Author Topic: How often do you think about killing yourself?  (Read 20766 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: How often do you think about killing yourself?
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
the problem with these drugs is that once you stop em, you come back to your natural psychological status.

so you d better deal with it  by yourself and without the help of "drugs".

Not necessarily. How exactly many of these drugs really work isn't known. They can alter the neural network anatomy in the brain. We also know depression itself can change the brain anatomically - you can see certain areas shrink etc. By pulling you out of depression and changing your thinking the drugs can alter your brain structures. Actually there's no proof depressed people lack serotonin or what have you (no one gets tested for chemical imbalances when they are prescribed the drugs). What is known that boosting these chemicals helps the depressed.

The drugs are really effective in serious cases. Works faster than any behavioral therapy, and getting help real fast is sometimes important. Combining therapy with drugs is probably the best approach.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »
DEA, he's getting paranoid
Must be the coke acting up.......although I'm sure with the 100% pure coke he is getting, he wouldn't have these kinds of sides. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2008, 09:23:09 PM »
a sense of belonging is critical to being happy - join a team

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »
I have never thought about it.  Whenever I have one thought of feeling sorry for myself, all I have to do is read about current events going on in developing nations (war, famine, genocide) to realize how good I have it here.   All of us born in first world nations have already won the fucking lottery.  Shame most will never know that.   

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »
check your pms dude

this can be for anyone.

ever think you just suck and you are depressed about it. you should be depressed about it. It means you have to change. Doctors are willing to prescribe anything.

what if you were in europe 150 years ago? they didn't have anything for anti depressants. either a shot to back of the head or you got on with life and you did the things necessary to improve yourself.

This mumbo jumbo bullshit people cry about is all for pharmaceutical companies and psychiatrists profit off of.

Some of you will say life is too hard, my life sucks etc. When you look at your life, life is easy. I don't know exactly what your situation is JT, maybe you haven't accomplished anything yet, I'm not sure. I'm certain if you did something for yourself and continued working at your life daily. Suicide would not be an issue.

Do you bodybuild? If you do you know it doesn't take one workout to look like Arnold

Life takes work simple as that. Whatever your mindset is you have to work within that. No matter if you are a pessimist or an optimist.

Whoops I missed it I was playing video games, I'm gonna go check it now, good post.

TEAM Nasser

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
All of us born in first world nations have already won the fucking lottery.  Shame most will never know that.   

this is so true

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
Not necessarily. How exactly many of these drugs really work isn't known. They can alter the neural network anatomy in the brain. We also know depression itself can change the brain anatomically - you can see certain areas shrink etc. By pulling you out of depression and changing your thinking the drugs can alter your brain structures.

The drugs are really effective in serious cases. Works faster than any behavioral therapy, and getting help real fast is sometimes important. Combining therapy with drugs is probably the best approach.

Great post.

A sidenote: The brain structures are changing every day automatically, and more when you do and learn new things. The smart person makes a habit of controlling his/hers thinking, thereby changing their brain into producing this type of thinking automatically over time.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »

Great post.

A sidenote: The brain structures are changing every day. The smart person makes a habit of controlling his/hers thinking, thereby changing their brain into producing this type of thinking automatically over time.

I saw you said pretty much the same thing  :D

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
Claiming that the cause of depression is only due to "chemical imbalances in your brain you have no control over" not the whole truth. The brain changes as a result of what you do and what you think (brain plasticity), and with that change follows a physical change that can manifest itself as a change in neurotransmittor configuration, and thus cause depression. When your "psychological hardware" has become strongly enough changed, your brain will be "wired" for a tendency towards depressive thoughts, this has now become your "style", and it's hard to snap out of it yourself because you have to forcefully think in other ways than your brain now is telling you to (try thinking positive thoughts while being pissed off).

This is not the whole explanation of depression of course. Some people are born with a genetic makeup that leads to depression regardless of thinking style and so on.

But the mentioned scenario still holds true. People that go for a long time with a very negative/unfortunate style of thinking can basically rewire their brain so that the new "normal" for their brain becomes "depressive". The cause of the thoughts can be called "chemical imbalance" measured against a normal configuration, but the cause of the "imbalance" itself is the thinking style. THis is part of the reason for why many people that got a depression felt like they went into a "bad circle" they could not snap out of.

There is probably also a threshold point for depression. When passing this threshold point, snapping out of depression without drugs = extremely hard because the brains biology = now so primed for depression that forcing yourself to think positive = almost impossible.

And in all seriousness, if your brain is first wired for depression, regardless of the cause, it's probably extremely hard to just "think yourself out of it" for most people. Fixing the biology issue by taking a drug will improve their quality of life as well as easing the road to recovery.

Very good post debussey, yes part of psychologist tell you to do is think a different way, write down your thoughts and stuff, I forget what it is but they tell you how to change the way you think, but it is hard.  Its negative postivite cognitive thinking, thats what it is. 

jt
TEAM Nasser

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »
 awesome posts from van and debussey !

man, ive got a good eye for people. thats all i gotta say.  :D

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »
this is so true

Yes but living a good life, ie money, girls whatever doesn't lead to happiness as many people find out, they are many very happy poor ass people who live in shitholes.

