold and it was confirmed after looking at all the photos I took at the judging and evening show. He had the best arms and chest and his back and calves looked good, too. Only his thighs let him down a bit. Dickerson had small arms. Zane wasn't very big. Coe had few abs. Mentzer had a gut in some poses. Walker was blocky. Callender wasn't as sharp as he was in 79. Tinerino was perhaps the hardest guy but somehow wasn't near the top. Danny was the biggest, size for size, but was totally overlooked and never compared. Platz was weak in his upper body. Waller wasn't that cut. And so it goes.......Arnold first and the rest second.

Your the only one giving an honest report on what happened that night, I knew you could be useful sometimes. Your one of the few people around who can give us the actual low down on how everything looked and happened during the show. I hold this opinion of yours highly because it's known your not the biggest fan of Arnold as a person but you still recognize greatness when you see it.
I

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Arnold definately destroyed their minds, thats for sure. :D

Well, yours at least since you still buy that theory. He's gotten a lot of mileage out of it, as you prove.

Mentzer would never have won, he didn't have the leaness of Schwarzenegger or Zane despite the rhetoric from some about conditioning. Abs and thigs were both a little smooth, and chest was never great.

Schwarzenegger despite the flaws still looked better than the rest.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
A lot of people booed but when the Joe raised Arnold's hand the booing stopped and the cheering continued. In the movie The Comeback made of the show they omitted the booing, I heard, but there you are it happened. It wasn't that they booed Arnold but the decision. Once he beamed and accepted the Sandow all was forgotten and Sydney celebrated Arnold as the champion.

I was on the harbour cruise after the contest. Joe Weider was there and Arnold and Franco and most of the competitors. Zane went back to the Hilton and Mike Mentzer, Boyer Coe and Dennis Tinerino didn't come. That was the last time they presented trophies to the place getters. No one in history has torn up a cheque! Those who missed the boat missed a great outing. Casey Viator told me, "Hey kid, is it 10 years since we won our titles?!"  I had to laugh because I was much older than Casey was. Arnold came to my gym the next day with Franco who put on a seminar there. Franco seemed to know more about the art of chiropractic than bodybuilding!

When the booing was occurring I wondered what would happen and how Arnold would take it. Nobody expected the booing. It was spontaneous but didn't persist and the rest is history. A lot of fans would have placed Arnold first. I mean, could you place him second to the others?

Eric2

• Getbig IV
no. he was not the best bodybuilder that nite. the competitors all said the same. the fans said the same. even the crowd boo'd him off. now when does a crowd boo arnold!  u gotta get serious with urself, and remove arnold's penis from ur ass.

also the judging was rigged.
  go fuck yourself.
h

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV

I was on the harbour cruise after the contest. Joe Weider was there and Arnold and Franco and most of the competitors. Zane went back to the Hilton and Mike Mentzer, Boyer Coe and Dennis Tinerino didn't come.

MORE INSIGHTS PLEASE.

also do u think arnold believes he should have won?

I think he looked small in certain poses compared to the others. and their conditioning was much better.

his rear double biceps however blows anyone away in history of bodybuilding. for some reason his arms seem to have a definition and detail none others have. do u think that is genetic? i am speaking mainly on the outer arm
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
It turned out that the contest was between Arnold, Chris Dickerson and Frank Zane. Well, when those three were compared Arnold blew them away in some poses. Chris looked fabulous by himself and posed to perfection. Zane presented himself like the champion he was. Coe had the best routine because every pose showed him looking great.

The comparisons sorted out the finalists and Arnold standing beside a small Zane and an even shorter Dickerson really dominated those guys. You should have seen the difference in the side chest. Contest over. Same goes for triceps. Naturally, Arnold sneaked in a biceps shot while doing the triceps pose! Dickerson had better legs than Arnold but not better proportions. Plus, there was something funny about Chris' elbows. They stood out and detracted from his arms.

One after one of the top guys impressed after doing their posing routines. Matter of fact several of the top guys got 20 out of 20 in that round, same as what Arnold got. The comparisons gave Arnold the edge. The posing rounds also created the closeness that we saw in the final tally. Had they not had rounds Arnold would have won easily. Instead, the judges gave someone 20 and then when others came out he had to give them 20 as well. That happened a lot during the judging. There were only a few judges who separated the men in each round. Not as easy thing to do so I am not blaming the judging. The IFBB executive would have been oblivious to the shortcomings in their judging system and that same method is still used which is partly responsible for the controversial decisions ever since 1980 and perhaps before.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
The 80 Olympia should have resulted in a revamped judging system.

Okay, follow what happened. Three rounds where each competitor is scored out of 20. First guy comes out and looks fabulous so you score him 20. The next guy looks as good. Give him 20 as well. The 3rd guy wasn't as good as the first 2 so you give him 19. Then the 4th guy looks better than any of the previous guys what do you score him? Well, the same 20.

