Author Topic: Religious people are idiots  (Read 6331 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Religious people are idiots
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »
It is not blind faith :)

Plus NO religionns are bad - Its forcing them upon others. Most religions basic rules are rules to govern and live by - They do no harm at all if you follow them. Most are common sense.

People will kill if they want to kill - no religion will make them or stop them.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »
Religious people are idiots

QFT!

100% agree.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Say what you want about religion but if everyone followed the 10 commandments this world would be a good place to be even if you have no belief.

1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Respect your father and mother.
6. You must not kill.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »
All I see is lots of very stupid people talking to invisible friends

People accept the crazy talk until they do crazy stuff like kill someone.  ;D It never holds in court. "God made me do it your honor". Judge: "50 years, good day sir".

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
You have control over your actions.

Ultimately everything we do benefits us in some way. No exceptions.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »
Whose side is god on?

The winner/majority/both.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »
So, if I'm envious of my neighbor's lawnmower, I'm going to hell?
What about his weedwacker?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
No atheists on a deathbed  ;D

No but seriously why do ALOT of non religious poeple get so pissed about religious people?

I dont care or bother or try to convert non religious people.

Bast175

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
That theory of social interaction does not hold much ground.

So you think people just do shit at random and not to benefit themselves?

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
http://www.gotquestions.org/gay-marriage.html

While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. It is clear, however, that the Bible condemns homosexuality as an immoral and unnatural sin. Leviticus 18:22 identifies homosexual sex as an abomination, a detestable sin. Romans 1:26-27 declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent. First Corinthians 6:9 states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.

Whenever the Bible mentions marriage, it is between a male and a female. The first mention of marriage, Genesis 2:24, describes it as a man leaving his parents and being united to his wife. In passages that contain instructions regarding marriage, such as 1 Corinthians 7:2-16 and Ephesians 5:23-33, the Bible clearly identifies marriage as being between a man and a woman. Biblically speaking, marriage is the lifetime union of a man and a woman, primarily for the purpose of building a family and providing a stable environment for that family.

The Bible alone, however, does not have to be used to demonstrate this understanding of marriage. The biblical viewpoint of marriage has been the universal understanding of marriage in every human civilization in world history. History argues against gay marriage. Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another. In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children. Psychology argues against gay marriage. In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit” together sexually. With the “natural” purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose. Nature argues against gay marriage.

So, if the Bible, history, psychology, and nature all argue for marriage being between a man and a woman—why is there such a controversy today? Why are those who are opposed to gay marriage/same-sex marriage labeled as hateful, intolerant bigots, no matter how respectfully the opposition is presented? Why is the gay rights movement so aggressively pushing for gay marriage/same-sex marriage when most people, religious and non-religious, are supportive of—or at least far less opposed to—gay couples having all the same legal rights as married couples with some form of civil union?

The answer, according to the Bible, is that everyone inherently knows that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural, and the only way to suppress this inherent knowledge is by normalizing homosexuality and attacking any and all opposition to it. The best way to normalize homosexuality is by placing gay marriage/same-sex marriage on an equal plane with traditional opposite-gender marriage. Romans 1:18-32 illustrates this. The truth is known because God has made it plain. The truth is rejected and replaced with a lie. The lie is then promoted and the truth suppressed and attacked. The vehemence and anger expressed by many in the gay rights movement to any who oppose them is, in fact, an indication that they know their position is indefensible. Trying to overcome a weak position by raising your voice is the oldest trick in the debating book. There is perhaps no more accurate description of the modern gay rights agenda than Romans 1:31, “they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.”

To give sanction to gay marriage/same-sex marriage would be to give approval to the homosexual lifestyle, which the Bible clearly and consistently condemns as sinful. Christians should stand firmly against the idea of gay marriage/same-sex marriage. Further, there are strong and logical arguments against gay marriage/same-sex marriage from contexts completely separated from the Bible. One does not have to be an evangelical Christian to recognize that marriage is between a man and a woman.

According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage. As Christians, we are not to condone or ignore sin. Rather, we are to share the love of God and the forgiveness of sins that is available to all, including homosexuals, through Jesus Christ. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15) and contend for truth with “gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). As Christians, when we make a stand for truth and the result is personal attacks, insults, and persecution, we should remember the words of Jesus: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you” (John 15:18-19).

