Author Topic: Magoo: The Quest for a 405 bench  (Read 108743 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Magoo attempts to get strong.
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
debussey = correct. while i keep missing the dates, i am going to be competing in the ADAU, which is drug and equipment free.

magoo = scared of needles. needs a nurse to hold his hand while getting a flu shot.  :P
Yet magoo=covered in tats........ ::)

Nice benching. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2008, 10:02:59 PM »
Yet magoo=covered in tats........ ::)

Nice benching. ;)

LOL, thanks man. i can't explain it, i can get tatted all day (i've done 9 hour sessions, after all). for some reason, injections freak me the fuck out.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »
tried a squat workout.

THURSDAY - squats

squats: no belt
135x12
225x8
315x7
315x5

leg press: weights listed in plates per side
5x12
6x12
7x10
8x8

SLDLs:
135x15
185x12
185x12

a bunch of ab work

plate pinches: weight x time in seconds
30x10 - three tens, 10 seconds each hand
50x10 - two 25s
50x6 - couldn't hold on

weight: 228

notes: not bad. check out the vid of my squat attempt. yeah, it's not my best, but i had to be EXTRA careful on my form.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »
good depth Zach, i wish they'd play The Who in my gym or anything besides Beyonce/Shakira for that matter. ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
good depth Zach, i wish they'd play The Who in my gym or anything besides Beyonce/Shakira for that matter. ;D

haha, it's weird. the radio normally blows in this area, and then out of nowhere i'm in the car and suddenly i hear alice cooper hosting his own radio show. not bad at all i'd say.  :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
nice squatn man! look at those hams workin! I'm JEALOUS!  :o

and u think dave just let slip he works out HAHA...post up a log dave under a "gimmick" :) so we can see some numbers from the man himself!  ;D

seriously dave you're a strong bastard too..ain't no shame in showing the tits around here that you old guys can still lift!  ;D

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
hey Magoo, how do you feel your body has changed since starting this type of workout?
I'm kind of doing something similar (although using half the weight ur using :P) and i feel like i have actually got leaner while getting bigger.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »
nice squatn man! look at those hams workin! I'm JEALOUS!  :o

haha, my hams have somehow become my best body part. it used to be my lower back, but now i think my lower back sucks and my hams are the workhorses. i agree too, SF, put up a journal! ;D

hey Magoo, how do you feel your body has changed since starting this type of workout?
I'm kind of doing something similar (although using half the weight ur using :P) and i feel like i have actually got leaner while getting bigger.

a PL workout, you mean? if that's the case, then i think it's made my body blow up. training lifts to get stronger has been the best thing i ever did. and amping down the volume is, aside from my little injury that held me back this week, doing WONDERS.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »
yes a powerlifting routine. I assume u were training the muscle once per week with a typical bodybuilding routine before?
I have found that the gains tend to "stick". With a higher volume routine it was almost as if i would blow up during the workout, and then slwoly deflate over the course of the following week. This type of reoutine seems to create density.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »
i'd put up a training log but there's too many clowns who follow me around the boards that it would turn into a waste of bandwidth but a brief synopsis is that i have a heavy bench/chest day on Tuesdays, insanely enough i squat and deadlift and hit some other leg movements on Wednesdays, i do some rows, pulldowns and some hamstring work on Thursdays and i hit shoulders and triceps on Fridays, i also have kind of a light day on Mondays where i train biceps and calves, lifts as of my last workouts were, bench-315x7, 335x5, 335x5/ squat-405x10, 455x6, 500x4/ deadlift 405x3, 455x3, 495x3/ been hitting the Smith lately on shoulder presses and last workout hit 2 45's a 10 and a 5 on each side of the Cybex Smith with the 15 pound bar for 5 reps/close grip bench 295x7, 305x6, 315x4/ also normally do three sets of 5-6 with the 125's on incline db presses and bb rows top set is normally 315 for 6-7.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
you stop benching what i just did in my squat workout. right now. get weaker.  >:(

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
debussey = correct. while i keep missing the dates, i am going to be competing in the ADAU, which is drug and equipment free.

magoo = scared of needles. needs a nurse to hold his hand while getting a flu shot.  :P

Pussy!  LOL

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »
Pussy!  LOL

Jason

hahaha, your ass doesn't pop in here except for that comment. thanks, ass.   ;D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12:29 AM »

Fear not friend, for I am the supreme lurker in here!

