Author Topic: Power Cleans.  (Read 13298 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Power Cleans.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
no, sadly, not every could look like that. in that picture i weigh a tad under 200 at about 13 % bf bro.  im about your height too.  so basically you are owning yourself there pal...   because based on your stats you look worse than me in that photo..and in that photo im a natural 18 year old.  :-X

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
mesomorph is about 7-8 %bf. monstrous difference.
more like 10-11 percent.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »
more like 10-11 percent.
nahhh.... throw some diuretics into meso and he is ready to take the stage at a regional show and place. hes about 8 %.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
Does anyone do heavy upright rows to compliment the power clean? I've found that really helps with that stage of the lift. Deads from the floor also helps to roll your hips to complete the rep.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
It amuses me that bodybuilders are so hung up on body part training.  The body works as a unit in any athletic endeavor.  Doing four different calf exercises or four different bicep exercises is a waste of time to increase athletic function. 

Getting back to the topic at hand power cleans. You shouldn't think of it as a body part exercise but a whole body exercise.  What muscle does the power clean develop?  It develops the muscles that will increase that explosive sprint. It will increase your vertical leap.  It will increase the muscles needed when you take that hand off and explode into the hole just made by the right guard.  It will increase the muscles needed to crash into the linebacker for another yard. 

I have seen to many athletes sitting in machine after machine doing body part training trying to increase their athletic potential in their sport when they could be gaining so much more with proper training.  Most athletes would be way ahead of the game if they just did core gross body movements like the clean, snatch, squat, press, dips and chins.  Of course there are others but just doing the listed twice to three times a week would be a great supplement to any football player, wrestler, or sprinters training program.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
It will increase your vertical leap.  It will increase the muscles needed when you take that hand off and explode into the hole just made by the right guard.

Exactly, I laid out numerous d-ends, and fat unathletic p.o.s defensive tackles >:( >:(

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »
It amuses me that bodybuilders are so hung up on body part training.  The body works as a unit in any athletic endeavor.  Doing four different calf exercises or four different bicep exercises is a waste of time to increase athletic function. 

Getting back to the topic at hand power cleans. You shouldn't think of it as a body part exercise but a whole body exercise.  What muscle does the power clean develop?  It develops the muscles that will increase that explosive sprint. It will increase your vertical leap.  It will increase the muscles needed when you take that hand off and explode into the hole just made by the right guard.  It will increase the muscles needed to crash into the linebacker for another yard. 

I have seen to many athletes sitting in machine after machine doing body part training trying to increase their athletic potential in their sport when they could be gaining so much more with proper training.  Most athletes would be way ahead of the game if they just did core gross body movements like the clean, snatch, squat, press, dips and chins.  Of course there are others but just doing the listed twice to three times a week would be a great supplement to any football player, wrestler, or sprinters training program.
i agree with you completely.

but

most of us are not athletes

and we do not care about athleticism or functional strength.

my only worrry is ... "make big muscles bigger"  :D

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »
I tried 3 plates tonight.  I got 3 clean reps and 2 not so clean.   It felt much better than I thought it would.  I am actually more impressed with my push-presses; 275 for 5.  It went up like butter.

It won't be long before I am kicked out of Planet Fitness in Waltham, MA.

;D

Good stuff. I hear you on Planet Fit having that "discussion" with you about "moving" weight like that around that mofo. Your intimidating the other clients. lol.

Hence the new terms (fitness club, health club, fitness centers..etc) when not too long ago they were simply called "gyms" 

All Good. congrats on the press. As for me. Back on the shelf slightly. "Tweaked" my right knee a bit on the bags a couple nights ago boxing. Injuries (even little ones) are a b*tch. I'd be pi$$ed if I did this for a living. LOL.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »
because most effective bodybuilding routines are compromised of workout schedules based on one body part per workout. cleans incorporate alot of muscles. pretty much the entire body ! this would interfere with recovery and growth from your other workouts.

Last I checked deadlifts and squats incorporate a lot of muscles as well.  Hell, almost your entire body even.  Does that mean you should pull them out and throw in pulldowns and leg extensions instead?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »
Last I checked deadlifts and squats incorporate a lot of muscles as well.  Hell, almost your entire body even.  Does that mean you should pull them out and throw in pulldowns and leg extensions instead?
depends on a couple of factors...

i like rack deadlifts and hack squats... but i never ever do regular deads or regular squats...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
Can-did should write a complete book about his training knowledge, workouts and experience. Problem is, all the pages will be blank. Good Luck.
F

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
Can-did should write a complete book about his training knowledge, workouts and experience. Problem is, all the pages will be blank. Good Luck.

Co-Author

Google.com

::) ::) ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »

i like rack deadlifts and hack squats... but i never ever do regular deads or regular squats...

i thought you always did smith deadlifts. and besides, wouldn't rack deads put MORE stress on all the same muscles as a regular pull?

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
i thought you always did smith deadlifts. and besides, wouldn't rack deads put MORE stress on all the same muscles as a regular pull?

You are right Magoo,

I remember him saying he pulled on the smith machine.

Brutal Hypocrisy. He's got caught out a few times I've seen.  >:( >:(

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »
 rack deads and smith deads are very similar, the way i do them.  i cant speak for you guys.

jpm i love you too baby

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 05:42:10 PM »
rack deads and smith deads are very similar, the way i do them.  i cant speak for you guys.

jpm i love you too baby

they're so similar you forgot which one you did??

also you totally blew off the fact that rack deads use all the same muscles ae regular deads, just with more weight.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »
thats cool bro. you know what, your 100% correct bro.  :)

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »

jpm i love you too baby

How in the name of Christ do you pull on a smith machine?   Are you using limited ranges?  I would think there would be a tendency to pull the whole rack back- against the fixed plane of motion.

Please post a video - I really want to see this movement.

-Kim

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
heres a link to a video where dexter jackson does smith deads.  you have to sit through about 3 minutes of dexter bullshitting with dave palumbo before you see him do them.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1086/204/

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:48 PM »
heres a link to a video where dexter jackson does smith deads.  you have to sit through about 3 minutes of dexter bullshitting with dave palumbo before you see him do them.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1086/204/

Interesting - thanks for the link.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »
great functional movement. good for athletes. good foreveryday agility and strength.

for bodybuilding ?? forget about it.

Please tell me this post is a joke

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »

And therefore that makes them useless for bodybuilding?  A larger ego does not exist anywhere on this planet.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
there's a great clip on youtube of Justin Harris and Steve Kuclo doing reps on clean and presses with something like 225, i'll see if i can find it.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 09:21:47 AM »
And therefore that makes them useless for bodybuilding?  A larger ego does not exist anywhere on this planet.
yup thats me, huge ego,  :D

i wouldnt say they are USELESS... certainly not without use.. but i would say that i doubt you will ever fin a professional body builder who consistantly has them as part of his routine. and i doubt that any bodybuilding trainer ( example = charles gllass) would ever have any of his bodybuilding clients EVER perform cleans.

awesome athletic movement, to be sure. football players and the like, IMO benefit greatly from such exercises.

bodybuilders...... nnnaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

but YO

you do your thing,  i do mine;  see you a the finish line  :D  ;)  ;D