Author Topic: Why do the poor deserve obamaphones?  (Read 5087 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Why do the poor deserve obamaphones?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
  I live in the Bronx and often feel like I am in the middle of the. Movie ZULU.   

Why do you feel that way?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
Why do you feel that way?

take a guess. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
What is the reason, besides buying votes? Do these people realize that they are just making people less likely to go out and work?  When these people all decide to quit their jobs, or just not work, who is left to foot the bill for everything else?  The working man?  I would like a leftist view on these welfare programs, sell me on this please.

sorry....good try to try and blame Obama...but those cellphones were available starting in the Bush years.....they can be gotten by the poor through medicaid....

gotta stop trying to pin everything on Obama dude.........

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
i bet they all light up on election day with text reminders to vote Obama so you can keep your damn phone ;)

I know this is sarcasm 240, but don't feed into this nonsense.....

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
Apparently, you did not read it... It happened under Ronald Reagan's watch.

That's what the article says.
time to say "oops"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
I know this is sarcasm 240, but don't feed into this nonsense.....

I'm sure your bi ass has an Obama phone too.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Nobody tries to take away angry militant blacks freedom of speech when they say they want to do this and that to whitey.  They also say a lot of white people do (insert negative stereotype).  The ghetto black culture is hypocritical and a thousand more racist than i could ever be.  Fuck cell phones.  Gives those mother fuckers sime books.  And some fucking responsiblity.  Snd some humble fuckin pie.   Fuck fell phones.  Get a damn purpose with your life.  Fuck a cell phone.  Fucking total bullshit

The average responsible black person who pays his bills must be appalled by thugs like Obama andre Benny etc.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
Now that youre done calling me the dreaded "R" word.  Can you dispute that those areas are the most racist areas in the usa?  Are there anywhere else where violencetowards other races is so openly embraced and tolerated?

Its so funny to hear you people whip out the word racist.  The word racist means you believe peoples abilitys and other characteristics are based in their race.  It also means that you subscibe to a racial hierarchy in terms of place in the world.  I don neithe of thise things. There are plenty of blacks who are far far better men than i.  I also believe that people of different races can and do achieve things that defy there racial stereotypes.  However, what i said abou poor black neighborhoods is true. And you all know it.  I hope this puts to bed that i am a racist.  My world view doesnt value a person based on skin color.  But, i can fucking comment on the poor black ghetto cultire if i want to.  That doesnt make me a racist.  Anyone who tells you that wants to take your individual freedom o speech from you and they should be detested thoroughly.
Bromosexual - I agree with you. I was being sarcastic, you know, cause if you say anything negative about black culture youre automatically a racist, no matter how true it is.

I thought you would pick up the sarcasm, cause I was laying it down pretttyyy thick.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »
Spin it anyway you want, I never saw commercials for it until a few years ago. Especially with the commercial where the black woman talks about her phone being cut off and she exclaims "it's my cousins fault". It's Lmost like whoever did the marketing was patronizing blacks. Again, I just question the policies of a government that keeps on giving handouts without anything in return. I'm sorry, but my wife and I do okay, and I see what is paid in taxes and it pisses me off that there are programs that take my money and give it to those who do nothing but be born and breed. 2010, the last year I was single I paid $43,000 in taxes, now how is that fair that I pay so much, and others get free phones etc. I will now retract my obamaphone euphamism and call it what it is, a welfare phone.

again you make a very big assumption that "blacks" are benefiting from this..I can almost guarantee you that as with ALL government programs, whites are the biggest users in terms of sheer numbers..I am sure this is true with this program as well

I know the point you are trying to get at....another attempt at an anti-black thread....but it blew up in your face

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
They inspire commerce through drug deals.
Lots of tax revenue and money flowing back into the economy from drug dealers.

you are absolutely right...all those poor whites using these phones to make meth deals...good job for pointing this out

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
you are absolutely right...all those poor whites using these phones to make meth deals...good job for pointing this out
Good point, almost forgot about the white trash.
Mexican dealers with their coke. (Although most are illegals, so they probably wont be a problem)
Blacks and their crack, and weed.

