Author Topic: Question for the cooks  (Read 4243 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Question for the cooks
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:42 AM »
How much of a difference in taste/quality would there be if you used fat-free half and half in place of heavy cream when the recipe calls for a cup or more of heavy cream?

Thanks!
R

newmom

Re: Question for the cooks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:57:37 AM »
honestly, I think it depends on the recipe. Tried to use fat free for lobster bisque..It wasn't very good

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
honestly, I think it depends on the recipe. Tried to use fat free for lobster bisque..It wasn't very good

What was different?  Did it have a much different taste or thickness?
R

newmom

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
What was different?  Did it have a much different taste or thickness?

Seemed more watery tasting and definately not as thick.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:11 AM »
Seemed more watery tasting and definately not as thick.

Was the taste similar? 
R

newmom

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
Was the taste similar? 

Nope, I dumped it out, well I picked out the lobstah meat first.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
I think you can do 1/2 & 1/2 without sacrificing much of anything.  Definitely not FF - but that goes for just about anything in cooking.  The lighter version of something usually works well, but not the FF.

Are you making a bisque or something?
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »
momma always used heavy cream... ;D good stuff

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »
I think you can do 1/2 & 1/2 without sacrificing much of anything.  Definitely not FF - but that goes for just about anything in cooking.  The lighter version of something usually works well, but not the FF.

Are you making a bisque or something?

That creamy chicken and wild rice soup has heavy cream (2 qts!)...and was reading a recipe today that has 1 cup of heavy cream...usually I don't make stuff that calls for that but thought if I could substitute w/o it tasting nasty I would try.
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
Would either of these recipes work?

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Creamy-Chicken--n--Wild-Rice-Soup

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-creamy-chicken-and-wild-rice-soup/dd8f8c01-7124-43ed-b408-dce697c5c634

on 2nd look  :-\ don't like the cans of "cream of" soup added  :-X

This looks good  :P

Holy crap  :o
nevermind
Creamy Chicken-Wild Rice Soup

Serving Size: 1 (468 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
Calories 584.3

Calories from Fat 193
    33%
Total Fat 21.5 g
    33%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g
    58%
Monounsaturated Fat 6.2 g
    31%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g
    9%
Trans Fat 0.0 g
    0%
Cholesterol 103.8 mg
    34%
Sodium 817.7 mg
    34%
Potassium 1035.9 mg
    29%
Magnesium 126.2 mg
    5%
Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
    18%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
    17%
Sugars 7.5 g
    30%
Protein 36.4 g

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-chicken-wild-rice-soup-81633
:

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
I figure that both taste and quality matter greatly.  I'll never ever use lowfat anything.  Looks and sounds like watered down piss.  Why would I pay good money for 2% something when I can have full fat tasty nourishment?  Milk that isn't full milk doesn't taste like milk.  Not that I drink much milk, I just put it in my coffee.  But if I used skimmed or semi skimmed or low fat or that ultra do-lally crap they sell nowadays I might as well just water it down

Same goes for "lite" anything, Hellman's Lite?  No way, I'm not having it in my house.

When I need to lose a few pounds, I'll cut out carbs and eat fruit and veg for a few days, but I'm not doing without my lovely cheese, that's protein.  I use butter most days (the best I can buy) and am unguilty.

We have a chef who calls herself domestic goddess, Nigella, on TV here?  google her.  She uses full fat everything, doubles the portions and slurps her fingers and is busty and hippy, a healthy size 16 and a great cook...

Lots of olive oil in my diet and my skin is great.  If you fed me that lowcal crap I'd barf, it's full of chemicals.  Eat the real stuff one day, then do without the next...

Never tasted UHT (that chemically enhanced longlife shit ) nor will I.  I still smoke and I drink like a fish, but I won't eat crap.

What's for dinner then?
xL

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
I figure that both taste and quality matter greatly.  I'll never ever use lowfat anything.  Looks and sounds like watered down piss.  Why would I pay good money for 2% something when I can have full fat tasty nourishment?  Milk that isn't full milk doesn't taste like milk.  Not that I drink much milk, I just put it in my coffee.  But if I used skimmed or semi skimmed or low fat or that ultra do-lally crap they sell nowadays I might as well just water it down

Same goes for "lite" anything, Hellman's Lite?  No way, I'm not having it in my house.

When I need to lose a few pounds, I'll cut out carbs and eat fruit and veg for a few days, but I'm not doing without my lovely cheese, that's protein.  I use butter most days (the best I can buy) and am unguilty.

We have a chef who calls herself domestic goddess, Nigella, on TV here?  google her.  She uses full fat everything, doubles the portions and slurps her fingers and is busty and hippy, a healthy size 16 and a great cook...

Lots of olive oil in my diet and my skin is great.  If you fed me that lowcal crap I'd barf, it's full of chemicals.  Eat the real stuff one day, then do without the next...

Never tasted UHT (that chemically enhanced longlife shit ) nor will I.  I still smoke and I drink like a fish, but I won't eat crap.

What's for dinner then?
xL

A lot people won't notice a taste difference in a recipe using low-fat vs full-fat dairy.  By that I mean dips, spreads, cheesecake, etc., using LF cream cheese, LF sour cream, LF cottage cheese, etc.  Non-fat  :-X now that's another story. 
:

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I don't do snacks or crappy dips, I sit down and eat a proper meal with nice ingredients.  Sorry

xL

I'd recommend that you cut out so much dairy, modify your intake, treat it as special

buy the best you can get...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
A lot people won't notice a taste difference in a recipe using low-fat vs full-fat dairy.  By that I mean dips, spreads, cheesecake, etc., using LF cream cheese, LF sour cream, LF cottage cheese, etc.  Non-fat  :-X now that's another story.  

yes but no but:  If you're making it won't you know that you're cutting corners, sacrificing taste for lowcal chemical replacements instead of eating real food?

