Author Topic: squats-no need to go heavy  (Read 6141 times)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: squats-no need to go heavy
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2007, 10:25:29 PM »
Would squatting 315 10 times be more productive than 215 20 times ?  Im not really talking about 135 except for warming up, but you probably could benefit from doing 25-30 reps with that if you had back problems. 

I haven't read the rest of the posts in this thread yet, but as a general rule, I'd say the most important thing is total TONNAGE.  I.e. over the course of the workout, look at how many pounds you have made your muscles lift.  If you think in those terms, it might add a different and constructive approach to your lifting.  To answer your question in light of this: 315x10 = 3,150 lbs.  215x20 = 4,300.  So, even though you're lifting 100 lbs less for your working weight, your muscles actually are forced to lift more total tonnage with this lighter weight.  Of course it's best to stretch yourself to the max and go for maximum total tonnage AND highest working weight possible...

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2007, 06:19:31 AM »
I haven't read the rest of the posts in this thread yet, but as a general rule, I'd say the most important thing is total TONNAGE.  I.e. over the course of the workout, look at how many pounds you have made your muscles lift.  If you think in those terms, it might add a different and constructive approach to your lifting.  To answer your question in light of this: 315x10 = 3,150 lbs.  215x20 = 4,300.  So, even though you're lifting 100 lbs less for your working weight, your muscles actually are forced to lift more total tonnage with this lighter weight.  Of course it's best to stretch yourself to the max and go for maximum total tonnage AND highest working weight possible...

and if all else fails...you could try this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkvrVq_0CM

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
one day some guys walked into the gym and the great Ken Patera was loading plates on the bar in the squat rack, 3 plates and some change per side, the guys said, "great we're finally gonna get to see Ken squat", Ken put the weight on the back of his shoulders and started banging out strict presses behind the neck with it.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007, 07:58:39 AM »
one day some guys walked into the gym and the great Ken Patera was loading plates on the bar in the squat rack, 3 plates and some change per side, the guys said, "great we're finally gonna get to see Ken squat", Ken put the weight on the back of his shoulders and started banging out strict presses behind the neck with it.

LOL BANDED BEHIND THE NECK PRESSES?!!  :o :o

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
LOL BANDED BEHIND THE NECK PRESSES?!!  :o :o
hahahaha, Ken was a beast, tore a parking meter out of a sidewalk, deadlfted 785 on a York powerlifting bar for 3 reps and shrugged the weight so hard on the last rep that the bar bent.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
hahahaha, Ken was a beast, tore a parking meter out of a sidewalk, deadlfted 785 on a York powerlifting bar for 3 reps and shrugged the weight so hard on the last rep that the bar bent.

I wish we had some dudes like that in any of the local gyms around here... sad to say I'm one of two strong people I've ever met in a gym.  :-\

AND I'D PAY MONEY TO WATCH SOMEONE RIP A PARKING METER OUT OF THE SIDEWALK! especially that fucker that got me ticketed down town! my luck I'd look like some tool melting down trying to skull fuck a parking meter instead of making any progress with it!  ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2007, 08:30:09 AM »
I wish we had some dudes like that in any of the local gyms around here... sad to say I'm one of two strong people I've ever met in a gym.  :-\

AND I'D PAY MONEY TO WATCH SOMEONE RIP A PARKING METER OUT OF THE SIDEWALK! especially that fucker that got me ticketed down town! my luck I'd look like some tool melting down trying to skull fuck a parking meter instead of making any progress with it!  ;D
yeah World's Strongest man competitor Bruce Wilhelm wrote a little book about Ken and said that when him and ken would train together that even the strongest guys would stop what they were doing and watch Ken train.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
yeah World's Strongest man competitor Bruce Wilhelm wrote a little book about Ken and said that when him and ken would train together that even the strongest guys would stop what they were doing and watch Ken train.

not many like that around anymore... most of our big dudes are so geared out that 198lb men can squat over half a ton.  :-\

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »

haha, great story.