Author Topic: Looking for a little insight  (Read 4097 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Looking for a little insight
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
Can a man trust a woman with a lot of guy friends?  Do women feel like they trust men with girl friends?  How much is too much?

How much jealousy is tolerable?  How much is too much?  Is there a double standard with jealousy (men -v- women)?

What is the likelihood of rekindling a relationship when partners are on opposite ends of the country?

Squishy face retard

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Looking for a little insight
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:17:40 AM »
Can a man trust a woman with a lot of guy friends?  Do women feel like they trust men with girl friends?  How much is too much?

How much jealousy is tolerable?  How much is too much?  Is there a double standard with jealousy (men -v- women)?

What is the likelihood of rekindling a relationship when partners are on opposite ends of the country?

Check your PM.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »
I have been told (by a man) that men are not comfortable with their girlfriends/wives having male friends because (and this comes from a man) men are always looking to take it further than friendship.  That they are always thinking about getting in the girls pants.  He also stated that men are not conditioned to want to have anything other than a sexual encounter with the female population.

Do I believe this?  I think there are many guys out there that fall under that category, but not all.  I have had guys that were just friends and guys that I thought were friends and then tried taking it further.  I guess it all depends on the girl in that situation.

As far as a girl trusting a guy with a lot of female friends, well that is a touchy subject if you believe in my first paragraph. lol. 

I think if you (no matter your sex) have friends of the opposite sex and keep them apart from your partner ... then you have something to hide.  If you involve them into your circle...if you are like those in paragraph one...you will be found out (eyes and body language tell it all), if you are not....then there is no issue.
:D Weee

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:08:07 AM »

Unless you move to where she is, (or show up for a visit looking amazing, oozing sex appeal, intellect and maybe tons of money; then leave her wanting more and waiting for you and only you):

the odds are perhaps 99-1 (or 999-1? ...double that, if she's gorgeous & worth being with).

xL

w8m8

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
cap I think you will find that it all depends on the individuals directly involved.

In my life I've seen men and women handle very similar situations completely different depending on their mate at the time.

A trustworthy woman with men friends is acceptable as well as a man who has women as friends.

No amount of jealously is acceptable , to be jealous shows a lack of not only self esteem and security but also distrust which is disrespectful.

To "rekindle" a relationship does not necessarily require the two people to live closeby but it does require a bond worth building upon,therefore if any bit of jealousy is already appearing ...FUGGETTABOUTIT...the distance will only add to the distrust.

To build and maintain a good healthy loving relationship only requires honesty and respect, not close proximity.

Playboy ? you could share your opinions/ideas , No ?
A man's view is interesting and assists us women in gaining insight. ;)

Laura your reply was spot on  :)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
I think if you (not matter your sex) have friends of the opposite sex and keep them apart from your partner ... then you have something to hide.  If you involve them into your circle...if you are like those in paragraph one...you will be found out (eyes and body language tell it all), if you are not....then there is no issue.

I agree.  I have a ton of male friends, some of whom I talk to on the phone, etc, and some of whom I met independent of my husband.  But all of the ones who I am truly friends with know my husband well and are friends with him too.

:)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
I think you will find that it all depends on the individuals directly involved.

...so totally spot on.

There's your answer, Cap.

It's all about trust (and a lot of self-esteem).  I used to sooooo get off on my young fit fantastic bf being cruised by everyone in the room including most of the men.  It made me weak at the knees to watch.

The best bit was knowing that it was me that was going home with him.  We trusted each other.  He kinda encouraged me to flirt too. 

There is a point which you just don't cross though.  It's important to be polite to anyone who takes the time to pay you a compliment and it's often best to treat it with a sense of humour (and respect).  Especially when everyone already knows you've got someone you adore at home.  It's obvious that you're not going anyplace else. 

But you have to give them points for trying.  Makes life exciting and fun(ny

xL

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »
I have been told (by a man) that men are not comfortable with their girlfriends/wives having male friends because (and this comes from a man) men are always looking to take it further than friendship.  That they are always thinking about getting in the girls pants.  He also stated that men are not conditioned to want to have anything other than a sexual encounter with the female population.

