Author Topic: BACK TRAINING  (Read 54865 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: BACK TRAINING
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
Is this what you mean:
Yeah, that's it, except the one at my gym is a little bigger and shaped more like a Home Plate. I'm not sure why all gyms don't have one of these...were talking about a small piece of equipment that I would imagine is pretty cheap.

L2H, they make some handle bar attachments that you can hook on the BB so that you can have differant hand positions similar to what you're talking about. The gym I train at has to, one is very wide, wider then shoulder width and the other the handles are right next to each other...for both of them though they are very long and it creates a space between your hands and the bar that I'd say is around 20". I don't care for those attachments simply because it cuts down on the range of motion a good bit. By the time the handles you're holding hit your body, you don't have your elbows tucked up as far as you would if you were using a V-grip or just grabbing the bar.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
Yeah, that's it, except the one at my gym is a little bigger and shaped more like a Home Plate. I'm not sure why all gyms don't have one of these...were talking about a small piece of equipment that I would imagine is pretty cheap.

L2H, they make some handle bar attachments that you can hook on the BB so that you can have differant hand positions similar to what you're talking about. The gym I train at has to, one is very wide, wider then shoulder width and the other the handles are right next to each other...for both of them though they are very long and it creates a space between your hands and the bar that I'd say is around 20". I don't care for those attachments simply because it cuts down on the range of motion a good bit. By the time the handles you're holding hit your body, you don't have your elbows tucked up as far as you would if you were using a V-grip or just grabbing the bar.

I tried these tonight...jammed a bar in the corner and used the close grip handles.  They are basically bent over rows, right?  It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, and the close grip handles seem awfully CLOSE...like my hands were only a few inches apart, and when I pulled the weight, it kept hitting me in the chest.  But I got the hang of it, I think.   My heavy sets had 70 pounds on the bar...not sure what kind of weight I should be working with but that felt heavy. 

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2007, 07:01:49 PM »

I tried these tonight...jammed a bar in the corner and used the close grip handles.  They are basically bent over rows, right?  It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, and the close grip handles seem awfully CLOSE...like my hands were only a few inches apart, and when I pulled the weight, it kept hitting me in the chest.  But I got the hang of it, I think.   My heavy sets had 70 pounds on the bar...not sure what kind of weight I should be working with but that felt heavy. 

Yeah thats sounds about right rip baby.  Did you use a 45 plate?  some people use 25s to get a better contraction and be able to pull the weight higher up.  Really though you should be fine with the range of motion the bigger plates allow.  It does take some getting used to.  Keep your legs bent some and pull the handle to your stomach.  Watch your back on these, especially pulling it up from the floor.  Keep some arch in it and pull with your lats.  70lbs sounds pretty good for first time.  We will need to see 100+ in a few months though  :P

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »
Yeah thats sounds about right rip baby.  Did you use a 45 plate?  some people use 25s to get a better contraction and be able to pull the weight higher up.  Really though you should be fine with the range of motion the bigger plates allow.  It does take some getting used to.  Keep your legs bent some and pull the handle to your stomach.  Watch your back on these, especially pulling it up from the floor.  Keep some arch in it and pull with your lats.  70lbs sounds pretty good for first time.  We will need to see 100+ in a few months though  :P

YEP, that's it...AWESOME PIC, thanks for that.   ;)

I fkn loooooooooooooooove Arnold.  LOVE HIM!!   8)
His training pics are just the best!

I used two 25s and two 10s...I can tell that the 25s work better as I can pull the weight closer.  From that pic, it looks like I did it about right.  I'll have to keep those in the rotation since I don't use the T bar set-up.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »

Yeah, they are similar to bent over rows, but it's a differant feel IMO...hit's the middle of the back a bit harder...at least I think so.

There is always a lot of disagreement about how far over you should bend when doing these. Form sticklers say bent all the way over at 45 degrees. Well that's fine but I prefer a slightly less bend then 45...not sure what the exact angle is, it's not standing straight up or a half ass bend. Point being, when you're all the way over at a complete 45 degree angle, the plates will hit your chest sooner then they would if you were up just a little. I know some will knock doing them this way, but I like it better...bigger range of motion.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2007, 03:48:59 AM »
What kind of handle/grip is Arnold using in that pic? 
I used the close grip handle, it was the only one I could find that I thought would work well.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2007, 05:09:19 AM »
What kind of handle/grip is Arnold using in that pic? 
I used the close grip handle, it was the only one I could find that I thought would work well.

