Author Topic: MMA/Fighting news-thread!  (Read 37514 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: MMA/Fighting news-thread!
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2007, 11:01:19 AM »
“The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz is not expected to return to action until sometime in 2008 according to a statement released by the former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight champion on Thursday.

It was expected that Ortiz would fight in October or November in a rematch with Rashad Evans, whom he fought to a draw in July.

With the recent announcement that Evans would now be facing Michael Bisping as the main event of UFC 78 in New Jersey, everyone started to wonder where exactly that put Ortiz.

“Right now I am totally focused on training,” he stated. “I have always had a reputation for being the best prepared fighter in any match I've ever entered and I intend to maintain that reputation.”

Ortiz has been dealing with multiple injuries; including a back ailment that has plagued him since around the time of his loss to current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture in 2003.

Contract negotiations with the UFC have also been ongoing as Ortiz has only one fight left on his current deal, but the California native indicated he is positive a new deal will get done.

Recently Ortiz disclosed that he no longer deals with UFC president Dana White, whom he has a long-standing feud with and now speaks directly with owner Lorenzo Fertitta.

“I'm currently working very closely with the UFC to plan my next fight, which you can be sure will not disappoint my fans,” said Ortiz. “It looks like I will fight again in early 2008 and when I do, I will be 100% prepared to crush my opponent.”

No word on whom that opponent might be.

Ortiz also stated that he is planning a return trip to Iraq later this year to visit U.S. troops, something he has done numerous times in the past as a part of the United Service Organizations' efforts to support the soldiers.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »
Just days after both Ben Rothwell and Mike Whitehead were officially dropped from the International Fight League Grand Prix many stories started circulating questioning the reasons behind their respective exits from the event.

When Kurt Otto, commissioner of the IFL, on Tuesday announced that Rothwell and Whitehead were out, he also indicated that he felt his event was being “held hostage” by the fighters and their management.

MMAWeekly spoke to Monte Cox, manager for both Rothwell and Whitehead, who explained the situation from the fighters’ side in great detail, much of which differs from Otto’s explanation of the situation.

Monte Cox in his own words:

The way this all started you have to go back to a year ago. The IFL wanted to sign everyone to a year contract with a year option. I said I’m not comfortable doing that for people like Ben Rothwell, Jay Hieron and Mike Whitehead. These are guys who have already proven themselves and I think after a year, we’re hoping that they do well and I’d like to test them then on the open market. We had some trouble getting that done, but eventually we came to terms and we signed a one-year deal.

When we signed the contract, there was no Grand Prix included. There was no Grand Prix. They hadn’t even considered it yet. It’s not in the contract. It’s not included in any of the bouts that they are supposed to do.

When they came out with the Grand Prix and they announced the names of all the people who were in it, when I first saw my guys, I was like “wow, that’s bold!” to list all my guys without even asking me if we’re going to compete in it.

I called the IFL and I go, “What’s with listing the names?” They go, “Oh no, we’re just listing the names who qualified and if they decide not to do it, we’ll just change them.” And I thought that was an odd procedure, but okay.

Then we got down to where we’re a month-and-a-half out from the show and they say, “Hey, if your guys are going to compete in the Grand Prix, they have to sign a new contract.” I said, “What?” They go, “Yeah, you have to sign a new deal.” And I said, “Well that’s interesting; we signed a one-year deal for a reason. Not to come back and then throw that away then sign a new one three months early or four months early.”

So they sent us a contract and it ends up it’s a two-year contract. It’s a one-year with an option and I go, “Hey, we’re not going to sign any of these. There is no way we’re going to sign on for two more years.” They said, “Well, if you don’t sign on for two more years, you’re out of the Grand Prix.” I said, “I guess we’re all out of the Grand Prix.”

Then about a week or ten days ago, they came back and they said, “We’re sending you new contracts and you have two days. You have to sign them in two days or else they’re no good.”

I look at the contracts and they’re one-year deals for Jay Hieron and Mike Whitehead and, honestly, they were pretty good deals. I liked the numbers, I liked the terms that they had on them and I called the guys and went through it and I said, ‘I think we ought to sign them. This is good.’”

Ben’s numbers were also better, but again, I think Ben’s a star. I think he’s got a chance to make a lot of money in the sport and we want to wait until his contract has expired, so I’m free to go out and negotiate other deals and see what I can get on the open market.

I called the IFL office and I said, “Good news. Jay is going to compete. Whitehead is going to compete. They’re both going to come in and sign tomorrow.

