Author Topic: overtraining  (Read 12858 times)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
overtraining
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:31:58 AM »
need to be more subjective on this

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Re: overtraining
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
some say weight training should not be more than 3 days a week, too much volume is bad,only this many sets thats it, HIT is the only way out !but what about giant sets??!! which has quite variety of excercises and number of sets to trigger muscle growth, personally found good,
what are your views?can this type of protocol can lead to over training for naturals?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
i dont think overtraining is that common... mostly for those who hit the weights really hard and go to failure all the time or even beyond failure by negatives etc without enough rest over a long period of time... doesnt sound like you or does it?

Z

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:43 AM »
If ya wake up everyday with no hard on and you feel like sleeping longer and longer all the time then yes, you may be overtraining. Generally speaking for me I have done the 5 days a week 4 days and 3 days and I know now that all I need is 3 days. Every session is intense my body just has it in store and ready. My experience. 8)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:42 AM »
Overtraining exists, but i think for the most part it is more a case of inadequate diet/nourishment and lack of sleep/recovery.

That being said, i don't think giant sets are an optimal way for naturals to train...
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:07 AM »
I think getting enough sleep is the hardest part of bodybuilding.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:51 AM »
I think getting enough sleep is the hardest part of bodybuilding.

Well if you are busy or a shift worker then yes, it would be.

For the most part, the actual training and nutrition side of bb'ing is pretty straight forward. We all just seem to over analyse and overcomplicate everything....
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
Well if you are busy or a shift worker then yes, it would be.

For the most part, the actual training and nutrition side of bb'ing is pretty straight forward. We all just seem to over analyse and overcomplicate everything....

Even when I'm not busy I seem to waste a lot of time that I should be sleeping, shit needs to change.

Also true about training and nutrition being simpler than people make it out to be.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:33:17 AM »
Even when I'm not busy I seem to waste a lot of time that I should be sleeping, shit needs to change.

Also true about training and nutrition being simpler than people make it out to be.

True.

When I'm working/going to tafe i get into a good rhythm and go to bed at like 9.30 pm and get up about 6am.

Now I've got some free time on my hands, next thing i know I'm going to bed at 1-2 am and sleeping in. I hate getting up late. Seems like I've wasted heaps of the day, which results in me staying up later into the night..... :-\
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:12 AM »
True.

When I'm working/going to tafe i get into a good rhythm and go to bed at like 9.30 pm and get up about 6am.

Now I've got some free time on my hands, next thing i know I'm going to bed at 1-2 am and sleeping in. I hate getting up late. Seems like I've wasted heaps of the day, which results in me staying up later into the night..... :-\

haha yeah mate exactly same situation for me too.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:43:22 AM »
some say weight training should not be more than 3 days a week, too much volume is bad,only this many sets thats it, HIT is the only way out !but what about giant sets??!! which has quite variety of excercises and number of sets to trigger muscle growth, personally found good,
what are your views?can this type of protocol can lead to over training for naturals?

As to Giant sets, i am natural and have trained them continuously 5 days a week for over a year WITHOUT stagnating one moment.

Overtraining exists, but i think for the most part it is more a case of inadequate diet/nourishment and lack of sleep/recovery.

That being said, i don't think giant sets are an optimal way for naturals to train...

So you have personal experience or just presume?

Giant sets are a great way to train for naturals, just follow Milos' during workout supplementation tips as well (glucose and BCAA at least), eat and sleep enough.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:44:18 AM »
True.

true.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »
it does give yyou flu, sometimes, my personal experience :-\

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
overtraining for the most part is not a reality for most trainers.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:16:24 AM »
Most people think they train hard but in reality are merely scratching the surface.

Eat better,sleep better,and be intense in the gym.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:13 AM »
i dont think overtraining is that common... mostly for those who hit the weights really hard and go to failure all the time or even beyond failure by negatives etc without enough rest over a long period of time... doesnt sound like you or does it?

