Author Topic: “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”  (Read 9823 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
this thread shows how many ppl here actually have done manual labor, he is absolutely right there are jobs in america that the VAST VAST VAST majority of citizens would not do or could not do. Go work landscape go work with one of the mexican crews you see building a house. How these guys show up and do do that kinda work 5 days a week is beyond me. Given ive never picked lettuce and shoot it does sound a bit easier than some of the jobs ive done its still not gonna be a cake walk by any means. After a few days most and again MOST of the ppl in the citizens in this country would quit. Im telling you there are not enough citizens in this country to fill all the hard manual labor jobs...go try it for a day and you will have a new found respect for the ppl that do that kind of work.

If he had said that everyone in America smells like shit, you probably would have found an excuse for him on that as well.

But anyway, I worked landscaping and I do construction now. If someone paid me $50 an hour to landscape I would have ripped a boner through my pants. Hell, I don't know many drywallers that make over $35 an hour working for companies. The only ones that do are self emplyed, so $50/hr for either of those types of jobs is a blessing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
this thread shows how many ppl here actually have done manual labor, he is absolutely right there are jobs in america that the VAST VAST VAST majority of citizens would not do or could not do. Go work landscape go work with one of the mexican crews you see building a house. How these guys show up and do do that kinda work 5 days a week is beyond me. Given ive never picked lettuce and shoot it does sound a bit easier than some of the jobs ive done its still not gonna be a cake walk by any means. After a few days most and again MOST of the ppl that are citizens in this country would quit. Im telling you there are not enough willing citizens in this country to fill all the hard manual labor jobs...go try it for a day and you will have a new found respect for the ppl that do that kind of work.

i worked summer landscaping for a few years, every summer, in the florida sun.  We wore flannel and jeans and gloves and hats, drank a warm water gallon all day.  It sucked.  But it was $50 cash per day and at the time, it was well worth it.

picking lettuce has to be easier than cutting grass, picking up crap all day, and chopping down trees.  For $50 per HOUR, i'd be out there again, sure.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
If he had said that everyone in America smells like shit, you probably would have found an excuse for him on that as well. I worked landscaping and I do construction now. If someone paid me $50 an hour to landscape I would have ripped a boner through my pants. Hell, I don't know many drywallers that make over $35 an hour working for companies. The only ones that do are self emplyed, so $50/hr for either of those types of jobs is a blessing.
way to ignore the point of my post and his statement and that is there are jobs in this country that 99% of the citizens will not do. Im not big supporter of mccain you can look over the threads here and find that out he has his faults.

What I dont like is ppl coming on here with no real grounds for attack and starting threads and others mindlessly joining in

Do you use mexican immigrants or immigrants of any kind in your construction or when you were landscaping?

It was to make a point much like his "why not 100 yrs" comment not to be taken literally.

How many ppl do you know that you would say COULD and WOULD honestly do landscape and i dont mean directing i mean being the one that lays the sod being, carries the loaded down wheel barrow around, digs the holes, that moves the brick, plants the vegitation and all the other things that go with it in 100+ degree heat 5 days a week for a career?

I dont know many that could last more than a few days even if they where getting $15 an hour.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
this thread shows how many ppl here actually have done manual labor, he is absolutely right there are jobs in america that the VAST VAST VAST majority of citizens would not do or could not do. Go work landscape go work with one of the mexican crews you see building a house. How these guys show up and do do that kinda work 5 days a week is beyond me. Given ive never picked lettuce and shoot it does sound a bit easier than some of the jobs ive done its still not gonna be a cake walk by any means. After a few days most and again MOST of the ppl that are citizens in this country would quit. Im telling you there are not enough willing citizens in this country to fill all the hard manual labor jobs...go try it for a day and you will have a new found respect for the ppl that do that kind of work.
no, he's not right, you're just a moron who will excuse anything McCain says rather than own up to him making a massive bluder and showing his disconnect.  You're either full of shit or just as disconnected.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 08:20:51 PM »
i worked summer landscaping for a few years, every summer, in the florida sun.  We wore flannel and jeans and gloves and hats, drank a warm water gallon all day.  It sucked.  But it was $50 cash per day and at the time, it was well worth it.

picking lettuce has to be easier than cutting grass, picking up crap all day, and chopping down trees.  For $50 per HOUR, i'd be out there again, sure.
what you did sounds more like yard work than landscaping and I agree its all relative to each individual.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
no, he's not right, you're just a moron who will excuse anything McCain says rather than own up to him making a massive bluder and showing his disconnect.  You're either full of shit or just as disconnected.
your a fuking idiot do us all a favor have something constructive to say or stfu you never say anything of importance only chime in on others statements.

