Author Topic: “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”  (Read 9829 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: “Americans Won’t Pick Lettuce for $50/hr”
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »
"Because you CAN'T do it, my friend".

Not "wont'.

Can't.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »
well go to canada or alaska for crab season then they get more than that...not a huge line up there for that.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:28 PM »
There is a lot of leftist faggotry on this thread tonight.

These mexicans do what they do because they can't do anything else. They lack the intelligence and motivation to do anything greater then manual labor. Anybody who says otherwise has obviously not been around many.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
There is a lot of leftist faggotry on this thread tonight.

These mexicans do what they do because they can't do anything else. They lack the intelligence and motivation to do anything greater then manual labor. Anybody who says otherwise has obviously not been around many.

mccain said YOU CAN'T DO IT.

he told working americans they can't handle the work.  but mexicans can?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »
mccain said YOU CAN'T DO IT.

he told working americans they can't handle the work.  but mexicans can?

McCain has openly supported amnesty for these illegals. It's all a bi-partisan ploy to aid the invading masses at the expense of out treasury and cultural base.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
"Because you CAN'T do it, my friend".

Not "wont'.

Can't.

LOL, yup, can't... I did it back in 92-93 as a second job.  It was extremely hot, but nowhere near the worst job out there.  It was something like 7.50 an hour back then.  These guys are working for 8.00 something now... When McCain was called out by workers who said Americans would do the work if the pay was better, look at what happened to the pay from then to now lol...  The corporations have done a number on us for sure.  Plus he's so full of shit.  Sure, working the fields is mostly filled with mexican labor, but back then, most of the construction work was filled with American workers, now most of the construction labor has been displaced with mexican labor.  The companies filling their crews with mexican labor can undercut the other company's bid and then the company that finds itself in a place losing more and more contracts faces a choice, layoff American workers and higher cheep mexican labor or go under.  So then you have Americans saying, I won't do that job for that pay.  But they were doing those jobs before.  So these guys like McCain are full of shit and just not giving a true picture of what happens and why.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »
LOL, yup, can't... I did it back in 92-93 as a second job.  It was extremely hot, but nowhere near the worst job out there.  It was something like 7.50 an hour back then.  These guys are working for 8.00 something now... When McCain was called out by workers who said Americans would do the work if the pay was better, look at what happened to the pay from then to now lol...  The corporations have done a number on us for sure.  Plus he's so full of shit.  Sure, working the fields is mostly filled with mexican labor, but back then, most of the construction work was filled with American workers, now most of the construction labor has been displaced with mexican labor.  The companies filling their crews with mexican labor can undercut the other company's bid and then the company that finds itself in a place losing more and more contracts faces a choice, layoff American workers and higher cheep mexican labor or go under.  So then you have Americans saying, I won't do that job for that pay.  But they were doing those jobs before.  So these guys like McCain are full of shit and just not giving a true picture of what happens and why.

And just how in the fuuck is that McCains fault?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »

his fault is ignorance.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »
you obviously didn't read what I said.  try again.  I wasn't blaming McCain for it, I was pointing out that McCain doesn't have a clue.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
it was to illustrate a point!!!

do you ppl disagree that there are jobs in this country that the VAST majority of US citizens will not do?

I agree with Hugos point about what happend in the manual labor scenario...heres the problem are you going to support the companies that dont use immigrant workers? No your not b/c that would mean higher prices for you. I love how everyone complains about illegal immigrants taking jobs from americans yet im sure they didnt tell the builder of their house not to use immigrants. Im sure many of the posters on this forum have ppl who mow their yards and employ immigrants everyone complains but nobody does anything about it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »
it was to illustrate a point!!!

do you ppl disagree that there are jobs in this country that the VAST majority of US citizens will not do?

