Author Topic: Romney having a hard time at the NAACP convention  (Read 4261 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Romney having a hard time at the NAACP convention
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »

And hence the typical brainwashed leftist.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
CBS News White House Reporter Rips Obama For Ducking NAACP
 CBS News via Twitter ^ | Wednesday, July 11, 2012 | Mark Knoller

Why is Pres Obama not addressing NAACP Convention in this election year? Jay Carney repeatedly said "ask the campaign." (more) 3:32 PM - 11 Jul 12via web

Two Obama Campaign spkspeople say Pres Obama not addressing NAACP because VP Biden is. (more) 3:34 PM - 11 Jul 12via web

Circular reasoning since VP Biden is addressing the NAACP tomorrow because Pres. Obama is not. (more) 3:35 PM - 11 Jul 12via web

A president's schedule allows for him to do anything he wants to do. He has a small army of personnel to make sure that';s (sic) the case. 3:38 PM - 11 Jul 12via web

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
No Black People Approved this Message…RACISM! (Kira Davis respods to Emmanuel Cleaver)
 Kira Davis blog ^ | July 11, 2012 | Kira Davis

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:28:19 PM by Da Bilge Troll

“I don’t know who’s advising Gov.Romney from the African America perspective but I would give him an F- on talking about Obamacare in terms of repealing it, not to this audience….he should never have gone there in the first place.”

Rep Emmanuel Cleaver said this on MSNBC today (it doesn’t matter who the reporter was; I’ve decided to treat MSNBC like they treat Blacks as a monolithic group of lemmings with no individual opinions or personalities). He was referring to Romney’s visit to the NAACP. Now, I know I should really stop being shocked to hear our black Democrat “leaders” talk like this, but sometimes I just can’t help myself.

Cleaver wonders aloud who is advising Gov. Romney from the African American perspective. I wasn’t aware that white people needed to be “advised” before they addressed black people. Heaven forbid Romney actually just look at these people as….Americans! Mon Dieu! You mean to tell me this man actually went into a room full of black people and was honest about his opinions and intentions?

Cleaver also gives Romney an F- for criticizing Obama’s policy to “this audience”. ”This audience”? Are they anything like “those people”? Just checking. Because I thought the NAACP was committed to fighting racism, not perpetuating it by suggesting that we blacks are only able to comprehend certain messages and not able to make decisions for ourselves about what we do and do not agree with.

Romney deserves respect for wading in where he knew he would not be wanted. Black liberals complain all the time that conservatives and Republicans don’t engage them enough in the political realm, and then when they do go directly into our communities to debate and conversate they’re treated like crap. Then liberals wonder all over again why those nasty, racist Republicans don’t have the stones to bring their message into our communities. Well, Mr. Cleaver – here’s a man with stones. He came to speak, not pander. I know you and your ilk at the Black Caucus and NAACP have made pandering an art, but you should at least have a little respect for a man who is willing to be honest about his views and not temper those views simply based on the color of the people he is addressing.

You should be embarrassed. I would be embarrassed for you, except that this diarrhea of the mouth you so often suffer from is a goldmine for bloggers like me, and only makes the argument for our side of the political spectrum that much stronger. So spew away. New media will be here to pick up every word.

And no, this message was not approved by the NAACP. Racism!

________________________ __________________

Romney did well today.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Romney Receives Standing Ovation for Straight Talk at NAACP Convention
 Townhall.com ^ | July 11, 2012 | Katie Pavlich

GOP Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney just wrapped up his speech to the NAACP convention in Houston, focusing mostly on the economy and education reform. Right out of the gate, Romney received laughs from the crowd after cracking a joke about President Obama.

“I appreciate the chance to speak first – even before Vice President Biden gets his turn tomorrow. I just hope the Obama campaign won’t think you’re playing favorites."

Romney framed his speech in general economic terms and tailored parts of it specifically to the African-American community. He focused on the family and defended traditional marriage, which received applause. President Obama supports same-sex marriage.