How long have you done manual labor before, LOL let me guess you mow your own yard so your qualified to speak on this subject right? LOL you have no clue

P.S. you never answered why you were voting for obama for the 5th time now

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

I see your point, however the only thing missing from that is the 100K per year.

If lettuce picking paid 100K per year, there would lines of people wanting to pick lettuce

The point is, while many in america think "Manual Labor" is the president of mexico, It really doesn't pay much money.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
If lettuce picking paid 100K per year, there would lines of people wanting to pick lettuce

Correct.

Mccain - seriously, here - doesn't have a strong grasp on numbers.

Not knowing gas prices, what lettuce pickers are paid, price of milk...

He's been an inherited millionaire for 30+ years now.  He doesn't carry money, I betcha.  Doesn't count it either.  His needs are met, period.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »
I'm bored and you bastards :D got me interested in lettuce picking haha

Salad Days in Yuma - great video

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
I see your point, however the only thing missing from that is the 100K per year.

The point is, while many in america think "Manual Labor" is the president of mexico, It really doesn't pay much money.
and i see yours but i think you missed mccains point it wasnt a statment that was meant to be literal only one to bring home a point and that is that the vast majority of citizen in the US would not and COULD not do the type of work that alot of mexican immigrants do 5 days a week. I made 100 bucks a day when i was doing landscaping and honestly i couldnt have it 5 days a week my I dont think that my body physically could take 5 days a week of that kind of work. It is back breaking work and in just for 240's sake i live in Houston, Tx it gets hotter than shit and with 100% humidity not many ppl can do that or would be willing to even try at $10 or $15 an hour they are a crucial part of our society whether ppl want to admit it or not.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »
You know I really HATE lettuce.

Not all Lettuce.  Just Ice berg.

It's f-ing nasty.

If you take some lettuce and put it in a plastic bag and set it out in the hot sun it will turn into something like snot.

So really, lettuce is potential snot.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
and i see yours but i think you missed mccains point it wasnt a statment that was meant to be literal only one to bring home a point and that is that the vast majority of citizen in the US would not and COULD not do the type of work that alot of mexican immigrants do 5 days a week. I made 100 bucks a day when i was doing landscaping and honestly i couldnt have it 5 days a week my I dont think that my body physically could take 5 days a week of that kind of work. It is back breaking work and in just for 240's sake i live in Houston, Tx it gets hotter than shit and with 100% humidity not many ppl can do that or would be willing to even try at $10 or $15 an hour they are a crucial part of our society whether ppl want to admit it or not.

If that's the case, and it sounds like it was concerning McCain's point.  Not only is he out of touch with how many houses he owns, he's out of touch with what good money for middle class americans is.

Not a very good thing.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
You know I really HATE lettuce.

Not all Lettuce.  Just Ice berg.

It's f-ing nasty.

If you take some lettuce and put it in a plastic bag and set it out in the hot sun it will turn into something like snot.

So really, lettuce is potential snot.

I dont mind iceburg i actually like it b/c its got some crunch to it

but now everytime i see the green leafy i think its spinich type of lettuce i will think of snot, thanks for that.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »
I dont mind iceburg i actually like it b/c its got some crunch to it

but now everytime i see the green leafy i think its spinich type of lettuce i will think of snot, thanks for that.

hhehehehe   ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »
If that's the case, and it sounds like it was concerning McCain's point.  Not only is he out of touch with how many houses he owns, he's out of touch with what good money for middle class americans is.

Not a very good thing.
LOL you heard him say "not just one day, the entire season" LOL honestly i could imagine picking lettuce and it may sound easy but after 2 hours or so i bet your back would be wrecked so doing that for 10-12 hours a day for say 2 or 3 months i have no idea how long a season is for lettuce. I dont think many ppl could make it the entire season although im sure many would try.

Heres another thing for you guys to think of what would you do after the season is over? You wouldnt have moved to this po dunk town just for 3 months and then not to have work. You probably would have just been staying in a motel or sleeping in your car. People are thinking this is a year round gig but its not these ppl who do that work probably have to pack up and hit the road to find more work. When i did landscape the mexican guys that worked with me where always asking about other jobs and they never even questioned if the job was in another town or even state if there was work they took it.