Well im almost 100% sure about this but Arnold is using a T-bar machine and not just a BB in a corner.  That is like the handle on the one in my gym, most also usually give you the option of a close grip too.  You will not find old skool t-bar rows much in todays fitness center type gyms.  Glad my chain has kept somewhat to its hardcore roots by still having one.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »
Well im almost 100% sure about this but Arnold is using a T-bar machine and not just a BB in a corner.  That is like the handle on the one in my gym, most also usually give you the option of a close grip too.  You will not find old skool t-bar rows much in todays fitness center type gyms.  Glad my chain has kept somewhat to its hardcore roots by still having one.

Yes. The former gym I frequented replaced that fine piece of equipment. I didn't really liked it when they did that.  >:(

Maybe I should built one myself, and use it at home.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »
OH YEAH.......I see now that it's a machine and not a bar.  I guess there were other things in that picture that were distracting me from the obvious.   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:20 AM »
OH YEAH.......I see now that it's a machine and not a bar.  I guess there were other things in that picture that were distracting me from the obvious.   ;D

;D

Did back Tuesday and did some different stuff.  lately and I think I mostly do different stuff each training session.  Really the stuff is not all that different but the sequence and types of excersises is always changing.  One thing if  do will almost always be first is pull ups, if I dont do em first will have a very hard time getting the reps later in the workout.

Pullups:  4x10-14  BW pullups are getting too easy now for me at this contest prep weight.  So on the middle 2 sets I added 25lbs with a chain belt, love using that thing!!

Seated cable rows: 5x10-12  Just keeping the form tight and using as much weight as I can, I used a close grip handle

Hammer reverse grip pull downs:  4X10-12

One arm cable rows:  4X12  Just squezze these and feel the lats working.  This move helps get your mind/muscle going.

Cable pullovers: 3X12 just to pump up and put the final touch in.

Not the greatest workout but felt good and had a nice pump.  Did not get very sore from it, a bit.  But not like if I did some free weight rowing move like BB rows or something.  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
That's a pretty good workout a week out from the show, you must be TIRED. 
I always grow to love the exercises that get easier at a lower body weight (like pullups), and then hate them again when I get fat.   ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »
I always grow to love the exercises that get easier at a lower body weight (like pullups), and then hate them again when I get fat.   ;D

Wait a minute...you get fat? Say it ain't so ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2007, 05:33:04 PM »
Wait a minute...you get fat? Say it ain't so ;)
hopefully she'll post some pictures so i can drool, looks fuucking AWESOME.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
hopefully she'll post some pictures so i can drool, looks fuucking AWESOME.
Hold on...you mean you actually like women ;) Good call on rip though...she is definitely one smokin hot pocket!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:21 PM »

Yeah pretty tired, not sleeping real well either.  Thank God for the nap I get to take at lunch  ;) 

Yep is nice to have to add weight on pull ups. Off season when Im about 20-25 lbs heavier no need for the extra weight then LOL and 12 reps is a struggle on anything after the first set.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2007, 04:42:54 AM »
LOL I guess the more PC term is "off-season."    ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »

I did these again last night as part of my backworkout.  Did a warmup set, and then did three sets of 10 with 75 pounds on the bar.  It was hard!  I think it'll be a while before I'm pulling 100 pounds on that bar.  These are good though, thanks for the suggestion guys...I was in need of some different stuff in my back workout. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2007, 05:27:47 PM »

I did these again last night as part of my backworkout.  Did a warmup set, and then did three sets of 10 with 75 pounds on the bar.  It was hard!  I think it'll be a while before I'm pulling 100 pounds on that bar.  These are good though, thanks for the suggestion guys...I was in need of some different stuff in my back workout. 

Sounds good Rip! Keep working hard  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2007, 04:34:23 AM »
I have been so busy that I haven't trained nearly as much as I should have.  All of my training for the last couple of weeks was focused on the bench press.  I FINALLY got into the gym and did my first back workout in three weeks.

I don't remember too much about the weights/reps, but here's what I did...I'm incorporating a small bicep workout into my back days, since my bench press training doesn't call for alot of bicep work (gotta keep the elbows injury free).  I'd like to also incorporate some trap work into my back day, but I didn't get anything specific in last night.