“If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, black families could send their sons and daughters to public schools that truly offer the hope of a better life. Instead, for generations, the African-American community has been waiting and waiting for that promise to be kept. Today, black children are 17 percent of students nationwide – but they are 42 percent of the students in our worst-performing schools. Our society sends them into mediocre schools and expects them to perform with excellence, and that is not fair. Frederick Douglass observed that, “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” Yet, instead of preparing these children for life, too many schools set them up for failure. Everyone in this room knows that we owe them better than that.
“I’m hopeful that together we can set a new direction in federal policy, starting where many of our problems do – with the family. A study from the Brookings Institution has shown that for those who graduate from high school, get a full-time job, and wait until 21 before they marry and then have their first child, the probability of being poor is two percent. And if those factors are absent, the probability of being poor is 76 percent.

"Here at the NAACP, you understand the deep and lasting difference the family makes. Your former executive director, Dr. Benjamin Hooks, had it exactly right. The family, he said, “remains the bulwark and the mainstay of the black community. That great truth must not be overlooked.”

"Any policy that lifts up and honors the family is going to be good for the country, and that must be our goal. As President, I will promote strong families – and I will defend traditional marriage."

"As you may have heard from my opponent, I am also a believer in the free-enterprise system. I believe it can bring change where so many well-meaning government programs have failed. I’ve never heard anyone look around an impoverished neighborhood and say, “You know, there’s too much free enterprise around here. Too many shops, too many jobs, too many people putting money in the bank.”

What you hear, of course, is how do we bring in jobs? How do we make good, honest employers want to move in and stay? And with the shape this economy is in, we’re asking that more than ever.

Free enterprise is still the greatest force for upward mobility, economic security, and the expansion of the middle class. We have seen in recent years what it’s like to have less free enterprise. As President, I will show the good things that can happen when we have more – more business activity, more jobs, more opportunity, more paychecks, more savings accounts.

Romney also addressed the importance of being at the NAACP convention, despite 95 percent of blacks voting for Obama in 2008.

“With 90 percent of African-Americans voting for Democrats, some of you may wonder why a Republican would bother to campaign in the African American community, and to address the NAACP. Of course, one reason is that I hope to represent all Americans, of every race, creed or sexual orientation, from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between.
But there is another reason: I believe that if you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African American families, you would vote for me for president. I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color -- and families of any color -- more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I would not be running for president,” Romney said. “I am running for president because I know that my policies and vision will help hundreds of millions of middle class Americans of all races, will lift people from poverty, and will help prevent people from becoming poor. My campaign is about helping the people who need help. The course the President has set has not done that – and will not do that. My course will.”

Romney also offered the audience new information he hasn’t publicly touted, his father George Romney, was a strong supporter of the Civil Rights movement.

Yet always, in both parties, there have been men and women of integrity, decency, and humility who called injustice by its name. For every one of us a particular person comes to mind, someone who set a standard of conduct and made us better by their example. For me, that man is my father, George Romney.
It wasn’t just that my Dad helped write the civil rights provision for the Michigan Constitution, though he did. It wasn’t just that he helped create Michigan’s first civil rights commission, or that as governor he marched for civil rights in Detroit – though he did those things, too.

More than these public acts, it was the kind of man he was, and the way he dealt with every person, black or white. He was a man of the fairest instincts, and a man of faith who knew that every person was a child of God.

Romney’s speech made it clear he wasn't at the NAACP convention to pander or preach at the audience. He simply presented a slew of facts and straight talk. Some topics he touched on, like repealing ObamaCare, received boos, but overall Romney received applause throughout his speech and it was reported by NBC that many in the audience gave Romney standing applause at the end of his remarks. It was clear he had a positive impact although the media will choose to focus only on the opposition to his remarks.

Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cleaver said Romney should not have criticized President Obama in front of a black audience but dispproved of audience booing.

