Author Topic: a gram of protein per pound of body weight? i dont think so...  (Read 41452 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
a gram of protein per pound of body weight? i dont think so...
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
i am 6'4 and weigh 215 pounds. am i seriously supposed to consume 215 grams of protein every day? seems like overkill to me. that's 1075 calories from protein alone, never mind carbs and fats. and then the fact that when your body breaks down protein, ammonia is a byproduct, it just seems like too much for your kidneys. also, im a natty, but do people on roids even need this amount? i doubt it. ive seen this 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight given on getbig so many times. it's very misleading, and personally i think its completely wrong. any thoughts on this??

laurion

• Getbig III
Re: a gram of protein per pound of body weight? i dont think so...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
I've always heard consume over what you weigh so if you're 200 lbs. eat 300 grams that being said if I were gonna measure my protein I would try to eat for my goal weight so I weigh 215 now I would try and consume 220 or 225 grams, dunno if it really matters tho I've seen some starving ass indigenous peoples get some good size on next to nothing food and great genetics aside I think you'll grow over time if you just eat good foods and challenge your muscles.  But I don't really measure my food, when I'm cutting I just eat portions of chicken, steak, fish, tuna (orange chicken from the mall, you know the basics) good carbs and anything green and when I'm bulking well ..... anything goes.  And by the way F&@K protein powder if you haven't heard it's a waste of time and money.

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
I would say more protein is important if you are dieting to perserve muscle mass at a restricted calorie diet
and carbs and fat are more important if trying to add size.

But I always consume alot of protein and use "supps" and have regular blood work done and
have yet to have any ill effects...lots of water to keep the kids clean.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »
200-300 isn't really that much if you have 5-6 meals a day wiht supplementation and even 200-250 with 4 solid meals. I'm with iron dawg on his statement as well. Protien is always important..but it's CRUCIAL on a calorie restricted diet.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
i am 6'4 and weigh 215 pounds. am i seriously supposed to consume 215 grams of protein every day? seems like overkill to me. that's 1075 calories from protein alone, never mind carbs and fats. and then the fact that when your body breaks down protein, ammonia is a byproduct, it just seems like too much for your kidneys. also, im a natty, but do people on roids even need this amount? i doubt it. ive seen this 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight given on getbig so many times. it's very misleading, and personally i think its completely wrong. any thoughts on this??
Where did you learn to count?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
Eat the amount that equals your LEAN bodyweight,then eat a bit more!!

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:38:47 AM »
any thoughts on this??

More debunked myths in a single post then I have seen in a long time.  ::) See:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articledetails.php?acatid=3&aid=113

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
i am 6'4 and weigh 215 pounds. am i seriously supposed to consume 215 grams of protein every day? seems like overkill to me.   if your a sedentary individual, then your supposed to consume 1 gram per pound lean body weight. if your a bodybuilder, then even more than that. most guys who take bodybuilding seriously will try to get 2 grams per pound total bodyweight(not lean bodyweight).

that's 1075 calories from protein alone, never mind carbs and fats. and then the fact that when your body breaks down protein, ammonia is a byproduct, it just seems like too much for your kidneys. healthy kidneys are nto damaged by protein intake. people with pre existing kidney problems should limit protein intake. but protein intake with healthy kidneys will NOT cause kidney problems.

also, im a natty, but do people on roids even need this amount? i doubt it.
people on steroids NEED less protein than naturals, because their bodys have much less protein breakdown and their protein recycling is alot more effecient as well as lilysis is increased because gluconeogensis is decreased.

ive seen this 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight given on getbig so many times. it's very misleading, and personally i think its completely wrong. any thoughts on this??my thoughts = you are misinformed, but hopefully youll pay attention and beccome correctly .informed

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »

How is it misleading? At 6'4, 215 lbs, 215 grams of protein (assuming that you're in decent shape) would be a BARE minimum. And, this whole issue of your being natural isn't really a factor. You need the higher protein, if you want substantial gains in size and strength. It took me over 300 grams of protein, back in college, just to GET TO 200 lbs (at 5'9"). And, all I could afford was weight gainer and milk & egg protein powder.

And as another poster stated, 215 grams of protein isn't that hard to consume. Heck, you can get half of that from two protein/weight-gainer shakes, with the remainder, easily obtained from regular food.

You have to ask yourself, are you really all that concerned about supposed kidney damage and what not, or is it a simple case of your simply not wanting to eat/drink that much food?

A certain cop-turned-multi-time-Olympia-winner has a saying: "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder; but don't nobody want to lift no heavy-@$$ weight". I'd say a similar thing applies to eating. They don't want to eat no "heavy-@$$" food, either (i.e. they don't want to consume eat or drink the quality and quantity of calories and nutrients, necessary to get big).

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »
I think it also has to do with what you are striving for the just everyday healthy look then no you wouldn't need to consume as
much protein why waste your time...

but if you are the serious mass builder or competitor then yes more protein is better for building and recovery.