Do I believe this?  I think there are many guys out there that fall under that category, but not all.  I have had guys that were just friends and guys that I thought were friends and then tried taking it further.  I guess it all depends on the girl in that situation.

As far as a girl trusting a guy with a lot of female friends, well that is a touchy subject if you believe in my first paragraph. lol. 

I think if you (no matter your sex) have friends of the opposite sex and keep them apart from your partner ... then you have something to hide.  If you involve them into your circle...if you are like those in paragraph one...you will be found out (eyes and body language tell it all), if you are not....then there is no issue.
Bullseye and spot on.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
LOL to all those who said "spot on" or "bulls eye"

I guess it's true ... with age...comes wisdom.
:D Weee

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
cap I think you will find that it all depends on the individuals directly involved.

In my life I've seen men and women handle very similar situations completely different depending on their mate at the time.

A trustworthy woman with men friends is acceptable as well as a man who has women as friends.

No amount of jealously is acceptable , to be jealous shows a lack of not only self esteem and security but also distrust which is disrespectful.

To "rekindle" a relationship does not necessarily require the two people to live closeby but it does require a bond worth building upon,therefore if any bit of jealousy is already appearing ...FUGGETTABOUTIT...the distance will only add to the distrust.

To build and maintain a good healthy loving relationship only requires honesty and respect, not close proximity.

Playboy ? you could share your opinions/ideas , No ?
A man's view is interesting and assists us women in gaining insight. ;)

W8m8,

I couldn't possibly have said it better myself!!!    
w

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
Thanks.

2 things to add, the male friends in question are not mutual or even introduced, they just exist in separate realms.  For me that is where problems lie, not to mention I suffer from the Madonna/Whore complex that Jag described elsewhere (I am a Calabrese  ;D).  I divulge just about everything in terms of what I do, female friendships, etc and when I don't get the same or discover lies and lies of omission my jealousy and mistrust skyrocket.  Not only is this a current problem but something I have experienced with all women (and asked Mydavid and Rip about via PM). 

I tend to proscribe more to the "When Harry Met Sally" ideas and have cut out (almost altogether) my female friendships because I see them as a sign of disrespect to my gf and frankly she has gotten pissed about some exes talking to me, etc but when I do it (albeit in my own manner) I am a bad guy.  That's what's tough for me so I posed the questions.

Feel free to add more.  Best conversation I've had about it thus far.  Jag, be as brutal and honest as you can because on this topic it is certainly welcome.
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »
Thanks.

2 things to add, the male friends in question are not mutual or even introduced, they just exist in separate realms.  For me that is where problems lie, not to mention I suffer from the Madonna/Whore complex that Jag described elsewhere (I am a Calabrese  ;D). 

So tell us something we don't already know. {lol}  ;)

Actually Cap, I sensed that about you a long time ago, ...and in truth, I have to admit that's partially where most of my initial animosity towards you stemmed from. Too many bad memories being conjured up.  :'(

I divulge just about everything in terms of what I do, female friendships, etc and when I don't get the same or discover lies and lies of omission my jealousy and mistrust skyrocket.  Not only is this a current problem but something I have experienced with all women (and asked Mydavid and Rip about via PM). 

I tend to proscribe more to the "When Harry Met Sally" ideas and have cut out (almost altogether) my female friendships because I see them as a sign of disrespect to my gf and frankly she has gotten pissed about some exes talking to me, etc but when I do it (albeit in my own manner) I am a bad guy.  That's what's tough for me so I posed the questions.

Feel free to add more.  Best conversation I've had about it thus far.  Jag, be as brutal and honest as you can because on this topic it is certainly welcome.