You can watch the entire speech here.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
They loudly booed him when he said that he would overturn Obamacare but he's getting some applause for other things.  Gotta give him props for doing what McCain and Palin would not.
or maybe Mc and Pa had more common sense to just stay away and write them off.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
or maybe Mc and Pa had more common sense to just stay away and write them off.

LOL - did you watch the speech? 

Romney gave a very sober, mature, non-pandering, well delivered speech and got many applause throughout.  He got one boo line on obamacare but the rest was well received. 

Personally, Im glad he went there and gave this speech unlike the pandering hacks and leftists like thugbama, hillary, gore, et al who pander and toss around fake accents to black crowds. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
This is how leftists treat blacks. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »
This is how Obama treats blacks - like shit.   Pandering at its worst.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
:o

what difference does it make what his father did 50 years ago

Shit - Mitt himself was pro-choice and pro gay rights 10 or 15 years ago so should we assume he has the same position on those topic today ?

only a moron would vote for Romney based on what his father did or did not do 50 years ago

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
Pelosi: Romney made 'a calculated move' to get booed by NAACP
The Hill ^ | July 11, 2012 | Justin Sink
Posted on July 11, 2012 7:54:01 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday that Mitt Romney made a "calculated move" to get booed during his address earlier in the day before the NAACP.

“I think it was a calculated move on his part to get booed at the NAACP convention," she told Bloomberg TV.

Members of the civil rights organization booed Romney when he vowed to repeal President Obama's signature health care law.

Romney said earlier in the day that he "expected" a negative reaction to his speech, which NAACP President Benjamin Jealous said included positions "antithetical" to the interests of the civil rights organization.

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
hey, it could very well be an engineered move to - drum roll please - play the fuccking victim.

"look, I got booed".   

Maybe he was showing balls by saying that to the room - but if he's spoken to crowds all week and not said it, then whips it out today, that's a move for pity.

luckily, you have so may repub voters crying about how they're vicitms of everything, they'll cuddle mittens for his hurt feelings.

but america wants a leader with a spine.  Does mitt have one?  We're yet to see it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
Did you watch the speech 180?    Romney went in there and told the truth and did not pander to them.   

Kudos to him. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »

Mittens has nothing to lose by giving a speech there. 

And his speech of what i heard was very good, direct, and to the point. 

You made a valid political point without calling people names or mentioning a conspiracy.

This is Getbig history!

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
Skip to comments.

NAACP crowd calls Romney 'demeaning,' 'insulting'
The Washington Examiner ^ | July 11, 2012 | Susan Ferrechio
Posted on July 11, 2012 7:40:36 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

HOUSTON - NAACP officials described Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's morning address to the nation's most prestigious civil rights group as demeaning and insulting.

A three-quarters full auditorium greeted Romney with lukewarm applause, but the atmosphere quickly grew increasingly tense as Romney made the case that President Obama's economic policies have not helped the black community. He cited the jump in unemployment among African Americans from 13.6 percent to 14.4 percent in June.

"If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, then a chronically bad economy would be equally bad for everyone," Romney told the civil rights group's annual gathering. "Instead, it's worse for African Americans in almost every way."

Clayola Brown, the member of the NAACP's National Board of Directors who invited Romney to speak, said the presumptive Republican presidential nominee should not have used unemployment numbers to try to turn the crowd against Obama.

"It was insensitive and quite demeaning as a matter of fact," Brown told The Washington Examiner after Romney exited the stage. "Certainly we are aware of what the numbers are and the impact is in our communities. It's the dialogue used that we find insulting."

Brown said the point of inviting Romney to the convention wasn't to give him a chance to win over African American voters who overwhelmingly backed Obama in 2008 and are expected to vote for him again this fall. Instead, Romney was invited to "show respect to the organization," she said.

Another board member, Amos Brown, of San Francisco, called Romney's address, "an insult to the NAACP," including his references to the importance of family.

"For him to come here and lecture us about the family - he doesn't need to be talking to Negros about that," Brown said. "Who tore up the family?"

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...

