Author Topic: Obama invokes Jesus Christ more than Bush Did  (Read 4042 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Obama invokes Jesus Christ more than Bush Did
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »
You really think the Bible is a good basis for running government? ??? :-\

That's not the point.  The point is that the same people who criticized Bush for doing this, are now making all kinds of excuses for Obama who is now doing the same thing, but even more so than Bush ever did.

I do not believe in theocracies, but it's my personal opinion that you can't expect a true Biblical Christian not to live by the teachings and examples of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Bible.

Ron Paul has said that his faith helps to shape his policy and voting decisions.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »
That's not the point.  The point is that the same people who criticized Bush for doing this, are now making all kinds of excuses for Obama who is now doing the same thing, but even more so than Bush ever did.

I do not believe in theocracies, but it's my personal opinion that you can't expect a true Biblical Christian not to live by the teachings and examples of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Bible.

Ron Paul has said that his faith helps to shape his policy and voting decisions.

Jesus' teachings are so contradictory that living by them doesn't seem to be the best idea imo. I think Obama is an atheist who invokes religion for theatrical reasons.
I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
This is actually good article and  exposed the hypocrisy of the left big time. 

I've always been sceptical about Obama due to his strong religiousity.

It's never good when the leader of the free world is a religious nutcase.

As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 06:56:43 AM »
I've always been sceptical about Obama due to his strong religiousity.

It's never good when the leader of the free world is a religious nutcase.

He's faking it.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
lol.  He's either a "fundamentalist" or a liar. 

Talk about denial.   :)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »
So you are delighted that Obama is operating in this manner.

Nooooo, you completely missed the point of my post. All American presidents have been Christian,  and a majority of the American public also identify themselves as Christian. If a president incorporates spirituality into his speeches, that borders on a non-issue for me. Bill Clinton spoke at many churches and quoted the bible often.

What Bush did that was unprecedented was to push religion to the center of his platform. He claimed to hold conversations with God.

The point I was making in my previous post is that I would have been delighted if religion held a more moderate place in the Bush White House. I think you understood that, though.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:09 PM »
Save me Jebus!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »

What Bush did that was unprecedented was to push religion to the center of his platform. He claimed to hold conversations with God.

Unprecedented?  Hardly.  Our current president has conversations with God too:

"The questions I had did not magically disappear," Obama wrote in his recent book, titled "The Audacity of Hope" after Wright's turn of phrase, of the day four years later when he made a formal commitment of Christian faith. "But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0716/p01s01-uspo.html

Explaining what it meant to him to be a Christian, the Democratic senator from Illinois talked of "walking humbly with our God": "I know that I don't walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-saddleback-obama-mccainaug17,0,4760268.story

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »
Yes, unprecedented.

When he starts claiming that he makes policy decisions because he spoke to God and God told him to do it, then I'll have to reconsider.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Yes, unprecedented.

When he starts claiming that he makes policy decisions because he spoke to God and God told him to do it, then I'll have to reconsider.

So you didn't mean that having conversations with God was unprecedented? 

Sounds like his faith guides all of his decision making to me:

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn’t ‘fall out in church’ as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn’t want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.
. . .

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20080306_news_flash_obama_clinton_claim_christian_faith/

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
So you didn't mean that having conversations with God was unprecedented? 

Sounds like his faith guides all of his decision making to me:

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn’t ‘fall out in church’ as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn’t want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.
. . .

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20080306_news_flash_obama_clinton_claim_christian_faith/

A little while ago, I saw an old interview with Halle Berry in which she was promoting a movie she starred in about the life of Dorothy Dandridge. She said she felt Dandridge's spirit on the set of the movie. A reasonable thing to say, whether or not you believe it was true. However, if she claimed that she went home at night and Ouija boarded Dandridge to ask her advice on how she should play a certain scene or if certain parts of the script were factually accurate, I would think she was a little off.

