Author Topic: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007  (Read 762370 times)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007
« Reply #1475 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »
your diet is spot on.....

great job

>:(
what's with the face wiseguy?
:D Weee

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1476 on: January 13, 2006, 12:28:29 PM »
MIKES Workout
Monday - Chest
Flat Bench
135 lbs 12-15 reps (warm-up)
225 lbs 12-15 reps (warm-up)
315 lbs 10-12 reps
405 lbs 5-6 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench
120 lbs 10 reps
150 lbs 10 reps
150 lbs 6-10 reps
For a finishing exercise, I do cable crossovers, or dumbell flyes
Tuesday - Back and Hamstrings
I always start with pull-ups as I think they are a great way to not only warm-up your entire back, but to also build thick muscles.
Pull-Ups
3 sets 10-15 reps
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows
225 lbs 10 reps
315 lbs 10 reps
315 lbs 10 reps
225 lbs 10 reps
Strongest Range Dead Lifts
I will normally start with 315 lbs on the bar and progress up
Pull-Downs
3 sets - as heavy as I can handle that day for 10-12 reps
As a finishing exercise, I like to use a single-arm movement such as a one-arm cable row or a Hammer machine.
Hamstrings
Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts
I will warm-up with 135 lbs and progress up to 315 for 10 reps. I prefer to work only 3 sets of this exercise, as I don't want to over train my hamstrings.
Lying Ham Curls
Keep in mind that when you work quads, you also fire the muscles of the hamstrings. It is virtually impossible to isolate your quads (other than leg extensions) when you are working out. I like to keep this movement at a high rep range, such as 10-12 reps, for a maximum of 4 sets.
Abductor Machine
I like to use this machine to strengthen my squat and leg press. The abductors act as stabilizers and by strengthening these muscles, I find my squat and leg press improves. I can lift more weight. Keep this exercise at 3 to 4 sets for 10 - 15 reps. Don't believe the hype! This isn't the toning machine that you once thought it was!
Wednesday - Day Off and a Day of Rest!
Thursday - Shoulders and Calves - "My Favorite Day"
Seated Dumbbell Presses
100 lbs 10 reps
120 lbs 10 reps
120 lbs 10 reps
100 lbs 10 reps
Side Laterals
25 lbs 10 reps
35 lbs 10 reps
50 lbs 8-10 reps
40 lbs 15-20 reps
will either do Upright Rows or Front Dumbbell Raises for 3 sets to hit the front deltoid muscle.
For the rear delt, I will perform Bent-Over Lateral Raises
Shrugs
I will start this exercise using two 45 lb plates on each side of the bar. I will add 45 lb plate to each side for each set. I will work up to 4plates on each side. I think this is one of the exercises that has contributed a great deal to my thick traps.
Calves
I prefer to do two different exercises for these muscles so I can activate the muscles in different ways. I like to use a Seated Calf Machine to perform 4 sets. I will add on as many 45 lb plates as possible and still be able to complete 10 reps. I will then move onto Standing Calve Raises or Straight-Legged Toe Extensions on the leg press and complete four sets going as heavy as I can.
Friday - Triceps and Biceps
I like to train these muscles together as I find that I have a better workout on the rest of my body parts throughout the week because your bi's and tri's get hit when training your larger muscle groups.
Push Downs I will usually perform 4 or 5 sets to really get my elbows warmed-up. My first two sets are usually light so that I can perform 15-20 reps.
Skull Crushers I will perform four sets of this exercise, increasing the weight with each set. Rep range should stay around 10-12 reps.
Behind the Neck One Arm Dumbbell Extensions This is one of my favorite exercises for triceps. I feel as though I can isolate the triceps and since each arm gets its own workout, develop strength evenly in my arms. I will use 40-50 lbs for 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
Cable Kickbacks I love these because they burn! I like to perform 3 or 4 sets using light weight for 10-12 reps.
Standing Barbell Curls I hate these, but my partners seem to love them. I will start light and work up to about 155 lbs on my 4th set.
Standing Dumbbell Curls I don't use a lot of weight on this exercise because I really want to isolate the bicep muscles. I don't believe in having to use your back to lift the weight. I will perform 3 sets of 10 reps.
Dumbbell Preacher Curl or Biceps Preacher Machine I consider this exercise to be my "finishing" movement. 3-4 sets, 10-12 reps.
Saturday - Quads
This is the day that my training partners and I go into the gym and take over the leg area; very few people dare to enter this area when we're there. The most important aspect to remember when training legs is to WARM UP! I have seen many guys go in and start squatting right off the bat; using a weight they have no right using and tear a muscle. Leg injuries take a while to recover from. Proper warm-up and stretching is essential to preventing injuries.
Leg Press This exercise is my meat and potatoes. Squatting is difficult for me as I have limited flexibility in my shoulders and have a hard time holding the bar on my back to squat. My gym has a Nebula leg press and I have found it to be one of the best pieces of equipment I have used. Not many leg presses allow you to load 1000 lbs and have a person stand on top! I prefer to keep my feet high on this exercise and close together. I'm never sure how many sets we perform. We normally start with 400 lbs on the machine and then add 100's to each side on each exercise until we reach 1000 lbs. We then lighten the load and change feet position to the lower part of the platform for a full leg press. Keeping your feet low incorporates your glute muscles and helps to build a power base. We perform 3-4 sets.
I will then move over to the Smith Machine for squats. I can squat easier using the Smith Machine because I don't have to hold the bar on my back. One of my partners just ensures that the bar is turned so it does not hook on the base. I'll start at 135 lbs and go up to 405 lbs for 10 reps unless one of my partners starts talking trash.
By this point, my legs are pretty exhausted and I will finish with leg extensions using either a drop set or single leg method, all for 10-12 reps. My partners will keep going doing hack squats, vertical leg presses or plie' squats. I find that by keeping my leg workout short and simple, my legs grow much more. Doing a lot of exercises and reps just burns my legs out and they tend to shrink.
There it is - my secret to building thick muscles. Don't get me wrong - none of this it set in stone. My training partners and I change our routine constantly. We will even change the days that we train. Lifting should be about challenging yourself and having fun. If you are in the gym and not having fun and constantly worn out, try changing things. Do nothing but a workout of squats or challenge your partner to a dead lifting contest - heck, hit an aerobics class - just do something to have fun! Remember, the key to building muscle is not about how long you are in the gym daily, but the quality of your workouts !
Good Luck and Happy Lifting!