Bast175

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »

How does helping a 72 year old woman who you will never see again cross the street benefit you?

it makes you feel good to make others feel good.  Now if helping someone meant giving up something important to you, you wouldn't do it.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
Fairness does not exist, however, free will does.

"Fairness" is merely point of view.
Ron: "I am lazy."

ironclad

• Getbig I
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
nuff said...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »
This is assuming the unproven claim that gods (any gods) exist. All I see is lots of very stupid people talking to invisible friends and getting their panties in a bunch that gay people wanted to be treated like full humans.

I see a lot very stupid people, obsessing over something/someone they don't believe to exist.

But, that is another story.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »
http://www.gotquestions.org/gay-marriage.html

While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. It is clear, however, that the Bible condemns homosexuality as an immoral and unnatural sin. Leviticus 18:22 identifies homosexual sex as an abomination, a detestable sin. Romans 1:26-27 declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent. First Corinthians 6:9 states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.

Whenever the Bible mentions marriage, it is between a male and a female. The first mention of marriage, Genesis 2:24, describes it as a man leaving his parents and being united to his wife. In passages that contain instructions regarding marriage, such as 1 Corinthians 7:2-16 and Ephesians 5:23-33, the Bible clearly identifies marriage as being between a man and a woman. Biblically speaking, marriage is the lifetime union of a man and a woman, primarily for the purpose of building a family and providing a stable environment for that family.

The Bible alone, however, does not have to be used to demonstrate this understanding of marriage. The biblical viewpoint of marriage has been the universal understanding of marriage in every human civilization in world history. History argues against gay marriage. Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another. In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children. Psychology argues against gay marriage. In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit” together sexually. With the “natural” purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose. Nature argues against gay marriage.

So, if the Bible, history, psychology, and nature all argue for marriage being between a man and a woman—why is there such a controversy today? Why are those who are opposed to gay marriage/same-sex marriage labeled as hateful, intolerant bigots, no matter how respectfully the opposition is presented? Why is the gay rights movement so aggressively pushing for gay marriage/same-sex marriage when most people, religious and non-religious, are supportive of—or at least far less opposed to—gay couples having all the same legal rights as married couples with some form of civil union?

The answer, according to the Bible, is that everyone inherently knows that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural, and the only way to suppress this inherent knowledge is by normalizing homosexuality and attacking any and all opposition to it. The best way to normalize homosexuality is by placing gay marriage/same-sex marriage on an equal plane with traditional opposite-gender marriage. Romans 1:18-32 illustrates this. The truth is known because God has made it plain. The truth is rejected and replaced with a lie. The lie is then promoted and the truth suppressed and attacked. The vehemence and anger expressed by many in the gay rights movement to any who oppose them is, in fact, an indication that they know their position is indefensible. Trying to overcome a weak position by raising your voice is the oldest trick in the debating book. There is perhaps no more accurate description of the modern gay rights agenda than Romans 1:31, “they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.”

To give sanction to gay marriage/same-sex marriage would be to give approval to the homosexual lifestyle, which the Bible clearly and consistently condemns as sinful. Christians should stand firmly against the idea of gay marriage/same-sex marriage. Further, there are strong and logical arguments against gay marriage/same-sex marriage from contexts completely separated from the Bible. One does not have to be an evangelical Christian to recognize that marriage is between a man and a woman.

According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage. As Christians, we are not to condone or ignore sin. Rather, we are to share the love of God and the forgiveness of sins that is available to all, including homosexuals, through Jesus Christ. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15) and contend for truth with “gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). As Christians, when we make a stand for truth and the result is personal attacks, insults, and persecution, we should remember the words of Jesus: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you” (John 15:18-19).

AMEN!!!

;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »
Say what you want about religion but if everyone followed the 10 commandments this world would be a good place to be even if you have no belief.

1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Respect your father and mother.
6. You must not kill.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

EXACTLY!!!

Next time someone whines about "forcing religion" on them, kindly recite these commandments to them (at least, 5 through 10).

