Author Topic: Any full meet powerlifting routines  (Read 2901 times)

blownby

• Getbig I
Any full meet powerlifting routines
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:08 AM »
Im looking to start competeing in full meets and wondering if anyone knows of any good routines for a full meet guy.  It seems most are all geard to a specific lift not a full meet.

Thanks

John O

• Getbig III
Re: Any full meet powerlifting routines
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
Well there are  specific lifts in a  full meet  ,  Squat, bench press & deadlift.

Monday squat with accessorie work /  Wednesday bench with accessorie work /   Friday deadlift with accessorie work  Is pretty much the standard.  Although I trained  Squat Sat/ Bench Sun and Deadlift Wed.

Check this out. It should help get you started

http://www.musclenet.com/powerliftingfaq.html
Masters- 50-54
148#

blownby

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
Yeah, I know the lifts & the weight I need to be moving to be competetive, just looking for any routines to fine tune the strength portion.  I typicaliy have just lifted to look goood!!
I will be competeing in 198# class. 

I do a 4 day split focusing on the three main (Squat, Bench & Dead) moves and easy basic training on the accesory muscles.

Any ideas on specific movements to strength each major muscle group.

ie..Squat strengthening...Box squats.
ie..Chest strengthening...Board Press.  Looking for some New or different lifts to get stronger or a overall routine.  Dont need hundreds just a few for each lift. 

FWIW  My raw squat is 510, Raw Deadlift is 545 and raw bench is 395.  These are true depth no BS numbers too.....

Thanks Again

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
Are you going to compete RAW or in Gear?

Would you be willing to train for atleast 3 months, building a base, before you even planned on picking a MEET? And that MEET would be another 2-3 months away?

sept 10th APF

blownby

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »
I will do my first natural meet raw.  I plan to do my first one late march.  Get a feel for lifting in a meet.  Then inevitably start lifting with gear.  I would say i have a good base, not really sure what u mean by that comment?

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Im looking to start competeing in full meets and wondering if anyone knows of any good routines for a full meet guy.  It seems most are all geard to a specific lift not a full meet.

Thanks

You aren't looking very hard.

What routine you should use depends primarily on where you are now.  Just starting competing could mean a number of things.  How much do you weigh, and how much do you squat (for real, not some bullshit bodybuilder half squat)

Edit:  Whoops.  Didn't see the follow up posts.

Taka a look at either the 9 week beginner "Westside" routine, or the beginner Sheiko routine.  Both of them can be found at elitefts.com.

blownby

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
Cool....Thanks.....Yes my numbers aren't the BS numbers I see chumps do all the time and augh at em ::).  They are at or below parallel, etc....!

Thanks for the articles Ill check em out!

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
The conjugate method is the best way, IMHO, to build strength for powerlifting.

Jason

blownby

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »
The conjugate method is the best way, IMHO, to build strength for powerlifting.

Jason

Thanks...i did and will do some more reading on this.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
Any ideas on specific movements to strength each major muscle group.

ie..Squat strengthening...Box squats.
ie..Chest strengthening...Board Press.  Looking for some New or different lifts to get stronger or a overall routine.  Dont need hundreds just a few for each lift. 

FWIW  My raw squat is 510, Raw Deadlift is 545 and raw bench is 395.  These are true depth no BS numbers too.....

Thanks Again

Honestly, I'm old school.  "You want a big bench, then bench. you want a big squat, then squat. You want a big deadlift then deadlift." LOL. I might do those other type movements in the off season. But when training for a meet it's just the big 3.

P.S. Nice numbers!
Masters- 50-54
148#

blownby

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »
Thats the thing I do the basics core movement all the time, but need ideas to really strengthn my weak points or do something different to help get strong. 

Like for me I know my lockout sucks on bench, so:  band work, floor press, board press, can help me on that portion.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »

Honestly, I'm old school.  "You want a big bench, then bench. you want a big squat, then squat. You want a big deadlift then deadlift." LOL. I might do those other type movements in the off season. But when training for a meet it's just the big 3.

P.S. Nice numbers!

Very good philosophy IMO.

As empty as paradise