Jason

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
Hey Magoo ur hamstrings look good in ur squat video, have they always been a strongpoint? if not, what do you attribute the gains to?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »

Fear not friend, for I am the supreme lurker in here!

Jason

Also, if you have a question for me, just post it in here and i will do my best to help you out!

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: May 03, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »
Hey Magoo ur hamstrings look good in ur squat video, have they always been a strongpoint? if not, what do you attribute the gains to?

they used to suck, actually. until i saw that video i had no idea they were any good. weird. ??? as for gains, i'd say a shit-ton of deadlift variants and my squat style made a big difference.

FRIDAY: shitty bench-assistance.

close-grip bench:
135x12
225x5
275x4
295x3
295x1 - went wide

bench reps:
225x16 - fuck
225x19 - double fuck.

shoulder press: seated, bar
135x10
185x6
185x5

pullups:
5x12

hammer curls: concentration-ish, one arm at a time with the other braced on the DB rack
55x8
65x6
75x8 - last two or three shitty form

weight: 228

notes: MAN i'm fucking pissed about my bench attempts. i just didn't feel "on" at all. i don't know what to say. next time instead of doing close-grip work i might try just a few singles. i don't know. i'm just pissed that i hit 225x25 a bit ago without even PAUSING, and suddenly 225x19 knocks me the fuck out. linked elsewhere, but here it is again:

in other news, i swear i'm leaner despite losing little weight. my abs are starting to come out again. it's pretty righteous.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #267 on: May 03, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »
I can't see the video for some reason.   :'(
:)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
well that was a dumb idea.

MONDAY - pull day

deadlifts: regular
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x1 - belt on. candy weight.
455x1
500x1 - well, that hurt. not too bad, but i shouldn't have done it.

pause squats:
135x5
225x5
315x5
315x3

light shrugs: pulled the DBs up as high as i could
85x15
85x15
85x15

back raises:
3x12

abs

weight: 227

notes: well, that was a bad idea. that 500 pull made a little "pop" sound in my lower back, but it was just that normal back-cracky deal. still, it hurt a bit and i feel stupid for trying it.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »
If I pull and get a pop out of my low back, Im done! From then on my back feels loose and as if Im pinching nerves.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »
If I pull and get a pop out of my low back, Im done! From then on my back feels loose and as if Im pinching nerves.

a-yup. that's what happened. the pull itself wasn't even that hard, i just had to stop there. i felt like i had 530 in me, but right now i feel pinched as hell. popped some ibuprofen and i'm about to throw an icy hot pad on it after i shower.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
how about you stop lifting at least for two weeks.. give it time to do what it needs to do before pulling some more. Not that you cna't pull..it' sjust showing signs that something bigger will happen later. When I feel somethign pop, tighten up hard, or feel like velcro is being pulled apart under my skin ( muscle tear) I STOP! Stil some sick ass work man..especially feeling the way you do.

so how you liking ALN'S RESULTS baby?!  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: May 05, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »
yeah, i'll still hit my bench workouts, but the next two weeks are going to be VERY light on my back (i can still do some leg work, though, that hurts none whatsoever). i'm laying with an icy-hot pad there now, hoping when i wake up all will be well. might swing by the ol' chiropractor's sometime soon.

and Results! is friggin amazing. i'm 227 but i feel pretty damn strong and i think i look better than i have in a while. once this tub is gone i think i'll buy another.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
yeah man.results in the m orning is becoming ritualistic for me HAHA.. i love how it makes me feel. It's like i do all the work in teh gym.. but feel like i've done nothing after. hell even the next day I do'nt even notice the day's prior's workout! LOVE IT!

dude don't tempt fate on that back..  ;D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #274 on: May 05, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
yeah man.results in the m orning is becoming ritualistic for me HAHA.. i love how it makes me feel. It's like i do all the work in teh gym.. but feel like i've done nothing after. hell even the next day I do'nt even notice the day's prior's workout! LOVE IT!

dude don't tempt fate on that back..  ;D

Im sore as hell right now!  From today!