They said, “What about Ben?” I said, “You know with Ben, I’m still not comfortable. I want to wait until his contract is up and see what he’s worth on the open market.” They said, “If Ben doesn’t sign, the other two are out.”

And I said, “What are you talking about?” He goes “Yeah, they’re out. It’s a package deal.” I go, “Are you (expletive) kidding me? Jay Hieron and Mike Whitehead, two guys that have done nothing but fight for you, go out and win for you, qualify for the Grand Prix, and they want to sign a one-year extension and they want to fight in the Grand Prix, but they’re out because Ben’s not going to sign?”

It was like blackmail. I won’t stand for it.

They go, “That’s the deal,” and I go, “Well, we’re all out.”

That’s the way it stood. I called all the guys and explained it to them and the next day the IFL calls (Jay) Hieron and says, “We need to talk to you in private.”

So they come down and get him in a car and talk to him. Hieron calls me and he goes, “Monte, you’re not going to believe this. These guys just tried to make me sign a contract in the back of their car.” I go, “What?!” and he goes, “They were sitting there trying to tell me I have to sign this. That you did not represent me well and if I knew what was good for me, I’d do this.”

I go, “What, are these guys like the Sopranos?” And he goes, “No, I didn’t do it. I told them I’m not signing anything without my manager.”

So I go, “Well, what happened?” and he goes, “They gave me the contract and said I have till noon tomorrow.” 

I said to fax it to me. He faxed it to me and it was the same contract we already agreed to. So why are they trying to make him sign something we already said yes to?

As much as I would have loved to have Jay Hieron tell them to take a flying leap, it was a good deal and everything, so I said, “Yeah, go ahead and sign it.”

So Jay signed the deal and then (Mike) Whitehead calls me and says. “What about me?”

I go, “Have these guys called you?” and he said no. He said, “I’ve been trying to call them, but they haven’t gotten a hold of me.”

So finally Kurt (Otto) got a hold of him and Kurt goes, “Yeah you can sign, you were supposed to sign yesterday. It was a done deal. There was a deadline. Didn’t your manager tell you? He knew all about it. He screwed you over.”

Mike said, “You’ll understand if I tend to believe Monte on this one?” and he goes, “Well, why can’t I sign right now? Hieron is signing right now.” And (Otto) said, “Oh no, the deadline passed.

The bottom line is Mike Whitehead has done nothing but good things for this group. He went on a crappy team. He was the only one that stood out on that team. He makes the Grand Prix. He wants to fight in the Grand Prix. He wants to fight in the league next year. He’s ready to sign the new deal and now that they got their butts hurt over Ben (Rothwell) not signing like they wanted, Whitehead’s got to be sacrificed? He’s going to take the pressure for this? I’ve never heard anything more juvenile in my life. And that’s the way it stands now. They’re out of the Grand Prix.

Now they’re coming back, I’m hearing, “Oh, they’re just out of the Grand Prix. They can both re-sign for 2008.”

Well, Mike Whitehead has a better chance of becoming an astronaut than going back to the IFL after the way they just treated him.

It’s like he said, “You’ve got to have some dignity. Obviously they don’t give a (expletive) about me. Obviously I’m expendable. They don’t like me for whatever reason. I don’t want to fight for people like that.”

So much for the IFL’s “we care more about fighters” stand. 

With all of this going on, rumors have circulated that the IFL believed a deal was already in place and that was why, when the deal wasn’t finalized, that the fighters were dropped from the Grand Prix. Cox commented on that point as well: 

Kurt Otto, I hear he keeps claiming, “Oh, we had a deal. We had Rothwell. We’d agreed.”

Come on, this is business. Until a guy signs a dotted line, you don’t have a deal. Anyone who doesn’t understand that, they better not be running a company.

There were times that I told him, “Yeah, this looks good. We’re thinking of heading back to the IFL.” But in the end, after talking to Ben, we decided it’s in our best interest to just wait and see what they have

They have a 180-day matching clause. They don’t have to get all upset. If we get a legitimate deal, they have a chance to match it. So they can keep Ben if they want him. They’re just not getting him on their terms and that seems to be a little bit too much for them to handle.

From Cox’s statement, it seems a foregone conclusion that Whitehead is unlikely to return to the IFL, but what about heavyweight standout Ben Rothwell?

Ben hasn’t been happy with the IFL for a while. He wasn’t happy when he fought Ricco Rodriguez because Ricco spit in his face and no one cared. No one did anything about it. That bothered him. He just doesn’t feel like they care.

