Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72505 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
They left out Bachmann, Trump, Cain, and Gary Johnson, WTF? 

Here's my breakdown:
Thune voted for TARP so he's garbage in my book. 
Romney likes universal healthcare so he's out,
Huckabee is an evangelical so he's out,
is not experienced or intelligent enough,
Newt has too much sex scandal baggage
Huntsman supports cap and trade and Obama's scamulus package, totally out
Santorum is too socially conservative and won't get independent votes.
Pawlenty is too boring I guess but at least he can balance a budget

Ron Paul and Jim DeMint seem like the best hope to beat Obama.

You mean Ron Paul the evangelical Christian?  The one who is pro life and doesn't believe in evolution?  

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
You mean Ron Paul the evangelical Christian?  The one who is pro life and doesn't believe in evolution?  

Ron Paul is a Christian yes, but he does not wish to force his beliefs and social ideals on other people like Huckabee would.  He believes in individual freedoms and that people can live their life however they choose without gov't telling them what they can't do. 

Abortion, teaching evolution, gay marriage, etc. is defintely not a federal gov't issue or responsiblity.  He wants to leave it up to local gov't.  Huckabe likes big government interference on these issues.
Live free or die

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
Ron Paul is a Christian yes, but he does not wish to force his beliefs and social ideals on other people like Huckabee would.  He believes in individual freedoms and that people can live their life however they choose without gov't telling them what they can't do. 

Abortion, teaching evolution, gay marriage, etc. is defintely not a federal gov't issue or responsiblity.  He wants to leave it up to local gov't.  Huckabe likes big government interference on these issues.

There isn't much of a difference at all between Huckabee and Paul when it comes to religion. 

How are abortion and homosexual marriage issues big government interference? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
I really don't know if I could ever go for huck even as much as I hate and despise faux-bama.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I really don't know if I could ever go for huck even as much as I hate and despise faux-bama.

I'm fine with him.  I like him.  I don't think he will win the nomination, but I'd have no trouble voting for him over Obama. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Santorum takes presidential straw poll in South Carolina
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Greenville, South Carolina (CNN) - Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has visited South Carolina more than any other potential presidential hopeful, and his efforts paid off Saturday with a straw poll win at the Greenville County Republican Party convention.

Santorum was one of three potential candidates to address Saturday’s convention. Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich also spoke.

Vote-rich and conservative, Greenville County plays a pivotal role in the South Carolina presidential primary, traditionally one of the first states to cast ballots in the presidential nomination process.

Santorum, who arrived early at the convention and donned a Palmetto-patterned pink tie for the day, won the straw poll with 31 percent of the 431 votes cast. Finishing second was Gingrich, who took 14 percent. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and reality television star Donald Trump tied for third at seven percent.

They were followed by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at six percent.

Barbour tied for fifth with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who won five percent of the vote.

Huckabee won another closely-watched straw poll in populous York County last weekend. Two other key South Carolina counties, Charleston and Lexington, will hold presidential straw polls next weekend.

Barbour’s showing was underwhelming considering his in-person appearance at the event. He spoke to county delegates shortly before the vote and laid on some southern charm.

“It's great to be at a convention where I don't need an interpreter,” he joked at the opening of his remarks. Barbour also flew into town the previous evening to meet with local Republican activists and potential donors at a minor league baseball game.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished at four percent. Former pizza magnate Herman Cain came in at three percent, and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty took two percent.

The rest of the early and wide-open field finished with one percent of the vote or less. Also on the ballot: Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, Indiana Rep. Mike Pence and – curiously - activist Al Sharpton won write-in votes.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/09/santorum-takes-presidential-straw-poll-in-south-carolina/#more-153676

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
No official candidates yet, but activity is starting to heat up. 

2012ers hit the road
By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - As the presidential waiting game continues, potential 2012 GOP candidates are off on various travels this week, mostly in presidential contest states.

On Monday, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul will deliver speeches in Iowa, she to social conservatives in Pella and he to a Family Leader group in Sioux Center.

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty will make a private fund-raising trip to Florida on Monday and Tuesday.

After postponing his trip due to budget negotiations in Mississippi, Gov. Haley Barbour will visit New Hampshire on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Pawlenty will deliver the keynote address at a GOP dinner in Nashua, New Hampshire, on Thursday.

Also on Thursday, President Barack Obama will make his first fund-raising trip since filing for re-election with Chicago fund-raisers for the Democratic National Committee.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum will deliver a policy address at New England College in Henniker, New Hampshire, Thursday before addressing a Tea Party rally Friday outside the state capitol in Concord.