I agree with Hugos point about what happend in the manual labor scenario...heres the problem are you going to support the companies that dont use immigrant workers? No your not b/c that would mean higher prices for you. I love how everyone complains about illegal immigrants taking jobs from americans yet im sure they didnt tell the builder of their house not to use immigrants. Im sure many of the posters on this forum have ppl who mow their yards and employ immigrants everyone complains but nobody does anything about it.
but the kind of people who are in a place to do something about it are Senators ;)  Of course people are going to go with the cheaper bid, I don't think the full onus should be placed on the individual.  There are rules to the game we all play here in America and government writes the game rules that we play by.  The onus is primarily on them to write fair rules.  As I see it now, it's a disgusting failure.  So when we have a senator who points the blame at the American worker as McCain did, that's just not fair whatsoever knowing what happens and why and who's ultimate responsibility it is.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »
way to ignore the point of my post and his statement and that is there are jobs in this country that 99% of the citizens will not do.

No doubt there are jobs that 99% of Americans won't do, ...however, picking lettuce at $50/hr isn't one of them.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
but the kind of people who are in a place to do something about it are Senators ;)  Of course people are going to go with the cheaper bid, I don't think the full onus should be placed on the individual.  There are rules to the game we all play here in America and government writes the game rules that we play by.  The onus is primarily on them to write fair rules.  As I see it now, it's a disgusting failure.  So when we have a senator who points the blame at the American worker as McCain did, that's just not fair whatsoever knowing what happens and why and who's ultimate responsibility it is.
you didnt answer my question do you disagree that there are jobs in this country that the vast majority of US citizens would not do?

I completely agree but you probably supported obamas make sure your tires are properly inflated movement as well, would it work ya sure would is it plausable not really. All you can really control is what you do as an individual if everybody did it the impact would be profound same as obamas tire inflation.

Illegal immigrant workers really are an integral part of the backbone of this nation, probably close to 100% of the structures built in this country have probably been worked on in some form or another by illegal immigrants.

If illegal immigrant work was no longer available everybody would shit a brick prices would rise and expansion/construction and overall manual labor would suffer.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »
No doubt there are jobs that 99% of Americans won't do, ...however, picking lettuce at $50/hr isn't one of them.
LOL jag you live in canada what do those guys who work on the crab ships make for what 2-3 months of work?

How long is the line for those jobs?

Again it was to illustrate a point and the point is very valid.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
you didnt answer my question do you disagree that there are jobs in this country that the vast majority of US citizens would not do?

I completely agree but you probably supported obamas make sure your tires are properly inflated movement as well, would it work ya sure would is it plausable not really. All you can really control is what you do as an individual if everybody did it the impact would be profound same as obamas tire inflation.

Illegal immigrant workers really are an integral part of the backbone of this nation, probably close to 100% of the structures built in this country have probably been worked on in some form or another by illegal immigrants.

If illegal immigrant work was no longer available everybody would shit a brick prices would rise and expansion/construction and overall manual labor would suffer.
My answer to your question is very clearly contained in the post I made that you said you agreed with. Also, I never said there shouldn't be a place for some guest workers.  There has been a place for them long before the current situation got out of hand.  And it is out of hand and McCain's mode was to blame the worker directly implying they couldn't do hard labor even for 50 bucks an hour.  He is clearly on the extreme of the issue siding with industy against the American worker.  Not cool.

Oh yea, no fucking idea why you brought up the tire thing, but I've known about tire inflation and MPG since I was 16.  Anybody with half a brain should know that.  Obama is right about that and you're an idiot if you think not.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
LOL jag you live in canada what do those guys who work on the crab ships make for what 2-3 months of work?

Crabs?  :o

Sorry hun, ...I don't know anything about crabs.

People will do whatever they have to to make ends meet.
As in any society, those with more options will exercise those options.
When it comes to back breaking manual labour, ...or seemingly impossible jobs,
...the more motivated one is, the more willng they are to do it... PERIOD!
It has to do with a mentality, ...not a nationality.

Some societies have a tendency to ghettoize, stigmatize,and categorize various jobs towards gender and ethnicity more so than others, ...still, it really all boils down to personal motivation.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2008, 11:17:06 PM »
Crabs?  :o

Sorry hun, ...I don't know anything about crabs.