If Bush was a Hollywood starlet, he would have Ouija boarded Dorothy Dandridge.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »
A little while ago, I saw an old interview with Halle Berry in which she was promoting a movie she starred in about the life of Dorothy Dandridge. She said she felt Dandridge's spirit on the set of the movie. A reasonable thing to say, whether or not you believe it was true. However, if she claimed that she went home at night and Ouija boarded Dandridge to ask her advice on how she should play a certain scene or if certain parts of the script were factually accurate, I would think she was a little off.

If Bush was a Hollywood starlet, he would have Ouija boarded Dorothy Dandridge.

Not a good comparison.  Why not just deal with the facts?  Obama calls himself a Christian.  Obama made his faith a central part of his campaign.  Obama has made religion part of his administration.  Obama talks to God and believes God talks to him and that God is a "powerful guide" for all of his values and ideals.  There is zero difference between Obama and Bush from that standpoint. 

I do question the sincerity of his beliefs and his tortured interpretation of some aspects of religion, but superficially he isn't much different than Bush from a religious point of view.  In fact, he has repeatedly invoked the name of Jesus Christ as president, something Bush never did. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
It's the perfect comparison. In neither of the quotes you posted did Obama claim that God spoke to him. He did say that his knowledge of the Gospel did influence his values and ideals, and ostensibly affects his decisions. Part of many things that affect his decision. Like any reasonable person.Those are the facts.

While Obama uses biblical stories as parables to explain his administration's policies, Bush uses biblical stories about demons in the middle east as proof of their existence and reasons for war. That is completely different than anything Obama, Clinton, Reagan or Carter did. All men were known to be religious, but Bush's level of zealotry was unprecedented.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
It's the perfect comparison. In neither of the quotes you posted did Obama claim that God spoke to him. He did say that his knowledge of the Gospel did influence his values and ideals, and ostensibly affects his decisions. Part of many things that affect his decision. Like any reasonable person.Those are the facts.

While Obama uses biblical stories as parables to explain his administration's policies, Bush uses biblical stories about demons in the middle east as proof of their existence and reasons for war. That is completely different than anything Obama, Clinton, Reagan or Carter did. All men were known to be religious, but Bush's level of zealotry was unprecedented.

Good try houdini. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »
It's a shame American politicians can't be more honest about their atheism. :-\
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »
Good try houdini. 

lol.   :)  Total denial.  Whether you are religious or not, you cannot reasonably say that Obama doesn't talk to God through prayer.  That's what Christians do.  And he did admit to talking to God:  "But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me."  How did "God spirit" beckon him without communicating with him? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »

Obama Says Teachings of Jesus Christ 'Spoke to Me,' then Defends Abortion
LifeSitenews.com ^ | September 29, 2010 | By Kathleen Gilbert

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:01:03 PM by topher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama Says Teachings of Jesus Christ 'Spoke to Me,' then Defends Abortion

By Kathleen Gilbert

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico, September 29, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Following reports of widespread skepticism over his professed Christianity, President Obama on Tuesday invoked the teachings of Jesus Christ as the inspiration for his public agenda, which he called part of an "effort to express my Christian faith" - and in his next breath defended the legalized killing of unborn children.

When a teacher's assistant asked him why he was a Christian during a townhall Q&A in Albuquerque, the president answered, “I’m a Christian by choice.”

The president admitted that his parents “weren’t folks who went to church every week" and that his mother "didn’t raise me in the church.” "I came to my Christian faith later in life, and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead - being my brothers’ and sisters’ keeper, treating others as they would treat me," he said.

Obama continued: "And I think also understanding that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings, that we’re sinful and we’re flawed and we make mistakes, and that we achieve salvation through the grace of God.  But what we can do, as flawed as we are, is still see God in other people and do our best to help them find their own grace.

“That’s what I strive to do.  That’s what I pray to do every day.  I think my public service is part of that effort to express my Christian faith," he said.

But the president then jumped to defend the legal killing of unborn children when the same woman asked about regulating the procedure.

