Author Topic: Has your body ever just said enough?  (Read 8213 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Has your body ever just said enough?
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:39 AM »
lol enough calories to destroy a bodypart? doing a split workout doesnt increase your caloric need by a significant degree unless you star doing 100set workout for 5 hours.

to be honest, your body has had enough because you dont sleep enough + you drink almost daily...you already know what you have to do.

training your legs during one session and upperbody during another session is also a split workout. (upper/lower body split..or a 2 split).

i think you need to spend more time in the training forum and less in the XYZ forums.

Well, 10 years ago or so, these splits were mainly for steroid users. I used to hear all the time that you can't recover fron a 20 some odd set workout on one bodypart without assistance. Like I said, I have tried it, I wasn't thrilled with the results but its time to try it again. And yes I am an insomniac and I like to drink and do drugs. that doesn't mean I can't hit the gym hard.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 07:23:08 AM »
Well, 10 years ago or so, these splits were mainly for steroid users. I used to hear all the time that you can't recover fron a 20 some odd set workout on one bodypart without assistance. Like I said, I have tried it, I wasn't thrilled with the results but its time to try it again. And yes I am an insomniac and I like to drink and do drugs. that doesn't mean I can't hit the gym hard.

yes it can, and more importanly it effects your recuperation which makes your supposed hard workouts alot less effective.

split workout can be used by naturals. a natural can do 20 sets per workout without overtraining. but if your gonna do 20 sets per workout, dont go to failure on more than handful sets. (at most)

that being said, you can get great results from a simple upper/lower body split....so why dont you stick to that if you dont like to do split workouts?

also volume is something that has to be gradually increased so the body can be given time to adapt

also, doing a split workout doesnt mean you have to do 20 sets. you can do 10..you can do 11 or 4 sets. its up to you.

in bodybuilding the split you use (as long as its not totally fucked up) doesnt matter that much when you look at it in the long run...as long as your consistent and eat a caloric surplus with protein consumtion at 1 g /lbs bw and day.

do what you like, but make sure you have some kind of progression in your routine! (increase weights and/or sets, less rest between sets etc etc)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2007, 07:34:13 AM »

that being said, you can get great results from a simple upper/lower body split....so why dont you stick to that if you dont like to do split workouts?

I am just sick of it for now, want to try something different.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2007, 07:42:40 AM »
I am just sick of it for now, want to try something different.

i can understand that 100%..you need to try something new then. first take some days off tho.

there are 100s of different routines that can work, IF you work hard and smart.

my advice would be to try a 3 or 4 day split. ( a split workout doesnt mean you forgo the basics...it just lets you add some more isolation work than a 2 way split does)

in the bodybuilding world, the routine you use has been given too much value..when in reality hard work and consistency can make a mediocre workout routine golden!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
i can understand that 100%..you need to try something new then. first take some days off tho.

there are 100s of different routines that can work, IF you work hard and smart.

my advice would be to try a 3 or 4 day split. ( a split workout doesnt mean you forgo the basics...it just lets you add some more isolation work than a 2 way split does)

in the bodybuilding world, the routine you use has been given too much value..when in reality hard work and consistency can make a mediocre workout routine golden!

Good advice, but I decided not to take any time off, had a good chest workout yesterday and am planning on hitting shoulders and tris today.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »
Good advice, but I decided not to take any time off, had a good chest workout yesterday and am planning on hitting shoulders and tris today.

there you go...just keep working hard, and cut down on the booze.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »
there you go...just keep working hard, and cut down on the booze.

Yep, I am gonna cut the alcohol a bit.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Hey Bluto, I am going to do shoulders and tri's in a few hours. How about giving me exercises, sets etc. Fwiw, I had 3 Budweisers last night and that's it.
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »
Hey Bluto, I am going to do shoulders and tri's in a few hours. How about giving me exercises, sets etc. Fwiw, I had 3 Budweisers last night and that's it.

i would put some pressing exercise as the big one for shoulders. whether you prefer with a bb, or db, standing or seated, or in the smith doesnt matter so much. 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. i personally dont like to go so low in reps on shoulders as theyre probably the most common muscle group to injure (unless you have really strong shoulders, some do and they can get away with anything)

follow that up with some lateral raises. and then finish it off with some exercise for the read delts. maybe if you have a good machine available at the gym?

for triceps i would do dips, depending on how strong you are it's akward to add on weight... if thats necessary might wanna start with some other excercise for triceps and do dips as second or third exercise. some kinda power movement, either close grip benches if youre familiar with that, or lying tricep extension. 3 sets of 8-10.
finish it off with rope pushdowns where you pull the rope to the sides at the end of the movement. 3 sets/max reps (at least 10-12) for pump and burn!