What should happen is after the first competitor you collect scores and then award the competitor 15 and have room for better competitors.

Sure Arnold was a bit small on his thighs. The rest of him was as good as his 75 shape. Nowhere near as good as 73. However, the other guys weren't anywhere near as big as Arnold. Well, except for Danny Padilla who was short and no one bothered to rate him high.

After the show we had a meeting at my gym where the fans and bodybuilders were really upset. We formed a new organization after that and Paul Graham continued to run his IFBB shows. In 1982 John Terilli won our show and we sent him to NABBA where he won his class in the Mr Universe and lost the overall to John Brown who apparently outposed him.

We evolved a judging process that took care of two requirements. First, to fairly separate the bodybuilders and second, to make sure no one was overlooked. We had the men stand in a line where they were introduced to the audience. Even at the judging. The open competitors were first because why should they have to wait until all the juniors, etc., did their thing? We did the front, side, back, side, front standing lineup. Then competitors left the stage and came back individually to pose. Judges took down the numbers of those who impressed so that they could be compared later. After the posing everyone was brought back in a lineup and then groups were brought out to be compared. This process continued until every judge was happy he could place the top guys. At this point the judging process was completed and the supervisor tallied the scores and then printed out the results that were distributed after the final placings were announced. Every score of every judge was on that printout. The supervisor might announce the closeness of the contest so that the audience would appreciate what happened during the judging. We never received any complaints about the judging.

kimo

• Getbig III
a strange contest to say the least mike mentzer raved about this for many years personally ieould have had coe first arnold second

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
Take that all you Vince Basile bashers!  Thankyou Vince for your tremendous insight. You are a true historian.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Vince definately had the best seat in the house, judging by this photo he took.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Mike definately one of the greats

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
I honestly beleive Arnold has the greatest Bodybuilding Mind on the Planet.He was only 80% in 80 MrO it was a brilliant move to put Mike Menzter in 5th and not give him second or the conspiracy theroies would have spirraled.
Menzter was screwed to bad his fragile mind collapsed he should have continued BB in another federation.
Arnold was allways going to win he and Joe Weider was genius i bet they sold a stack of magazines.
I,m not taking anything away from Arnold he was a Legend.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
I honestly beleive Arnold has the greatest Bodybuilding Mind on the Planet.He was only 80% in 80 MrO it was a brilliant move to put Mike Menzter in 5th and not give him second or the conspiracy theroies would have spirraled.
Menzter was screwed to bad his fragile mind collapsed he should have continued BB in another federation.
Arnold was allways going to win he and Joe Weider was genius i bet they sold a stack of magazines.

clever man....now this is a clever anecdote.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

davidpaul

• Getbig V
I agree there,

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
Mike was a great BB, but that contest went to Arnold. Mike looked good standing alone, but fades away standing next to Arnold. If any O was rigged it was 1981, but fuk it.
MIRAGETROPIN

kimo

• Getbig III
idont think his shape in 1980 was as good as 1975 his side chest was weaker than pictures of 1975 arnold was 227 pounds bwt in 1975  what was hi bwt in 1980

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
idont think his shape in 1980 was as good as 1975 his side chest was weaker than pictures of 1975 arnold was 227 pounds bwt in 1975  what was hi bwt in 1980

I believe it was between 215-220lbs from what I've heard.
I

kimo

• Getbig III
arnold wanted to put the small soldiers like zane and mentzer in their place . his hair looked like he was out of the shower . no combing no nothing . small sport . . and arnold presence and name helped him to win .

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
Well, yours at least since you still buy that theory. He's gotten a lot of mileage out of it, as you prove.

Mentzer would never have won, he didn't have the leaness of Schwarzenegger or Zane despite the rhetoric from some about conditioning. Abs and thigs were both a little smooth, and chest was never great.

Schwarzenegger despite the flaws still looked better than the rest.

I see why Pumpster left the forum.  Mentzer didn't have the leanness of Arnie or Zane?  ROTFLOL.  It's clear he actually sacrificed size for conditioning (hence the myth that he had "no chest" in 1980.  Look again.  It's nowhere near as big as Walker's or Arnold's, but it's dense and hard as stone, as were his abs and thighs.

I do tend to think Arnold should've won.  People piss and moan about it since he was nowhere near his best, but his shitty, slimmer form was still entirely too much for that field.  It'd take a Haney to beat an in-shape Arnold, and Lee was years away.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
bumpity bump

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
 >:(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Arnold even at 80% still won that show. For me the film really tells without question he should have won. Everyone looked like crap next to him. Zane was ripped but to small. Dickerson looked fantastic but next to Arnold you couldn't give it to him. Danny looked good but he was to smooth. Mentzer didn't come in second or third or even forth. He was fifth in the contest. I know his fans a rabid but there is no way he should have won.