"Now, with respect to the abortion issue, I actually think - I mean, there are laws both federal, state and constitutional that are in place," he said. "And I think that this is an area where I think Bill Clinton had the right formulation a couple of decades ago, which is abortion should be safe, legal, and rare."

Obama exhorted the audience to "recognize" killing unborn children as "a difficult, oftentimes tragic situation that families are wrestling with." "I think the families and the women involved are the ones who should make the decisions, not the government," he said, adding: "I do think actually that there are a whole host of laws on the books that after a certain period, the interests shift such that you can have some restrictions, for example, on late-term abortions, and appropriately so."

As an Illinois and U.S. senator, Obama never once voted in favor of an abortion restriction, supporting even the gruesome partial-birth abortion procedure and voting against a state law to protect infants born alive during an abortion.

Since ascending to the White House, he has solidified his 100% pro-abortion record by pursuing greater funding for abortion groups both overseas and at home. In crafting the federal health care reform, Obama's administration worked closely with abortion giant Planned Parenthood, whom he promised in 2007 that reproductive health would be "at the center, the heart" of his health care plans.

Obama's devotion to abortion is not the only aspect of a public agenda in plain conflict with the Christian worldview.

Obama has taken an increasingly aggressive stance against Christian values on marriage and the family by courting the homosexualist lobby, and has pushed for an end to the federal Defense of Marriage Act, the repeal of the U.S. military's ban on open homosexuality, and gay adoption. Obama also successfully championed the inclusion of "sexual orientation" as a federally protected trait alongside race and religion in federal "hate crimes" legislation.

A survey by the Pew Research Center in August found that nearly one in five Americans believe Obama is a Muslim, and only one in three believe he is an adherent of the faith he claims; 43 percent said they were unsure. The White House shot back at the polls, claiming that right-wing "misinformation campaigns" had produced the results.

Yet skeptics likely remained unmoved when, after the Pew results were collected, Obama vouched for a proposed Islamic community center and mosque near the site of the 9/11 terrorist attack in New York City. The president announced his support at a White House dinner celebrating the Muslim fast of Ramadan.

Christian leaders have expressed frustration at Obama's claim to Christianity despite failing to attend church services regularly since winning the 2008 presidential election, including Christmas Day 2008 and 2009.

URL: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/sep/10092907.html

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Yeah, I think it's funny how much they criticized Bush for invoking Jesus, but now that Obama is doing the same, but even more so than Bush did, they are okay with it.  And look:

"But inside his White House, Obama has placed his Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships — run by a 26-year old Pentecostal minister named Josh DuBois — under the White House’s Domestic Policy Council. That was widely seen as an effort to involve a religious perspective in the administration’s policy decisions."

And so many of them gave Sarah Palin such a hard time just because she is one of those "crazy Pentecostals."    :)

He has to invoke Jesus. It is expected of him. You would never vote for a secular president of any political stripe.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »
He has to invoke Jesus. It is expected of him. You would never vote for a secular president of any political stripe.

What is a "secular president"? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
What is a "secular president"? 

A non-religious, non-christian President, an atheist president...for example.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
A non-religious, non-christian President, an atheist president...for example.

Thanks.  I don't think the majority of the public would vote for an atheist for president. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
Thanks.  I don't think the majority of the public would vote for an atheist for president. 

If he promised to leave me alone, not tax me more, not enatc insane policies, I would vote for that person. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »
If he promised to leave me alone, not tax me more, not enatc insane policies, I would vote for that person. 

That is my point. He could promise that and if he didn't talk about Jesus all day no one would vote for him. Since you are not a religious nutcase you might not understand; I don't understand either.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »

Yes and that is a sad thing when religion qualifies you more than your policies.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »
Yes and that is a sad thing when religion qualifies you more than your policies.

I think it's just a matter of preference and shows how important faith is in this country.  I don't have a problem with atheists.  One of my good buddies is an atheist (among other atheist friends), but I wouldn't want them running the country.  I'd rather have someone who believes in a higher power.