Author Topic: For those that don't believe the bible is the word of God...  (Read 30012 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: For those that don't believe the bible is the word of God...
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17:14 AM »
Does it make you angry that some people do believe it's the word of God?  If so, why?

STella (not loco or anyone else), why should we believe that anything else than the Ten Commandments is the words of God?
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 07:42:48 AM »
STella (not loco or anyone else), why should we believe that anything else than the Ten Commandments is the words of God?

I love it when Swedes play jokes... :P
I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 08:08:42 AM »
McWay is a preaching fundy, that's all I'm talking about.

yes he is, he throws reason and logic out the window.

its like you tell him something is wrong and show it, he says it cant be because its in the bible, no matter how ridiculous.

a person living inside a whale? has to be true.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »

how ridiculous does that sound. you got children starving, disease, kids murdering each other and some peoples worries are the petty comandments.

opus dei, live as jesus did is how christians should or try to live. jesus said he is in the sickest, and least fortunate, their you'll find him. judging gays, and other groups etc.. is not what i think he intended. love was suppose to be the main message.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »
how ridiculous does that sound. you got children starving, disease, kids murdering each other and some peoples worries are the petty comandments.

opus dei, live as jesus did is how christians should or try to live. jesus said he is in the sickest, and least fortunate, their you'll find him. judging gays, and other groups etc.. is not what i think he intended. love was suppose to be the main message.

You are not getting the point of my question.

I am asking why should we believe that the Bible is the word of God, and not written by common men, just like you and me?

And that, just like you are implying, that interpreting how Jesus lived, being loveful, and forgiving, is the how to be a Christian?

But the topic in this thread, is whether the Bible is the word of God or not.

I say according to Christianity, it is not (other than the Ten Commandments). And I am asking STella to tell me why she think it is.

Hope this clear things up.
As empty as paradise

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
You are not getting the point of my question.

I am asking why should we believe that the Bible is the word of God, and not written by common men, just like you and me?

And that, just like you are implying, that interpreting how Jesus lived, being loveful, and forgiving, is the how to be a Christian?

I say according to Christianity, it is not (other than the Ten Commandments). And I am asking STella to tell me why she think it is.

Hope this clear things up.

i think your misunderstanding me, im agreeing with you. but the way i wrote it was horrible.i can see what your getting at, and i was just adding some thoughts on the matter.

yes it helped

i hope this helps

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »

anyone here ever watch the world Series of Poker?

No...is it worth watching?  I don't want to get hooked on it!

loco and stella are some of the best people on this site. i may argue with loco and get a little heated when i hear there arguments which i dont agree with, but they are good people.

in the end, all anyone has is faith. sure some choose to make a rational leap into faith, the lack of evidence is reason to not beleive, which i believe is safe and perhaps correct.then some make a illogical leap, putting there faith all in one belief like me, loco and stella, albeit we have different views on life.

i have never seen stella shove anything down anyones throat nor loco. he simply engages others in arguments, and when others seem to loose their cool he remains pretty respectful.

but to answer the question of the thread truthfully it does irritate me.

That was really nice usmoke thank you. 

Can I ask why people believing that the bible is the word of God irritates you?  Is it just that it seems so irrational to you or that maybe you think people that believe it are unable/unwilling to consider other people's views or something else?

What's wrong with McWay?   ;D

I think McWay is a good guy, and very knowledgeable too.  I've learned a lot from him.
Me too!

Hi Zack!

Actually the intended topic of the thread was to ask those that don't believe the bible is the word of God if it irritates them that some people do believe that it is the word of God.   I may not have been clear on that.

It could be compared to....for those that don't believe in the holocaust....does it irritate you that some people do.

Or even something like....for those that don't believe in leprechauns ...does it irritate you that some people do.

But maybe since you know I believe that the bible is the word of God is where your question comes from. 

I believe that it is the word of God mainly because of fulfilled prophecy, prophecy that looks set to be fulfilled, the way I changed when I accepted the God of the bible as God and the peace I have felt ever since doing so.  In addition it's seeing the way others have apparently changed from the way they were before they accepted Christ as Savior.  Could some be fooling me?  Sure.  But some would seem to be really wasting a lot of time and money just to put on a "show" (and I'm not talking about schisters (sp?) that put on a show to steal other people's money).