Both fighters are still under contract through 2007 and cannot negotiate with another organization until year’s end.

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2007, 03:58:10 AM »

Mixed martial arts is one of the hottest properties in all of sports. And the Ultimate Fighting Championship rules the roost.

Many other promoters have stepped up to challenge the American juggernaut, most opting to sign the biggest name fighters they can lay their hands on and start chipping away at the UFC’s rock-solid pay-per-view dominance.

That is until Mark Cuban entered the fray.

Owner of the National Basketball Association’s Dallas Mavericks, chairman of the HDNet high-definition television network, self-made billionaire; it might be expected that Cuban would immediately take aim at the top of the MMA roster.

But that is not the tact that he has chosen at all. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

Instead of throwing millions of dollars at top free agent Fedor Emelianenko to make a big splash, his first fight card features the comeback of Erik Paulson, a talented fighter that hasn’t been in the ring for more than seven years and is relatively unknown to American fans.

The rest of the event is fleshed out primarily with a regional flavor that is sure to draw the Dallas MMA faithful to the American Airlines Center, but is far from the media magnet that usually gravitates towards anything Cuban has a hand in.

That wasn’t an accident, but part of his design for HDNet Fights’ first outing.

“This is our Beta test,” said Cuban. “This is where we are going to learn.

“We didn’t go out and spend half a million on marketing for this. I’m not looking to fill the American Airlines Center (on Saturday night). I want to get 3,000 people there to fill the lower bowl, so I can walk around and talk to people and find out what we did right, what we did wrong, what we can do better.”

In speaking with him, Cuban knows where he wants to go with the promotion, but realizes he doesn’t yet hold all the answers on how to get there.

“The reason I got into this … I see this unique opportunity to start treating MMA fighters as professional athletes,” stated Cuban.

A telling statement considering heavyweight champion Randy Couture’s recent resignation from the UFC, reportedly due to his discontent with the way that he and other fighters have been treated.

“The UFC’s done a great job in what they do, but they kind of stole the (World Wrestling Entertainment) script,” said Cuban about the promotion’s success. “And we just think that we can take a different approach and treat them more like a Mavs game, more like an athletic event than a spectacle.”

Some may say that it’s rather brash of Cuban to imply that he will lead the way to mixed martial arts’ future, but then again, he’s never exactly been known to be the “walk softly and carry a big stick” kind of guy.

“I have a reputation (for) how I’ve treated the Mavericks, how I changed the NBA,” he said. “I plan on taking everything I’ve learned … and apply that to what we’re doing here.

“When I got to the NBA, a lot of people didn’t like the way I do things, that’s their problem. I think now, there are probably a lot of people in the mixed martial arts industry that aren’t going to like the way I do things, once again, that’s their problem.”
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2007, 04:01:38 AM »
Paulo Filho has joined Team Link.

After a series of seminars in September in the United States, Filho aligned himself with the Ludlow, Mass., gym where Gabriel Gonzaga trains.

"Now I am part of the team of my friend Marco Alvan, which is also where Gabriel ‘Napão' trains," Filho said. "I was there to give seminars and liked the structure a lot. I felt a great affinity with them … and now I am Team Link. I fight for Team Link from now on."

Undefeated in 15 MMA bouts, the Brazilian plans to move soon to the United States and establish residence in the country.

"I'm seeing what the situation will be with my father, but I want to move there because that is where the MMA business is," Filho said. "It will be good for me because there are a lot of good training partners. There is ‘Napão,' and there are guys from wrestling -- a lot of people to train with. They have a lot of new kids arriving and wanting to train hard."

A black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, a sport in which Filho won three world championships and five national titles, "Paulão" spoke enthusiastically about his future home and the advantages it will bring him.

"The trainers are extremely good," he said. "The athletes there are cardio machines. The academy is giant, has boxing bags, has an Octagon, has a ring and has everything there. And the city is very calm, is very good for training because it does not have anything distracting. A lot of green, some very clean lakes and even a hydroponic market -- those foods without agrotoxics. It's a very good city for an athlete to live."
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
Josh Barnett, ranked as the No.3 heavyweight mixed martial artist in the world by MMAWeekly.com, had a very busy year in 2006. Fighting seven times in that span, he amassed a 5-2 record against some of the top competition in the world.

Unfortunately, in 2007, he has yet to fight once.

Why?

“Red tape,” says Barnett.

