Author Topic: Coulter: Cops aren't pulling over enough black people  (Read 9563 times)

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Coulter: Cops aren't pulling over enough black people
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »
Finally we are in agreement. The cop made a mistake. A HUGE one that cost an innocent man his life.
The only saving grace to be found in that video is the fact that the one officer ducked.
However, he was not the one who opened fire. Too much adrenaline clouds the judgement.
I'm not arguing this guy was singled out for abuse, ...simply that this was one guy who police didn't fail to stop.  :'(
Personally, I would've preferred they send him a summons in the mail, that's far more preferable than this outcome.

As an aside though, it would be interesting to conduct a social experient where people got to be a cop for a day.
Not a real cop who goes out on patrol, ...just one who dons the uniform and utility belt. I think it would be quite revealing to see the immediate transformation that occurs. As a cop, I'd be embarrassed as heck to witness that, and to understand society's true perception of cops, as they mimick them in every way.

The folks on here are giving you evidence that the shooting was not a mistake under the circumstance that was shown in the video. Why do you insists that it was? Did the man deserve to die? Of course not, but in the frame of reference of the situation which we all witnessed, the cops had every right to open fire.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »
The folks on here are giving you evidence that the shooting was not a mistake under the circumstance that was shown in the video. Why do you insists that it was? Did the man deserve to die? Of course not, but in the frame of reference of the situation which we all witnessed, the cops had every right to open fire.

An understandable mistake, is still a mistake. What part of that don't YOU get?
w

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »

Seriously, jag, hindsight is 20/20, like many have pointed out.  This is a terrible example of police messing up, there are plenty of other incidents. 

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
Who, besides you, is calling the shooting an understandable mistake?  It seems almost everyone is justifying the shooting.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
I would have liked to see the cops use a taser in that situation as well, on the other hand, we may only have 1 life and cops can't take chances making mistakes in extreme situations with unstable people.  Criminals act irrationally and shoot to kill.  Its a reality of what they face every day.  I have several good friends that work in the Cleveland City districts.  The shit they have to deal with is crazy, stories of how f'ed up people are....ridiculous.  Most of them have been shot at on multiple occasions.

What if it were a gun and they chose not to act as aggressively, one of the cops could have died.  What if that guy had a gun and was entering the store...potentially putting others in harm's way.  It appears the officers could have wounded the criminal instead but if I were in that situation, I can't say I wouldn't have fired on him either.

I think the greater issue is cultural, its a lack of common sense education and respect for others.  Too many people (particularly the poor and also young minorities in the US) are not taught by their parents and elders how to respond reasonably to the police.  You don't run from the cops pointing anything at them, that should be obvious.  As much as there needs to be a conversation about profiling, there needs to be a conversation on how people handle themselves when confronted by police.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
I would have liked to see the cops use a taser in that situation as well, on the other hand, we may only have 1 life and cops can't take chances making mistakes in extreme situations with unstable people.  Criminals act irrationally and shoot to kill.  Its a reality of what they face every day.  I have several good friends that work in the Cleveland City districts.  The shit they have to deal with is crazy, stories of how f'ed up people are....ridiculous.  Most of them have been shot at on multiple occasions.

What if it were a gun and they chose not to act as aggressively, one of the cops could have died.  What if that guy had a gun and was entering the store...potentially putting others in harm's way.  It appears the officers could have wounded the criminal instead but if I were in that situation, I can't say I wouldn't have fired on him either.

I think the greater issue is cultural, its a lack of common sense education and respect for others.  Too many people (particularly the poor and also young minorities in the US) are not taught by their parents and elders how to respond reasonably to the police.  You don't run from the cops pointing anything at them, that should be obvious.  As much as there needs to be a conversation about profiling, there needs to be a conversation on how people handle themselves when confronted by police.
I totally agree with that and i think if the situation had gone on a little longer this might have happend but i think it all unfolded so quickly and was the reason a taser was not used.

I totally agree on that point as well which is why we cannot have a actual conversation about race in america b/c neither side wants to hear or understand the other sides point of views.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 08:58:47 AM »
YOUR MISSING THE PINT,,,cops are not suppose do anything when smoeone points something at them,,,in fact freeze was suppose to on the cop itself not the suspect cops have protecitve armor on their bodies they protect citizen even if citizen is shooting them only missing is face sheidl

wrong.  if they feel like it'd warranted they are too shoot.  Also if they feel the guy is tweaking and may have a weapon they they are allowed to take him out.  Cops are also allowed to shoot people in the back depending on the circumstance.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »

You've got to be kidding me? One of the biggest and most often heard conversations in Black households in America IS how to respond to police. Mothers instill that info into their sons from the time they can crawl.

Ask any Black man on here if he didn't have that conversation at one point.
w

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
You've got to be kidding me? One of the biggest and most often heard conversations in Black households in America IS how to respond to police. Mothers instill that info into their sons from the time they can crawl.

Why do they fuck it up so much then jag? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

why do so many of them not listen then?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

Yet, you have a Black Harvard Scholar setting a great example.

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »

I smell bullshit.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
I guarantee this is how the bitch really is.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »
bump till later

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »

As an aside though, it would be interesting to conduct a social experient where people got to be a cop for a day.
Not a real cop who goes out on patrol, ...just one who dons the uniform and utility belt. I think it would be quite revealing to see the immediate transformation that occurs. As a cop, I'd be embarrassed as heck to witness that, and to understand society's true perception of cops, as they mimick them in every way.

There is no magical transformation that occurs.  People's perception of you change.  You get random people that like cops and want to have a long drawn out conversation with you and you get other people that can't get away from you fast enough.

