Author Topic: WORKOUT: (SUGGESTIONS)- from IFBB pro Bodybuilder!  (Read 9685 times)

dexterJ

• Time Out
  • Getbig III

dexterJ

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: WORKOUT: (SUGGESTIONS)- from IFBB pro Bodybuilder!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »
anybody use his training?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »
the suggested workout is very similar to what i do in the gym... i won't bore you all with my workout but my view has always been "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

as long as you have squats, deadlifts, bench and other basic movements in your workout you're on the right track

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:12 PM »
"

as long as you have squats, deadlifts, bench and other basic movements in your workout you're on the right track

The stuff the books says isn't always the best, there are plenty of other alternatives that can be better or just as good.

Deadlifts are not necessary for BB and are a nice way to ruin a back. Once a back is injured, it's a headache to recover from if ever, while it adversely effects most of workouts for other areas.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
The stuff the books says isn't always the best, there are plenty of other alternatives that can be better or just as good.

Deadlifts are not necessary for BB and are a nice way to ruin a back. Once a back is injured, it's a headache to recover from if ever, while it adversely effects most of workouts for other areas.

Ive gotten the best results from deadlifting...
thicker legs, back, arms, and even shoulders (traps) but thats me...
not to speak out against pumpster but everyone is different and what books say arent the best so in other words figure out what works for you

dexterJ

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Deadlift only give me a back problems next 2-3 days..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »

as i said it was just my opinion... honestly though I would challenge anyone to find me 10 bodybuilders who have competed at least once who have been hurt by deadlifts...

it's been my experience that most people who hurt themselves at the gym just plain hurt themselves, either by using too much weight too soon, improper warm up or improper technique...

deadlifts do not need to be done as a maximal lift exercise... for a couple of year i used to do sets os 15-20 with only 225 at the end of back day... god i cringe to think about that now... it was brutal

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
The thing is, the lower back gets a lot of work already, from squats and rows for example. If more direct work is needed i think it's better to stick with hyperextensions or high rep rack pulls or DLs.

It's true that there doesn't seem to be a lot of injuries from them, but on the other hand i'm not sure that most pros actually do them regularly, especially heavy. Schwarzenegger for example, i can remember either one or no pics of him deadlifting, same with some of the other names. You've got guys like Coleman who seems almost indestructible, but then there are others like Dillet, Wheeler, etc. where i can't remember ever seeing do deadlifts.

Whatever the exercise, the majority of guys learn to avoid extremely heavy exercises later in their careers. Levrone's pec tear a case in point.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
The thing is, the lower back gets a lot of work already, from squats and rows for example. If more direct work is needed i think it's better to stick with hyperextensions or high rep rack pulls or DLs.

It's true that there doesn't seem to be a lot of injuries from them, but on the other hand i'm not sure that most pros actually do them regularly, especially heavy. Schwarzenegger for example, i can remember either one or no pics of him deadlifting, same with some of the other names.

are you kidding?  arnie deadlifted like a mofo!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
my personal fav

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »

Good examples, but the first two are early when he was doing strong man stuff in Europe, not just BB. He didn't do that later and the last one's shopped-according to that pic he's using about 3 times the amount he's using in the first two lol.

Get me some Dillet, Wheeler and other top guys doing DLs. Not that many, because with the exception of someone like Coleman it's not smart to go heavy on anything later in the career. Even Coleman only did that for vids, normally he kept the reps up to 15 or more, minimizing potential injury.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
i agree... i think deadlifts are awesome (awesome for me) but i never go below 8 reps anymore...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
Once again, pumpster bullying a poster into seeing things his way. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Once again, pumpster bullying a poster into seeing things his way. ::)

Interesting interpretation, especially coming from someone on the "positive" board. ??? Actually it's just discourse, and i have strong opinions but the back and forth and debate is a good thing.

What brings him here, it's never about contributing anything useful that's a fact. Methinks it was probably a pm inviting this troll to surface. ;D

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:30:09 AM »
Many years i did deadlift with over 400lbs
finally i had a pinched disc (i had to stop working out during 4 months)
i gave up deadlift and now i do pull ups and different rows and my back is better and pain free

A trap bar can be used, more comfortable than a straight bar but quads are more involved

dexterJ

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:23 AM »
i did maxx 8 x 480lbs...then 7 days big big problems..now no more

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 06:47:53 AM »
The fact of the matter is that deadlifts (squats, shrugs, ...) will place more strain on your spine than other exercises. This need not lead to injuries but it WILL result in more wear and tear which can get back to you in later years.