He fought all of his bouts in 2006 for Pride Fighting Championships. But when Pride FC was purchased by Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta – who also happen to be the majority owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship – in March, Barnett’s fighting career was basically put on ice.

To say his relationship with the UFC is tenuous would not be a stretch.

While many former Pride fighters have found their way to the UFC, Barnett is one of the two top free agents that have not, along with Fedor Emelianenko.

He has been talking with many promoters and is optimistic that he will be fighting again soon, but Barnett would not tip his hand as to whether a fight with Fedor is on the immediate horizon. Despite being friends with Emelianenko, he does want that fight to take place.

“It would be a hell of a fight. … I want to fight him is so we can get it over with, so we can train (together).”

In the meantime, Barnett has kept busy with many other projects. He is part of numerous television productions including a documentary about the Pancrase organization that is set to air on Imagination TV and appearances on the acclaimed “The Human Weapon” series and a mixed martial arts segment on The History Channel.

He has also been helping Erik Paulson, who headlines Saturday night’s HDNet Fights in Dallas, Texas, train for his bout with Jeff Ford.

HDNet Fights is the upstart MMA promotion of the billionaire owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban.

“(Erik) is ready. He’s been working every day in the gym with us,” said Barnett.

And he indicates that this probably isn’t a one-off deal for Paulson, who is returning to fighting for the first time in more than seven years.

“Erik’s got a lot of gas left in him.”

At only 29 years of age, it’s likely that Barnett himself will be around for a while as well.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Murilo "Ninja" Confirmed For Dec. 1st Cage Rage Event

Murilo “Ninja” Rua vs. Xavier Foupa Pokam

We are able to announce as the top of the card main event for the December 1st show, what promises to be an outstanding bout between great warriors. Ninja will come back to these shores to take on the “Professor of Punishment”, Xavier Pokam. Ninja is currently coming of the back of two wins in his last 2 Cage Rage outings and is looking to make this a hatrick, but standing in his way is the formidable shape of Professor X, who is looking to extend his winning streak at Ninja’s expense. This is going to be a classic and will live up to its top of the card billing.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »
Denis Kang's Opponent For K-1 HERO's Debut Revealed

KANG TO FACE OYAMA IN HERO’S DEBUT

Former PRIDE middleweight and recent K-1 HERO’S acquisition Denis Kang will face Shungo Oyama in his debut for the promotion Sunday, Oct. 28
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »
Pancrase has been forced to cancel its headlining bout on the 2007 Rising Tour card Sunday in Tokyo, after former heavyweight King of Pancrase Kestutis "Tiger" Arbocius failed to show for the fight.

Arbocius was scheduled to face reigning heavyweight Pancrase champion Assuerio Silva in the main event. He was slated to arrive in Japan on Wednesday, in order to appear for Friday's championship signing ceremony at Pancrase's P's LAB gym in Tokyo. However, Arbocius was nowhere to be found, sending Pancrase officials into a frenzy to rectify the situation.

According to reports, which attributed information to Arbocius' management, it was suggested that the 32-year-old Latvian may have had difficulty with local police at Vilnius Airport in Lithuania.

A Pancrase official told Sherdog.com via e-mail that no one knew Arbocius' current whereabouts.

"Nobody knows where he is, even his manager," the official said. "Pancrase is trying to keep in touch with him."

Pancrase quickly attempted to find a replacement, offering the bout to three Japanese competitors. However, all three fighters stated that it was too short notice to face a fighter of Silva's caliber.

The card will now proceed with Yuki Kondo-Yuji Sakuragi  as the headliner. Pancrase will offer ticket refunds on the day of the event.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2007, 04:29:15 AM »
The following is an excerpt from an interview with top Welterweight fighter Jake Shields from ADCC News:

KM: Your contract status?

JS: This is the last fight on my contract. They offered some more fights but I’m letting my manager handle that.

KM: Who is your manager?

JS: Right now my Dad is actually my manager.

KM: What do you think of 2008?

