Author Topic: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?  (Read 48777 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
How do fossils test our faith  ???

It's a common explanation by Christians why there are fossils that are millions are years old. Apparently he is testing their faith but placing them there.
I hate the State.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
It's a common explanation by Christians why there are fossils that are millions are years old. Apparently he is testing their faith but placing them there.

Thanks D

So for that to be "pwnage" ;D would it include these assumptions:

1. That the bible states that the earth itself is only ~6000 years old.  (It doesn't)
2. That people that subscribe to the thought that the earth and life are millions of years old have faith in what they have read/been taught about carbon dating and the geological column. 

?

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »
Not really.  Complete myth.  
Take it from Pat Tillman`s brother.  Pwning Mccain and other religious schmucks at his brother`s funeral:

How does the brother apply to makaveli's post?  Or are you saying it applies to Pat Tillman himself?
R

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
WHat in the FUck is that >?
that's the Bishop in Atlanta thinking about Jamie Curtis while he's praying

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
Thanks D!  

So for that to be "pwnage" ;D would it include these assumptions:

1. That the bible states that the earth itself is only ~6000 years old.  (It doesn't)
2. That people that subscribe to the thought that the earth and life are millions of years old have faith in what they have read/been taught about carbon dating and the geological column.  

?

Carbon dating is not based on faith. Nor are the DOZENS of other dating systems used in science. That is just pure ignorance. You don't really believe that millions of scientists have over the decades developed multiple dating systems based on faith do you? :-\
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »
How does the brother apply to makaveli's post?  Or are you saying it applies to Pat Tillman himself?

It applies to Tillman himself as he is described as not being religious.
I hate the State.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
It applies to Tillman himself as he is described as not being religious.

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »

"....a common explanation by Christians....."

Just not true friend.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »
LOL OF course you felt the holy spirit bro! The bible says god is everywhere man. It would be weird to not feel the jesus in the air!

I don't know about you, BUT I'M EXCITED ABOUT JESUS! Can I get a hallelujah!

James, I'm sorry to say, but at this point in your life you can't understand the meaning of his post.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
James, I'm sorry to say, but at this point in your life you can't understand the meaning of his post.

Are you a Christian fanatic now Man? ???
I hate the State.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
Are you a Christian fanatic now Man? ???

Being a believer in Christ doesn't necesitate fanaticism.   I believe in Christ, I believe in the cross and I'm a Christian...no more, no less. 

I'm not afraid to express what I believe in a mild-mannered, tactful way.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
Again, atheists are just as delusional and arrogant as believers.....neither side can prove a godamn thing.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Again, atheists are just as delusional and arrogant as believers.....neither side can prove a godamn thing.

Honestly, I don't find that many arrogant atheists.....most are well-educated, highly-informed people searching for answers.  Unfortunately, I do see many arrogant believers who don't possess a quarter of the knowledge their non-believing counterparts possess.  This is something I'm attempting to rectify in my own life.  In this age of lightning fast knowledge and communication you can't present a convincing position unless you can really back up your position.  Nonbelievers often want to skip the message of Christ and go right into the most difficult questions of physics and microbiology that neither they or the believers they're confronting can answer.  We all regurgitate what others have said, but few take the time to personally evaluate both sides of the equation in a truly honest way....not all are like this, but unfortunately the majority are (both believers and nonbelievers alike).

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
what i don't get about Atheists is that they make a cause that is based on not believing in something.

Isn't that kinda like making a whole cause about not believing that Barney the Dinosaur doesn't exist in real life?

I mean, I know that Barney is just a character but I don't go make a big deal about it or join some sort of cause to support that- it's just something I accept and don't even think of ever.

Why do Atheists make such a big deal about how they don't believe in God then?  If he/she/it doesn't exist then why pay it any mind?

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
Honestly, I don't find that many arrogant atheists.....most are well-educated, highly-informed people searching for answers.  Unfortunately, I do see many arrogant believers who don't possess a quarter of the knowledge their non-believing counterparts possess.  This is something I'm attempting to rectify in my own life.  In this age of lightning fast knowledge and communication you can't present a convincing position unless you can really back up your position.  Nonbelievers often want to skip the message of Christ and go right into the most difficult questions of physics and microbiology that neither they or the believers they're confronting can answer.  We all regurgitate what others have said, but few take the time to personally evaluate both sides of the equation in a truly honest way....not all are like this, but unfortunately the majority are (both believers and nonbelievers alike).
Neither side can prove 100% whether there is or is'nt a god. To claim either side requires a certain amount of delusionality and arrogance. Period. What's so godamn hard to understand about that?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:23 PM »
what i don't get about Atheists is that they make a cause that is based on not believing in something.

Isn't that kinda like making a whole cause about not believing that Barney the Dinosaur doesn't exist in real life?

I mean, I know that Barney is just a character but I don't go make a big deal about it or join some sort of cause to support that- it's just something I accept and don't even think of ever.

Why do Atheists make such a big deal about how they don't believe in God then?  If he/she/it doesn't exist then why pay it any mind?

Look at your country man.
I hate the State.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »

Do you really want a person of power(POTUS, etc) making decisions that directly effect you and me based on what some magical voice in the sky tells them to do?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »

I've wondered some of these same things.  I've spoken with atheists that are highly offended by religion, but this world is heavily favored by non-believing people, symbols and cultures.  It's far easier for an atheist to ignore believers than believers to ignore nonbelievers, but there in lies the believer's responsibility.....to communicate to others about what they belief and how others can also share in that belief.  Look at cable television, it's 98% secular and 2% religious.....same thing with libraries and the world of music....just a few example.  It's far easier for an atheist to turn a deaf ear or blind eye than a believer.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
Neither side can prove 100% whether there is or is'nt a god. To claim either side requires a certain amount of delusionality and arrogance. Period. What's so godamn hard to understand about that?

Atheists don't disprove god. We view what has been proposed through various religions as being unsubstantiated. It's not that hard to understand.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
Atheists don't disprove god. We view what has been proposed through various religions as being unsubstantiated. It's not that hard to understand.
That would make you an agnostic...just like me. You, as I, have no problem with saying "I don't know" and neither does anyone else.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

I understand from a non-believer's perspective how it's simple to reach this conclusion, but as a believer I simply don't agree with the conclusion.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »
Do you really want a person of power(POTUS, etc) making decisions that directly effect you and me based on what some magical voice in the sky tells them to do?

okay, that would be the exception to what i stated...but, other than that what is the big deal if you DON'T believe in something.

again, I don't believe in Barney the dinosaur being a real person so i'm not gonna start a "not for profit" group to support that cause