Typical.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
Obama camp cites 'scheduling conflict' for NAACP convention no-show
cnn.com ^ | July 11, 2012 | Dan Lothian
Posted on July 11, 2012 10:50:23 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama's re-election campaign insists a "scheduling conflict" is behind the president's decision to skip this year's NAACP convention.

"We declined a few weeks ago and [the] NAACP was pleased [Vice President Joe Biden] was able to attend," a campaign official told CNN.

But the president's schedule for Thursday, released Wednesday evening, appears to be wide open with the exception of his daily briefing with senior aides and advisers.

Hilary Shelton, the NAACP Washington Bureau director and a senior vice president in the organization, said the White House never confirmed a visit.

“They were trying to work out something," Shelton said. As to why Obama could not attend, he added, "It was that something could not be moved. Something was crucial. And unfortunately, they couldn’t move it in a way they could get him here this week.”

(Excerpt) Read more at politicalticker.blogs.cn n.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   Bloggers & Personal
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Mitt Romney: Scrappy Underdog?
Reaganite Republican ^ | July 11 , 2012 | Reaganite Republican
Posted on July 11, 2012 7:55:46 PM EDT by Reaganite Republican

After watching the NAACP tell Romney's he's 'too white' to listen-to (then booing him), I just happened upon Stacy McCain's take on how Mittens carried himself... he makes a superb  point:

Today I watched Mitt Romney’s speech to the NAACP convention and was impressed that he did not pander.

Yes, portions of his speech were aimed specifically at his audience — Romney talked a lot about education reform as a means of promoting opportunity — but for the most part, Mitt gave his standard Republican stump speech, saying the same things to the NAACP I’d heard him say to crowds in Iowa, New Hampshire, Florida and other stops along the GOP primary campaign trail.

Mitt slammed ObamaCare and was willing to risk being booed for it, and in general displayed an admirable firmness of conviction...

More at The Other McCain...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
This is how leftists treat blacks.  

And where was his marching shoes last month?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »

Obama treats blacks like toilet paper. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

let's say a Prez Cuomo gave a similar speech in front of an Italo Americans group.    I would be horrified and embarrassed beyond words.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Obama treats blacks like toilet paper.  

drinking on a week night?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 02:43:13 AM »
drinking on a week night?

He does.    What has Obama ever done for any black person? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 02:50:04 AM »
NAACP leader accuses Romney of favoring white people after speech
Daily Caller ^ | 07/11/2012 | Alex Pappas
Posted on July 12, 2012 12:39:09 AM EDT by Qbert

The response from one NAACP leader after Mitt Romney’s speech before the organization on Wednesday? He favors white people.

“I believe his vested interests are in white Americans,” Charlette Stoker Manning, the chairwoman of Women in NAACP, told the website BuzzFeed following the Republican candidate’s Wednesday speech in Houston.

“You cannot possibly talk about jobs for black people at the level he’s coming from. He’s talking about entrepreneurship, savings accounts — black people can barely find a way to get back and forth from work,” Manning said.

Romney was booed at several points throughout his speech — the loudest being when Romney spoke of his desire to see “Obamacare” repealed. The Republican also received applause at times throughout the speech, notably for saying he’d protect traditional marriage.

In his speech, he argued that a Romney administration would better serve African-American voters.

“If you want a president who will make things better in the African-American community, you are looking at him,” Romney said.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, the NAACP thanked Romney for addressing the convention but stressed they disagree with his policies.

“While we are glad that Governor Romney recognized the power of the black electorate, he laid out an agenda that was antithetical to many of our interests,” said NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous.

Typical. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 02:55:55 AM »
LOL - did you watch the speech? 

Romney gave a very sober, mature, non-pandering, well delivered speech and got many applause throughout.  He got one boo line on obamacare but the rest was well received. 

Personally, Im glad he went there and gave this speech unlike the pandering hacks and leftists like thugbama, hillary, gore, et al who pander and toss around fake accents to black crowds. 

You mean like this:

;)