JS: I want to go out there and fight the best. I’m really looking at UFC over Elite because that is where a lot of top guys are. In the next few weeks I’ll probably make my decision on where I’m going to be signing.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2007, 05:41:58 AM »
ANGRRR MANAGEMENT 13 RESULTS

*SPOILER*

Pro Rules MMA
Marc Goddard def. Ivan Serati via TKO (Strikes) at 1:34, R2
Ross Mason def. Henrique Santana via Submission (Exhaustion) at 2:30, R2
Chris Rice def. Mamarizaev Jahongir via Submission (Strikes) at 2:36, R1
Przemyslaw Mysiala def. Matteo Piran via Submission (Armbar) at 4:02, R1
Paul Reed def. Alexandre Izidro via Split Decision, R3
Mic Broster def. Samir Medjbeur via Submission (Armbar) at 1:03, R1
Jay Gilbey def. Nick Orchard via Split Decision, R3

Semi-Pro Rules MMA
Joss Ramage def. Nick Hipkiss via Majority Decision, R2
Barry Mear def. Ross Mould via KO at 1:32, R1
Dean Aplin def. Warren Kee via Submission (Armbar) at 3:35, R1

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2007, 05:43:43 AM »
Stephan Bonnar returns to the Octagon on Saturday night against Eric “Red” Schafer at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati.

In Bonnar's last fight, at Ultimate Fighting Championship 73 in July, he made short work of Mike Nickels by submitting him with a rear naked choke early in the first round.

He is of course remembered for his legendary battle with Forrest Griffin on the finale of the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” It's been two-and-a-half years since that epic fight that many have said put mixed martial arts on the map.

“It seems like yesterday,” Bonnar reflected. “Watching the show brings back memories. It is hard to believe though. I just turned thirty. I got old.”

After his close fight with Griffin, “The American Psycho” went on a three-fight win streak defeating Sam Hoger, James Irvin and Keith Jardine. It seemed like he was climbing up the ladder in the light heavyweight division until he hit a roadblock named Rashad Evans.

Evans tactically took him down at will and earned the victory. After that fight, Bonnar would once again meet his rival Forrest Griffin in a rematch at UFC 62. Unfortunately for him, Griffin would outpoint him and once again earn the nod.

Perhaps even more devastating than the loss to Griffin was the fact that Bonnar had tested positive for an anabolic agent that saw him suspended for nine months. Bonnar came back firing in his return fight against Nickels. He's ready to keep the momentum going and he's even joined Griffin at Xtreme Couture to enhance his training.

“It's some good sparring,” Bonnar said of his new training facility. “It definitely gets you ready for a fight. It’s definitely good work.”

Not only does he train with Griffin, but also an assortment of other great partners that have all come to the new Mecca of training in Las Vegas. One of those partners is none other than “The Natural” Randy Couture.

“That guy just always wows me. He first did it when he fought Vitor Belfort. I didn't think he'd win that fight. Then he beat Liddell and beat Ortiz. Then he beats Sylvia. Then he beat Gonzaga. It's just all these crazy moments.”

Bonnar has been ready to go since his fight with Nickels and he can't wait to get in the Octagon this weekend.

“I've been ready to fight for a while. It’s all great to get back in there and get a win, get out of there healthy. I was actually hoping I could get on the very next show. It's good to get back in there. I feel like it's been a long camp.”

Schafer last saw action in a losing effort to Michael Bisping back in December. He put up a very tough fight before succumbing to some devastating strikes. Bonnar has watched the tapes though and is ready for whatever Schafer brings.

A win for Bonnar on Saturday night will be one step higher up the ladder of the light heavyweight division, which in the last few months has been thrown for a loop. He isn't taking Schafer lightly, though, and knows that he'll need a solid game plan to come out with the win.

“It's pretty obvious. I'll try to keep it on my feet. Hit him with shots. His best chance of winning is on the ground. I expect a stoppage in the second round.”
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »
whats werdum been up to and whats next?

the Brazilian submissions specialist continues his intense training regime under the tutelage of the legendary Chute Boxe Academy in Curitiba, Brazil

“I’ve never trained so much in my life,” said Werdum. “I’ve been here for two months and am already feeling an impressive difference. I am starting to dominate the standing as much as the ground game. The knees are better, so are the kicks, but the biggest improvement is my aggressiveness. I didn’t have it before.”

Werdum believes his UFC return is imminent.

“I spoke with my manager, and he said November,” said Werdum. “I think it's too son, but it will be in 2007.”

Though Nov. 17’s UFC 79 card is completely booked, there are pending shows December and February in Las Vegas, as well as a planned event in Newcastle, England in January.

“I thought it would be Tim Sylvia, but that's not happening,” said Werdum. “There’s also a rumor that it may be Frank Mir, but the way I’m training now, it can be anyone.”
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
Former NY Giant To Make Pro MMA Debut At Belterra Casino

November 3rd, 2007 MMA Big Show: CHAMPIONS - Former NY Giant Bobby Jones makes his Pro MMA Debut against 3-0 John Brown at the Belterra Casino Hotel & Spa in Belterra, Indiana.