TEAM Nasser

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
I saw you said pretty much the same thing  :D

Haha, yes :D

Very good post debussey, yes part of psychologist tell you to do is think a different way, write down your thoughts and stuff, I forget what it is but they tell you how to change the way you think, but it is hard.

jt

Good stuff. Writing a diary, and in other ways analyzing and guiding your thinking = very clever for anybody. And yes, changing the way you think = very hard, but worth it. What you habitually do gets ingrained in you with enough repetition, just like driving a car. Eventually you don't have to think at all when performing the task, and you have to forcefully concentrate and struggle to change the way you do the task when you first "get it". That's why many athletes have issues "unlearning" mistakes they have "trained in".
The same applies for your thinking. If you've been thinking "enough repetitions" of a certain thought or set of thoughts, changing it is very hard. That's why its so damn important to take what your psychologist tells you to do seriously, because if you want to "rewire" your way of thinking which can lead to easing and likely eventually destroying your depression, you've gotta take the job seriously and focus a lot on it, because combatting a learned behaviour by unlearning it and learning a new one to replace it needs a lot of repetition. The good news is that once you've installed new ways of thinking and acting, those will eventually become so strongly ingrained in you that being depressed will seem like a long gone thing.

But just like anything in life, there is no free lunch, expect to spend years practicing what your psychologist teaches you every day to become real good at it, but it will probably pay off for you big time. That does not mean that it will take you years to snap out of the depression, but it will take years to become really good at it and destroy every part of your "old self" (if you truly want to) :D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »

Good stuff. Writing a diary, and in other ways analyzing and guiding your thinking = very clever for anybody. And yes, changing the way you think = very hard, but worth it. What you habitually do gets ingrained in you with enough repetition, just like driving a car. Eventually you don't have to think at all when performing the task, and you have to forcefully concentrate and struggle to change the way you do the task when you first "get it". That's why many athletes have issues "unlearning" mistakes they have "trained in".
The same applies for your thinking. If you've been thinking "enough repetitions" of a certain thought or set of thoughts, changing it is very hard. That's why its so damn important to take what your psychologist tells you to do seriously, because if you want to "rewire" your way of thinking which can lead to easing and likely eventually destroying your depression, you've gotta take the job seriously and focus a lot on it, because combatting a learned behaviour by unlearning it and learning a new one to replace it needs a lot of repetition. The good news is that once you've installed new ways of thinking and acting, those will eventually become so strongly ingrained in you that being depressed will seem like a long gone thing.

But just like anything in life, there is no free lunch, expect to spend years practicing what your psychologist teaches you every day to become real good at it, but it will probably pay off for you big time :D
I think debussey = lying about its IQ=53.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »
good post debussey
follow the arrows

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »

But just like anything in life, there is no free lunch, expect to spend years practicing what your psychologist teaches you every day to become real good at it, but it will probably pay off for you big time. That does not mean that it will take you years to snap out of the depression, but it will take years to become really good at it and destroy every part of your "old self" (if you truly want to) :D

Very good post, true too.

jt
TEAM Nasser

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:34 PM »
I think debussey = lying about its IQ=53.
35 is more like it.
follow the arrows

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
Very good post, true too.

jt

Hope everything works out for you man, take care :D

35 is more like it.

There you go :D

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Hope everything works out for you man, take care :D

There you go :D

Thanks, it has been and is working great, the neg pos cognative thinking.  Also they taught me if I was in a situation that sucked, do something about it now and get out of it.  Wether it's if your at the bar with buddies and it sucks or somewhere else, don't stay in shitty situations, do something and get out of them, that really worked well for me too.  The drugs helped as well.

jt
TEAM Nasser

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
Come out of the closet.  End of suicidal problem.  :D

Goddamn - owned by bayGBM.
Now that is a post long overdue
 keeping it real

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
I have never thought about it.  Whenever I have one thought of feeling sorry for myself, all I have to do is read about current events going on in developing nations (war, famine, genocide) to realize how good I have it here.   All of us born in first world nations have already won the fucking lottery.  Shame most will never know that.   

This really has nothing to do with depression.  More feeling sorry for yourself, different things.

jt
TEAM Nasser

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
for most of you young nolifes and losers, one of the first thing to do is to stop living in fantasyland on the internet and especially on this messageboard.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »
I feel miserable most of the time. if i get drunk i inevitably crash and feel opposite of what i felt drunk.   Anything that makes me feel good, soon it's over and I crash from it. That's just the way it is.  I never thought of the easy way out, not sure why.  Medication never helped me.   I just try to act positive and happy and I can fool others, and sometimes even myself.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
I feel miserable most of the time. if i get drunk i inevitably crash and feel opposite of what i felt drunk.   Anything that makes me feel good, soon it's over and I crash from it. That's just the way it is.  I never thought of the easy way out, not sure why.  Medication never helped me.   I just try to act positive and happy and I can fool others, and sometimes even myself.

Maybe the reason is your short height?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
have u seeked therapy?
follow the arrows

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »

A lot of people feel this way, I know the 10mg of lexapro wasn't enough for me and they bumped me up to 20mg, what kind of medication did you try before?  They have a lot of different drugs that can work for different people, it is worth trying it can change you life and mindset. 

TEAM Nasser