Author Topic: Greatest Rock Drummer of all time  (Read 24317 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Re: Best drummer on earth??
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
that's why western music is most studied and glorified.

atonal takes a lot of thought.  but you can produce the same results with no thought.

that's my beef with atonal.

A progression of stacked fourths per se, may sound atonal to the untrained ear, but it isn't. Most jazz is usually based on a 7th chord progression as opposed to the usual triad progressions found in more conventional western music.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
A progression of stacked fourths per se, may sound atonal to the untrained ear, but it isn't. Most jazz is usually based on a 7th chord progression as opposed to the usual triad progressions found in more conventional western music.

we weren't refering to jazz

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
we weren't refering to jazz

Went back through the thread, my bad.

Yes, I agree with you on that one.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Steve Alford was a better drummer for Guns n Roses then Matt Sornum was.

Steve Alford played PG for the Indiana Hoosiers my drunken friend?  Are you referring to Steve Adler?   ;D   And I agree..... Sornum was too 1-2-3 by the numbers....  Adler gave them that early "live" feel on all their stuff, imo.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »
Steve Alford played PG for the Indiana Hoosiers my drunken friend?  Are you referring to Steve Adler?   ;D   And I agree..... Sornum was too 1-2-3 by the numbers....  Adler gave them that early "live" feel on all their stuff, imo.

Duh,yup ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »

Duh,yup ;D

Hated Alford for years.....Indiana knocked out the Heels in 83 in the NCAA's....should have been two in a row with Jordan dominating.....nerd-twink....

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
So many great drummers and picking one is like saying this chick is hotter than this one. IMO some of the best
prog rock- Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, that dude from Gentle Giant, Peart, Barrymore Barlow, Carl Palmer, Phil Erhardt
Rock- Moon, Bonham, Ward, Ian Paice, steve smith
Metal,Prog Metal- Vinne Paul, Rod Morganstein, Mike Portnoy, terry Bozzio Jeff Porcarro, simon philips, mike Giles, Nick DeVergillio,
Jazz/ Fusion/swing- Weckle, Colaiuta, Cobham, Roach, Gadd, Rich

Tons of more great ones but WFKs whos the best?
X

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
So many great drummers and picking one is like saying this chick is hotter than this one. IMO some of the best
prog rock- Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, that dude from Gentle Giant, Peart, Barrymore Barlow, Carl Palmer, Phil Erhardt
Metal,Prog Metal- Vinne Paul, Rod Morganstein, Mike Portnoy, terry Bozzio Jeff Porcarro, simon philips, mike Giles, Nick DeVergillio,

great list,,,some more larry mullen jr,cozy powell,carmine,vinnie appice,and at times yes peter criss.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2010, 07:12:05 AM »
has anybody said Stewart Copeland?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:31 AM »
has anybody said Stewart Copeland?

good call.....

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
You fellas who want to try and understand jazz music should read "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin

No shit, this is EXACTLY what happened with me in college. Professor read it with Charlie Parker or someone playing in the background, and I was absolutely hooked.

Parker is a good place to start if you don't really understand jazz. Or Louis Armstrong's early stuff. You can't just jump into some of the more avant garde Coletrane ("A Love Supreme") or Thelonious Monk and expect to enjoy it much.  

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
Plenty of great rock drummers out there, but the best rockers are still the ones just beating the hell outta jazz, like Bill Ward and John Bonham. Lotsa 8ths and jazzy ghost notes on the snare and hi-hat.

Listen to Matt Cameron on "Temple of the Dog" or Soundgarden's "Superunknown." Or Vinnie Appice on the first two Dio records. Both guys are just playing jazz on 11.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2010, 10:44:32 AM »
Mark Zonder is decent. Nothing flashy here, but it's got a cool groove.

With Fates W.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
Copeland is where it's at.

Bonham is badass.

Portnoy is all triggers and no feeling. Utterly pointless in many ways. Just like Petrucci's guitar work.

Tony Royster is disgustingly good, kind of like Cobham on steroids. Jay Z should just let him go nuts all the way through the set, at least that would improve the boringness of his rapping over the course of an hour or so set!

Weckle, Calleutta and Gadd must surely be the holy trinity of drumming however!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Ginger Baker
Mitch Mitchell

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
Copeland is where it's at.

Bonham is badass.

Portnoy is all triggers and no feeling. Utterly pointless in many ways. Just like Petrucci's guitar work.

Tony Royster is disgustingly good, kind of like Cobham on steroids. Jay Z should just let him go nuts all the way through the set, at least that would improve the boringness of his rapping over the course of an hour or so set!

Weckle, Calleutta and Gadd must surely be the holy trinity of drumming however!!!

QFT

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
Drumming here is cool, but who's watching the drummer............

Rod Majors

• Getbig II
  • Down's but not out
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
Tony Williams,Vinnie,Weckl,Chambers,Donati,Phillips,Sammy Watson,Steve Holmes,
Gary Husband,Elvin,Buddy...any givin night in LA a no name is playing for peanuts
that will blow your fucking minds..FACT!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »

Uhh... smoke on the water is essentially a progression of stacked 4th's and does not sound atonal whatsoever.

Agreed about jazz = 7th and lots more fucked up chords (dim. aug. etc)

as far as best drummer, Buddy Rich  makes almost everyone else look like lost children, the wrong gig guy is awesome! and Neil Peart is a pretty good drummer, modern amazing drummers? Mike Portnoy of course from Dream Theater..

problem is , just like with shred/guitar music..most of the best guys are novelty acts and couldn't write a song to save their life... guys like michael angelo, gary howe, even tony macalpine (who I think is amazing) same with drummers, some guys are just better off as novelty acts and can't really function in a band environment (they get bored playing simple stuff) and usually have issues interacting with other musicians.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »

Hands down Neil Peart - best drummer.  I have been to a lot of contests (including 4 Rush concerts), and he is incredible.  When he does his solo, no one leaves - it is just awesome.  Best part of a Rush concert.   Long live the Professor.

w8m8

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »

good post  :)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
John Blackwell is one of the greats.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Best drummer on earth??Great list but I would have to go with Buddy Rich!
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
Uhh... smoke on the water is essentially a progression of stacked 4th's and does not sound atonal whatsoever.

Chords are stacked 4ths, true. Depends on the progression though. I should have clarified this in my previous post.

SOTW progression is G - Bb - C ---> G minor/F major/Bridge is B Flat blah blah...which isn't exactly an atonal progression. Atonal music is devoid a central tonality.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
Not sure if he's been mentioned, but let's not forget Charlie Watts. He's solid. And for those making the jazz caveats, he's got that area covered, too.