Former New York Giant Bobby Jones will be making his pro MMA debut after recently dominating in his last amateur fight winning in 34 seconds by ref stoppage after slamming his opponent down and beating him in the face. Bobby is ready for a bigger challenge in his pro debut at the Belterra Casino and Hotel which is hosting the MMA Big Show: CHAMPIONS with special guest Andre Arlovski. John Brown, a 3-0 Pro fighter will be driving 14 hours from Gulfport, MS to test Bobby’s skills in the cage. Both men monstrous in size for heavyweights and both eager to prove themselves.

Cincinnati local and MMA Big Show poster boy Roger Bowling will be defending his 170lb Title against Drew Reed. Bowling won his belt by defeating Mike Skiba at MMA Big Show: PUNISHMENT on Sept 29th in Covington, KY where he pounded the guy until he began tapping. Roger is Relentless in competition and puts on an amazing show every time.

Another Cincinnati local and well known fighter Mojo Horne will defend his 185lb title against Matt Sredzinski who holds multiple titles and is a US Gold Medalist and Muai Thai instructor. This fight is sure to be fireworks as the two standup fighters collide.

Joe Ammerman will defend his 155lb Title after winning his title fight with 4 time NAGA Champion Jason Halderman with strikes in the 2nd round of MMA Big Show: PUNISHMENT. His opponent is still yet to be determined.

Other notable fighters on the card are Dustine Winterhalt, Jared Combs, Mick Berwanger and others.

The event doors will open at 6:00pm and the first fight is scheduled for 7:00pm.

Tickets are $30 Presale General Admission and $50 VIP Floor Seats and can be purchased at www.TicketWeb.com or www.MMABigShow.com for a direct link online. You can also purchase by phone at 866-468-7630.

This event will be the first year anniversary of the MMA Big Show which started in November of 2006 and has been putting on the best MMA events in the region ever since and is well known amongst fighters and fans nationally.

This event is also scheduled to be broadcast live online as a Pay Per View for $9.95.

See www.MMABigShow.com for more details and tail of the tape.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »
New Era Fighting declares war on MMA terror campaign

SANTA ANA, California (October 15 , 2007) �" New Era Fighting (NEF) has declared war on a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) terror campaign, filing a $500,000,000 lawsuit against the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC), individuals Armando Garcia (CSAC Executive Director) and Frank Munoz (CSAC Staff Services Analyst), as well as the State’s Department of Consumer Affairs.

NEF is a mixed martial arts fighting organization that combines the raw brutality of mixed martial arts with entertaining, sexy and dramatic themes. It has launched possibly the largest suit in California history against the aforementioned parties for loss of revenues (past, present and future), film production, media exposure, credibility, television show, venue deposits, fighters and opportunity costs.

NEF President Ron Kort filed the lawsuit because of a pattern and practice by the California State Athletic Commission of intentionally, willfully and viciously interfering with a licensed and approved event, which effected and injured New Era Fighting in the same or similar fashion as other mixed martial arts promoters, managers and fighters.

Kort has received numerous communications from supportive MMA and boxing promoters, managers, trainers and fighters who allege that they were also abused by the CSAC. Their reports include staged fights, payoffs, favoritism, threats of suspension, bully intimidation tactics, and much more.

“I’m pleasantly surprised and tremendously encouraged by the amount of responses our claim has triggered in the fight world,” Kort said. “I’ve been bombarded by people upset by the way they’ve been unfairly treated by the CSAC. The support has been overwhelming and is helping to level the playing field between the CSAC and the people it ‘licenses.’ We want to provide a platform to others who have been abused by the CSAC but may be fearful of repercussions for speaking on the record.

“When I first started investigating the CSAC, I was given lots of information from people who were initially afraid to give up their name because they were scared of Armando Garcia. One member of the media had interviewed Armando where Armando openly said, ‘There are a lot of people that try and take care of my back…..so when they hear things they contact me and give me a heads up…..’ However, many people are starting to realize that there is now little to fear and that Armando is not invincible. We will have our day in court and those that were afraid are now in support of this war against the California State Athletic Commission’s terror campaign. Anybody who would like to share their stories about the CSAC can send emails to FightBack@NewEraFighting.com. Your names and identities will be kept confidential without your express permission to use them.”
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
Representatives from Icon Sport have confirmed that Robbie Lawler will defend the promotion’s middleweight championship against Kala Kolohe Hose at Icon Sport “Fearless” Saturday Dec. 15. They were originally slated to fight in June, but the event was postponed after Lawler suffered a shoulder injury. Icon Sport has since been acquired by ProElite, Inc.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:39 PM »
Cung Le Says Frank Shamrock Backed Out Of Proposed Fight

