Author Topic: Pec tear bench press disaster (video)  (Read 53811 times)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Pec tear bench press disaster (video)
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
The DB flat bench is even more efficient, allows for separate ROM and builds just as well if not better...all the advantages, none of the risks.

This. Only time I've ever had any sort of abnormality while training chest, it was with the barbell bench press. I've always preferred DB's more, but here and there throw in a BB for variety and that is usually when my shoulders start to have discomfort. Not to mention it took me months to recover from whatever it was that happened to me while on my 2nd rep while BB benching.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: Pec tear bench disaster (video)
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
I've got a few articles floating around if anyone cares to look them up...

heres the bottom line boys:

bench press sucks because it's  a very bad position for the shoulders, not unlike the throwing position in baseball, etc...

we aren't naturally built for the bench as most people have one arm slightly longer than the other, which automatically places the stress on the longer arm/ shoulder, especially at the bottom of the movement

The straight bar automatically put your shoulder/ pec into a bad position as its an unnatural one....unless you walk with you knuckles dragging on the ground...out hands are naturally angled.

most people have one arm weaker than the other, which only emphasis the above, especially if the weaker arm is the longer one

Unless you're built for the bench....short, stocky, short arms, barrel chest....AND have the proper technique....the bench should ONLY be used as just another exercise for chest, no different and no more importance than a pec deck, fly or decline....

i'm build like the guy on the vid's (long arm) and since november b press is just another exercise for chest...not for my ego.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »
I haven`t benched in years, except for jumping in on that rep contest in Rochester a few years back at Jims show Bob.

One thing I try to tell younger guys is that it`s great to have a goal of benching 405 or 500 pounds,but after many years of training,most will never even approach anywhere those numbers even on gear.

I`ve done a legit double bodyweight bench and that`s the best I could do....not bad,but nowhere near what I once envishioned myself doing as in my mind as a goal.

The longer you are a bodybuilder,the more you realize that it takes more than just moving a huge weight from "Point-A" to "Point-B".

Bad shoulders and torn pecs are waiting for todays teens and guys that still max out on benches every Monday in gyms around the world,and most will have mediocre pec development as a result of all those low rep and max benches.

Some guys do indeed have a natural propensity to be great benchers and will move a ton of weight and build armor plated pecs,but those guys are the exceptions and are a huge rarity.

brilliant, at my gym every monday i used to see the squad of same guy failling  their max week after week lol
asstropin

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »

brilliant, at my gym every monday i used to see the squad of same guy failling  their max week after week lol
They`re stuck on stupid.  ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
aside from the .. how much can you bench question .. the main reason guys prefer bb press is ... its easy to spot on Barbel presses and have their training partners pull weights that they could never bench by themselves off their chest

this guy in the video below thought his friend would pull the bar off him....
but fotunatley his friend is a good spotter and taught him a valuable lesson

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
aside from the .. how much can you bench question .. the main reason guys prefer bb press is ... its easy to spot on Barbel presses and have their training partners pull weights that they could never bench by themselves off their chest

this guy in the video below thought his friend would pull the bar off him....
but fotunatley his friend is a good spotter and taught him a valuable lesson

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LOL  ;D

IDIOTS!!

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2012, 08:14:51 AM »
LOL  ;D

IDIOTS!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
serves him right ... i bet he was waiting for his partner to pull it of him.....
why was he trying to bench a weight he couldnt even get one rep with
ego.....
his friend just froze and watched him die under the bar hahahahah
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
The spotter would have had to do some heavy ass upright rows if he had the chance!!  ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
The spotter would have had to do some heavy ass upright rows if he had the chance!!  ;D

hahahahhah
funny thing is there are some 40 yr old plus bbers who train like this in my gym
... hilarious to watch them scream while their partners pull the weights off them
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
hahahahhah
funny thing is there are some 40 yr old plus bbers who train like this in my gym
... hilarious to watch them scream while their partners pull the weights off them
Some folks never learn even after decades of training.  :(