Cap, I'd love to be as brutal and as honest as possible, but this subject rings a little too close to home for me, and I doubt my brutal honesty would always remain constructive. I will say this though, you do have to let go of all preconceived notions and stop interpreting deeper meaning into benign actions.

ps: You might also want to develop a friendship with the most physically repulsive woman you know to give you a little perspective.
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »
I agree with the posts here although I think a tiny bit of jealousy expressed rarely is acceptable (and kind of funny and sweet) but it needs to be the type that is completely diffused when the other person states there is nothing to worry about.  There shouldn't be a need for constant reassurance or that begins to seem like desperation and low-self esteem which can be a turn-off.

ps: You might also want to develop a friendship with the most physically repulsive woman you know to give you a little perspective.
lol....if we are on the same page w/what you mean (that most women never consider the majority of (or all of) their male friends sexually attractive) this is a good suggestion.
R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
I agree with the posts here although I think a tiny bit of jealousy expressed rarely is acceptable (and kind of funny and sweet) but it needs to be the type that is completely diffused when the other person states there is nothing to worry about.  There shouldn't be a need for constant reassurance or that begins to seem like desperation and low-self esteem which can be a turn-off.

Not sure if the word 'acceptable' is the correct one here. I'd say tolerable is more appropriate.
In addition to constant reassurance, the criminalization of the other partner should never occur.
Too many people who are jealous demand accountability from their partners, and demand actions designed to alleviate the other person's insecurity, and in some cultures, this is acceptable, but when you step back and look at it objectively, ...it truly is madness.

lol....if we are on the same page w/what you mean (that most women never consider the majority of (or all of) their male friends sexually attractive) this is a good suggestion.

Yes, it allows him to expand his perception and to understand that you can have a deep platonic frendship with someone of the opposite sex, without the sexual element coming into play. The challenge tho is that most who have whore/madonna syndrome, see ALL women as sexual objects first, and people second. If you're able to see a person first, you can be blinded to them as a sexual object. A partner being jealous of a platonic frienship is as ridiculous as one being jealous of a close relationship with a cousin or even a sibling. Not only is it irrational, it's also selfish and destructive. And any woman who feels validated or thrilled by her partner's jealousy is also insecure in her own right, needs to put her head on straight because she's heading down a dark path she truly does not want to be on.

If you're insecure in your relationship, own it. And do what YOU have to do to feel secure, but don't put the onus on the other person to MAKE YOU secure, because it will never happen. It's like a chastity belt, ...what good is it anyway? If someone wants to cheat, slapping a chastity belt onto them to keep them "faithful" is stupid. They'd still want to cheat, ...and that kind of forced fidelity in a relationship is stupid. Get rid of the belt, and let them cuckold you if that's what they want to do. You can then move forward onto someone who wants to remain faithful to you.
w

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
Jag brings up some good points and I can identify with many of them.  It's tough for me to not justify my jealousy at times when my partners, including current, do the same thing albeit to some lesser degrees. I guess I always thought it was normal and that most people experience it.  I've gotten called out on it and I hear that my jealousy is abnormal but her/their actions are justified because of (insert comment here).  I brush it off and ignore it, and actually like it because in a way it makes you feel important. 

I guess I always wonder if women think the same things insecurity wise when it comes to relationships because frankly, they can get it a lot easier than we can.  No matter in how high regard a man holds himself, we are essentially waiting to be given permission to screw.

Here's another qs.  If you and your partner (in this case mine is a woman) are on the outs and are at the very least sharing a lease for the next few months, what is likely going through her mind if she says "I love you" still and is still nice?  We agreed to see what happens with time apart but really, how likely is that to get back together?  She says there is the likelihood but I think she could just be acting nice to ease the blow.  Personally, I would not want someone to say those three words if they don't mean them.  I really wonder what would go through a woman's head in this situation.  Since she doesn't want to talk about things right now, I'll ask ya'll.   ;D
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
Jag brings up some good points and I can identify with many of them.  It's tough for me to not justify my jealousy at times when my partners, including current, do the same thing albeit to some lesser degrees. I guess I always thought it was normal and that most people experience it.