All people that dont need phones.
Id be willing to bet the amount of blacks getting in the program will far outweigh the whiskey tango, though. (Percentage wise, youre quick to point out sheer numbers, but the fact is percentage wise its not so much as you try to make it out.)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 07:05:28 PM »
Now that youre done calling me the dreaded "R" word.  Can you dispute that those areas are the most racist areas in the usa?  Are there anywhere else where violencetowards other races is so openly embraced and tolerated?

Its so funny to hear you people whip out the word racist.  The word racist means you believe peoples abilitys and other characteristics are based in their race.  It also means that you subscibe to a racial hierarchy in terms of place in the world.  I don neithe of thise things. There are plenty of blacks who are far far better men than i.  I also believe that people of different races can and do achieve things that defy there racial stereotypes.  However, what i said abou poor black neighborhoods is true. And you all know it.  I hope this puts to bed that i am a racist.  My world view doesnt value a person based on skin color.  But, i can fucking comment on the poor black ghetto cultire if i want to.  That doesnt make me a racist.  Anyone who tells you that wants to take your individual freedom o speech from you and they should be detested thoroughly.

Dude...get off your soap box...who cares???..its getbig

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »

I'm sure your bi ass has an Obama phone too.  

I'm sure its hard for you to get reception from your mother's basement

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
You know what poor people need more than a cell phone?
accountability

Hope you mean all those millions and millions of poor whites as well

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »

The average responsible black person who pays his bills must be appalled by thugs like Obama andre Benny etc.

pretty cold in that basement?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
Bromosexual - I agree with you.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
pretty cold in that basement?

Lol.   Bro.    Don't you see the cliff you are heading off w Ghettobama?  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Home • Ask FactCheck • The Obama Phone? The Obama Phone?
Posted on October 29, 2009 , Updated on Nov. 5, 2009

Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

FULL ANSWER

Welfare recipients, and others, can receive a free cell phone, but the program is not funded by the government or taxpayer money, as the e-mail alleges. And it’s hardly new.

How It Works

SafeLink Wireless, the program mentioned in the e-mail, does indeed offer a cell phone, about one hour’s worth of calling time per month, and other wireless services like voice mail to eligible low-income households. Applicants have to apply and prove that they are either receiving certain types of government benefits, such as Medicaid, or have household incomes at or below 135 percent of the poverty line. Using 2009 poverty guidelines, that’s $14,620 for an individual and a little under $30,000 for a family of four, with slightly higher amounts for Alaska and Hawaii.

SafeLink is run by a subsidiary of América Móvil, the world’s fourth largest wireless company in terms of subscribers, but it is not paid for directly by the company. Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims. Rather, it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission. The USF is sustained by contributions from telecommunications companies such as "long distance companies, local telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and payphone providers." The companies often charge customers to fund their contributions in the form of a universal service fee you might see on your monthly phone bill. The fund is then parceled out to companies, such as América Móvil, that create programs, such as SafeLink, to provide telecommunications service to rural areas and low-income households.

History

The SafeLink program has actually been offering cell phones to low-income households in some states since 2008, not beginning "earlier this year," as the e-mail claims. But the program is rooted in a deeper history.

When phone lines were first laid out in the late 19th century, they were not always inter-operable. That is to say the phone service created by one company to serve one town may not have been compatible with the phone service of another company serving a different town nearby. The telecom companies themselves saw the folly in this arrangement, and so in 1913, AT&T committed itself to resolving interconnection problems as part of the "Kingsbury Commitment."