Overtraining IS VERY FUCKING COMMON!  That's why most dudes can't make shit gains without turning to steroids.  They train way too long when they go to the gym.  They can't get over this mental roadblock that their muslces will shrink if they take an extray day or two off.  But you look like an underwear model for NAMBLA so you probably overtrain as well. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:53 AM »
overtraining for the most part is not a reality for most trainers.

Says the 150lb teenage twink that had to jump on steroids to put on any amount of decent muscle. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:28 AM »
Most people think they train hard but in reality are merely scratching the surface.

Eat better,sleep better,and be intense in the gym.

Intensity can ruin people's ability to recover.  You can either be intense for short brief workouts or less intense for longer workouts.  Most of the morons in the gym try to be intense for 3 hours.  You can't sprint a marathon.  Same thing with training for muscle. 

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 03:48:54 AM »
99% of people train half-assed. I claim to train pretty intense, but there are days when i realize, that i could still go further and more intense. Most people know shit about nutrition and recovery, thats the point.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 04:01:10 AM »
my opinion is:

overtraining does exist.

giant sets WILL burn you out and cause you to overtrain - especially naturals, but even gear users although not as common.

if dk hasn't yet stalled on giant sets, its because he's either on gear, the weights are too light, or he has not been using progressive resistance.

good nutrition, plenty of rest, and a level of volume that is not too high will help stave it off, but not for ever, evetually if you are increasing the weight you will burn out.

oh and steroids will help too.

also i feel general fitness level plays a big big part in keeping overtraining at bay, by that i mean cardiovascular fitness.
175lbs by 31st July

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 04:12:43 AM »
Overtraining is pretty common IMO.

Basically because we don't get instant results from training.

Ie, if we feel awesome when coming into the gym for a training session, and hits some great numbers in the benchpress, that won't translate into us being stronger the next few hours.

It will take a week or two before all the gains from that session comes.

It sounds pretty basic, but the delay makes it very easy to add a few more sets than what we usually do.

And to perhaps go back into the gym one or two days earlier to hit benchpress again, earlier than originally planned.

And with weights bigger than orginally - planned.

I just think that in general, what most of us lack is a long time perspective on our training.

If we're being honest, how many of us know the weekly amount of lbs lifted, and whether or not it's more than one year ago?

Overtraining often happens IMO when things are going fcuking great and lifts are flying up.

Then we will keep lifting heavier and perhaps do a few more sets. Then a couple of weeks later we become overtrained.

However, I think training volume has to be periodized for it to be most effective.

Ie, for a few weeks a real intense and high volume could be used. Followed by something similar to Mentzer's HD for a few weeks, followed by yet again some higher volume training.

As empty as paradise

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 06:02:42 AM »
to recover from "real overtraining" itīs not easy, it takes severeal weeks/months,

what most people are talking about isnīt overtraining itīs "over-working/underresting/underfeeding/undersleeping" (just the optimal Bodybuilding-lifestyle). In that case the problem can go away just in a few days, "be out of the gym for 4-6 days, take your sleep, eat good" and new progress will follow.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
Says the 150lb teenage twink that had to jump on steroids to put on any amount of decent muscle. 
me natural 17 years old 180 lbs

:-*

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »

If we're being honest, how many of us know the weekly amount of lbs lifted, and whether or not it's more than one year ago?

Overtraining often happens IMO when things are going fcuking great and lifts are flying up.

first sentence- "the muscle doesnt know how much lbs its lifting, it only knows how many lbs it FEELS liek its lifting"<-- for bodybuilding this is very true and weight lifted doesnt mean = muscle gained.

second sentence -  if over traiing is occcuring when gains are rapid, then wha the hell is wrog with over training ? lol. no, i get what your saying, when things start to go good, then people ge more motivation and start to over trian, then things go bad. thats what you syaing, right? IMO yeah that may happen, but only if the person starts liftign every day of the week without breaks. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

the sad part is if I saw you in my gym I'd bet everything in my pocket that you wer'nt on gear