Everyone experiences jealousy at some point or other. The thing is to not let those feelings of jealousy interfere in your relationship. Jealousy is nothing more than the fear of losing someone, ...it is the fear of being replaced. Get over it. If you're going to be replaced, you're going to be replaced. No sense in hastening the process, or even assuring such an eventuality by driving the other person away. Who wants to be in a relationship where they must constantly walk on egg-shells in order to bolster the other person's ego. Self esteem and security come from within. Another factor that often raises it's head is often too the perception of others. A partner may know there is only a snowball's chance in hell of something inappropriate going on, ...but it may not appear that way to others. ie: They may not know that the tall good looking buff guy she's laughing and having a good time with is her cousin. So the bf get's mad when she goes out with her cousin, because other people may think she's making a cuckold of him. Making your partner responsible for how the world perceives YOU is another burden often laid onto partner's by insecure jealous people.

I've gotten called out on it and I hear that my jealousy is abnormal but her/their actions are justified because of (insert comment here).  I brush it off and ignore it, and actually like it because in a way it makes you feel important.

That sense of importance you derive from that is actually dysfunctional. you can'thave a stable relationship based on dysfunction.

I guess I always wonder if women think the same things insecurity wise when it comes to relationships because frankly, they can get it a lot easier than we can.  No matter in how high regard a man holds himself, we are essentially waiting to be given permission to screw.

Cap, women cannot get "it" easier than men can. infact, it may even be harder for women because we have to constantly filter through throngs of men trying to get laid. What I'm saying is that women can only get "it" a lot easier than men can, depending solely on what "it" is. Women aren't looking for sex. We can get that anywhere, anytime from most anyone, ...if we want it. That's why jealousy is so ridiculously selfish. You are expecting a woman to give up what she doesn't find very easily ...friendship, in order for you to not feel threatened, or appear cuckolded in the eyes of people who truly do not matter.

Here's another qs.  If you and your partner (in this case mine is a woman) are on the outs and are at the very least sharing a lease for the next few months, what is likely going through her mind if she says "I love you" still and is still nice?  We agreed to see what happens with time apart but really, how likely is that to get back together?  She says there is the likelihood but I think she could just be acting nice to ease the blow.  Personally, I would not want someone to say those three words if they don't mean them.  I really wonder what would go through a woman's head in this situation.  Since she doesn't want to talk about things right now, I'll ask ya'll.   ;D

Cap, no one can tell you what is going through her mind without actually knowing the woman herself.
How likely you are to get back together again, depends on whether both of you want it or not.
Also too, depending upon how unbearable certain aspects of your relationship were, one or both of you might decide you never want to experience something like that again. If you've eaten nothing but cream cheese all your life, a sudden introduction to fibre might be a life altering and liberating moment.  :D

ps: If she tells you she loves you, ...she probably does. If you're asking for a prediction of whether you can make it, it depends upon both of you, and your willingness to recognize the crazy cycle that occurs when jealousy rears it's head, the willingness to overcome the obstacle it presents to your relationship, as well as having the willingness and the patience to endure the growing pains that come from evolving your relationship out of that crazy cycle.
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »
Seems like this has been going on for over a year now.  :) Cap you said before that you would def hide money from your SO because in the event the relationship hits the pooper, you wouldn't want her getting her hands on any of your finances. That's a practical tude but doesn't say much for trust. Maybe you like the idea of being your own person with your own stuff, but want total devotion from your girlfriend in return. If so, it'll rarely if ever, work out for you, because your mistrust will always be in the middle and no one will want to completely give you theirs.

But who knows.  You seem like a really traditional guy. Maybe you should be with someone who shares your traditional values. That's the simple answer. Or, since you've been together for a long time, maybe these love skirmishes you two keep having add some heat to the equation.  ;)  Italians are passionate, aren't they?