In addition, I've never been presented w/an apparent contradiction or difficulty in the bible that after researching it I've been unable to accept an explanation for.  I try to look at such w/an open mind because I, like you, want to believe what is true.  Science, archeology, the complexities of our physical, mental and emotional world all point to a Creator for me and have not disproven the God of the bible IMO. 

R

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
I know many people who believe exactly as you do, but they don't run around quoting the bible or condemning others who don't believe as they do.
So it's okay to believe in the Bible, but not to tell anyone about it???

You seem to be big on calling the Christian God and Christians hypocrites. If I believe with all of my heart and soul what the Bible says is true, and what it says about nonbeliever's going to hell, wouldn't you think I was a hypocrite if I didn't tell you???

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

You seem to be big on calling the Christian God and Christians hypocrites. If I believe with all of my heart and soul what the Bible says is true, and what it says about nonbeliever's going to hell, wouldn't you think I was a hypocrite if I didn't tell you???

Ah, hey Freakshow!  You quoted me, loco, but are you really addressing OzmO?   ;D

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 04:54:05 PM »
Ah, hey Freakshow!  You quoted me, loco, but are you really addressing OzmO?   ;D
Ooops! ;D I fixed it.

You know us Christians we're not real smart. This computer thingamagiggy is hard man ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
Ooops! ;D I fixed it.

You know us Christians we're not real smart. This computer thingamagiggy is hard man ;)

No problem, brother!  Have a great evening!   ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »

You should scroll up and read the whole thread.   Your questions will be answered.

And let's not get started on christian hypocrites i personally  and have been good friends with know 1 evangelist and 1 pastor for the past 18 years who are BIG time hypocrites.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:35 PM »
Oh yeah, Freakshow is another Thumping Nutter...
I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »

my god says that if you beleive in christianity you go to hell and burn, but he loves you and wants you to worship him because he has wants and needs, and couldnt bear being turned down, so much so that he is willing to allow the things(people) he loves most suffer forever, he is that needy. please worship my god.

thank you

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
my god says that if you beleive in christianity you go to hell and burn, but he loves you and wants you to worship him because he has wants and needs, and couldnt bear being turned down, so much so that he is willing to allow the things(people) he loves most suffer forever, he is that needy. please worship my god.

thank you

Because people have SO MUCH to offer God right???

He meets our needs, we don't meet His!

But of course you don't have any needs, hurts or pains right??? God has nothing to offer you???

It's interesting how people will flaunt their lusts but hide all of their pain.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
Because people have SO MUCH to offer God right???

He meets our needs, we don't meet His!

But of course you don't have any needs, hurts or pains right??? God has nothing to offer you???

It's interesting how people will flaunt their lusts but hide all of their pain.

Again, you totally missed his point.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »

thank you

Awesome mate! :)
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »
Again, you totally missed his point.

Of course not! He's a fundy nutter!
I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 04:00:09 AM »
I believe that it is the word of God mainly because of fulfilled prophecy, prophecy that looks set to be fulfilled, the way I changed when I accepted the God of the bible as God and the peace I have felt ever since doing so.  In addition it's seeing the way others have apparently changed from the way they were before they accepted Christ as Savior.  Could some be fooling me?  Sure.  But some would seem to be really wasting a lot of time and money just to put on a "show" (and I'm not talking about schisters (sp?) that put on a show to steal other people's money).

You talk about fulfilled prophecy.

So how does that translate into the Bible being the word of God?

Let me explain what I mean:

The Bible was written by common men, and the New Testament had several writers describing the life of Jesus Christ, his life being guidelines for Christians to follow.

Here's the million dollar question:

What is it that makes you think that God wrote that New Testament, and not those common men?

It is common practice in Christianity to interpret the Bible, to even ignore parts (an eye for an eye isn't practiced by Christians, instead it is "turn the other cheek").

The Koran is the words of God. The Bible, however, is not. You may be the first Christian I come across that make such a claim.
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 05:16:20 AM »
The Koran is the words of God. The Bible, however, is not. You may be the first Christian I come across that make such a claim.