8)
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 02:01:40 PM »

i would put some pressing exercise as the big one for shoulders. whether you prefer with a bb, or db, standing or seated, or in the smith doesnt matter so much. 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. i personally dont like to go so low in reps on shoulders as theyre probably the most common muscle group to injure (unless you have really strong shoulders, some do and they can get away with anything)

follow that up with some lateral raises. and then finish it off with some exercise for the read delts. maybe if you have a good machine available at the gym?

for triceps i would do dips, depending on how strong you are it's akward to add on weight... if thats necessary might wanna start with some other excercise for triceps and do dips as second or third exercise. some kinda power movement, either close grip benches if youre familiar with that, or lying tricep extension. 3 sets of 8-10.
finish it off with rope pushdowns where you pull the rope to the sides at the end of the movement. 3 sets/max reps for pump and burn!

8)

Sounds good. I will do some weighted dips with a 45 pounder. I will do them to failure to finish my workout. Maybe even some negatives. Then I will take off the plate and do them again to exhaustion. I will try to get at least 50, then rest a minute, 40, 30, etc. down to 10. Took you long enough ::), gotta go.  :)
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
My tri's are so pumped my Polo golf style shirt is tight around the sleeves, like The Ultimate Warrior! Could be all the dick pills I have been taking, but most likely it's Blutos state of the art training methods!
E

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »
I usually drink 5 or 6 nights a week and no problems. Maybe I am getting old. Cuz I sure as hell haven't been hitting the gym as hard as I did 5 years ago and I have been feeling weaker every time I workout. thanks.

If you are natural, you do know you are ruining your natural testo levels. Alcohol supresses the testo production. I would lay off the drink and just not drink, period.
I hate the State.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »
If you are natural, you do know you are ruining your natural testo levels. Alcohol supresses the testo production. I would lay off the drink and just not drink, period.

I had about 12 drinks tonight and I feel like a million bucks. Thanks, but that is not an option. Working out is fun, but I am not going give up having fun.
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2007, 02:55:30 AM »
My tri's are so pumped my Polo golf style shirt is tight around the sleeves, like The Ultimate Warrior! Could be all the dick pills I have been taking, but most likely it's Blutos state of the art training methods!

might be a combo there!
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
Hey Bluto, back and bi's please. Whats been taking you so long? You the super or not?
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
pull ups. followed by some row exercise either dumbbell rows or seated. if you gonna do lat pulldowns do it with a v-bar. dont know if you do shrugs on back day. if so do shrugs.
for biceps. one exercise in front of the body like barbbell curls. then might wanna do one "behind" the body seated incline dumbbel alternating curls. for third exercise i would throw hammercurls in there.

finish workout off with negative only pull ups. start from top position and slowly lower yourself for 4 seconds or so, palms facing you. this will work both back and biceps.
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »
pull ups. followed by some row exercise either dumbbell rows or seated. if you gonna do lat pulldowns do it with a v-bar. dont know if you do shrugs on back day. if so do shrugs.
for biceps. one exercise in front of the body like barbbell curls. then might wanna do one "behind" the body seated incline dumbbel alternating curls. for third exercise i would throw hammercurls in there.

finish workout off with negative only pull ups. start from top position and slowly lower yourself for 4 seconds or so, palms facing you. this will work both back and biceps.

Ok, will do. Getting motivated right now.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
next back workout, superset deadlifts with chins 16 sets.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »
next back workout, superset deadlifts with chins 16 sets.

16 total or 16 each? would that be my whole workout? What kind of reps? What if I can only get 2 or 3 chins by the end?  I only rest 15 seconds between sets.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
16 total or 16 each? would that be my whole workout? What kind of reps? What if I can only get 2 or 3 chins by the end?  I only rest 15 seconds between sets.

just to do something crazy  ;)....16 sets of each.

how many chins can you do?

also make sure to have a pretty wide grip for the deadlifts

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
just to do something crazy  ;)....16 sets of each.

how many chins can you do?

also make sure to have a pretty wide grip for the deadlifts

Thats too many sets unless I go light. I can do about 40 chins I think, I am not sure.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2007, 04:31:49 PM »
of course its too many sets..its ment to shock your body. not something your ment to do week after week.

but you can do a light version: 8-10 sets.

wide grip deadlifts supersetted with chins.

20 chins per set or so..make sure not to take chins to failure..(only last set of chins)

nothing else for back that day.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »
of course its too many sets..its ment to shock your body. not something your ment to do week after week.

but you can do a light version: 8-10 sets.

wide grip deadlifts supersetted with chins.

20 chins per set or so..make sure not to take chins to failure..(only last set of chins)

nothing else for back that day.

Ok, I will do it, but it won't be until next Wednesday or Thursday. I am not sure about this not going to failure thing though, other than warmups I always go to failure.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
Ok, I will do it, but it won't be until next Wednesday or Thursday. I am not sure about this not going to failure thing though, other than warmups I always go to failure.

well , on the chins stay 1-2 reps from failure. it will still be hard. and on deadlifts you should always be careful with going to total failure.

if you wanna go to failure..do it on chins...not on deadlifts.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2007, 04:47:01 PM »
well , on the chins stay 1-2 reps from failure. it will still be hard. and on deadlifts you should always be careful with going to total failure.

if you wanna go to failure..do it on chins...not on deadlifts.

Yeah, I wouldn't on deads anyway.
E