Author Topic: Shawn Ray VS. Dexter Jackson  (Read 85813 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: Shawn Ray VS. Dexter Jackson
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2010, 05:15:25 AM »
They used to call Dexter Jackson a poor man's Shawn Ray.

My question to you guy is in their respective prime, who was better and why?

Discuss...

I'm going with Shawn Ray.

Why? His physique speaks for itself.

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
the lighting back then made everyone look good, plus the old cameras.. now they have shit lighting, a lot of dark tan & higher quality cameras that make them look worse

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
the lighting back then made everyone look good, plus the old cameras.. now they have shit lighting, a lot of dark tan & higher quality cameras that make them look worse

yeah because camera technology hasn't improved by leaps & bounds with the introduction of digital cameras  ::) kid put some thought into your posts

Aerian

• Getbig IV
  • "Yumm yumm give me some"
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
yeah because camera technology hasn't improved by leaps & bounds with the introduction of digital cameras  ::) kid put some thought into your posts

I think what he meant was that the extreme lack of detail, that cameras back then COULD NOT GET, helped give the illusion of a better phesique due to lighting, shadows, etc.

Now, our cameras are much better and it gets even more detailed then before, which can make some guys not look as good.
Wait for it....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
its all irrelevant because shawn lost when he was not at his peak.

I am sure if you look at ronnie's contest record, there are people that beat him in the 90's that he never faced as mr.O..hell, Labrada is one of them. he beat Ronnie in 92, and never faced Ronnie again..

so according to your logic, Labrada owns ronnie. ::)

which makes no sense.

you don't seem to understand that if we are comparing peak to peak physiques, shawn owns labrada.

and dex.

who won what and when has nothing to do with this fact..

do you understand?  ::)

Please!!! The simple fact is, the only reason you're claiming that Ray "peaked" in '93 and '94, is because those are THE ONLY TWO TIMES RAY didn't lose to Labrada (of course, Labrada was NOT at the '94 Olympia).

Again, you don't "own" anybody that you've only beaten ONCE. And your repeated excuses for Ray's repeated LOSSES to Labrada simply ring hollow.

Yep, that's REAL DOMINANCE there, Ray taking over FIVE years to finally "peak" and beat someone 15-20 lbs SMALLER than himself!!!!

Of course, the entire point of bringing up Labrada was (and is) that, if Ray can barely beat someone SMALLER than himself, it's hardly a stretch to put someone like Dexter Jackson ahead of him, ESPECIALLY considering that Jackson has a Sandow and Ray does not.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
i think dexter is better

E
E

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
After listening to this Tesla album, it makes me realize how shitty current music is today.

big14

• Getbig III
  • Big muscles are so cool
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
Shawns lack of delts hurt him.
When relaxed Dex gut hang out due to
all his 30lbs extra mass.
Offseason fat Shawn looked horrible but Dex still
looked pretty good when he was fat.
B

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
Shawn was great, but he didn't have the freaky look and was too small.

At their best, Dex would outmuscle him and beat him in spite of having an inferior structure and flaws, same way Ronnie and Dorian beat guys like Flex and Shawn. Dex is too big and muscular for Shawn to handle, not to mention he has a far better back than Ray ever had.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »

At their best, Dex would outmuscle him and beat him in spite of having an inferior structure and flaws, same way Ronnie and Dorian beat guys like Flex and Shawn. Dex is too big and muscular for Shawn to handle, not to mention he has a far better back than Ray ever had.
X2

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
Shawns lack of delts hurt him.
When relaxed Dex gut hang out due to
all his 30lbs extra mass.
Offseason fat Shawn looked horrible but Dex still
looked pretty good when he was fat.

Dexter didnt weigh 30lbs more than Shawn
Hope this helps

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
Shawn wins
looks better  dexter has a weird midsection narrow at the top and gets wider at the bottom as if inverted
shawn wins by a country mile for pure physique
choice is an illusion

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »

True dat

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
Lee Labrada is the Steve Reeves of his time albeit shorter , Shawn Ray was a mini-mass monster with a very nice physique as far as classic physiques Ray doesn't compare to Labrada not in structure not in balance & proportion or clavicle width

When I think of classical physiques Steve Reeves , Frank Zane , Bob Paris , Lee Labrada , Rory Leidlemeyer etc NOT Shawn Ray he doesn't meet the Greek Ideal of calves , arms and neck all the same size , he doesn't have wide clavicles , he doesn't have a balanced upper & lower body , Shawn has short legs , high calves a longish torso , heavyweights arms , lightweights torso he has way to many structural issues to be compared in a classic sense as the same as the above mentioned , which is why I believe Flex Magazine didn't have him close to many of the above mentioned in their list of the most aesthetic physiques

Labrada left in 1995 , his last contest was the Arnold , Ray really never improved over his career other than just coming in a tad sharper , he won the nationals at 196lbs and his best showings he was around 205 pounds not much of an improvement , he did try to play the size game by competing at 215 pounds and his razor sharp conditioning suffered for it , I recall him bitching that the judges said he needed more size but was punished for it ( because he wasn't as sharp )

Shawn and Dexter are more closely related in physique types and it's pretty clear Dexter would beat him , Dexter carries more mass a lot more , now this alone isn't always a given hence why Shawn beat much heavier men however Dexter has more mass with equal if not better conditioning so that extra mass edges Dexter ahead in muscular bulk over Shawn , balance & proportion ...neither of them are Bob Paris in this department but Dexter has advantages Shawn doesn't especially in width , back width and clavicle width which would edge out Shawn in both standing relaxed poses and Dexter beats him in the 1/4 turns , Dex just accumulates more mandatories and seeing all rounds are physique rounds Dexter's meets the criteria better

Shawn was a excellent bodybuilder but people fluff him up to something much more than he was

Great post ND.

I fully agree with your comparison and of Labrada carrying the torch from Reeves to Zane to Paris, then Lee, and others like Rory.

Labrada was one of the best ever. Unfortunately too short to stand next to Haney, and outmassed in Yates' time.

as far as Dex vs Shawn, not gonna come up with excuses, Dex uses this, Ray didnt do gh, slin, etc. Fact is, Ray almost did it few times, Dex actually is a Mr O!

But, preference wise, I prefer Ray's physique(no homo)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »
Shawn wins
looks better  dexter has a weird midsection narrow at the top and gets wider at the bottom as if inverted
shawn wins by a country mile for pure physique

yup. but you have the usual guy denial.. ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Alex Ardenti

• Expert
  • Getbig II
  • www.ardentifilms.com www.bodybuildingFLIX.com
« Reply #490 on: February 07, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
bodybuildingFLIX.com

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #491 on: February 07, 2010, 02:40:47 PM »

Actually about the cameras it's the opposite.  I can't imagine how much better some of the pros of the 90's would have looked with digital photography.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #492 on: February 07, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Actually about the cameras it's the opposite.  I can't imagine how much better some of the pros of the 90's would have looked with digital photography.

exactly camera technology has improved by leaps & bounds

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #493 on: February 07, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »

I lot of you people confuse muscle with oil. Dexter is sporting more oil then Ray, but little else.

Ray had a quality to his physique that Dexter simply does not have.

M!

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
How about Melvin vs Mike Ashley?
((-::

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
More like Melvin vs. Flex, or Melvin vs Brian Buchanan, or Melvin vs Chris Cormier. The first two because Melvin is a Flex/Brian clone. Chris Cormier because both have under rated.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Mike Ashley is he still around?