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »
It seems to me most people who adhere to a particular religion were usually raised by parents of the same religion. So in other words, the person didn't usually explore different faiths and philosophies and selected one that made sense to them..but instead, just went along with the one their parents told them to. It seems more of a tradition, than a conscious choice. I think one can believe that there is a force..or an energy..or something that may have played a part in the creation of the Universe, without adhering to a formal religion. The problem with most religions is that they make God, an entity capable of creating the cosmos, into this silly being who gets jealous, wants to kill people, and demands people to kneel down and worship him. These are not traits I would imagine a supreme being to have.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
It seems to me most people who adhere to a particular religion were usually raised by parents of the same religion. So in other words, the person didn't usually explore different faiths and philosophies and selected one that made sense to them..but instead, just went along with the one their parents told them to. It seems more of a tradition, than a conscious choice. I think one can believe that there is a force..or an energy..or something that may have played a part in the creation of the Universe, without adhering to a formal religion. The problem with most religions is that they make God, an entity capable of creating the cosmos, into this silly being who gets jealous, wants to kill people, and demands people to kneel down and worship him. These are not traits I would imagine a supreme being to have.

However, there are a lot of people who were NOT raised in religious home, yet became people of faith (i.e. Christians) later in their adult life.

Furthermore, there are others who DON'T go along with their parents' faith (at least not in their younger years). But as they age and mature (or go through the rigors of life), they have an experiencce that brings them to faith. Biblically speaking, there are a lot of "prodigal sons" (and daughters) who come back home.
 ;D

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
However, there are a lot of people who were NOT raised in religious home, yet became people of faith (i.e. Christians) later in their adult life.

Furthermore, there are others who DON'T go along with their parents' faith (at least not in their younger years). But as they age and mature (or go through the rigors of life), they have an experiencce that brings them to faith. Biblically speaking, there are a lot of "prodigal sons" (and daughters) who come back home.
 ;D
True. To me that shows more intellectual depth than one who follows a religion just for the simple reason that their parents told them to.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
True. To me that shows more intellectual depth than one who follows a religion just for the simple reason that their parents told them to.

That almost NEVER keeps people in the church. If they don't experience (or at least, have a desire to have) a relationship with Jesus Christ, they will leave the church. That's a virtual lock.

There's an old saying, God has no grandchildren!. Your parents can't be Christians for you. And you can't be a Christian for your children. As a Christian parent, the job is to teach your children in the reverence and admonition of the Lord.

What they do with it from there is on them.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
I chose to continue my catholicism of my own accord.

Granted I grew up in a catholic environment, but so did some of my sisters and they dont bother

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
That almost NEVER keeps people in the church. If they don't experience (or at least, have a desire to have) a relationship with Jesus Christ, they will leave the church. That's a virtual lock.

There's an old saying, God has no grandchildren!. Your parents can't be Christians for you. And you can't be a Christian for your children. As a Christian parent, the job is to teach your children in the reverence and admonition of the Lord.
What they do with it from there is on them.

I think the problem comes in when they try to dictate to   teach EVERYBODY'S children 24/7   ::)
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 04:31:03 AM »
They're not idiots. But they don't apply logic reason to their theological beliefs.
As empty as paradise

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:10 AM »
EXACTLY!!!

Next time someone whines about "forcing religion" on them, kindly recite these commandments to them (at least, 5 through 10).

ya the first five are the ones i would of made ::)

what about rape, discrimination,  the first five are completely useless, and make god seem jealous as hell.

resting on the sabbath is stupid as well, however, its a crime punishable by death if you choose not to obey.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
ya the first five are the ones i would of made ::)

what about rape, discrimination,  the first five are completely useless, and make god seem jealous as hell.

How is honoring your father and mother useless (Apparently, you forgot that's number 5)?

Rape falls under the adultery category (as do a number of other sexual trangressions).

Discrimination? It depends on the issue.

resting on the sabbath is stupid as well, however, its a crime punishable by death if you choose not to obey.

Then I take it (depending on where you work) you'll be protesting in front of your boss' office, demanding that he open the office and make everyone work every day.  ::)

I'll take the Sabbath off, if it's all the same to you.