People will do whatever they have to to make ends meet.
As in any society, those with more options will exercise those options.
When it comes to back breaking manual labour, ...or seemingly impossible jobs,
...the more motivated one is, the more willng they are to do it... PERIOD!
It has to do with a mentality, ...not a nationality.

Some societies have a tendency to ghettoize, stigmatize,and categorize various jobs towards gender and ethnicity more so than others, ...still, it really all boils down to personal motivation.
LOL i never said anything about nationality or ghettoizing or stigmatizing manual labor, Im half japanese and half white and ive done it many times since i was 15 to make ends meet.

My point was that alot of ppl on this thread are saying that if that was the case then there would be huge lines but this just isnt the case. If it was there would be huge lines for the jobs on the crab ships that work for what 2 or 3 months out of the year and pull in much more than a person would if the did this for 2 or 3 months even at 50 an hour but there arent huge lines for that job b/c there are jobs that most ppl just wont do.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2008, 11:31:12 PM »
LOL i never said anything about nationality or ghettoizing or stigmatizing manual labor, Im half japanese and half white and ive done it many times since i was 15 to make ends meet.

My point was that alot of ppl on this thread are saying that if that was the case then there would be huge lines but this just isnt the case. If it was there would be huge lines for the jobs on the crab ships that work for what 2 or 3 months out of the year and pull in much more than a person would if the did this for 2 or 3 months even at 50 an hour but there arent huge lines for that job b/c there are jobs that most ppl just wont do.

Crabbing is the most deadly job in the world... of course it's not going to get a lot of people.

Self preservation dictates to not take a job THAT dangerous.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »

I haven't seen any Mexicans  on an Alaskan crab boat. Lazy pricks.  :)

If McCain hadn't mentioned $50/hr that would be one thing but he just didn't know when to shut up.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »

She never said you did, she makes a great point.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
ya but how many lettuce fields are there around dallas?

You would have to relocate and live in a motel, car, trailer for 3 months again most ppl wouldnt do this.

Why arent all these ppl that would line up to do this running to alaska or canada during the crabbing season up there? those ppl pull in more than 30k for 3 months of work.

I agree 50 wasnt the best number but again your missing the point and the point is that there are jobs and not just a few but many jobs in america that us citizens would not or could not do.

you live in Dallas OZMO?

I do get the point.  But his number is wrong ands shows he out of touch.  And there is agriculture around the Dallas Area right?  It may not be lettuce, but it could be some other vegetable that needs a picking.   I've spent about 2 weeks total in Dallas in 2006 on business and a friend of mine who's a real-estate investor owns about 10 houses there because he says he easily gets positive cash flow form the mortgage/rent difference.   I live in N. California. 

I don't believe people could not or would not do them.  I believe they don't get paid enough and that's why you have a sub culture of Mexicans who will work for minimum wage or less.  Many of them are illegal immigrants.  And because they don't get paid much we don't pay much for the produce.

I guarantee you if they paid $50 per hour there would be droves of white & black americans working those fields.  Including college kids.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13:38 AM »
I guarantee you if they paid $50 per hour there would be droves of white & black americans working those fields.  Including college kids.

Wouldn't matter.  They CAN'T do it.  A war hero said so.  He spent 5 years in the hanoi hilton.  He said so on Leno.

Trust me, he knows more about it than you do.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:30 AM »
Wouldn't matter.  They CAN'T do it.  A war hero said so.  He spent 5 years in the hanoi hilton.  He said so on Leno.

Trust me, he knows more about it than you do.

Yeah that pathetic pandering cheating whore.   Now he's created, as you say, the "POW" Card.   what a fvck head.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
Ozmo you live in Berkley, dontcha?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
I've done far worse jobs when I was young.  I also worked the fields in Yuma for a while, 2nd job for some extra cash.  McCain's statements show how out of touch he is.  The stipulations he put on it, saying Americans couldn't do the job, even being paid 50 bucks an hours.  WOW. There really is no excusing what he said imo.

you ever heard of curly culp...he is my great uncle...from yuma