Most ppl here would not quit there jobs and move to a po dunk town to do manual labor 10-12 hours day for 3 months even if it meant 30K...If you say you would then i expect to see you on the next season of "the deadlist catch"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »
Most ppl here would not quit there jobs and move to a po dunk town to do manual labor 10-12 hours day for 3 months even if it meant 30K

MANY PEOPLE would go there for $100,000 per year, which is what $50 per hour at 40 hours per week equals.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
any of you watch the video I posted

it`s about a white guy working in the lettuce fields with Mexicans

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »

I call bullshit.  I heard from a war hero that “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”

If you disagree, you hate America.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
I call bullshit.  I heard from a war hero that “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”

If you disagree, you hate America.

:D lol

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »
LOL you heard him say "not just one day, the entire season" LOL honestly i could imagine picking lettuce and it may sound easy but after 2 hours or so i bet your back would be wrecked so doing that for 10-12 hours a day for say 2 or 3 months i have no idea how long a season is for lettuce. I dont think many ppl could make it the entire season although im sure many would try.

Heres another thing for you guys to think of what would you do after the season is over? You wouldnt have moved to this po dunk town just for 3 months and then not to have work. You probably would have just been staying in a motel or sleeping in your car. People are thinking this is a year round gig but its not these ppl who do that work probably have to pack up and hit the road to find more work. When i did landscape the mexican guys that worked with me where always asking about other jobs and they never even questioned if the job was in another town or even state if there was work they took it.

Most ppl here would not quit there jobs and move to a po dunk town to do manual labor 10-12 hours day for 3 months even if it meant 30K...If you say you would then i expect to see you on the next season of "the deadlist catch"

Actually, in many places 30k is a good deal for 3 months of work.  They can either take the rest of the year off or work an easy job.  

I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of people who'd easily take to picking lettuce for 3 months at $50 bucks and hour and then chill at a minimum wage job at a retail outlet for the christmas season plus some.  They could earn 50k a year.  50k a year for not working 3-4 months a year in a place like west texas would be living pretty good.  heck, on 50k a year in Dallas you can qualify and get a decent new home for 130k.

If John McCain would have said $20 bucks an hour it would have made sense.  But you've got to be "in touch" to figure out that out.   ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »
MANY PEOPLE would go there for $100,000 per year, which is what $50 per hour at 40 hours per week equals.
for a season he said FOR A SEASON that doesnt equal 100k and the idea that you would be working 40 hour weeks is laughable try 50 or 60 hour weeks or manual labor.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
for a season he said FOR A SEASON that doesnt equal 100k and the idea that you would be working 40 hour weeks is laughable try 50 or 60 hour weeks or manual labor.

Fair enough.

Three months x 60 hour work week x $50 per hour...

That's $36,000 for 3 months of labor.

Guess what... MOST people would consider that.  Work your ass off for 3 months, then vacation for 9?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »

Actually, in many places 30k is a good deal for 3 months of work.  They can either take the rest of the year off or work an easy job.  

I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of people who'd easily take to picking lettuce for 3 months at $50 bucks and hour and then chill at a minimum wage job at a retail outlet for the christmas season plus some.  They could earn 50k a year.  50k a year for not working 3-4 months a year in a place like west texas would be living pretty good.  heck, on 50k a year in Dallas you can qualify and get a decent new home for 130k.

If John McCain would have said $20 bucks an hour it would have made sense.  But you've got to be "in touch" to figure out that out.   ;)
ya but how many lettuce fields are there around dallas?

You would have to relocate and live in a motel, car, trailer for 3 months again most ppl wouldnt do this.

Why arent all these ppl that would line up to do this running to alaska or canada during the crabbing season up there? those ppl pull in more than 30k for 3 months of work.

I agree 50 wasnt the best number but again your missing the point and the point is that there are jobs and not just a few but many jobs in america that us citizens would not or could not do.

you live in Dallas OZMO?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »
Fair enough.

Three months x 60 hour work week x $50 per hour...

That's $36,000 for 3 months of labor.

Guess what... MOST people would consider that.  Work your ass off for 3 months, then vacation for 9?
well go to canada or alaska for crab season then they get more than that...not a huge line up there for that.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »

I've done far worse jobs when I was young.  I also worked the fields in Yuma for a while, 2nd job for some extra cash.  McCain's statements show how out of touch he is.  The stipulations he put on it, saying Americans couldn't do the job, even being paid 50 bucks an hours.  WOW. There really is no excusing what he said imo.