Author Topic: Pumping sets for arms  (Read 4315 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Pumping sets for arms
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »
I recently read a brief article by Rick Wayne saying that he and some other old time BBers used to hit their arms hard 1-2 times per week and the other days they would pick 1 tricep and bicep exercise, use moderate weight, and do 3 sets of 10 reps.  What do you guys think about that?
Squishy face retard

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Pumping sets for arms
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
people still do that. to bring up ur arms some people do  a tris exerise after a doing chest and one bis movement after backghe goal is to get some blood in the arms. than train arms on arms day as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
It probably does work for the right people depending on things like individual training volume, intensity, and recovery time.

I believed in the benefits of this protocol so much that I tried it for several months (a few years back) and ended up with pretty intense elbow problems.

My best results now come with training each body part, directly, once every 7 days using high volume & intensity.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »
Twice a week is the default, the one most proven to be the most effective by the most number of top guys over the decades. Trial and error up or down from that is the way to find out, while at other times also adjusting other variables back and forth such as length of each workout.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:23:03 PM »
i actually read where the great rick wayne would perform concentration curls several times throughout the course of a week......but with moderate weight and he focused on the squeezing and the tension.

i think all these gents have changed their routines and systems and philosphies at different points in their career.

one thing is for sure.......rick wayne had some of the best arms EVER

MEANING TODAY OR EVEN 35 YEARS AGO......HE WAS THAT GOOD.....it was a shame he didn't have a longer competitive career. he was a solid bodybuilder.

right up there with the best of all time. reminds me very much of shawn ray!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
for me personally, i like to work arms twice a week and just switch the exercises around a bit.

maybe standing ez bar curls for 2 sets.......preacher curls for 2 sets......hammer curls for 2 sets and a nice set of concentration curls for one set of 20 reps or so.

then after 3-4 days of rest

come back and do a workout of machine preachers.......hammer curls with a cable(rope) and finish with seated db curls.

nothing fancy......just switch the exercises around and keep the body guessing.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »

one thing is for sure.......rick wayne had some of the best arms EVER

MEANING TODAY OR EVEN 35 YEARS AGO......HE WAS THAT GOOD

In 1970 I remember seeing a couple of forgotten ensemble shots of top BBs that included Wayne. This was one of them, shot i believe in NYC with Oliva there but inexplicably left out of it no doubt thanks to uncle joe. This was so long ago that Draper and the newcomer were friendly rivals at the top of the totem pole.

The most striking thing in those pics then and now were Wayne's arms-detail and vascularity from the future, not that far away from today's but this was 40 years ago. Clearly some of the best arms of the 60s along with Scott, Oliva, Ortiz, Sipes, etc.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
great picture, pumpster!!! thanks a million!!!

Rick's arms look to be on par with any bodybuilder past or present!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
people still do that. to bring up ur arms some people do  a tris exerise after a doing chest and one bis movement after backghe goal is to get some blood in the arms. than train arms on arms day as well.

I do tris after the chest just for the pump...... and also i hit them HARD only when i do arms.

bis only once a week.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »
I do tris after the chest just for the pump...... and also i hit them HARD only when i do arms.

bis only once a week.

Fine, that's what you do but have you ever tried other things and compared?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
Fine, that's what you do but have you ever tried other things and compared?

like what? i dont have any choices.

My tris lack the "hang" from the side, they are flat. My bis are like lemons thank god.  ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 03:05:55 AM »
i tend to do this at home... nothing compliacated but i like pumping up my arms 1-2 times per week outside of the gym... not enough work to fatigue them, just enough to get blood into them

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
I've been doing dips exclusively for triceps since my training style has changed and I jacked up my elbow. Hopefully I can build a bigger sets of triceps with these.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
I've been doing dips exclusively for triceps since my training style has changed and I jacked up my elbow.

Exactly what i've warned against here like forever. I'm the only one who has mentioned this. Any dips that are done are far less dangerous and more effective when emphasizing the lower 1/2 or 2/3s of the ROM. Problems happen with greater greater arm and shoulder flections during this and other pressing motions.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Exactly what i've warned against here like forever. I'm the only one who has mentioned this. Any dips that are done are far less dangerous and more effective when emphasizing the lower 1/2 or 2/3s of the ROM. Problems happen with greater greater arm and shoulder flections during this and other pressing motions.
I think I need to clarify.  I have been doing dips because they are the only thing that has not aggravated the elbow.  I was doing straight bar skullcrushers and jacked up the elbow.  It's starting to go away but I'll wait a week or two more before trying extensions again.
Squishy face retard

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »
I think I need to clarify.  I have been doing dips because they are the only thing that has not aggravated the elbow.  I was doing straight bar skullcrushers and jacked up the elbow.  It's starting to go away but I'll wait a week or two more before trying extensions again.