That common goal of universal service became a goal of universal access to service when Congress passed The Telecommunications Act of 1934. The act created the FCC and also included in its preamble a promise "to make available, so far as possible, to all the people of the United States, a rapid, efficient, Nation-wide, and world-wide wire and radio communication service with adequate facilities at reasonable charges.” There was a fear, expressed by telecom companies themselves, that market forces alone might encourage companies to pass on providing service to hard-to-reach places. This would both hurt the people who wouldn’t have service as well as existing customers who wouldn’t be able to reach them. So the new FCC was tasked with promoting this principle of "universal service."

This informal practice was codified when the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) was created as part of the 1996 Telecommunications Act to "ensure all Americans, including low-income consumers and those who live in rural, insular, high cost areas, shall have affordable service and [to] help to connect eligible schools, libraries, and rural health care providers to the global telecommunications network." The USAC includes four programs to serve rural areas, high cost areas, rural health care providers, and schools and libraries. Since 1997, USAC has provided discounted land line service to low-income individuals. (A more limited program to offer assistance to low-income individuals was created a decade earlier; the telecommunications act expanded and formalized it.) According to Eric Iversen, USAC director of external relations, the Universal Service Fund more recently began funding programs that provide wireless service, such as the pre-paid cellular SafeLink program mentioned in the chain e-mail.

The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

Wilson Phones, anyone?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
I'm sure its hard for you to get reception from your mother's basement

Says the dude who just responded to no less than 5 posts. And, the point isn't that it is all blacks, fuck all of the poor "everybody is against me" culture. If you are poor, 99 out of 100 times, it's your fault. I know, there are exceptions, but you know what , sorry about your luck. I made $137,000 in 2010, paid $43,000 in taxes as a single male. You know how sick it makes me to see these fucking bums take my money?  And I got married last year, and my wife makes more than me, you know how bad that felt to pay that nut we paid last year?  Pretty fucking bad. I guess what it is, is that most people who make in the 40-60k range think what I make is probably too much, or that I have enough. You know what? I don't, I always want more, and that's what capaitalism is about. I just can't stand to see someone get something they don't deserve, because I busted my fucking ass to at 30 get what I have. I chose to go to college, get a job, wait to have kids and get married, and in general, have good sense. Why does the working stiff always have to foot the bill for the lazy slob. Black or white. Serious, I would like an answer, not jumping in your shit, I just want to know what is your view.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
Ghettobama expanded this program beyond anything ever imagined.  

Me?   Thunk every ghetto savage and animal belongs on a work camp for rations at best.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
Says the dude who just responded to no less than 5 posts. And, the point isn't that it is all blacks, fuck all of the poor "everybody is against me" culture. If you are poor, 99 out of 100 times, it's your fault. I know, there are exceptions, but you know what , sorry about your luck. I made $137,000 in 2010, paid $43,000 in taxes as a single male. You know how sick it makes me to see these fucking bums take my money?  And I got married last year, and my wife makes more than me, you know how bad that felt to pay that nut we paid last year?  Pretty fucking bad. I guess what it is, is that most people who make in the 40-60k range think what I make is probably too much, or that I have enough. You know what? I don't, I always want more, and that's what capaitalism is about. I just can't stand to see someone get something they don't deserve, because I busted my fucking ass to at 30 get what I have. I chose to go to college, get a job, wait to have kids and get married, and in general, have good sense. Why does the working stiff always have to foot the bill for the lazy slob. Black or white. Serious, I would like an answer, not jumping in your shit, I just want to know what is your view.
Haves and haves not bro.
People that dont, or cant, will always demand from those that can. Especially in this day and age - people have this sense that theyre entitled to an upper-middle class income fuckin' "just because".