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
We may disagree elsewhere but I love your posts here and they offer insight I was looking for.  The "it" I was talking about was sex, but I think you knew that.  I think that might explain her jealousy and/or anger about my exes or female friends calling me because she knows I don't consider too many friends and easily write people off so it must have sent up some red flags.  I don't get mad about hanging out with gfs but certainly worry about guys who haven't been family friends or neighbors.  When it comes to people I don't date I'm a scary judge of character and I read her friends (both sexes) right away, which scared her.   ;D  Ultimately I think I need to learn, with whoever, to just let them be them.  At least I can say I didn't drive them away over something trivial like this.  Plus, if I can't trust the woman then it's doomed to fail eventually.  I guess on this one Jag could legitimately make a comment about my age on this one.   ;D

Deedee, things were great until a week ago.  I'll PM you details.
Squishy face retard

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:34 AM »
No, come on, post the details.  All of them.  If you want women's opinions from a female discussion board, that's important.

Most of us have skirted around the facts, waiting to hear more.  We need to hear the truth in order to be able to do the insight.

xL

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
We may disagree elsewhere but I love your posts here and they offer insight I was looking for.  The "it" I was talking about was sex, but I think you knew that.  I think that might explain her jealousy and/or anger about my exes or female friends calling me because she knows I don't consider too many friends and easily write people off so it must have sent up some red flags.  I don't get mad about hanging out with gfs but certainly worry about guys who haven't been family friends or neighbors.  When it comes to people I don't date I'm a scary judge of character and I read her friends (both sexes) right away, which scared her.   ;D  Ultimately I think I need to learn, with whoever, to just let them be them.  At least I can say I didn't drive them away over something trivial like this.  Plus, if I can't trust the woman then it's doomed to fail eventually.  I guess on this one Jag could legitimately make a comment about my age on this one.   ;D

Deedee, things were great until a week ago.  I'll PM you details.

I get it.  I really hope it all works out for you two Cap!!! Judi has some pretty good points in general. But even what you pointed out above is good advice to follow. It usually doesn't work to try to change people. Much as we sometimes would like to.  :P

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks Deedee. Check your PM.

Jag, I'd like to PM you something if you would kindly unblock me.  Nothing crazy or mean.  Thanks.
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:42 AM »
Thanks Deedee. Check your PM.

Jag, I'd like to PM you something if you would kindly unblock me.  Nothing crazy or mean.  Thanks.

You're unblocked Cap.  :)
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
I wondered whether Cap was Always Sore / YMBL?  If not, they are twins.

I think he's (whoever he is) in the mood to mess up the girly board.  What on earth is the point if you go off on a tangent with pm's?

Did you not realise that apart from you and I posting (and some brilliant advice above), you also have maybe 1,000 onlookers going incognito?

Usual bloke bullshit if you ask me.  Mr Cap has understood how we think and he's using it to his advantage.   I really think he ought to have enlivened this thread and expounded it rather than go all pm'y.

xL

Judi?  Deedee?  ~flower~?
ripitup?  w8?  Laura Lee?

Why don't we post his pms? 

We'll re-write this ridiculous going noplace thread !

& where is sane STella when you need her?  bet her inbox is full...

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
I wondered whether Cap was Always Sore / YMBL?  If not, they are twins. Nope.

I think he's (whoever he is) in the mood to mess up the girly board.  What on earth is the point if you go off on a tangent with pm's? Nope, looking for advice, made no attacks and some things are better left private.

Did you not realise that apart from you and I posting (and some brilliant advice above), you also have maybe 1,000 onlookers going incognito?

Usual bloke bullshit if you ask me.  Mr Cap has understood how we think and he's using it to his advantage.   I really think he ought to have enlivened this thread and expounded it rather than go all pm'y.  I have my reasons for keeping certain things in PMs.

xL

Judi?  Deedee?  ~flower~?
ripitup?  w8?  Laura Lee?

Why don't we post his pms?  You don't have any from me unless you are a gimmick and I think those mentioned (don't think I PMed W8) would do that unless seriously provoked which I have not done.

We'll re-write this ridiculous going noplace thread !

& where is sane STella when you need her?  bet her inbox is full...

Squishy face retard

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »

Unless the women is just plain gross - a guy will always want sex from a female friend. So the answer is NO  for "trust men with girl friends".  Women can have guys as friends with not wanting sex.
K