We have several citizen/student police academy's that are open for the public to see the city they way a cop does and it's really revealing.  They get to do a short version of the police academy, including the fun stuff like emergency driving, defensive tactics, shooting, and ride alongs with cops.  Of the hundreds that have attended the academy over the years, I've never heard a single negative remark.  Most gain a huge amount of respect for what exactly goes into the job and are way MORE likely to work with the police to help make their neighborhoods safer.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »
why do so many of them not listen then?
bump for a response jag...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
There is no magical transformation that occurs.  People's perception of you change.  You get random people that like cops and want to have a long drawn out conversation with you and you get other people that can't get away from you fast enough.

We have several citizen/student police academy's that are open for the public to see the city they way a cop does and it's really revealing.  They get to do a short version of the police academy, including the fun stuff like emergency driving, defensive tactics, shooting, and ride alongs with cops.  Of the hundreds that have attended the academy over the years, I've never heard a single negative remark.  Most gain a huge amount of respect for what exactly goes into the job and are way MORE likely to work with the police to help make their neighborhoods safer.

That's a little closer to actually walking a mile in a man's shoes.

I find it interesting to see what happens to people when you throw a uniform and utility belt onto them, and tell them to act like a cop. I think most cops would cringe in embarrassment to see how people behave then. They'd realize how they were being perceived... rightly or wrongly, ...that's the perception. And stupid arrogant, corrupt cops like the ones shown in the "Police Behaving Badly thread" only re-inforce that impression.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »
bump for a response jag...

There's only so much BS and unfair treatment one can take before one says F-You!
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
There's only so much BS and unfair treatment one can take before one says F-You!
exactly how was the one guy who got shot in 8 times unfairly treated? LOL jag you deny that a good portion incidents with police involving AA they suspects didnt act in a way in accordance to what they where taught?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
exactly how was the one guy who got shot in 8 times unfairly treated? LOL jag you deny that a good portion incidents with police involving AA they suspects didnt act in a way in accordance to what they where taught?

First of all, there is no audio on that tape. For all we know he could have been saying "chill the f out, I'm talking on the phone"

In any event, I'm not about to claim a good portion of incidents involving AA suspects ended badly because supposed suspects didn't do as they were taught. I'm more prone to believe alot of incidents end badly because police do not do as they have been taught.

The BART shooting is an excellent example. Please tell me where in the handbook does it say you pull out a gun and shoot the guy who is face down on the floor and handcuffed in the back?

Please tell me where in the police handbook, does it require police to taze a 16 year old boy with a broken back who has just fallen off a highway overpass 19 times for failing to obey the officers commands to stand up?

Please tell me where in the police handbook it states that a police officer should take the word of an unreliable snitch who he is threatening, then lie to a judge claiming to have made a drug buy at the residence, in order to get a no knock warrant, so he can burst into the home of an innocent 92 year old granny, and blow her brains out?

Where in the manual does it say a cop should beat a 60 year old man, who is not only in a wheelchair, but cuffed to the wheelchair, in a hospital?

Where does it say a cop should choke out a 14 year old kid who wasn't quick enough, ...or randomly beat a 49 year old man on a street corner, ...or rape a 14 year old runaway, or rape a woman in the police station. I don't need a police manual to know these things aren't in it.

You are either free citizens of a free republic with rights guaranteed under the constitution,
...or you are plebes offering obsequious deference to storm troopers in a fascist military police state. Which is it?
w

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
I find it interesting to see what happens to people when you throw a uniform and utility belt onto them, and tell them to act like a cop.

What you're not getting is that there is no "acting like a cop" that happens.  Every cop is a person that makes decisions based on their life experiences.  Some cops are dumb, some are smart, some are good with people, some are arrogant pricks.  They were dumb, smart, good with people or pricks before they had a badge though.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
First of all, there is no audio on that tape. For all we know he could have been saying "chill the f out, I'm talking on the phone"
In any event, I'm not about to claim a good portion of incidents involving AA suspects ended badly because supposed suspects didn't do as they were taught. I'm more prone to believe alot of incidents end badly because police do not do as they have been taught.

The BART shooting is an excellent example. Please tell me where in the handbook does it say you pull out a gun and shoot the guy who is face down on the floor and handcuffed in the back?

Please tell me where in the police handbook, does it require police to taze a 16 year old boy with a broken back who has just fallen off a highway overpass 19 times for failing to obey the officers commands to stand up?

Please tell me where in the police handbook it states that a police officer should take the word of an unreliable snitch who he is threatening, then lie to a judge claiming to have made a drug buy at the residence, in order to get a no knock warrant, so he can burst into the home of an innocent 92 year old granny, and blow her brains out?

Where in the manual does it say a cop should beat a 60 year old man, who is not only in a wheelchair, but cuffed to the wheelchair, in a hospital?

Where does it say a cop should choke out a 14 year old kid who wasn't quick enough, ...or randomly beat a 49 year old man on a street corner, ...or rape a 14 year old runaway, or rape a woman in the police station. I don't need a police manual to know these things aren't in it.

You are either free citizens of a free republic with rights guaranteed under the constitution,
...or you are plebes offering obsequious deference to storm troopers in a fascist military police state. Which is it?
so thats what your taught? if your on the phone its ok to push a police man away and walk away from them? LOL fact is if he had done what he was taught he would still be alive jag...your exceptions to the rule only serve to prove my point jag...

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »

Straw man alert! Straw man alert!

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
I don't think the one cop was ducking to make the shoot look good for the camera.

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »
so thats what your taught? if your on the phone its ok to push a police man away and walk away from them? LOL fact is if he had done what he was taught he would still be alive jag...your exceptions to the rule only serve to prove my point jag...
Why is it that Jag believes you have a right to be a total dick to the cops and that they have to practice restraint? I really question the type of 'free' society that she wants to live in.