Author Topic: Question about you know who  (Read 4504 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Question about you know who
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
As Ive stated in the past my biblical knowledge isnt that great so please correct me if im wrong.

I dont know if this is correct or just something that someone decided to say one day, but Ive always been told that God is All Good.

If this is correct and if we are made in Gods Image then how is it that we are capable of evil?
If we are made in Gods image and God is all good then the capacity for evil should not be in us.

If you disagree which im sure many do, I would think that we would have different ideas of what being made in Gods image means so please explain that to me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Question about you know who
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
If you believe the Biblical account, God is all good and perfect.  He created a perfect being (Lucifer) who became evil (Satan).  Man was created perfect in God's image and fell to the originator of evil.  I think that's pretty much it in a nutshell.  Or least that's my read of the Genesis story.   

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
We have a choice.

We were made imperfect if we were perfect there would be no point in being.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
to add to that since we are imperfect we should always be working towards perfection. Improving in every moment of our lives.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:59:20 PM »
I appreciate the responses guys but it doesnt address the part of the question that I wanted to hear about.

God is all good, and all powerful, and all knowing
This would reason to lead to the conclusion, that God would not create anything that was capable of evil.
I know that we have free will but this is a moot point b/c it shouldnt exist b/c God should not create something that is capable of evil or bad things if he is all good, all knowing and all powerful

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
I appreciate the responses guys but it doesnt address the part of the question that I wanted to hear about.

God is all good, and all powerful, and all knowing
This would reason to lead to the conclusion, that God would not create anything that was capable of evil.
I know that we have free will but this is a moot point b/c it shouldnt exist b/c God should not create something that is capable of evil or bad things if he is all good, all knowing and all powerful

[you don't have to] you have to look at it this way. everything that God does is for our good. This is why people have a hard time understanding why people die, why there is suffering or the classic line why do bad things happen to good people.

If all our lives were perfect and there was no suffering we would not be able to grow. Nothing would change, ever. We would be robots. If there was no evil there would be no free will. Life would then be useless. Life would have no meaning.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
[you don't have to] you have to look at it this way. everything that God does is for our good. This is why people have a hard time understanding why people die, why there is suffering or the classic line why do bad things happen to good people.

If all our lives were perfect and there was no suffering we would not be able to grow. Nothing would change, ever. We would be robots. If there was no evil there would be no free will. Life would then be useless. Life would have no meaning.

Ok i see your point, but i dont buy it as you explained it to me. First of, for most of my life thats exactly what heaven was explained to me as. So would you say that there would be bad things in heaven as well, b/c if not then we will all be sitting around like robots right?

I also think you missed my arguement b/c if my statement is correct then we wouldnt have free will and yes there would be no bad things but that is a moot point as it is a result and not a determing factor. The determining factors are God is all good, all powerful and all knowing.

My arguement for "bad things" happening in life is how do we know that God isnt saving these people from a more horrible fate later on, this would mean that the "bad thing" is actually a compasionate one. My reasoning, I know it can be criticized to no end.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
Good and Evil are terms we humans give to things based on our perspective, not inherent properties of the universe; that is why most people think that the infanticide that GOD brought about in the Book of Exodus is evil and when the alleged Jesus of Nazareth healed lepers we think it is good. The truth is that the universe is neither good nor evil, just pitilessly indifferent.
I hate the State.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
Ok i see your point, but i dont buy it as you explained it to me. First of, for most of my life thats exactly what heaven was explained to me as. So would you say that there would be bad things in heaven as well, b/c if not then we will all be sitting around like robots right?

I also think you missed my arguement b/c if my statement is correct then we wouldnt have free will and yes there would be no bad things but that is a moot point as it is a result and not a determing factor. The determining factors are God is all good, all powerful and all knowing.

My arguement for "bad things" happening in life is how do we know that God isnt saving these people from a more horrible fate later on, this would mean that the "bad thing" is actually a compasionate one. My reasoning, I know it can be criticized to no end.

what do you think life is like in heaven?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »
Good and Evil are terms we humans give to things based on our perspective, not inherent properties of the universe; that is why most people think that the infanticide that GOD brought about in the Book of Exodus is evil and when the alleged Jesus of Nazareth healed lepers we think it is good. The truth is that the universe is neither good nor evil, just pitilessly indifferent.
I know your opinioin, i was asking the Christians.