Obviously they DO work great. Knowing what I know now, would I ever let someone who could go for a long bb career do them? No way, the cons outweigh the benefits. (for longterm size)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »
The Trap bar shown is ideal for DL'ing. The grip is more natural (thumbs forward) and the knee's are out of the way. You just get a better feel for the lift.

Problem with a straight bar is the knee's being in the way for most people. Which to avoid this, the lifter must bend forward too much, which can put undo pressure on the  lower back/spine hinge function. This can usually end up being those half DL/half rounded back SLDL's that are murder on the ligaments/connective tissue and spinal disc's.  Some men, who are more natural DL'ers, squaters or BP'ers and have a body and leverage built for that lift, seem to thrive on these heavy compound exercises .Plus they do the movements the correct way with help from good coaching and gym time. They only get better. Elite Pl'ers& OL'ers come to mind. They are the chosen few.

Might find that most forms of DL'ing are meant to be a leg/glute/hip exercise. The lifter is only holding the bar in place (shoulders back...head up) while the legs/lower body do the actual lifting (pushing with the legs,should not be pulling from the floor). If still feeling pain in the lower back after doing DL'ing for a while (even years), than you might want to check your form on the lift. Guy's tend to macho out on this exercise and use weight that they are not ready for. Most ego lifts (BP's included...blown shoulders come to mind) will bring on the pain.

Holding a heavy weight in place for a short period of time has many benefits. Thicker traps, lats & lower lumbar area as an example as one does DL'ing. Seen many guy's improve squating, benches, overhead pressing and even arm size/strength (curls) this way. Seems to be a lost art in modern weight training. Good Luck.
F

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

Monster shortage of 45's.

Ghetto Euro presentation.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Monster shortage of 45's.

Ghetto Euro presentation.

haha

io856

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 06:15:43 AM »
holy shit! Arnold deadlifted 710!

dexterJ

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
omfg 710..its not a joke...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
I squat decent. I bench just 315. Never done more. 

But I deadlift 520 for reps. They really helped me grow. As I started to develop back problems (inevitable)- I had the discs checked out to see exactly what was going on.

BY that time I had already gained a good amount of solid muscle.

I think it is much safer to do partial deads in a rack. Use a nice Velcro belt that can really support the back.

I don't like squatting too much. I have to wrap and the benefit to risk ratio doesn't work in my favor on the heavy squats, so, I squat lighter in a Smith rack.

I was never much of a bench presser. Didnt like my shoulders hangin of the bench waiting to dislocate. I built my check with dumbells and cable flies and dips.

Heavy heavy weights are gonna  get you sooner or later. Injuries can be permanent.

Skip la Cour swears by heavy weights and low reps. Frank Zane swears by moderate weight and higher reps. Do you wanna be a powerlifter or a bodybuilder?

Once your body starts aging a bit, the logical answer seems to takeover.

Be careful with the full range deadlifts.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Schwarzenegger never DLed heavy past the young and stupid age, which is what most BBs do then learn better through exprience. I doubt anyone can find a pic of him actually lifting anything heavy on DLs in the 70s or beyond, just as with most BBs excepting a few who rarely got injured, like Columbu and Coleman.

Risk of Injuries

Some injuries that may occur while deadlifting is lumbar hernias, slipped discs (lumbar), sprains, and muscle tears including the biceps while using an supinated/pronated grip. The vast majority of injuries happen due to poor technique which puts the body in a compromised position to efficiently lift the weight; so the lifter will forgo form and tries to muscle the weight up. Even with perfect technique one could still sustain injuries due to muscle imbalances and inflexible muscles. The most common injury that is not associated with improper technique is bicep tears in the hand that is supinated with the alternated grip.

io856

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 07:31:52 PM »
I got injured in the squat after neglecting the deadlift for about a month due to laziness and justifying it through labelling as as a "dangerous" exercise... is there a connection there?