Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - 1980 Mr Olympia loss - Schwarzenegger wins!  (Read 63774 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Mike Mentzer - 1980 Mr Olympia loss - Schwarzenegger wins!
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »
The controversy of controversies.

The 1980 Mr Olympia contest staged in Sydney, Australia, remains by far the most controversial in the event's history. The contention centers on the participation of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had announced his retirement from competition in 1975 after winning six consecutive Mr. Olympia titles.
Seemingly only in Sydney to do commentary for CBS TV , Arnold stunned the bodybuilding world on the eve of the contest by declaring that he was returning to competition in pursuit of a seventh title.

Two days before the contest, Mike had that same " death's door feeling " which again confined him to bed for a whole day. By the morning of the contest, though, he had fully recovered. He was 225 pounds and more cut than he'd ever been. " I looked my best , but I didn't feel at my best.  It just didn't feel like a normal contest; no one was being their usual selves. There was a strain and tension in the air all the way though."

WHO TERMINATED WHOM!

That strain and tension came to an electrifying climax at the competitors meeting held the morning of the contest. Fifteen of the 16 athletes had signed a petition asking that the two weight classes be abolished and that the Olympia should be contested as one open class. The one athlete not in agreement was Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whatever the rights & wrongs , facts and misconceptions , theories and myths surrounded the 1980 Me. Olympia contest , in the interests of this narrative, it's important to understand that Mike Mentzer felt he was cheated in Sydney, and that sinister machinations were afoot. His belief is that certain forces , fueled by ignorance and sycophancy, combined to thrust an undeserving Arnold to first place and relegate him - perceived as owning the best physique in the contest - " ridiculous " fifth place.

This is how Mike recalls that fateful day. " There were maybe 50 people at the competitors meeting and as usual, Arnold wanted to be the center of attention. In every situation, he tries to be the standout, and on this occasion, he was the only athlete of the 16 in the contest who wanted to keep the two weight classes. " He said something to denigrate Samir Bannout that I thought was uncalled for. I passed on that, feeling Samir should have defended himself. As the debate progressed, there was a lot of arguing between Arnold and some of the guys. I wasn't really concerned one way or the other - I thought I could win anyway. Then Boyer Coe stood up and , as the gentlemen he is , said , " Why don't we let Arnold explain to us right here and now his exact reasons for wanted to have two weight classes? "

" Arnold barked , ' Boyer, lets talk like adults here. ' That really irked me , because Boyer made his plea with no hint of malice. In addition, this was the IFBB's event, but here was this big Prussian son of a bitch standing there acting like a Nazi and trying to walk all over us. " For some reason , that question pissed him off. He seemed like a guy out of control as he turned to face me, his upper lip curled around like a snarling animal. We were debating the issue of weight classes, but Arnold choose to snap at me. ' Mike Mentzer, we all know Zane beat you last year because you have a big stomach! '

" I was seated 20 feet away from Arnold, who was standing holding court, and I perhaps allowed that comment to irritate me too much, as on impulse, I bolted toward him. As I approached him, I decided I wouldn't hit him, but nevertheless I was surprised when Arnold sat down: I scared him! He sat as I continued to berate him. Wagging my finger at him, I told him, ' Look, Arnold, Boyer Coe said what he did as a gentlemen- he didn't deserve that response. You're the one who's acting like a baby,literally! ' Armold couldn't look me in the eye. He went from being a frantic hysterical adolescent to shrinking away like an injured child. "

Not for the first time in the history of bodybuilding, Joe Weider stepped in and defused the situation. He advised Arnold to accept the voices of the other 15. The debate ended as Arnold proclaimed, " I withdraw my objection. "

DECISION DOWN UNDER

" Throughout that meeting, Arnold had on a tight-knit weather that made him look skinny. I was curious to see what he looked like once he stripped down. When he did, I remember looking at him and thinking, Not only and I going to win this contest, but I'm going to beat Arnold Schwarzenegger as well!

" When I was called fifth, I was totally shocked. It was just a ridiculous placing, made more ridiculous by an out-of-shape Arnold winning. As for the other who finished ahead of me, I knew Frank Zane [ third ], due to an accident he had sustained four months earlier, wasn't as good as he had been the previous year. I mist say that Chris Dickerson [ second ] and Boyer Coe [ fourth ] were in phenomenal shape, particularly Chris. I felt he and I were the ones in absolute peak condition, and we should have been top two.