Earlier today MMANews.com spoke with Strikeforce Middleweight Cung Le and he confirmed that he will be fighting on the November 16th Strikeforce card at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, CA. Who his opponent will be has yet to be determined but Cung made mention of the fact that Frank Shamrock backed out of a possible match-up. Both fighters made mention of it during the Strikeforce at the Playboy Mansion show so it can be assumed it will most likely happen down the line. Cung also stated that there have been about a dozen names thrown at him but it hasnt been narrowed down yet. The show is still well over a month away so it should be announced who his opponent will be over the next few weeks.

After an impressive showing in his last about against Tony Fryklund, Le upped his record to 4-0 in MMA competition and will look to go 5-0. A rumoured bout between him and Shamrock has been discussed for quite a while now but it looks as if it will not be happening anytime soon.

With a tournament on the slate and Cung Le main eventing, along with Daniel Puder and Paul Buentello confirmed to be on the card - the next Strikeforce show is starting to shape up nicely.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2007, 04:53:26 AM »
Hermes Franca has left the Armory, a team in which he served as trainer. He is ready to open his own academy in West Palm Beach, Fla. called Team Hermes Franca set to open in November.

He is currently preparing for a grappling match at the North American Grappling Association event in Miami on Oct. 20. He will face Enrique Coco.

Still serving a mixed martial arts related suspension handed down by the California State Athletic Commission for a positive drug test in July, Franca has been working tirelessly to improve his ground game, working with new training partners.

“I am training with the Pablo Popovitch Team and I was in New York for 15 days training with Marcelo Garcia,” said Franca.

In preparing for this grappling bout with Coco, he stated that he has learned much since concentrating only on his groundwork and has picked up many new techniques along the way.

While preparing to open his own gym, Franca has been teaching seminars at the Premier Martial Arts Academy, working and teaching mixed martial arts to many students at the school.

He has also worked in some new sponsors that will be vital in the opening of his new gym.

“I would like to talk about my sponsors Premier Martial Arts and Pipe Hitters Union,” Franca stated. “They will take care of my logo, clothes, etc. Now my fans and the MMA world can get Hermes Franca stuff from there.”

The gym will be opening in November. It will be inside of a boxing gym called Palm Beach Boxing Club that will now also house Team Hermes Franca.

The gym can be found at 1611 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach, Fla. Interested parties can call at either 561-833-2131 or 561-319-6608.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2007, 11:29:11 AM »
ADAM SMITH FAILS SECOND DRUG TEST IN CALIF.

Adam Smith, who was recently suspended and fined by the California State Athletic Commission for testing positive for both cocaine and marijuana, has now additionally tested positive for anabolic agents with metabolites for both Nandrolone and Stanozolol according to CSAC representative Bill Douglas.

The drug test failures stem from testing surrounding his losing effort against Dewey Cooper at the Strikeforce at the Mansion event held on Sept. 29 in Beverly Hills, Calif.

Douglas revealed that Smith is “the first athlete in the State of California to test positive for anabolic agents and drugs of abuse at the same time.”

Smith’s previous suspension was from the conclusion of the bout on Sept. 29, 2007 through June 25, 2008 with a fine of $1,500.

His positive test for anabolic agents represents a second separate violation, which earned him a separate set of repercussions. He now will serve an additional suspension from June 26, 2008 through the end of his licensing year, which is Sept. 27, 2008. He has also been assessed an additional 271 days to complete the second suspension (totaling 365 days), which begins when he reapplies for licensure in California. A fine of $2,500 was assessed for the anabolic agents test failure.

The total time of suspension for Smith’s combined infractions is now 21 months with fines totaling $4,000.

Smith’s pay for his fight against Cooper, as reported by Strikeforce to the CSAC, was $500.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »
"Matt Hughes of the UFC has just signed a 5 year sponsorship agreement with Nutritox LLC as his title sponsor. Nutritox is a Dallas based nutriceutical company currently endorsed by several college and professional athletic teams."
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
WHO: Versus Channel's reality TV stars from 'TapouT'- Mask, Punkass and Skyskrape (AKA TapouT Crew) and UFC Fighter Keith Jardine

WHAT: Interview and Photo Ops, Entertainment, Autographs, and Giveaways

WHERE: Hibbett Sports
7011 Alexandria Pike, Space A
Alexandria, KY 41001
(859) 635-4700

WHEN: Friday, October 19, 2007 from 6p-8p
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:27 PM »
 Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Anderson Silva has yet to arrive for this Saturday’s event at the U.S. Bank Arena. He is scheduled to defend his belt against challenger Rich Franklin, whom he relieved of the title one year ago at UFC 64.

