Author Topic: workout routine  (Read 880 times)

tstmaniac

• Getbig IV
workout routine
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »
Any suggestions to a workout routine after just coming off? I'd like to hear what some of you vets have to say...I gotta keep changing it up...thanks in advance

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: workout routine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
If you've never tried it, give DC training a try.

I was skeptical of it a little bit for a long time but once I gave it a try I really liked it.

There's nothing easy about it at all. I've only done one cycle of DC training but will definitely do it again in the future.

tstmaniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »
Dc training? Is this consist of moderate volume and high intensity?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »
Dc training? Is this consist of moderate volume and high intensity?

High Intensity.

Workouts are broken down into 2 sections.

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, Back Thickness
Day 2: Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads

For each body part you perform one exercise and one specific stretch goes with each exercise...the stretch is very, very important.

Lifts are done primarily 1 of 2 ways:
Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, and Biceps are performed as follows, I'll use Flat bench as an example:

Obviously you'll want to do one or 2 light warm-up sets. After that....
*Pick a weight that you can get appx 10 reps with, rep 10 being absolute failure.
*Rack the weight, count to 25 and lift again to absolute failure
*Rack the weight, count to 25 and lift again to absolute failure
*At the end of your 3 set of this big set, do not rack the weight, do a controlled negative for a count of 30. Odds are you will not be able to control the weight for the full 30 count the first few times you do this.
Note: For total reps in the 3 sets, you do not want to get more than 15 reps total. If you can do more than 15 total, next time go up in weight.
*Imediatly after your negative, perform the stretch for that body part. For chest exercises, either on a flat or incline bench, perform 1 DB Fly and hold it in the open position for a full 30 count.

Exercises for Hamstrings, Quads and Back Thickness are performed by using what is called a Widow Maker set. I'll use Squats as an example:

*Warm-Up
*Pick a weight you can perform 6-8 reps to absolute failure
*Rest for 5 minutes
*Drop the weight down appx 30% and perform 20-30 reps...if you get more than 30 reps, go up in weight next time
*Perform the stretch for that body part.

Forearms are performed using one straight set of 15 reps. Slow and controlled, 15 reps should be absolute failure

Calves: From the top/up/contracted position, lower the weight down for an 8 count. It should take a full 8 count to get to the bottom. Once at the bottom, hold for a full 5 count and repeat. Aim for 12-15 reps. 1 set

*There is no stretch for calves and forearms

So that's the basic short version of how it's done. What most people do is one of two things. They will lift 3x per wk, 2 days focus on upper body, 1 on lower, the next wk 2 days lower, 1 upper.

The other option and this was the one I preferred: 4 days of lifting per wk. 2 for lower, 2 for upper, one day of rest after the first 2 days, 2 days of rest after the next two days and repeat.

Here's how you design your workouts:

For day one, as said you pick one exercise for each body part, the next time you do day one pick a different exercise for each body part, on day 3 again you pick another exercise for each body part. So you now have 3 set workouts for day one. Keep the exercises the same rotating between the 3 various days. For example, the first time you do chest you might do flat bench, the next time incline bench, the third time maybe a hammer strength press. After that, you start the rotation again with flat bench and so on. Day 2 is performed the same way.

A must, you have to keep a log. If on day one you lifted 100lbs on flat bench for 10 reps, then got 2 on the 2nd part of the set and 1 on the 3rd part, right it down so that next time you can see how much you have improved and that way you can also keep track of when it's time to go up in weight.

Last thing, you will only be using compound lifts for this routine. Doing things like cables and isolating movements are not what you're after here. Most people stay on this routine for 8-12wks, then take a full wk off from lifting. Once your break is over, go back to a more standard lifting routine. You'll be very surprised as to how much stronger you are and you'll notice a much welcomed spurt of growth.

tstmaniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
thanks aj