" The majority of observers at the 1980 Mr. Olympia, with the exception of the judging panel, didn't have Arnold in the top five. The crowd booed Arnold at the contest's conclusion, and there were a number of things that took place during the prejudging that perhaps should have provided an indication that as was not as it should have bee.

" Several of the judges were close friends of Arnold. Boyer Coe told me afterwards that he saw Reg Park, one of the judges, actually coaching Arnold from the official's table. In contrast, Bill Pearl had honorably removed himself from the judging panel, as he had spent some time training with Chris Dickerson.

" At times, the contest was like a circus. We had Franco Columbu- one of Arnold's weak-willed namby-pamy lackeys - coming onstage with a towel, a comb and oil, to go through a little act with Arnold at the expense of everybody else. I could quote other anomalies, but possibly the most pertinent is that CBS Sports flew half away around the world to tape the event and then never televised it. The word was that they were convinced it was a fix. " The record may show Arnold Schwarzenegger as the 1980 Mr. Olympia champion, but he wasn't the best bodybuilder onstage that day - not by a mile. "

In the immediate aftermath of the contest, several top names stated they would never compete again. They would later reverse their decisions and return to the contest dais. But even as he was announced fifth, Mike knew he would never compete again: " There was no way I was going to put myself though the same tortuous process again for a similar reward. At no point since 1980 have I been even sligthtly tempted to consider the possibility of competing. I don'tmiss it. "

Of all of its repercussions, it is difficult not to nominate Mike's premature retirement at 29 as being the major consequence of the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest. It effectively denied the sport of a view of the physique he could have built in future years.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Mike Mentzer's point of view on the 1980 Mr Olympia
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
unfortunately Mike let the outcome of the 1980 Mr Olympia effect the rest of his life and his happiness level

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Does anybody think MM would have been any better than the 1980 Olympia? He peaked.
$

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
Some people look for excuses to self destruct...had it not happened at the 1980 Olympia, it would have happened shortly thereafter.

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
unfortunately Mike let the outcome of the 1980 Mr Olympia effect the rest of his life and his happiness level

Some people look for excuses to self destruct...had it not happened at the 1980 Olympia, it would have happened shortly thereafter.

exactly

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
 Mike Mentzer, we all know Zane beat you last year because you have a big stomach! '

Funny line....I can see Arnold saying that and then running for cover from Mike  8)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
what a cluster that contest was

they let an out of shape has been with chicken legs win a contest mentzer should have won

i hope in nassers upcoming tell all book he can describe the behind the scenes happenings of when an out of shape yates stole the crown from him
w

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »
" I was seated 20 feet away from Arnold, who was standing holding court, and I perhaps allowed that comment to irritate me too much, as on impulse, I bolted toward him. As I approached him, I decided I wouldn't hit him, but nevertheless I was surprised when Arnold sat down: I scared him! He sat as I continued to berate him. Wagging my finger at him, I told him, ' Look, Arnold, Boyer Coe said what he did as a gentlemen- he didn't deserve that response. You're the one who's acting like a baby,literally! ' Armold couldn't look me in the eye. He went from being a frantic hysterical adolescent to shrinking away like an injured child. "

So, is this the story that goes with the picture everyone's always posting of arnold in a chair and Mentzer pointing at him? 
just not good enough

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

So, is this the story that goes with the picture everyone's always posting of arnold in a chair and Mentzer pointing at him? 

:)

Moosejay

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
Mike Mentzer, we all know Zane beat you last year because you have a big stomach! '

Funny line....I can see Arnold saying that and then running for cover from Mike  8)

Exactly. Arnold backed down when MM approached him, not even meeting his eyes with his own -Paper Tiger

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
  • Jesse James Dean Martin Lawrence Fishburne
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
Exactly. Arnold backed down when MM approached him, not even meeting his eyes with his own -Paper Tiger

yep not lookin him in the eyes the second that pic was taken....i cant imagine arnold being scared enough to avoid eye contact .............   ;)

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
yep not lookin him in the eyes the second that pic was taken....i cant imagine arnold being scared enough to avoid eye contact .............   ;)