(combined training methods of "BIG AL FORTNEY and MIKE ARVILLA")
reprinted with al's permission.............. ..................

everything looks great here also....

like me the diet will probably be the toughest thing to follow, the weights are the fun part...

are you including any cheat meals in your eating plan or are you 100% 24/7 ?

keep it up!

>:( TEAM ARVILLA  >:(

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1477 on: January 13, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
what's with the face wiseguy?

ahh the angry face.... I guess I used to rail on so many people and use the face so much it is kinda like my signature in a way...

my trademark...

>:( but I am really  ;D a nice guy

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #1478 on: January 13, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
shooting for the dirt, aren't you? 8 months is a hell of a long time. Spending four weeks focusing on weak area still gives you 26 weeks to focus on getting lean.  His legs are grossly overpowered by his upper body, and that can be corrected. The high intensity cardio wouldn't start yet.  However, front squats with the padded bent bar would.  He's lifting TEN TO TWELVE hours a week right now.   Keep that up and legs will just look more depleted than they already do come contest time.

If 8 months is a long time, and he can make that significant of gains in his legs in that time.................... .................

Why in the hell do you still look like shit after, what 2 years?  Your clueless, I'm not saying he can't bring his legs up some, but not enough to match his upperbody.

I diet for 16 weeks, thats 4 months.  And I am leaner than him when I start.  So if he started dieting 4 months out, that only gives him 4 months before he starts dieting.  How much fucking progress do you think a person can make in 4 months?  Not much.  Its obvious that Mikes legs are his weak point, and might always be, and now is not the time to try and fix that.

And, front squats, WTF!!  If he wants his legs to grow, from all angles, not just the front, he needs to squat, squat, squat.

Get a clue, and make some gains yourself, before you suggest anything for someone getting ready for a show.
W

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #1479 on: January 13, 2006, 02:35:13 PM »
everything looks great here also....

like me the diet will probably be the toughest thing to follow, the weights are the fun part...

are you including any cheat meals in your eating plan or are you 100% 24/7 ?

keep it up!

>:( TEAM ARVILLA  >:(

no cheat meals so far..................... .....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1480 on: January 13, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »

If 8 months is a long time, and he can make that significant of gains in his legs in that time.................... .................