I know the jacked elbow thing well...

I always warm my elbows up before incline extensions with roped cable pushdowms, and us a curling bar for the extensions....

big difference when there's no pain..

Alex23

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »
Good thread!

Everyone is different; but in the quest to bring my arms up, years of experience brought me to this:

Chest - light Tris
Back - light Bis
Legs
Off (optional)
Shoulders
Heavy Arms
Off

Post = EDITED BY PUMPSTER: Wow, pretty fucked up  :-\

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
one o two pumping sets at the end of my workouts, with maybe a few isolatioon/pre exhaust pumping sets before the heavy stuff and scattered inbetween some heavy sets.

for example=

one arm dumbell over head extension 30lbs 10 reps each arm 2 sets

two hand one dumbell over head tricep extension 100lbs 10 reps 130lbs 10 reps 130lbs 10 reps

one arm dumbell over head extension 30lbs 10 reps each arm 1 set

seated overhead ez curl bar skull crushers nickel per side 10 reps nickel +10lb per side 10 reps nickel plus 2 10's per side 10 reps

v bar pushdowns half stack 5 reps 3/4 stack 5 reps full stack 8 reps half stack 20 reps

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
Dynamic Training Philosophies are key.

Dogma is dead.

Ironically, so is Mike... and his other brother "Darryl"  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
A lot of BB'ers will have an extra set of weight  at home. Getting in a arm pump between regular gym sessions. Not just the arms but the calves and abs have been worked this way.

The trick is not to overtax the bicep/triceps, but just go for a light pump. Want to take advantage of all the amino acids, hormones and other muscle building elements floating around most BB'ers blood stream. A light pump brings in more of that blood supply, feeding a muscle, on off training days. This can equal muscle growth.

Here is what some of the old timers used...or what I had been told: Can take one bicep and one tricep exercise (prefer an isolation movement) of 10 to 12 reps. Try one or two SS's, at the most. Can do this once or twice a day, with an 8hr or more rest between, on off days. But no more than twice a week on off split days. Remember only a very, very light pump with light weights. Never ever want to approach anything heavy in weight or effort. Just want blood in the arms more than usual. Do your regular arm work on the arm days. Does this work...do not know. But some may check it out and see what happens. I know that the all day arm (or calf) program work seems to work for some.

A death blow to any type program like this is going to the point of failure. Do not want to have any kind of effort that can overtax the CNS. Recovery will be of prime importance. This can hold true for regular arm work also.Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
I know that the all day arm (or calf) program work seems to work for some.

I remember reading about that in magazines years ago (when I actually bought bb mags).

I’ve always speculated that those “all day” workouts produced the results they did from the severe inflammation and prolonged pump that the protocol inflicted.
But I was always cynical of the permanent results/growth it would yield.

I like the idea of doing inter-workout pump sets. The theory seems sound, and I may give it a try.
What do you think about applying any of the topical creams like BioFreeze and Bengay? I wonder if they would have a similar effect due to the way they draw blood to the applied area.

I’ve known a few guys who employed this principle by applying the ointment to targeted muscles just before a workout.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Yes, if anyone would do an all day program (some do for calves and delts) than wear a heavier long sleeve sweat shirt and/or wrapped the arms up so the heat and blood can be drawn there. If you use a wrap of any kind, than keep it loose if using a heat rub, lotion, etc. Do not want even a mild skin burn.

The arm gin seems to stay with most guy's. Something like a 1/16 to 1/8 increase on the average.  Do that style progam every 3 tp 4 months, or so, and that gain can become more impressive. 1/8 four time a year is 1/2 inch..not bad for 80% of the guy's here. Some guy's make the mistake of going to failure during a one day thing, big mistake. Regresses pogress because of an over worked CNS.

Need study on this type of one day program before starting. Lot's of other elements are included like special amino's, supplements, etc. Search time if interested. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 11:36:48 AM »
Do that style progam every 3 tp 4 months, or so, and that gain can become more impressive. 1/8 four time a year is 1/2 inch..not bad for 80% of the guy's here.

Sh!t, I'll take it!
 :)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
Good thread!

Everyone is different; but in the quest to bring my arms up, years of experience brought me to this:

Chest - light Tris
Back - light Bis
Legs
Off (optional)
Shoulders
Heavy Arms
Off

Post = EDITED BY PUMPSTER: Wow, pretty fucked up  :-\

thats great.

Alex23

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
thats great.

Wow, all the good info I posted deleted.

Mods what happened?