Ken Waller was there to protect Arnold, and make no doubt about it, he would clean Mike's clock.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:03:37 PM »
the point of Arnold's talking about Mentzer and then sitting down was to make Mentzer look like the agressor and make a fool of himself, Arnold sat down putting Mentzer in the superior position.  Mentzer looked like a fool and should have focused on the contest ahead.  He took the bait and let Arnold get into his head...the result...humiliation.  The last time he felt like that, Szalak beat him.  He had image problems...they contributed to his demise.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
the point of Arnold's talking about Mentzer and then sitting down was to make Mentzer look like the agressor and make a fool of himself, Arnold sat down putting Mentzer in the superior position.  Mentzer looked like a fool and should have focused on the contest ahead.  He took the bait and let Arnold get into his head...the result...humiliation.  The last time he felt like that, Szalak beat him.  He had image problems...they contributed to his demise.

yes, that was Arnold's plan....and make no doubt about it, it worked because the judges were in his pocket  :D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
The controversy of controversies.

The 1980 Mr Olympia contest staged in Sydney, Australia, remains by far the most controversial in the event's history. The contention centers on the participation of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had announced his retirement from competition in 1975 after winning six consecutive Mr. Olympia titles.
Seemingly only in Sydney to do commentary for CBS TV , Arnold stunned the bodybuilding world on the eve of the contest by declaring that he was returning to competition in pursuit of a seventh title.

Two days before the contest, Mike had that same " death's door feeling " which again confined him to bed for a whole day. By the morning of the contest, though, he had fully recovered. He was 225 pounds and more cut than he'd ever been. " I looked my best , but I didn't feel at my best.  It just didn't feel like a normal contest; no one was being their usual selves. There was a strain and tension in the air all the way though."

WHO TERMINATED WHOM!

That strain and tension came to an electrifying climax at the competitors meeting held the morning of the contest. Fifteen of the 16 athletes had signed a petition asking that the two weight classes be abolished and that the Olympia should be contested as one open class. The one athlete not in agreement was Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whatever the rights & wrongs , facts and misconceptions , theories and myths surrounded the 1980 Me. Olympia contest , in the interests of this narrative, it's important to understand that Mike Mentzer felt he was cheated in Sydney, and that sinister machinations were afoot. His belief is that certain forces , fueled by ignorance and sycophancy, combined to thrust an undeserving Arnold to first place and relegate him - perceived as owning the best physique in the contest - " ridiculous " fifth place.

This is how Mike recalls that fateful day. " There were maybe 50 people at the competitors meeting and as usual, Arnold wanted to be the center of attention. In every situation, he tries to be the standout, and on this occasion, he was the only athlete of the 16 in the contest who wanted to keep the two weight classes. " He said something to denigrate Samir Bannout that I thought was uncalled for. I passed on that, feeling Samir should have defended himself. As the debate progressed, there was a lot of arguing between Arnold and some of the guys. I wasn't really concerned one way or the other - I thought I could win anyway. Then Boyer Coe stood up and , as the gentlemen he is , said , " Why don't we let Arnold explain to us right here and now his exact reasons for wanted to have two weight classes? "

" Arnold barked , ' Boyer, lets talk like adults here. ' That really irked me , because Boyer made his plea with no hint of malice. In addition, this was the IFBB's event, but here was this big Prussian son of a bitch standing there acting like a Nazi and trying to walk all over us. " For some reason , that question pissed him off. He seemed like a guy out of control as he turned to face me, his upper lip curled around like a snarling animal. We were debating the issue of weight classes, but Arnold choose to snap at me. ' Mike Mentzer, we all know Zane beat you last year because you have a big stomach! '

Not for the first time in the history of bodybuilding, Joe Weider stepped in and defused the situation. He advised Arnold to accept the voices of the other 15. The debate ended as Arnold proclaimed, " I withdraw my objection. "

DECISION DOWN UNDER

" Throughout that meeting, Arnold had on a tight-knit weather that made him look skinny. I was curious to see what he looked like once he stripped down. When he did, I remember looking at him and thinking, Not only and I going to win this contest, but I'm going to beat Arnold Schwarzenegger as well!

" When I was called fifth, I was totally shocked. It was just a ridiculous placing, made more ridiculous by an out-of-shape Arnold winning. As for the other who finished ahead of me, I knew Frank Zane [ third ], due to an accident he had sustained four months earlier, wasn't as good as he had been the previous year. I mist say that Chris Dickerson [ second ] and Boyer Coe [ fourth ] were in phenomenal shape, particularly Chris. I felt he and I were the ones in absolute peak condition, and we should have been top two.