Why in the hell do you still look like shit after, what 2 years?  Your clueless, I'm not saying he can't bring his legs up some, but not enough to match his upperbody.

I diet for 16 weeks, thats 4 months.  And I am leaner than him when I start.  So if he started dieting 4 months out, that only gives him 4 months before he starts dieting.  How much fucking progress do you think a person can make in 4 months?  Not much.  Its obvious that Mikes legs are his weak point, and might always be, and now is not the time to try and fix that.

And, front squats, WTF!!  If he wants his legs to grow, from all angles, not just the front, he needs to squat, squat, squat.

Get a clue, and make some gains yourself, before you suggest anything for someone getting ready for a show.

1) Mike said he doesn't squat for medical reasons, which the front squat could possibly solve.

2) Mike asked for our thoughts. If one thing out of the 10 I said helps, then good.

3) Now is NOT the time to focus on legs? Are you crazy? Now is the ONLY time!  The man is 42 and entering his first contest. WHy diet and get stringy with those legs, when he can maybe do a bumped up cycle, super-heavy leg training, and rest his body for 4-6 weeks before spending 24 weeks dieting?

4) You are a bone rack.  Look in the mirror before getting on me.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1481 on: January 13, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
1) Mike said he doesn't squat for medical reasons, which the front squat could possibly solve.

2) Mike asked for our thoughts. If one thing out of the 10 I said helps, then good.

3) Now is NOT the time to focus on legs? Are you crazy? Now is the ONLY time!  The man is 42 and entering his first contest. WHy diet and get stringy with those legs, when he can maybe do a bumped up cycle, super-heavy leg training, and rest his body for 4-6 weeks before spending 24 weeks dieting?

4) You are a bone rack.  Look in the mirror before getting on me.

ummmm..........i said" i dont squat for medical reasons?!!?"
"i dont squat for medical reasons" = pussy in my book
i squat (not every leg work out but i def get under sum heavy iron and squat)
i need to squat a lot more obviously(being almost 6 ft2" it is difficult but necessary)
look at this video (i see similarities in structure)
obviously im nowhere near as good as kovacs
but we have a similar structure
http://media.putfile.com/kovacs--LOL

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1482 on: January 13, 2006, 05:25:07 PM »
Arvilla, I have a few things to say & hope you don't take offense because I mean well & am not hating on you bud.First I myself am an artistic type person & when I look at a physiqe I look at them w/the view point of an artist.One of the reasons I like the classic physiques like Bob Paris, Francis Benfatto, Steve Reeves etc.Now after saying this & looking at your body from the pic you posted here at the very beginning I see improvements from the other pics you've posted in other threads already.Now if I was you i'd work more on upper chest, & the outside flair of the chest area (near the armpit area).
Secondly, & like I said no hating going on here but have you got a case of gyno going on or have had it before & had it surgically removed?Your nipple area reminds/looks like you may have or have had it.I have a friend that had it surgically removed & your chest area around the nipple area reminds me of him.
Gotta admit i'm hoping you go out there & win your class & do very well.It takes balls to step on a stage in just basically your underwear & I admit I have never ever had the balls to ever even think of trying it.Wellll, maybe when younger haha but the thought left me very quickly :D.Good luck.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #1483 on: January 13, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »
i squat (not every leg work out but i def get under sum heavy iron and squat)

you start your leg workout with leg presses and you are capable of squatting?

No tacoes for you after the show.  >:(

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1484 on: January 13, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
Arvilla, I have a few things to say & hope you don't take offense because I mean well & am not hating on you bud.First I myself am an artistic type person & when I look at a physiqe I look at them w/the view point of an artist.One of the reasons I like the classic physiques like Bob Paris, Francis Benfatto, Steve Reeves etc.Now after saying this & looking at your body from the pic you posted here at the very beginning I see improvements from the other pics you've posted in other threads already.Now if I was you i'd work more on upper chest, & the outside flair of the chest area (near the armpit area).
Secondly, & like I said no hating going on here but have you got a case of gyno going on or have had it before & had it surgically removed?Your nipple area reminds/looks like you may have or have had it.I have a friend that had it surgically removed & your chest area around the nipple area reminds me of him.
Gotta admit i'm hoping you go out there & win your class & do very well.It takes balls to step on a stage in just basically your underwear & I admit I have never ever had the balls to ever even think of trying it.Wellll, maybe when younger haha but the thought left me very quickly :D.Good luck.

yea .........i def havent got "the classic physique thing" going on lol
and yes i have gyno (just havent got it fixed/had the money for it)
thanx for the chest advice and the encouragement!
later...............Mike

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1485 on: January 13, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »
Mike....you look like Dorian Yates compared to this guy:

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1486 on: January 13, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »
Mike, hop on some GH and Slin.