According to sources close to the Silva, he had planned to be in town by now along with the other UFC 77 fighters, but there were delays in the issuance of his work visa.

Apparently, due to a recent holiday, government offices in Brazil were closed this past Friday and Monday thus delaying his visa being issued. He evidently did receive the visa on Wednesday and hopes to arrive in Cincinnati on Thursday.

Most UFC fighters typically arrive four to five days prior to an event to fulfill the necessary media and production requirements, as well as getting acclimated to their surroundings and finish any last minute weight cutting.

With Silva arriving just two days prior to his fight, as long as there are no further delays, questions are sure to abound as to whether or not it will affect his performance come Saturday night.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) program will look inside the world of British mixed martial arts on its investigative show “Inside Out,” airing this Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. GMT. Jason “Badass” Barrett (3-4) and Mark “Babyface” Smith (5-2), two Cage Rage fighters from the Elite Fighting Systems team, will be featured.

“Inside Out” is said to have taken a balanced approach in their reporting this time out, as many local fans were outraged at the BBC’s previous outings where the sport was portrayed as “barbaric and unnecessary.”
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
CAGE RAGE FIGHTERS
SUBJECT TO DRUG TESTING

Process To Begin With “EliteXC Presents Cage Rage 24’’

Streaming Live Dec. 1 on ProElite.com

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 17, 2007) �" All fighters competing on upcoming Cage Rage fight cards will be subject to random drug testing, it was announced Wednesday.

Cage Rage, which recently was purchased by Los Angeles-based ProElite, Inc. (PELE.PK), is the biggest and most prestigious Mixed Martial Arts organization in the UK .

Gary Shaw, President of ProElite’s Live Events Division, EliteXC, initiated the idea to test the fighters

“Anybody that knows me knows that my No. 1 priority is the health and safety of the athletes,’’ Shaw said. “I wholeheartedly agree and support Cage Rage’s decision. This ensures that the highest safety standards will be in place each and every time a fighter competes in an EliteXC/Cage Rage fight card in Britain.’’

The process will begin before the “EliteXC Presents Cage Rage 24” Dec. 1 event that will be aired on pay-per-view live at ProElite.com.

“This shows that Gary Shaw and EliteXC truly have the fighters’ best interests at heart and are serious about promoting this great sport to the uppermost standard,’’ Cage Rage co-founder and promoter Dave O’Donnell said. “Drug taking will not be tolerated on a Cage Rage promotion.’’

Any fighter who appears on a Cage Rage show will be subject to random drug testing, which includes checking for anabolic steroids, stimulants, marijuana and cocaine. All fighters in world title fights will be tested.

MRI scan and ophthalmologic inspections will be introduced in early 2008, announced Shaw.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2007, 11:27:51 AM »
Wanderlei Silva is once again the special guest to the next UFC in USA. UFC 77 will take place on October 20, when the name of his opponent will be released. The date has been confirmed.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »
Jonathan Goulet, who is coming of a first round submission loss to Dustin Hazelett at UFN 11 will be looking to get back in the cage to fight around December.

During the armbar submission that was used to beat him back in September, Goulet's elbow popped causing an injury. Goulet told MMANews.com, "My elbow popped in my last fight but luckily I did not need surgery. I am doing physiotherepy right now and should be able to train soon."

After speaking with Goulet it looks like he could possibly be fighting in Alberta. "They miss me in Alberta," Goulet stated. "It's been a while since I fought in western Canada".

Goulet, who had a pretty busy schedule up until Sept. 07 should be enjoying his must needed rest but that is not the case, "I hope to be ready to train again next week and if I can that I hope for a fight in December. I know it's not all about me but that is when I want to fight."

With the mention of Alberta it could be possible that Goulet will be looking to fight in a possible December Hardcore Championship Fighting card. The organization has been landing a lot of big names lately while bulking up their roster and Goulet would be a great addition to the welterweight division. Only time will tell where Goulets next fight could be but one thing is for certain, he can not wait to get back in there.
Z