Author Topic: Circuit City to shut down  (Read 8658 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Circuit City to shut down
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »
Which is exactly why I shop Best Buy.

Went to CC to purchase a car stereo for the second vehicle ONLY because they advertised "free installation with any purchase over $199"

I get there, the unit I want is $575, installation is free right?  Yeah, only after you purchase the parts (4 screws and set of brackets).  Well the parts were $120.

Funny thing is that right there on their board they have it stated that the normal cost of Installation was $75 and included all parts and labor.  So the "free installation" actually cost you more than it would when you normally paid for it.

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »
Circuit City always had the most indifferent employees and salespeople I ever saw. 

The checkout always took forever even if there was only two people on line.

Horrible shopping experience.

That was also due to lack of payroll. This is becoming a trend for all retailers, not just Circuit City.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
That was also due to lack of payroll. This is becoming a trend for all retailers, not just Circuit City.

There has been more than one occasion where I put down items I planned on buying because I did not want to wait on the long lines that looked like they took forever.

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
There has been more than one occasion where I put down items I planned on buying because I did not want to wait on the long lines that looked like they took forever.

That was because the stores had no payroll to properly staff their stores. You should know this. I thought you were a small business owner?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
That was because the stores had no payroll to properly staff their stores. You should know this. I thought you were a small business owner?

I dont operate a retail outfit and dont know their business model.  They had a lot of employees in the store, it just seemed like none were doing anything.

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
I dont operate a retail outfit and dont know their business model.  They had a lot of employees in the store, it just seemed like none were doing anything.

I was in specialty retail for 13 years. 10 of those years my postion was store manager. In corporate retail, almost all operating cost are pretty much fixed. There is one cost that is not fixed, and that is payroll. So, when sales are down, the retailer will cut payroll. If you did any holiday shopping last year, there was no one on the sales floor helping customers.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »
Nothing unfair about providing jobs for thousands of people across the country.  If employees don't like their practices they should go work somewhere else. 

Meanwhile, I'll continue to save money as a "Wal-Mart shopper."  :)

Hey genius... Do you know that if Wal-Mart buys TVs from a manufacturer and a small business owner (like yourself) buys a TV from a manufacturer, that the rules are different.

If you have a TV stolen as a business owner... It's YOUR loss... you already paid for it... sorry.

If Wal-Mart has someone steal a TV, then the manufacturer covers that cost FOR wal-mart.

Just so they can be in a Wal-Mart store because Wal-Mart is so large.

Does that sound fair to you? That is an unfair practice... It's not illegal, but it's not fair.

As far as employees are concerned... Sometimes you don't have any other options... Wal-Marts are sometimes the only employer in an entire area... It's just the way it goes.

You're saying it's the employees fault they get treated like crap because they have to have a job and don't want to sit around on welfare like all the trailerpark jackasses in the country.

You've got some nerve.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
That's certainly possible, but Wal-Mart is a great place to shop.  Good prices.  That's why they're all over the place.  I doubt they can completely dominate the market, because the stores are too big.  We only have three on Oahu to service about 900,000 people.  Still plenty of customers for K-Mart, Longs, Walgreens (which just entered the market), and Don Quixote (one of my favorites). 

All those companies, K-mart, longs, & Walgreens are not too far from being in trouble.  Walmart is even going after Cosco and Sam's with those walmart distribution centers.   I appreciate there intentions to dominate the market place and don't think laws need need to be in place to stop them.  the market place is changing.  Private ownership on the sole proprietor level of businesses is changing.  Forget about the family grocery its disappearing, privately own TV/Stereo repair, computer repair, hardware store....  They can't compete with Walmart, Best Buy and Home depot/Lowe's.   

What's next?  will they start dictating to the manufacturers?

I know some of those mentioned are opening stores, but are they also closing some?  Are they posting profits to the share holders?  Circuit city closing is real significant for me, because i had a gal in my office looking for a job who worked at the local Circuit city where i live.  they were told the store wasn't going to close, promised it wasn't, in the last 6 months when just 5 miles down the freeway they were opening another circuit city.  Then on the saturday before christmas they gathered all the employees and shut it down.  no severance.  no transfers.  Then now, 3 weeks later they announce they are closing all of them, including the new one.

Winning a competitive battle in business is great.  But when all the competition dies out, its not good long term.  It's monopoly/commy like.   ;D

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »
All those companies, K-mart, longs, & Walgreens are not too far from being in trouble.  Walmart is even going after Cosco and Sam's with those walmart distribution centers.   I appreciate there intentions to dominate the market place and don't think laws need need to be in place to stop them.  the market place is changing.  Private ownership on the sole proprietor level of businesses is changing.  Forget about the family grocery its disappearing, privately own TV/Stereo repair, computer repair, hardware store....  They can't compete with Walmart, Best Buy and Home depot/Lowe's.   