;)

lol   gimmie the money!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1487 on: January 13, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »
i think this is the show im doing..........
23rd MIAMI CHAMPIONSHIPS - Level I, open to athletes from Dade, Broward and Monroe counties only. Ivy League Auditorium, James L. Knight Center, Miami, FL. Contact Sergio Pacheco, 305-823-8346 or George Prince, 786-236-4691.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1488 on: January 13, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »
i think this is the show im doing..........
23rd MIAMI CHAMPIONSHIPS - Level I, open to athletes from Dade, Broward and Monroe counties only. Ivy League Auditorium, James L. Knight Center, Miami, FL. Contact Sergio Pacheco, 305-823-8346 or George Prince, 786-236-4691.

when?

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1489 on: January 13, 2006, 07:41:45 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #1490 on: January 13, 2006, 08:33:42 PM »
MEAL 1: 12 egg whites 1 yolk ,1 cup of oatmeal

MEAL 2: 12 oz tuna (from the can) 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 3: 12 oz very lean ground beef 12 oz baked or sweet potato

MEAL 4: 12 oz of chicken breast 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 5 : after workout protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal

MEAL 6: same as meal 1

MEAL 7: protein shake

MEAL 8: wake up for this one 50 g whey protein

that's pretty much it...................... .............(sometimes i substitute chicken for the beef)

I hope you're taking in fish oil (6 grams) (and flax oil if desired) ~ Glutamine would not be a bad idea either (20-30 gm / day).  And GREENS! 
Where are your greens????

IMO, it's too early to begin dieting this hard....

Mike, listen to him here.  You could be the best bodybuilder on stage, but if you pose like shit, you lose.

You do follow the head judge, but there are so many tiny details in every pose, you need to learn them.  Just the slightest angle can change everything.

Posing is very very fatiguing (and even moreso when you're depleted), so practice, practice, practice, to build up endurance.  Learn to hit them and hold them.  Always remember; you're posing for the judges NOT the audience ~ know exactly where the judges are.  Learn to hide your flaws and excentuate your strong points FOR THE JUDGES.

If you haven't been here ~ check it out.

http://www.npcnewsonline.com/
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1491 on: January 13, 2006, 08:39:38 PM »
Practice posing looking in a mirror:

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1492 on: January 13, 2006, 08:44:59 PM »

I hope you're taking in fish oil (6 grams) (and flax oil if desired) ~ Glutamine would not be a bad idea either (20-30 gm / day).  And GREENS! 
Where are your greens????

IMO, it's too early to begin dieting....

Posing is very very fatiguing (and even moreso when you're depleted), so practice, practice, practice, to build up endurance.  Learn to hit them and hold them.  Always remember; you're posing for the judges NOT the audience ~ know exactly where the judges are.  Learn to hide your flaws and excentuate your strong points FOR THE JUDGES.

If you haven't been here ~ check it out.

http://www.npcnewsonline.com/

thanks!!!(some good advice in this post)

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #1493 on: January 13, 2006, 08:58:09 PM »
diet looks solid,very close to what i am doing now. :)i start dieting in  3weeks.can't wait ::)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1494 on: January 13, 2006, 09:11:19 PM »

and LOL!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #1495 on: January 13, 2006, 10:07:23 PM »
word.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1496 on: January 14, 2006, 05:39:42 AM »
diet looks solid,very close to what i am doing now. :)i start dieting in  3weeks.can't wait ::)

what show are you doing? and when is it/how far out are you?

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #1497 on: January 14, 2006, 06:08:19 AM »
i will be doing the nabba southern hemisphere championships on may 28th on the gold coast in australia.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1498 on: January 14, 2006, 06:54:08 AM »

july 23rd.............

sweet I am in orlando I can make that!

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1499 on: January 14, 2006, 06:56:33 AM »

;D

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS SO FUNNY... I ACTAULLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD!

4 gold stars for knny.....