Not to mention many of the "have nots" have this "fuck those that can" attitude.
Its jealousy. Notice the only ones that cry about financial equality are those that barely had to work for what they have - actors, entertainers, etc. And theyre almost always whites, the bleeding hearts. When was the last time you saw an uber-rich black athlete out lobbying like the bleeding heart actors that have never stepped a foot into an urban neighborhood? (I have spent a lot of time in urban neighborhoods when I was a junkie, so dont go there Andre)

Even Robert Downey Jr changed his tune once he spent some time in jail for his drug habit. Dude said something like "I feel ostracised by my constituents now, because I dont share their views anymore - You simply cant come out of the drug world/jail and still be a liberal." (After seeing the choices those people make and how they live their lives.) There is always a choice or opportunity to become successful. Staying broke and a failure is a fucking choice for the most part.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »

you say black or white but thats not what you were saying before....every time someone starts one of these threads talking about the poor and how they get all of this assistance the thread inevitably goes in the direction of a black rant....its just so funny that whites refuse to acknowledge their own poor which number in the tens of millions...they, like you, prefer to stick their heads in the sand and criticize blacks without acknowledging that whites get a lot of help from the gov't as well....

then when this is pointed out we get the inevitable percentage argument....Its a real wonder why you guys are so obsessed with black people period....you guys get on here and talk about everything black....our socio-economic status..our big dicks...how we steal white women.....lay off already!..its really embarassing that whites here on getbig resort to this..you don't see blacks starting threads about whites..we could care less about your lives...live and let live....its always the down and out whites on here who start these threads gripping about blacks..and obsessing about how big our dicks are and how much money the gov't supposedly gives us......it really gets boring

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
Ghettobama expanded this program beyond anything ever imagined.  

Me?   Thunk every ghetto savage and animal belongs on a work camp for rations at best.

Seeing as how you never worked in the telecom industry....let me explain something to you.

1.  The phone program was actually started by Woodrow Wilson....its decades old
2.  The government doesn't pay for the phones.....the telecom companies do.
3.  Its switched to a wireless program because its much cheaper than wireline

4.  You're a crazy...seek help
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 06:05:54 AM »

you say black or white but thats not what you were saying before....every time someone starts one of these threads talking about the poor and how they get all of this assistance the thread inevitably goes in the direction of a black rant....its just so funny that whites refuse to acknowledge their own poor which number in the tens of millions...they, like you, prefer to stick their heads in the sand and criticize blacks without acknowledging that whites get a lot of help from the gov't as well....

then when this is pointed out we get the inevitable percentage argument....Its a real wonder why you guys are so obsessed with black people period....you guys get on here and talk about everything black....our socio-economic status..our big dicks...how we steal white women.....lay off already!..its really embarassing that whites here on getbig resort to this..you don't see blacks starting threads about whites..we could care less about your lives...live and let live....its always the down and out whites on here who start these threads gripping about blacks..and obsessing about how big our dicks are and how much money the gov't supposedly gives us......it really gets boring

If it bores you, why reply?  And, it wasn't an anti black thread, but I did bring up how the commercials I saw regarding the program were geared towards blacks. If I was a black man, that shit would piss me off that "whitey" was giving me a fucking hand out, like I couldn't do it myself. But, that's for another discussion. Like I stated, black or white, NO ONE deserves a free ride. And, notice how I didn't include Asians or Latin Americans, because they aren't the problem. I will admit that there are a shit ton on white trash, and it makes my stomach turn, as I'm sure ghetto blacks make yours. There is no problem with being ethnocentric, it's hard not to harbor some sort of innate pride, so if it may seem like I'm singling out blacks, I'm not trying to, just making a few observations and asking for EVERYONE'S input. And these threads may have a racial undertone, but it's hard not to when you have Jesse and al still driving wedges between the two cultures. So, that being said , would you like to answer the question at hand, and the one I asked in my last post directed at you?  Like I said, no ill will towards you, I generally want to know peoples thoughts on the welfare state.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 06:08:21 AM »

Seeing as how you never worked in the telecom industry....let me explain something to you.

1.  The phone program was actually started by Woodrow Wilson....its decades old
2.  The government doesn't pay for the phones.....the telecom companies do.
3.  Its switched to a wireless program because its much cheaper than wireline

4.  You're a crazy...seek help

Thread closed