Author Topic: Migs or anyone - Q about baking  (Read 924 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Migs or anyone - Q about baking
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
Every cookie these days tastes WAY TOO sweet.

Is there a basic rule of thumb of how much the sugar can be reduced before the baking and texture is compromised?
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Migs or anyone - Q about baking
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
it really depends on the type of cookie you are trying to make.  Also it can depend on the sugar to fat ratio.  Also to an extent the altitude in which you are baking.  Depending on the type of cookie, i would start toying with around the 15% mark and go from there.  You will see differences with the texture of the batter while mixing it (too loose, runny etc).  Also consider the type of liquid you are using.  If it's dairy, try almond or rice milk.  They have a natural sweetness to them, however using them will change the flavor and since the fat content is different can/will change overall mouth feel.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:17 AM »
I always use salted butter instead of the usually called for unsalted.  Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:14:12 AM »
mostly taste.  again depends on the recipe.  A god quality unsalted butter is best.  Helps control the flavor.  If you use salted butter, then i would reduce slightly any added salt the recipe calls for.