I know some of those mentioned are opening stores, but are they also closing some?  Are they posting profits to the share holders?  Circuit city closing is real significant for me, because i had a gal in my office looking for a job who worked at the local Circuit city where i live.  they were told the store wasn't going to close, promised it wasn't, in the last 6 months when just 5 miles down the freeway they were opening another circuit city.  Then on the saturday before christmas they gathered all the employees and shut it down.  no severance.  no transfers.  Then now, 3 weeks later they announce they are closing all of them, including the new one.

Winning a competitive battle in business is great.  But when all the competition dies out, its not good long term.  It's monopoly/commy like.   ;D

WalMart does. Does some research and enlighten yourself.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

100 percent correct... Due to their size and distribution pipeline they absolutely dictate many things to the manufacturer that the small business owner can not.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

No need, I guess i figured right.

100 percent correct... Due to their size and distribution pipeline they absolutely dictate many things to the manufacturer that the small business owner can not.

This is not a good thing.  So now, in a sense, they are saying, "we will force you to buy what we sell"  effectively canceling out to a degree competition among manufacturers. 

Say hello to corporate communism  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »

These huge companies make money two ways:

1.  Sell items for more than they bough them.

2.  Screw the supplier into accepting less for the prudct delivered and cut their invoices down.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
Hey genius... Do you know that if Wal-Mart buys TVs from a manufacturer and a small business owner (like yourself) buys a TV from a manufacturer, that the rules are different.

If you have a TV stolen as a business owner... It's YOUR loss... you already paid for it... sorry.

If Wal-Mart has someone steal a TV, then the manufacturer covers that cost FOR wal-mart.

Just so they can be in a Wal-Mart store because Wal-Mart is so large.

Does that sound fair to you? That is an unfair practice... It's not illegal, but it's not fair.

As far as employees are concerned... Sometimes you don't have any other options... Wal-Marts are sometimes the only employer in an entire area... It's just the way it goes.

You're saying it's the employees fault they get treated like crap because they have to have a job and don't want to sit around on welfare like all the trailerpark jackasses in the country.

You've got some nerve.

Hey Einstein, that sounds absolutely fair.  The relationship between Walmart and its vendors is governed by whatever contract they sign.  If the vendors don't like the terms, then they shouldn't sign the contract.  Those aren't different "rules."  Those are different contracts.  Big difference. 

In what city is Walmart the only employer in town? 

I'm saying if an employee doesn't like how he or she is being treated, then the employee should find another job.  There are 50 states, hundreds of cities, and thousands of employers.  (I'm assuming we're not talking about things like discrimination.) 

I do have some nerve.  I think it's a free country and people should be able to work wherever the heck they want, assuming someone will hire them, start their own business, hire people, fire people, sign contracts, etc.  Imagine that. . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »

I think consumers should dictate what happens.  If we want small mom & pop stores, then they'll survive.  If we don't want them, they'll close shop.  We've had a number of small stores close.  A number of them are still open. 

I don't think Walmart will ever completely control the market.  We have laws in place preventing monopolies.  I don't think they're close to being a monopoly. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
I think consumers should dictate what happens.  If we want small mom & pop stores, then they'll survive.  If we don't want them, they'll close shop.  We've had a number of small stores close.  A number of them are still open. 

They can't compete on prices and selection.  Call it an evolution of the market place if ya like, but its not about preference is about money and people will inevitably gravitate towards selection and prices.  Mom and Pop stores can't provide either. 

I don't think Walmart will ever completely control the market.  We have laws in place preventing monopolies.  I don't think they're close to being a monopoly. 

Not in the traditional sense of them being the only choice.  But in many ways they are.  Take Dixon, CA for example.  a town of about 30k  The walmart distribution center there is the main source for nearly everything.  Other places (all big companies) are 8+ miles away.  There's no way a family owned retail outlet of any general type can survive or can compete there other than a convenience store of which 99% are owned by chains in the area.   Not groceries, not electronics, not auto parts, etc...   Isn't part of the American dream to own your own business?  Traditional business of those types are becoming extinct.  The market place is changing. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »
Hey Einstein, that sounds absolutely fair.  The relationship between Walmart and its vendors is governed by whatever contract they sign.  If the vendors don't like the terms, then they shouldn't sign the contract.  Those aren't different "rules."  Those are different contracts.  Big difference. 

In what city is Walmart the only employer in town? 

I'm saying if an employee doesn't like how he or she is being treated, then the employee should find another job.  There are 50 states, hundreds of cities, and thousands of employers.  (I'm assuming we're not talking about things like discrimination.) 

I do have some nerve.  I think it's a free country and people should be able to work wherever the heck they want, assuming someone will hire them, start their own business, hire people, fire people, sign contracts, etc.  Imagine that. . . .

A vendor not sign a contract to sell a product?

So they have no product to sell? Yeah... That's really going to happen.

A small business owner will NEVER get that into their contract because they are not the size of Wal-Mart and so the manufacturer will not care if they sell their product or not... They've still got Wal-Mart to sell it.

Beach, you really have lost your mind when it comes to this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
They can't compete on prices and selection.  Call it an evolution of the market place if ya like, but its not about preference is about money and people will inevitably gravitate towards selection and prices.  Mom and Pop stores can't provide either. 