-warmup 2 sets x 15 weight assisted pullups
-4 sets wide grip pulldowns
-3 sets cable ribcage pullovers
-4 sets Nautilus compound row machine
-3 sets DB bicep curls
-3 sets close grip pulldowns
-3 sets Nautilus bicep curl machine (not sure I like it but i figured I would give it a try)

I'm fairly certain this will put a hurting on me.  Tonight is legs, which I also haven't done in three weeks.   :-\

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2007, 04:51:04 AM »
I have been so busy that I haven't trained nearly as much as I should have.  All of my training for the last couple of weeks was focused on the bench press.  I FINALLY got into the gym and did my first back workout in three weeks.

I don't remember too much about the weights/reps, but here's what I did...I'm incorporating a small bicep workout into my back days, since my bench press training doesn't call for alot of bicep work (gotta keep the elbows injury free).  I'd like to also incorporate some trap work into my back day, but I didn't get anything specific in last night.

-warmup 2 sets x 15 weight assisted pullups
-4 sets wide grip pulldowns
-3 sets cable ribcage pullovers
-4 sets Nautilus compound row machine
-3 sets DB bicep curls
-3 sets close grip pulldowns
-3 sets Nautilus bicep curl machine (not sure I like it but i figured I would give it a try)

I'm fairly certain this will put a hurting on me.  Tonight is legs, which I also haven't done in three weeks.   :-\

Cool Rip baby it had to feel good to hit those muscles you have not in a while.  I see you have added in pull overs, I like them too on back day.  Have you added them to help with the PL?

I will accept the time restraint excuses till after the holidays like till January 2, then its go time.....or else!  :-*            ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »
Cool Rip baby it had to feel good to hit those muscles you have not in a while.  I see you have added in pull overs, I like them too on back day.  Have you added them to help with the PL?

I will accept the time restraint excuses till after the holidays like till January 2, then its go time.....or else!  :-*            ;D

I actually just threw in the pullovers because I was standing right next to the cable while my husband was finishing his pulldowns.   ;D
I think they are better with dumbells, like you have described before.  I am really not sure if they are working my back much when I do them standing up with the cable because it's always my triceps that start burning, even though I keep my chest up and arms locked. 

I'm on a mission to get back to my full training routine, which is only four days a week of lifting right now, so it really shouldn't be THAT hard for me to accomplish.   ::)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2007, 11:39:37 AM »
Back workout last night....
I've been kinda flailing a little on training anything other than chest, but I am managing to get in semi-decent back workouts.  I am slightly concerned about my back, as back size is a weak spot for me, and I have not made any progress on it this off-season yet.  This will have to be my priority after the bench meet in Feb.  I'll probably switch things up and start trying to hit back twice a week.

This was a FAST workout...in and out in about 50 mins.

- 3 sets weight assisted pullups, wide grip, x 15
- 4 sets hammer strength lat pulldown machine, 55 pounds on each side x 12 (kinda light)
- 4 sets Nautilus compound row machine x 12
- 3 sets close grip pulldowns x 12
- 1 superset close grip pulldown/compound row, 12 each
- 2 sets cable straight bar bicep curls

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »
  I'll probably switch things up and start trying to hit back twice a week.

You going to make it one day for thickness, and one day for width? Seems a lot of people bring their backs up doing it that way.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2007, 07:58:07 PM »
You going to make it one day for thickness, and one day for width? Seems a lot of people bring their backs up doing it that way.

I haven't really thought about it yet, but I've heard of that approach.   I'll have to do my homework and make that my new mission after February. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
I did a decent back workout this week, I'm still a little "all over the place" with my training (except for chest of course LOL), but at least I am getting back workouts in!  I hit my lower back pretty good on this one b/c I am not training legs till this weekend.

-3 sets wide grip assisted pullups x 15
-4 sets wide grip pulldowns (120/130 pounds) x 8-10
-4 sets lower back hyper-extensions x 12 (I call these reverse situps)
-3 sets Hammer Strength low row x 10-12 (this hits the traps pretty good)
-4 sets Nautilus compound row x 12 (125 pounds, I think)
-3 sets Nautilus Lower back machine with 110 pounds x 12
-2 sets close grip pulldowns x 10 ... these were hurting my left shoulder (it's been aching a lot this week :() so I stopped at 2 sets

I finished off with 5 sets on the Cybex preacher curl (biceps) machine.