Author Topic: When you go to a visitation....  (Read 2733 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
When you go to a visitation....
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
Do you want to "view" the body  ???
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: When you go to a visitation....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »

I'm assuming you mean after the deceased has been embalmed and made presentable in the casket...in that case, yes, one last chance to say goodbye.

Of course, at funerals, someone inevitably broaches the subject of being an organ donor.  I've always said that if the widow is young, attractive, and wealthy enough, I'll donate my organ to her any time.  After the services, obviously.  No need to be tacky.
~

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »

Of course, at funerals, someone inevitably broaches the subject of being an organ donor.  I've always said that if the widow is young, attractive, and wealthy enough, I'll donate my organ to her any time.  After the services, obviously.  No need to be tacky.

Oh dear. :P

I'm assuming you mean after the deceased has been embalmed and made presentable in the casket...in that case, yes, one last chance to say goodbye.

Yes, thanks that does make sense!
R

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »

depends, i cant really explain you this but sometimes i want to see the face of the person for a last time and sometimes i dont, because i want to remember his face when he/she was alive

does it happen to you?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
depends, i cant really explain you this but sometimes i want to see the face of the person for a last time and sometimes i dont, because i want to remember his face when he/she was alive

does it happen to you?

That makes sense too.  Today he looked so different though.  I've heard they sew their eyes shut.. I don't know :(

I have a friend that says that she used to be a mortician.  She has interesting stories but I never asked her about the eyes. 
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:12:58 PM »
That makes sense too.  Today he looked so different though.  I've heard they sew their eyes shut.. I don't know :(

I have a friend that says that she used to be a mortician.  She has interesting stories but I never asked her about the eyes. 

No story about someone fired for showing up in jeans and a t-shirt, only to find out the funeral home did not do "casual Fridays" ??
~

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 05:18:04 PM »
No story about someone fired for showing up in jeans and a t-shirt, only to find out the funeral home did not do "casual Fridays" ??

Did that happen to you!
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Did that happen to you!

No, but I did receive stern admonishment for that very thing some years ago.  Made for an awkward day.  Kind of like that The Office episode where Pam was at Corporate and dressed as Charlie Chaplin for Halloween, only to learn that Corporate did not do the costume thing like they did in Scranton.
~

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »

What is worst, to see a person dead or to see a person saying goodbye to you and dying a day later?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:25:47 PM »
What is worst, to see a person dead or to see a person saying goodbye to you and dying a day later?

I think the latter, especially if you had any unresolved issues or just forgot to say "I love you" one last time.
~

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »
when i die, i want to thrown in the woods, donated or cremated.  No viewing, nothing.  If it were legal i wouldn't mind being put in a garbage bag and put out for trash pick up

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:33:48 AM »
I think the latter, especially if you had any unresolved issues or just forgot to say "I love you" one last time.
X2

when i die, i want to thrown in the woods,

Don't think I've heard this one.
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
Nah I dont do funerals

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
X2

Don't think I've heard this one.

i just think funerals etc are a huge waste of money.  I don't want to burden my family with the bills associated with a funeral plot, embalming, casket, etc.   

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »

It's not something I want to do, but I do so as not to draw attention (disrespect  ???) that I didn't.  I really have no thoughts about the person while I'm up there.  My thoughts are more along the lines of how morbid it is be looking at a dead body.  Other strange, random thoughts go through my mind like how weird it must be for the hairdresser and makeup person to do what they do.
:

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Other strange, random thoughts go through my mind like how weird it must be for the hairdresser and makeup person to do what they do.

The hairdresser probably thinks, "I wish my kids would sit this still while I cut their hair."
~

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
It's not something I want to do, but I do so as not to draw attention (disrespect  ???) that I didn't.  I really have no thoughts about the person while I'm up there.  My thoughts are more along the lines of how morbid it is be looking at a dead body.  Other strange, random thoughts go through my mind like how weird it must be for the hairdresser and makeup person to do what they do.

Pretty much ditto to this.

The hairdresser probably thinks, "I wish my kids would sit this still while I cut their hair."

Andy G, always looking on the bright side!
R

w8m8

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:41:40 AM »

In my small town funeral parlor they use superglue on the eyes and lips   :-[  dunno if anyplace else does tho

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
i just think funerals etc are a huge waste of money.  I don't want to burden my family with the bills associated with a funeral plot, embalming, casket, etc.   

Ditto...I want to be cremated and I guess they can have a small wake, but there would have to be a clown or a magician or something. I don't want the gloomy thing.

Think they could make me smile? maybe position my hands in a double "thumbs up" with elbows at a 90degree angle?

**Edit / Add thanks to Migs - Open bar, 4 drink minimum for all legal. Activities and junk food for the kiddo's.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »
Ditto...I want to be cremated and I guess they can have a small wake, but there would have to be a clown or a magician or something. I don't want the gloomy thing.

Think they could make me smile? maybe position my hands in a double "thumbs up" with elbows at a 90degree angle?

I have a deep seeded hatred of clowns, not too keen on magicians either.  i was thinking that they should have a huge as buffet, open bar and party.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
Some people really need empirical evidence that the person they loved is gone. Guess the whole viewing thing harkens back to the days when people died at home and you would keep them there for a few days to make sure the person was truly dead, not in a coma or vegetative state. Whoever said dead people look like they're peacefully sleeping must have had a great imagination. The dead don't look at all as though they're asleep.  They look so fragile and translucent almost. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
Some people really need empirical evidence that the person they loved is gone. Guess the whole viewing thing harkens back to the days when people died at home and you would keep them there for a few days to make sure the person was truly dead, not in a coma or vegetative state. Whoever said dead people look like they're peacefully sleeping must have had a great imagination. The dead don't look at all as though they're asleep.  They look so fragile and translucent almost. 

With a lot of make-up on.  And his hands were so wrinkly and he was only 35.  It's like all the moisture was out of them.

I went to one a long time ago where the kid shot himself in the head w/a shotgun.  They had an open casket!  Even though the wound hole was covered w/fake hair etc, he dIdn't look like himself at all.

In my small town funeral parlor they use superglue on the eyes and lips   :-[  dunno if anyplace else does tho
That makes more sense than sewing!  I bet they all do that.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »
like i said, leave me in the woods

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
With a lot of make-up on.  And his hands were so wrinkly and he was only 35.  It's like all the moisture was out of them.

I went to one a long time ago where the kid shot himself in the head w/a shotgun.  They had an open casket!  Even though the wound hole was covered w/fake hair etc, he dIdn't look like himself at all.

The loss of moisture makes sense. I went to viewing of an accident victim as well.  The person looked morphed, because a stranger had worked off photographs.  :-\

Have you ever been to Paris? If so, or if not, but next time if you haven't seen them, it's worthwhile to visit the catacombs. There was an effort some time ago to gather the bones of old graveyards and place them all in one place. It's very humbling.

That makes more sense than sewing!  I bet they all do that.

They do I think. And someone who works in a mortuary told me once that they also put cotton batting into the mouths of the dead to plump up the cheeks. Even if cremation is stipulated, they do it just in case the loved ones want to open the casket one time just to make sure. There's little dignity in death.  :)