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
thats sad... and that why a lot of people never make gains...
in my first year of training i used to do silly stuff like then i went to a proper gym i loaded up the bar and asked the owner to sopt me i came up halfway and he let the bar stay there before giving me a one finger spot.....
from that day ive never put weight on the bar i cant rack by myself.....
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
thats sad... and that why a lot of people never make gains...
in my first year of training i used to do silly stuff like then i went to a proper gym i loaded up the bar and asked the owner to sopt me i came up halfway and he let the bar stay there before giving me a one finger spot.....
from that day ive never put weight on the bar i cant rack by myself.....
That`s smart,too bad we can`t spread this info worldwide!  :)

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

If he would have stretched his right pec(not just the left one in the vid) he would have nailed it....  BOOM!!!! :D

BTW, the getbigger in the blue tank top is clearly off season

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
That`s smart,too bad we can`t spread this info worldwide!  :)
  if i owned a gym id put a sign near the bench press
" if you cant get one rep by yourself you cant bench the weight"
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
  if i owned a gym id put a sign near the bench press
" if you cant get one rep by yourself you cant bench the weight"
Yeah but then we wouldn`t have these videos to make fun of!  :)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »
 ;D ;D
choice is an illusion

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
If you watch the video again a little closer...you can see on the first rep, he most likely tears it a bit at the finish of the first attempt...look at the grimace on his face and the turn to that side as he flexes it...

Finished it off at the second attempt....guy wasn't built for bench, long arms, grip to narrow, not big front to back....

I've said it for years boys....bench press...worst exercise for chest, the cause of 99 percent of pec tears...I would give it 100 percent, but other than the exception, chances are the injury doing something else, was set up by the bench prior.

to quote myself : "It's not how much you bench, it's how much you LOOK like you can bench!"

I know only two people personally that have torn their pecs, both did it doing dips. One didn't even bench cause it was "too dangerous" :o
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
thats because of any exercise where MUSCLE MASS actually counts its the bench press, EVERY legitimate 405 plus bencher has had thick muscle on top of more thick muscle, im not talking about 17 inch armed fakers like "mesmorph" but LEGIT 270 pound plus monsters.

Umm no. The 181 class at most meets will have someone hitting over 4 bills.

Dave, b/t your out of touch reality with OSU football and your distorted concept of benchpressing I'm beginning to worry about u a little big guy ;)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
I know only two people personally that have torn their pecs, both did it doing dips. One didn't even bench cause it was "too dangerous" :o

I have a fascia tear in my inner/upper pec from heavy dips, it's not an exercise I would do with more than bodyweight for super controlled reps because it's such a stress on everything involved if you go deep.

chick benched 405 for 20? Maybe with someone rowing the bar and 1/2 reps. Ryan kenelly 'only' got 20 reps with 405 in super explosive form.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
I know a guy who was doing only the negative portion of dips and he got a partial tear.............was using 380 pounds on the negative.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
The bench press is the most over rated exercise. It's a really poor indicator of strength. 

A better indicator would be a clean and press but that involves to much work. It's easier to lie on a bed and push a weight.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
Tore his pec on his second press with 385.. jusding from how he struggled with 365.. he should have quit while he was ahead..
ouch

::)

one negro showing off to a bunch of whites, and he probably dont have the money to get it fixed.  if i cant get 5 nice reps with the weight i don't fuck with it. no contest earnings, no supplement contract, no nothing, no reason to get hurt.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »

If he would have stretched his right pec(not just the left one in the vid) he would have nailed it....  BOOM!!!! :D

BTW, the getbigger in the blue tank top is clearly off season

Haha, uberman steps in there at the end to give them a talking-to on using clips and having absent father figures.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »
::)

one negro showing off to a bunch of whites, and he probably dont have the money to get it fixed.  if i cant get 5 nice reps with the weight i don't fuck with it. no contest earnings, no supplement contract, no nothing, no reason to get hurt.
i think it was for a bench competition....... he should have quit after the first press of 365.... he barley got that and you could see it hurt
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Umm no. The 181 class at most meets will have someone hitting over 4 bills.

Dave, b/t your out of touch reality with OSU football and your distorted concept of benchpressing I'm beginning to worry about u a little big guy ;)
yes because that Bama/LSU game was such a nail biter, all field goals and a meaningless touchdown from Richardson, OSU would have cleaned house on either one of them.