You should check out my thread called "Questions for non believers"

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:54:27 PM »
well in all honesty i have no idea, but the way that it has been described to me growing up is a blissful place, where there is no pain, etc...pretty much all the good and none of the bad. Which is why i find it hard to accept your answer at face value. Your going to have to explain that to me in a little bit more depth

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
If you believe the Biblical account, God is all good and perfect.  He created a perfect being (Lucifer) who became evil (Satan).

I guess picking up on irony is not the village idiot's BB's strength.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »
It's past curfew.  Better get off the internet before you get grounded.

Parasite single

Parasite single (パラサイトシングル, parasaito shinguru) is a Japanese term for people who live with their parents until their late twenties or early thirties in order to enjoy a carefree and comfortable life. In English, the expression parasitic single or "sponge" may sometimes be used.

The expression is mainly used in reference to Japanese society, but similar phenomena can also be found in other countries worldwide, such as Italy where 30-something singles still relying on their mother are well known joke among Europeans, or in Germany where it is known as Hotel Mama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_single

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:56 PM »
well in all honesty i have no idea, but the way that it has been described to me growing up is a blissful place, where there is no pain, etc...pretty much all the good and none of the bad. Which is why i find it hard to accept your answer at face value. Your going to have to explain that to me in a little bit more depth

It most likely is a blissful place with no pain. My thoughts on heaven would be that when you die your life is finished. There can be no more growth of your character, nothing new can be experienced or learned.

There would be no opportunity for change. You would remain the same for the rest of your eternal life. It would be nothing like life on earth. There wouldn't be any freewill.

This is why life is soo important, life is here to be lived in and enjoyed. You are accessed on what you do on Earth, how you act and react to situations. The further you move yourself from where you started in life the higher you'll be when you die. not higher not lower. When you're dead you're dead.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
It's past curfew.  Better get off the internet before you get grounded.

Parasite single

Parasite single (パラサイトシングル, parasaito shinguru) is a Japanese term for people who live with their parents until their late twenties or early thirties in order to enjoy a carefree and comfortable life. In English, the expression parasitic single or "sponge" may sometimes be used.

The expression is mainly used in reference to Japanese society, but similar phenomena can also be found in other countries worldwide, such as Italy where 30-something singles still relying on their mother are well known joke among Europeans, or in Germany where it is known as Hotel Mama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_single

grandpa meltdown

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
It most likely is a blissful place with no pain. My thoughts on heaven would be that when you die your life is finished. There can be no more growth of your character, nothing new can be experienced or learned.

There would be no opportunity for change. You would remain the same for the rest of your eternal life. It would be nothing like life on earth. There wouldn't be any freewill.

This is why life is soo important, life is here to be lived in and enjoyed. You are accessed on what you do on Earth, how you act and react to situations. The further you move yourself from where you started in life the higher you'll be when you die. not higher not lower. When you're dead you're dead.
you make it seem like life on earth is better than life in heaven? Like you said no free will and we will be walking around like robots. Another question why give us free will then just to take it away? I think your getting to the root of my arguement and I hope that it causes you as much mental frustration as it does to me, not to be mean but hopefully its opened your eyes a little.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »
I know your opinioin, i was asking the Christians.

You should check out my thread called "Questions for non believers"

It is not an opinion. It is an observational fact backed up by a mass of data.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
It is not an opinion. It is an observational fact backed up by a mass of data.
LOL so were so many theories until they were proved wrong, you stomp around here and post with overtones of arrogance. If you really were a person in the know you would tread a little lighter. If not for the understanding that your belief does have problems, then out of respect for others beliefs.

AND YOU STILL HAVENT ANSWERED MY OTHER THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
LOL so were so many theories until they were proved wrong, you stomp around here and post with overtones of arrogance. If you really were a person in the know you would tread a little lighter. If not for the understanding that your belief does have problems, then out of respect for others beliefs.