Hedgehog,
What does this mean?  Do you mean that the Koran claims to have been dictated, not inspired, word for word by God(through archangel Gabriel), while the Bible claims to have been inspired, not dictated word for word, by God?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:04 AM »
Hedgehog,
What does this mean?  Do you mean that the Koran claims to have been dictated, not inspired, word for word by God(through archangel Gabriel), while the Bible claims to have been inspired, not dictated word for word, by God?

The Koran isn't even dictated. I used to think so, but was corrected by a Muslim scholar. He told me it is the direct words of God, through Gabriel, not dictated, not given, just direct words (imagine that?).

Other than that, yes. You are fairly correct in interpreting my post. The Bible is inspired by God, the most important parts being those that describes the life of Jesus, showing us how to lead a Christian life, but since those are written by common men, we still have to interpret them into our modern life.

I should've added, that the Ten Commandments are the direct words of God though. Other than that, the Bible is written by common men.
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:12 AM »
The Koran isn't even dictated. I used to think so, but was corrected by a Muslim scholar. He told me it is the direct words of God, through Gabriel, not dictated, not given, just direct words (imagine that?).

Other than that, yes. You are fairly correct in interpreting my post. The Bible is inspired by God, the most important parts being those that describes the life of Jesus, showing us how to lead a Christian life, but since those are written by common men, we still have to interpret them into our modern life.

I should've added, that the Ten Commandments are the direct words of God though. Other than that, the Bible is written by common men.

Both the bible and the koran are old, useless and highly dangerous books of mythology that humanity needs to get over.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:19 AM »
You talk about fulfilled prophecy.

So how does that translate into the Bible being the word of God?

Let me explain what I mean:

The Bible was written by common men, and the New Testament had several writers describing the life of Jesus Christ, his life being guidelines for Christians to follow.

Here's the million dollar question:

What is it that makes you think that God wrote that New Testament, and not those common men?

I believe that God wrote the bible through the human writers.  From what I've learned, each writer of the New Testament was either an apostle of JEsus or had the backing of an apostle.  That holds a lot of weight IMO.

I don't see any contradictions/difficulties that can't be explained to my satisfaction when studied further. 

As for fulfilled prophecy, Jesus' birth, life and death was foretold in the OT.  He fulfilled the prophecies perfectly, the chances of which are a "gazillion" to one  ;D

Thanks for asking these questions Zack.   I will remember to make that thread on why Christians believe the bible is true.

Zack, are you being facetious or serious?  I can't tell.  Do you truly believe the Koran is the direct words of God?  I've seen you post against Islam I think?  Maybe it was just extreme Islam?  If you truly believe the Koran is the direct word of God why aren't you a Muslim?

And if you believe what the Muslim scholar told you, why do you believe it?  Would you believe everything he says to you re: the Koran or did you also investigate it for yourself and come to the conclusion that it is the word of God?

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »
I believe that God wrote the bible through the human writers.  From what I've learned, each writer of the New Testament was either an apostle of JEsus or had the backing of an apostle.  That holds a lot of weight IMO.

I don't see any contradictions/difficulties that can't be explained to my satisfaction when studied further. 

As for fulfilled prophecy, Jesus' birth, life and death was foretold in the OT.  He fulfilled the prophecies perfectly, the chances of which are a "gazillion" to one  ;D

This statement is total bullshit. You WANT to believe that but none of that is in the OT. In any event, what is more likely, writing a bunch of fiction, the Gospels and basing them on Old Testament scripture or....well you get the point.

I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 06:24:19 AM »

Thanks for asking these questions Zack.   I will remember to make that thread on why Christians believe the bible is true.

What prophecies in the OT are you referring to?

Zack, are you being facetious or serious?  I can't tell.  Do you truly believe the Koran is the direct words of God?  I've seen you post against Islam I think?  Maybe it was just extreme Islam?  If you truly believe the Koran is the direct word of God why aren't you a Muslim?

And if you believe what the Muslim scholar told you, why do you believe it?  Would you believe everything he says to you re: the Koran or did you also investigate it for yourself and come to the conclusion that it is the word of God?

I'm discussing the Muslim view of the Koran. That the words in the Koran are the words of God. I do not believe this to be so, but I think it is important to understand how different religions works.

And the Muslim perspective on the Koran is a fundamental part of that religion IMO.

The Christian perspective of the Bible is (usually) not that the words in the Bible are the words of God. You are, as I stated before, the first person I've come across, with that perspective.

As empty as paradise