J Grey

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
the RDA for a weight lifter is 0.8 times KG of bodyweight
so if you're 200 pounds,, 80 grams of protein is enough for you to gain muscle

don't listen to all the protein pushers, most the people on this site shove people down your throat because
they supplement companies have shoved it down their throat, it is absolutely unnecessary, when you lift weights
your body becomes more efficient in using protein, infact you don't even need more than 100 grams
if all you do is lift weights.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
the RDA for a weight lifter is 0.8 times KG of bodyweight
so if you're 200 pounds,, 80 grams of protein is enough for you to gain muscle

don't listen to all the protein pushers, most the people on this site shove people down your throat because
they supplement companies have shoved it down their throat,
it is absolutely unnecessary, when you lift weights
your body becomes more efficient in using protein, infact you don't even need more than 100 grams
if all you do is lift weights.

Well that parts true anyway, but I wouldn't call protein unnecessary just supping it.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
hahahaahaa, you're complaining about eating 200 grams of protein a day? that's barely 2 pounds of meat over the course of a whole day, your appetite must be terrible.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »
your appetite must be terrible.

As opposed to a certain someone else.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »

As opposed to a certain someone else.
shit man i can't understand how some of you guys eat like fuccking birds and lift at the same time, shit makes me laugh complaining about eating 200 grams of protein, you should be aiming for twice that much.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
shit man i can't understand how some of you guys eat like fuccking birds and lift at the same time, shit makes me laugh complaining about eating 200 grams of protein, you should be aiming for twice that much.

As long as a McDonalds = available, Debussey = happy.

J Grey

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »

like I said on the other thread, you're a permabulker and probably obese, let me ask you, when people see you do they whisper "oooh look at him, he must workout" or do they whisper "that fatass should lose some fat" I'm going to bet my left nut that they say you're fat.

J Grey

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
Well that parts true anyway, but I wouldn't call protein unnecessary just supping it.

I never said it was unnecessary, I said that excessive protein was unnecessary, you have people on here eating 500 grams a day
it's stupid.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
I never said it was unnecessary, I said that excessive protein was unnecessary, you have people on here eating 500 grams a day
it's stupid.
no, your stupid. the rda is rediculous. it doesnt even cover the base protein turnover in sedentary individuals. rda isnt even minimum for HEALTHY DIET. moron. shut your mouth.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
^x2

J Grey

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
no, your stupid. the rda is rediculous. it doesnt even cover the base protein turnover in sedentary individuals. rda isnt even minimum for HEALTHY DIET. moron. shut your mouth.

this is the guy I was talking about, here he comes pushing his 500 grams of protein a day  :D  ::)
Have you actually ever tried a diet below 400 grams? oh no, too scared of losing muscle mass?
you're juiced to the gills, the body of people on steroids can use more protein, naturals don't need that much anyways
didn't Lee Haney only get 200 grams of protein a day? and you get like 500 grams, how many Mr. Olympia's have you won
you piece of shit?

Maximum Daily Protein Requirement: US RDA recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day. The UK Department of Health and Social Security is approximately the same.

Protein Needs for Athletes

Protein needs for people performing endurance training are about 1 to 1.2 g per kilo per day. For people performing resistance training or weight lifting, the protein RDA is generally adequate. This is because resistance training builds muscle and protein is used more efficiently.

Most people meet their daily protein requirements by many times over. In addition there is a misconception that a high protein diet is helpful for training. High protein diets do not help improve muscle strength or aid in training. In fact, high protein diets can be harmful to your health. There is far more risk to your health from high protein diet than from low protein diet.

Proteins have a high amount of nitrogen. When nitrogen is broken down in the liver it creates ammonia. Ammonia is poisonous. The increased level of ammonia in the body is harmful to cells and may decrease atheletic performance.
Stress on kidneys occurs when more than 2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day is consumed.
High levels of protein intake require increased amount of vitamin B6. It is possible to become deficient in vitamin B6 while using a high protein diet.
Calcium loss, which leads to osteoporosis, occurs with high levels of protein intake.
The best thing to do is balance protein intake in the proper ration with carbohydrates and fats. The ratio of carbs-fat-protein varies from study to study but fits withing the following guidelines

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
you dont even know what protein turnover is, do you?

healthy intake of protein for sedentary individuals = 1 g per pound of lean bodyweight. optimal protein intake for building muscle at fastest possible rate = 2 gram per pound total bodyweight.   

and steroid users need less protein, not more.  :-*

J Grey

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
you dont even know what protein turnover is, do you?

healthy intake of protein for sedentary individuals = 1 g per pound of lean bodyweight. optimal protein intake for building muscle at fastest possible rate = 2 gram per pound total bodyweight.   

and steroid users need less protein, not more.  :-*

I would like to see a study where it says
excess protein (more than required) = excess muscle growth

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
that guy in the video is dumb.. i didnt even watch them, honestly..i saw somebody post a video from him in the positive board ad the guy is just rediculously retarded about nutrition..

and i didnt say you should eat EXCESS...i said you should eat 1 gram per pound lean body weight for health, and 2 grams total body weight for fastest possible mucle growth..and that is not excess intake that is sufficent intake..  :-*

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
1gram per pound is about the limit for high intensity athletics.