" The majority of observers at the 1980 Mr. Olympia, with the exception of the judging panel, didn't have Arnold in the top five. The crowd booed Arnold at the contest's conclusion, and there were a number of things that took place during the prejudging that perhaps should have provided an indication that as was not as it should have bee.

" Several of the judges were close friends of Arnold. Boyer Coe told me afterwards that he saw Reg Park, one of the judges, actually coaching Arnold from the official's table. In contrast, Bill Pearl had honorably removed himself from the judging panel, as he had spent some time training with Chris Dickerson.

" At times, the contest was like a circus. We had Franco Columbu- one of Arnold's weak-willed namby-pamy lackeys - coming onstage with a towel, a comb and oil, to go through a little act with Arnold at the expense of everybody else. I could quote other anomalies, but possibly the most pertinent is that CBS Sports flew half away around the world to tape the event and then never televised it. The word was that they were convinced it was a fix. " The record may show Arnold Schwarzenegger as the 1980 Mr. Olympia champion, but he wasn't the best bodybuilder onstage that day - not by a mile. "

In the immediate aftermath of the contest, several top names stated they would never compete again. They would later reverse their decisions and return to the contest dais. But even as he was announced fifth, Mike knew he would never compete again: " There was no way I was going to put myself though the same tortuous process again for a similar reward. At no point since 1980 have I been even sligthtly tempted to consider the possibility of competing. I don'tmiss it. "

Of all of its repercussions, it is difficult not to nominate Mike's premature retirement at 29 as being the major consequence of the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest. It effectively denied the sport of a view of the physique he could have built in future years.

Is this meltdown still justified after 28 years ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Although Mentzer was extremely intelligent, Arnold is a man who knows how to get what he wants.  Although Mentzer may have had a higher IQ (and this is debatable since we don't have any proof of either's IQ score) or at least conducted himself as an intellectual, Arnold knew how to achieve a desired result.  Arnold is a performer, manipulator, entertainer and an excellent speaker.  People are just drawn to him...as much of a gift as a high IQ.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »
as I predicted you would come to this thread under the name of, "oldman" and say that...damn im intelligent..... ::)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
Never 100 percent understood how Mentzer could just walk away from competing like that. He said that he never missed it, but ya gotta wonder if he ever thought of coming back.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »
Well, he never really walked away from the business. Only the competion itself. I think Mike was highly overated. Then again, so was Zane and many of the competitors from that era. I still say Bertil Fox should have placed SOOOOOOO much higher in the early 80's (the man weighed 260 pounds offseason). As well as Robby Robinson, Casey Viator and Tom Platz.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
Well, he never really walked away from the business. Only the competion itself. I think Mike was highly overated. Then again, so was Zane and many of the competitors from that era. I still say Bertil Fox should have placed SOOOOOOO much higher in the early 90's. As well as Robby Robinson and Tom Platz.

Agreed

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »

Agreed

Why do you think guys with size: a la Viator, Fox, Platz didn't place better back then? Why were the judges scared of size?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 11:14:09 PM »
  Mentzer looked like a fool and should have focused on the contest ahead.  He took the bait and let Arnold get into his head...the result...humiliation. 

I think you're guessing there, or would like to believe that.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
Is this meltdown still justified after 28 years ???

lol another exciting ND thread recycling anything to do with her white BB heroes. :-X

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
Why do you think guys with size: a la Viator, Fox, Platz didn't place better back then? Why were the judges scared of size?

Mentzer was not liked by Weider because he knocked the "Weider System" of training.  ::) That is a fact. Platz lost in 1981 cause it was fixed for Franco to win and after the bicep tear Tom never really came in ripped again. Casey was another guy who liked to claim that less sets was better than the Weider System. I'm not 100% sure about Bertil, but he did have a tendency to come in pretty thin compared to how he looked say 4 weeks out, but even so should have placed a lot higher and maybe even won a couple of shows.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:32 AM »

lol another exciting ND thread recycling anything to do with her white BB heroes. :-X

Another thread you can't stick to the topic of  ;) see fail for trying to hijack yet another thread .....anyway