Pawlenty and Herman Cain, former Godfather's Pizza CEO and radio host, will join Santorum at the Concord event. Later in the day, Pawlenty will address another Tea Party tax day event in Boston.

Cain will speak at a tax event in Florida Friday and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will make an appearance before the Women of Joy Christian group Friday night in Oklahoma City.

Saturday, real estate mogul Donald Trump will make his first political appearance since he started discussing a potential president bid. He will address a South Florida Tea Party tax weekend rally in Boca Raton, Florida. On the same day, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will speak at a GOP event in Cumming, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta.

Saturday morning Bachmann will attend a Tea Party event and an afternoon voter registration and block party in Bluffton, South Carolina. And Santorum, who has appeared in South Carolina more than any other potential candidate, returns to the state Sunday.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/10/2012ers-hit-the-road-3/#more-153776

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
Romney takes first official step towards running for president
By: CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Robert Yoon

Washington (CNN) - Mitt Romney Monday took his first formal step towards launching another bid for the White House.

The former Massachusetts governor, who was a candidate for 2008 Republican presidential nomination, announced that he was setting up a presidential exploratory committee.

"From my vantage point in business and in government, I have become convinced that America has been put on a dangerous course by Washington politicians, and it has become even worse during the last two years. But I am also convinced that with able leadership, America's best days are still ahead," says Romney, in a video to supporters. "That is why today I am announcing my Exploratory Committee for the Presidency of the United States."

Romney spends most of his time in the video talking about the economy, touting his experience in creating jobs and balancing budgets in the business world. Romney taped his video at the University of New Hampshire and starts his message by pointing out that he spoke Monday morning to students at the Durham, New Hampshire campus. The state holds the first primary in the presidential primary and caucus calendar and is considered a must win contest for Romney.

Monday's announcement allows Romney to begin to fundraise for a White House bid.

"While this step does not constitute a formal announcement of candidacy, it allows Governor Romney to be in compliance with the requirements of federal election law as he begins to raise the funds necessary to explore a potential candidacy," says an email release from Romney's campaign.

Romney raised $65.1 million in contributions for his 2008 bid for the GOP nomination. In addition he loaned his campaign $42.3 million from his personal funds.

As of Monday afternoon, Romney's "statement of organization" and the letter serving as his "statement of candidacy" are both now on file with the Federal Election Commission.

Romney is the second major GOP candidate to announce an exploratory committee. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty announced an exploratory committee on March 21. Former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer and conservative radio talk show host and former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain have also formed exploratory committees.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich filed paperwork with the IRS in March to form a fundraising committee to "explore" the possibility of a presidential bid.

Romney's announcement comes one day before the fifth anniversary of the signing by the former Massachusetts governor of a universal health care law in the Bay state. The measure, which has been criticized by some fellow Republicans, could hurt Romney with GOP primary and caucus voters.

Massachusetts Democrats are holding a party Tuesday to mark the occasion, including a "Thank You Mitt Romney" cake. And next door in New Hampshire, which holds the first primary in the race for the White House, Democratic party officials are urging supporters to tweet Romney to thank him for standing "shoulder-to-shoulder with Senator Kennedy to sign Massachusetts' historic health care reform law."

But senior Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom tells CNN that "somehow I'm not surprised that Democrats are sitting around eating cake while 14 million unemployed Americans are struggling to put food on their table."

On April 12, 2006, the then Republican governor in a state dominated by Democrats, signed into law a health care plan that would insure almost every resident of Massachusetts. At the time, it was praised by supporters of health care reform as a landmark achievement for Romney. The lynchpin of the law was an insurance mandate that required the people of Massachusetts to get health insurance.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who is expected to make a run for the GOP presidential nomination, has been critical of the Massachusetts law, as has former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who ran for the White House in 2008 and may make another bid for the Republican nomination in 2012.

Romney addressed his record in a March speech, explaining the law was a "state plan intended to address problems that were in many ways unique to Massachusetts."

"Our experiment wasn't perfect. Some things worked. Some didn't. And some things I'd change," Romney said. "One thing I would never do is to usurp the constitutional power of states with a one-size-fits-all federal takeover."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/11/romney-forms-presidential-exploratory-committee/#more-153889

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
Top New Hampshire GOPer offers Romney praise
By: CNN Associate Producer Gabriella Schwarz

(CNN) – The chairman of the New Hampshire Republican Party spoke kindly of likely presidential contender Mitt Romney Monday, defending the passage of the health care plan he signed while governor of Massachusetts.

"It really was an innovative experiment, he's a very smart man and what he did was he came up with this program geared for the state of Massachusetts, it was never meant to be some model for a national health care program," Jack Kimball said on CNN's "John King, USA" Monday. "And Mitt Romney's made it very clear and as recently as a few weeks ago to me that he's in favor of complete repeal of 'Obamacare' and that each state should come up with their own plan."

"It shouldn't be as big an issue as folks are making it," Kimball added.

Romney, who announced the formation of his presidential exploratory committee Monday, passed the health care law – which has similarities to President Barack Obama's health care plan – five years ago.

Romney's plan and the current health care law include the individual mandate that requires all residents, with some exceptions, to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty. The former Republican governor has received some criticism over the plan from other potential 2012 candidates.

But looking ahead to the New Hampshire primary, Kimball, who mentioned former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain, said there are "very good" candidates in the current field.

"All of them would be far better than what we currently have now," Kimball told CNN National Political Correspondent Jessica Yellin. "I'm excited about the landscape as it's shaping up, and of course New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary is very important and we kind of consider ourselves the state that does the vetting for the nation."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/11/top-new-hampshire-goper-offers-romney-praise/#more-153937

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 05:31:22 AM »
Its going to be either Pawlenty or Romney. So start getting used to them. And start making your decision on who you want it to be. Quite frankly, either one could easily beat Obama. In fact, I dare Americans to pick Obama over Romney. It would be like picking Barabas over Jesus, when you consider the proffesional  resume of each one.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
I thought this was very effective. This is his greatest asset, and he needs to continue to pound on the jobs issue the way he did in this announcement.

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 06:29:19 AM »
I dont really like the guy and there is a little to much sweet talk, making America great again bla..bla..

But the angle with his business/company background is pretty good. I agree he should be hammering the jobs/economic issue and he might pull it off.

Who cares if he voted for universal health care he should just man up to it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
It was a good video.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
T-Paw or PEA BRAIN's 2008 fav Mitt Romney will be your nominee, repubes. Wall Street and the big corporate money will not back a loony tunes candidate when things get serious.
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:12 AM »
They already did in 2008.

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »
They already did in 2008.

Not really as the records show they have the loony in their back-pocket

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 03:59:07 AM »
Did you see my threads on wall street wives? 

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:06 AM »
Did you see my threads on wall street wives? 

Sure did.

Cant say im surprised.
There is 2 societys it seems:
Wall Street and the rest of us. And they seem to be above even the pres.
As i see it violence is the only answer left.

I believe this was what Jefferson had in mind when he spoke of watering the three of liberty with the blood of tyrants.
No tears from me if somebody took care of these people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
Sure did.

Cant say im surprised.
There is 2 societys it seems:
Wall Street and the rest of us. And they seem to be above even the pres.
As i see it violence is the only answer left.

I believe this was what Jefferson had in mind when he spoke of watering the three of liberty with the blood of tyrants.
No tears from me if somebody took care of these people.

Again - Geithner/Bernake/Summers/Pauson/Bush/Obama   -   Its so obvious what is going on.   All those meetings with Bush and Obama in the WH - we all know what wasbreing discussed.       

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
What i wouldnt give for some tea-party gun-nut to go postal on Wall Street.
Im sorry but these fuckers have it coming.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 05:31:44 AM »
What i wouldnt give for some tea-party gun-nut to go postal on Wall Street.
Im sorry but these fuckers have it coming.

Its like an armed fortress down there.   Even in Grand Central now there are big sodiers armed to the teeth all over the place.   No one is doing shit.   

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »
Its like an armed fortress down there.   Even in Grand Central now there are big sodiers armed to the teeth all over the place.   No one is doing shit.   

Just fucking great more of our tax dollars spend on these leaches

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 05:42:37 AM »
In grant central there are these big dudes in camo and armed w side arms flak jackets radios etc. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »
In grant central there are these big dudes in camo and armed w side arms flak jackets radios etc. 
!

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
I dont really like the guy and there is a little to much sweet talk, making America great again bla..bla..

But the angle with his business/company background is pretty good. I agree he should be hammering the jobs/economic issue and he might pull it off.

Who cares if he voted for universal health care he should just man up to it.

Personally, I prefer his sweet talk over Obama's divisive political war rhetoric. You know, things like..
"You fired up!!!?? Ready to go??!!!

Or how about when he told Republicans to "Go for it!!!!" when talking about repealing healthcare.

Or how about "GET IN THIER FACE!!!!"