AND YOU STILL HAVENT ANSWERED MY OTHER THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the world. Bad things happen to bad people, to good people, to animals, seemingly with neither rhyme nor reason. 99% of every species that has ever lived is now extinct. Occam's Razor...think about it; it is very simple. Going on about the theodicy is retarded and is something people should have stopped doing centuries ago. Your religious upbringing has left poison in your mind; you ought to cleanse it.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Look at the world. Bad things happen to bad people, to good people, to animals, seemingly with neither rhyme nor reason. 99% of every species that has ever lived is now extinct. Occam's Razor...think about it; it is very simple. Going on about the theodicy is retarded and is something people should have stopped doing centuries ago. Your religious upbringing has left poison in your mind; you ought to cleanse it.
LOL how exactly is my religion POISON?
I fail to see how the idea that life came from nothingness is the simplest explaination.

SINCE YOU WONT RESPOND TO MY OTHER POST ILL ADDRESS IT HERE FOR YOU:

Following along the lines of Newton: all things will remain in motion or not in motion until acted upon by an outside force. So what created the first move in this motionless space?

was religion forced upon you as a child, why do percieve youself superior to those who believe in religion? and even to the point of angering you?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »
you make it seem like life on earth is better than life in heaven? Like you said no free will and we will be walking around like robots. Another question why give us free will then just to take it away? I think your getting to the root of my arguement and I hope that it causes you as much mental frustration as it does to me, not to be mean but hopefully its opened your eyes a little.

possibly who knows?
Too much time is spent on thinking about the afterlife. People don't think enough that life is now. Too much time is spent on petty BS without appreciating life. One thing we all have in common is time. Once your time runs out thats it. You can't do anything else.

Giving us free will is our test. What you decide to do or not do. Not only in spiritual sense, also in life. There are consequences to everything you do. It isn't up to God, your mom, your neighbour, your boss, me, or anyone else. Your life is up to you, sure we are all given situations we have to deal with and overcome. There will always be situations to deal with, what matters is you how come out of them. This is how we grow. Life is test.

It doesn't cause me frustration but I am interested in the topic. It reinforces my opinion that life is here to be lived and enjoyed. This is why time is more important than anything else. It's what you do with it that matters.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
possibly who knows?
Too much time is spent on thinking about the afterlife. People don't think enough that life is now. Too much time is spent on petty BS without appreciating life. One thing we all have in common is time. Once your time runs out thats it. You can't do anything else.

Giving us free will is our test. What you decide to do or not do. Not only in spiritual sense, also in life. There are consequences to everything you do. It isn't up to God, your mom, your neighbour, your boss, me, or anyone else. Your life is up to you, sure we are all given situations we have to deal with and overcome. There will always be situations to deal with, what matters is you how come out of them. This is how we grow. Life is test.

It doesn't cause me frustration but I am interested in the topic. It reinforces my opinion that life is here to be lived and enjoyed. This is why time is more important than anything else. It's what you do with it that matters.
I agree whole heartedly even though i must confess i still find myself argueing over petty meaningless things from time to time.

I wasnt trying to be mean, frustration leads me to seek answers and i hope that you will look for them too. (if you find them let me know)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »
I agree whole heartedly even though i must confess i still find myself argueing over petty meaningless things from time to time.

I wasnt trying to be mean, frustration leads me to seek answers and i hope that you will look for them too. (if you find them let me know)

frustration is a good thing as long as you don't quit in the middle of it.

has anything I've said given you some clarity?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
LOL how exactly is my religion POISON?
I fail to see how the idea that life came from nothingness is the simplest explaination.

SINCE YOU WONT RESPOND TO MY OTHER POST ILL ADDRESS IT HERE FOR YOU:

Following along the lines of Newton: all things will remain in motion or not in motion until acted upon by an outside force. So what created the first move in this motionless space?

was religion forced upon you as a child, why do percieve youself superior to those who believe in religion? and even to the point of angering you?

You are deviating from the main point, which was 'the problem' of 'good' and 'evil'...I have to get to work...I'll be back.  8)
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
frustration is a good thing as long as you don't quit in the middle of it.

has anything I've said given you some clarity?
yes and no which is i suppose the same with you, some things ring true and others need to be thought about by me in order for me to process them