You suspect your guests won't know, but don't you?

Food should be made with love

Why do without ?  

Don't, because:
a) you need it you want it badly now and you're worth it, it only costs a little more to buy the proper stuff, so get the best you can afford.
b) you'll work it off tomorrow
c) please enjoy it while you can and then perhaps do without tomorrow, there's always the next day:  the day when there's a past-it's-sell-by-dated can of beans and a bit of old rice in a bag right at the very back left in the cupboard.  you'll just dig up an onion and spice it up...  

Call it a feast only if it's humanely grown and killed,

Gorge on it, once a day at least: sometimes I do lunch and dinner.  other days it's breakfast then nothing.  Restaurants are hilarious nowadays.  Thankfully I have friends who cook for a living, he's head chef at a 5* and she does PR, once a month they do serious money with a waiting list: they do pop-up/random supper clubs at mad venues.  We eat meat:  last dinner party was the Christmas thing the day after, previous to that they did a game night, bird for starters, vension for main and scrabble poker and monopoly bits all over the table, t'was themed.

We've got six different types of haggis (noone likes haggis, so it might end up as a food fight) coming up next for Burns Night, so get your kilt; then in February we do all that red and pink roses and trifle mess

If I were invited to taste crap soup with fake milk or asked to dip something in that, I'd politely decline.  Thanks anyways.
madly
Linda

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
How much of a difference in taste/quality would there be if you used fat-free half and half in place of heavy cream when the recipe calls for a cup or more of heavy cream?

Thanks!

yes big diff.  ff is  :-X

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
yes but no but:  If you're making it won't you know that you're cutting corners, sacrificing taste for lowcal chemical replacements instead of eating real food?

You suspect your guests won't know, but don't you?

Food should be made with love

Why do without ?  

Don't, because:
a) you need it you want it badly now and you're worth it, it only costs a little more to buy the proper stuff, so get the best you can afford.
b) you'll work it off tomorrow
c) please enjoy it while you can and then perhaps do without tomorrow, there's always the next day:  the day when there's a past-it's-sell-by-dated can of beans and a bit of old rice in a bag right at the very back left in the cupboard.  you'll just dig up an onion and spice it up...  

If I were invited to taste crap soup with fake milk or asked to dip something in that, I'd politely decline.  Thanks anyways.
madly
Linda

First of all, LOW FAT versions of dairy are just that - lower fat - some of the saturated fat is removed.  Chemicals and other mystery ingredients are generally not added in it's place.  This goes for cottage cheese, ricotta, cream cheese, sour cream, etc. and some ice creams. Again, FAT FREE is a different story some of the time.  Maybe it's different on that side of the pond.

Secondly, the price is usually the same although sometimes the lower fat version is a tad more $.

Cream is full fat.  1/2 & 1/2 is half cream and half (full fat) MILK.  Low fat 1/2 & 1/2 uses low fat milk (2%) and FF uses skim.  Nothing artificial.

Ungrateful guests are usually not invited a second time.

:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
i like your style princess

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »

Use the real thing and have it be your cheat meal.

Making sure you send any leftovers with your guests helps.

Some reduced fat products are as good, taste wise as the originals but others highlight the impudence of manufacturers who call it the same name when it has nothing in common and none of the properties you require in a recipe.

Carry on.

8)
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

Cream is full fat.  1/2 & 1/2 is half cream and half (full fat) MILK.  Low fat 1/2 & 1/2 uses low fat milk (2%) and FF uses skim.  Nothing artificial.

you what? 

wft is skim whilst you're about it?

xL
no wonder there's aisles and aisles full of useless products to choose from.  If you want .01 pc whatever the blimmin heck you eat, they'll continue to produce it for you.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
the recipe calls for a cup or more of heavy cream?

Thanks!

double it, get two d-cups of the heavy duty real stuff

x
Linda

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »

please please please mod Princess?

don't encourage the wankers on our Girly Board.  Migs is hilarious but send him to the manly boards when he in future salivates all over you...  We all love your style, but we don't need you to quote it and have Migs get a hardon

x
Linda

we all know Ron pays you $1 per post as a mod, but please !

Hi Linda.  Please try to refrain from calling people names on this particular board.  Most other boards are perfectly fine w/that though.

Also, Migs and Princess were just playing...the other things you said about Migs in your above post shouldn't be on this board either so I deleted your post.

Thanks! :)
R

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
What I said about migs?  

Look:  He's funny, he's okay, he seems normal, always been appropriate and nice.  i just didn't appreciate Ms Princess egging him on and making him slaver all over her and our sweet loverly girlie place, next time please go to the xyz or just get a room.

You really don't get me do you ButtBeen?  You still think I'm a gimmick.  Once you dreampt about me doing crochet or knitting, surely I'm okay?  There's no need to take offense at me.  I'm not really that rude, I actually attempt to be rather polite most times?  Look, I'm just real.  I didn't realise that wanker is a banned word.  I do it lots.

We sad brainy fit getting older women in Central London GB borderline on irony sarcasm and profundity.
x
Linda

glad you showed up though, hiya stella, we love you, go do whatever you want to that recipe

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »

you what? 

wft is skim whilst you're about it?

xL
no wonder there's aisles and aisles full of useless products to choose from.  If you want .01 pc whatever the blimmin heck you eat, they'll continue to produce it for you.

Skim milk is 0% fat.  It has all the cream/fat "skimmed" off the top.  The nutrients remain in tact.  90 calories vs 150 per cup.  Makes a difference to many dear. 
: