Author Topic: Would anyone here recommend getting a Kindle?  (Read 3975 times)

tlc

• Getbig III
Re: Would anyone here recommend getting a Kindle?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
Love reading ebooks (via Kindle and other apps) on my android phone, crap in sunlight though. Wouldn't buy a Kindle though regardless of how cheap, just more junk to carry around, phone+netbook all I need on the move. 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
A battery has only so many charge cycles before it holds less and less of a charge.  Each time you plug it in, that counts as one cycle.  If for example the iPad can be charged 500 times before it begins to lose its life and you make the mistake (which I would not do) of plugging it in after each use you, so you'll have a fully charged battery in the event you need to, you will go through the battery's life in relatively no time.  It seems cheap of Apple, kinda like they way they still refuse to put Blu Ray in any of their computers. They do the battery bullshit with their newest laptops as well.  FTN. ;D

Apple makes great stuff, but I want to be able to easily  replace the battery myself when the time comes.   Glad you like yours and you are not alone as others I've questioned are very happy with their iPads but several of them have told me the screen sucks in bright sunlight and its too hard to read outdoors because of that. Thanks!

My iPod touch that I've used extensively for the last three years still has excellent battery time. When replacing the battery becomes an issue you're probably already on your way to getting a new generation instead.
from incomplete data

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
My iPod touch that I've used extensively for the last three years still has excellent battery time. When replacing the battery becomes an issue you're probably already on your way to getting a new generation instead.

This what friends have told me, but I find it unconscionable of Apple all the same.  Rat bastards, no, make that fucktards, those guys at Apple.   ;D  A woman I know is getting ready to buy an iPad to replace a Windows based Net Book for when she travels.  She doesn't have a lot of music to take along and I'm unsure about any movies she might have so it'll probably be fine for her. Thanks for the reply!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »
I also like the feeling of a book in my hand but a friend knows I like to read a lot and recently gave me one as a gift.

I'm still trying to get used to it but I always have a problem finding the 'page' where I left off the last time I used it. Unlike a real book, you can't simply bend the page in half.

Google "The Novel Network" where you can join up for a $60 lifetime membership allowing you to download 1,000's of books throughout your lifetime. I have not joined this program yet so I can't tell you if it's worthwhile or not.

I gotta take this opportunity to encourage each of you GetBiggers to read 'The Dancing Wu Li Masters' which is supposedly the easiest way to learn Quantum Mechanics (or ABOUT QM).

FALCON .... I DO RECOMMEND THAT YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THIS BOOK AND READ IT FROM COVER TO COVER. You may find it to be of great interest, but the first 60 pages or so are boring. After that it grabs you by the nutsack and keeps you interested.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
This what friends have told me, but I find it unconscionable of Apple all the same.  Rat bastards, no, make that fucktards, those guys at Apple.   ;D  A woman I know is getting ready to buy an iPad to replace a Windows based Net Book for when she travels.  She doesn't have a lot of music to take along and I'm unsure about any movies she might have so it'll probably be fine for her. Thanks for the reply!

Btw this might be of interest:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Depth of discharge

Discharge cycles

Table 2: Cycle life and depth of discharge

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life."
from incomplete data