Not in the traditional sense of them being the only choice.  But in many ways they are.  Take Dixon, CA for example.  a town of about 30k  The walmart distribution center there is the main source for nearly everything.  Other places (all big companies) are 8+ miles away.  There's no way a family owned retail outlet of any general type can survive or can compete there other than a convenience store of which 99% are owned by chains in the area.   Not groceries, not electronics, not auto parts, etc...   Isn't part of the American dream to own your own business?  Traditional business of those types are becoming extinct.  The market place is changing. 

The smaller stores can compete if that's what the public wants.  We still have a bunch of them here.  But I do agree that the marketplace has changed.  Stores like Walmart and Costco are what the public wants. 

Not everyone wants to own a business, so I wouldn't necessarily call it part of the American dream.  People should try and own their own businesses.  I don't think the big stores prevent that from happening.  They do make it harder in some areas, but that just means people have to adapt.  Find a product or service that people need, find a market, put a business plan together, and make it happen.  That's still possible just about everywhere. 

But yes, the marketplace is changing.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
A vendor not sign a contract to sell a product?

So they have no product to sell? Yeah... That's really going to happen.

A small business owner will NEVER get that into their contract because they are not the size of Wal-Mart and so the manufacturer will not care if they sell their product or not... They've still got Wal-Mart to sell it.

Beach, you really have lost your mind when it comes to this.

I'm not following you.  Are you talking about the relationship between Walmart and manufacturers who provide the products that Walmart sells?  If so, what exactly is the problem? 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
That's certainly possible, but Wal-Mart is a great place to shop.

The two I've been in are full of poor looking Mexicans (probably illegals) and white trash that smell funny and waddle as they go though the store buying cheap shit made in China.

;D

S

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
I'm not following you.  Are you talking about the relationship between Walmart and manufacturers who provide the products that Walmart sells?  If so, what exactly is the problem? 

The problem is that a small business owner... Hell, even larger businesses who are not as large as wal-mart can never get the types of contracts that wal-mart has... It is impossible for them.

You could never get a vendor to sign a contract saying they will pay for a stolen product... because you're too small, but Wal-Mart will get that contract every time.

It is an unfair practice... I don't see how you can't see it.

You probably do, but are so obstinate in your feeling you have to be right that you would never admit it... Continue to "stay the course" Beach my friend.

The two I've been in are full of poor looking Mexicans (probably illegals) and white trash that smell funny and waddle as they go though the store buying cheap shit made in China.

;D

Wal-Mart has so changed since Sam Walton died... No more made in America... it's all Chinese bullshit.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
Remember that time Beach Bum claimed he read "Made in America", than someone mentioned the Walton family and he said he didn't know who they were.

Ultimate owning HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Anyone have a link to that thread.
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
The problem is that a small business owner... Hell, even larger businesses who are not as large as wal-mart can never get the types of contracts that wal-mart has... It is impossible for them.

You could never get a vendor to sign a contract saying they will pay for a stolen product... because you're too small, but Wal-Mart will get that contract every time.

It is an unfair practice... I don't see how you can't see it.

You probably do, but are so obstinate in your feeling you have to be right that you would never admit it... Continue to "stay the course" Beach my friend.

Wal-Mart has so changed since Sam Walton died... No more made in America... it's all Chinese bullshit.

Where are the states and feds?  Why aren't they pursuing Walmart for antitrust violations over this? 

I'm not bothered at all by the fact Walmart has signed contracts with businesses.  The businesses get a huge return because Walmart helps businesses make money.  Who cares if the manufacturer has to replace a stolen TV?  I can't believe you're getting worked up over something like that.  I could care less.  Both Walmart and the manufacturers are making money.  If smaller businesses cannot get contracts with Walmart, then they should find other ways to make money.  Plenty of fish in the sea.  There is absolutely nothing unfair about what you've described.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »
Where are the states and feds?  Why aren't they pursuing Walmart for antitrust violations over this? 

I'm not bothered at all by the fact Walmart has signed contracts with businesses.  The businesses get a huge return because Walmart helps businesses make money.  Who cares if the manufacturer has to replace a stolen TV?  I can't believe you're getting worked up over something like that.  I could care less.  Both Walmart and the manufacturers are making money.  If smaller businesses cannot get contracts with Walmart, then they should find other ways to make money.  Plenty of fish in the sea.  There is absolutely nothing unfair about what you've described.

Pay attention Beach... It is unfair because if I sell a TV and it gets stolen, I have to pay for the loss, where Wal-Mart DOES NOT.

Because they are so LARGE, the manufacturers throw them that bone, where a small TV seller can not get that.

It is COMPLETELY unfair to small business owners who sell the same things Wal-Mart does... It's not ILLEGAL, but it is HIGHLY unfair.

The fact you do not get this is mind boggling.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »
Remember that time Beach Bum claimed he read "Made in America", than someone mentioned the Walton family and he said he didn't know who they were.

Ultimate owning HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Anyone have a link to that thread.

Go take a nap boy. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
Go take a nap boy. 

Wish I could.

Why don't you go catch up on "Made in America". 

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHA
S