Author Topic: frank zane  (Read 32498 times)

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
Re: frank zane
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »

That justifies a guy that looks very small compared to every other Mr O beating a guy with such great aesthetics and flow as Robby?

I just don't buy these kinds of arguments about Zane.
Sultan

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 10:52:13 AM »
That justifies a guy that looks very small compared to every other Mr O beating a guy with such great aesthetics and flow as Robby?

I just don't buy these kinds of arguments about Zane.

I don't view them as arguments, rather statements of fact. I was there . . . Robby was great, but he had poorly shaped quads, no calves and was in poor condition. Zane on the other had brought ( on the day of the contest ) great shape, balance and conditioning. He was the clear cut winner.

Oh, and don't believe what you read about a " zero carb " diet. Frank always had carbs in his iet, they would be dropped to near zero a few days prior to the contest to drain water and assist in carb loading. Fact.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 02:28:48 PM »
Wow-I must take notes on this from the expert...hahaaaaaa.....D ouble XL=Hurricane Beef! But both are as gay as the day is long.....

I must say, I would have little trouble dealing with you in a trail or on a stage.

Big Ronnie Abston MBA, LLB

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2005, 03:37:25 PM »
I train with Frank every now and again and he is still a warrior on the iron, has a better body than most 20yr olds still.

619Rules

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 04:16:50 PM »
I must say, I would have little trouble dealing with you in a trail or on a stage.

Big Ronnie Abston MBA, LLB

Where is my note pad....must take notes from Hurricane Homo.....

;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »
I train with Frank every now and again and he is still a warrior on the iron, has a better body than most 20yr olds still.

You must of looked like crap when you were 20.

I've seen Frank in person & I wouldn't make that statement

619Rules

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2005, 05:04:14 PM »
You must of looked like crap when you were 20.

I've seen Frank in person & I wouldn't make that statement

I was thinking the same thing-I have seen pics of him in the last year and he looks like a grandpa........not as old as his wife though-she looks ancient.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »
I think Serge Nubret was even better than RR, and definitely better than zane.  Great asthetics yet massive. Zane capitalized at the right time - you also had Schwarzenegger, Ferrigno, Columbu out of the picture by 1977.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2005, 03:29:39 PM »
I think Serge Nubret was even better than RR, and definitely better than zane.  Great asthetics yet massive. Zane capitalized at the right time - you also had Schwarzenegger, Ferrigno, Columbu out of the picture by 1977.

Yeah, he couldn't really help that he won during a time period when the competition was very weak. That was the only era in which he could have possibly had a chance of winning.
Sultan

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 11:42:42 PM »
Serge Nubret had very narrow shoulders, no quads, and no calves. Robby Robinson had very little development from the waist down. Zane was perfectly balanced.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 04:08:38 AM »
You hit that nail on the head, Brian

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2005, 05:23:08 PM »
Serge Nubret had very narrow shoulders, no quads, and no calves. Robby Robinson had very little development from the waist down. Zane was perfectly balanced.

Zane was balanced.  Zero upper body as well.
Who but Tom Platz had great quads in thoes days?

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 02:15:50 AM »
Zane sucks more over rated he sucked of wielder for those titles

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »

like zane had good leg development  ::) yeah, and zane was really wide  ::)
Sultan

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 02:33:42 AM »
For the time period of the 70s,when no-one had what you would call massive legs,Zane did indeed have good legs.Balanced thighs,calves and hamstrings.You`re trying to compare his leg development of 30 years ago,with the leg development of todays guys.It always makes me smile when people put Zane down for a lack of size,yet in this shot of him with Mentzer from the 79 Olympia,he looks pretty good.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 09:18:30 AM »
For the time period of the 70s,when no-one had what you would call massive legs,Zane did indeed have good legs.Balanced thighs,calves and hamstrings.You`re trying to compare his leg development of 30 years ago,with the leg development of todays guys.It always makes me smile when people put Zane down for a lack of size,yet in this shot of him with Mentzer from the 79 Olympia,he looks pretty good.

what i meant by my previous post was: if you are going to criticize Robby and Serge for certain "flaws"- take a second look at zane and you will realize that he had his flaws too. people try to rationalize his victories, but it is clear that both of these guys were better than him.
Sultan

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 10:27:23 AM »
I`ve never said Zane had no flaws,but i have said that he deserved his Olympia wins.No-one knows if Serge was better than him,because in 1975 they were in different weight classes,and Serge never competed against him in 77,78 and 79.Even though Robby did compete against him in those shows,Zane deserved to win.I`m the first one to admit that photgraphs of Robby in the mags in that time period,were more impressive than Zanes.But Robby never walked onstage at the contest looking like he did in the mags.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
Arnold even admits that Mentzer should have beaten Zane in 79...but Mike's posing sucked & he never learned how to control his stomach.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2006, 01:09:56 PM »
A picture is worth 1000 words, and this pic vividly illustrates why Zane was a 3x Mr. O and set a trend of detail, overall balance and conditioning that has helped define the state of the art in bodybuilding in the roughly 25 years since.

Mentzer was undoubtedly a formidable competitor but look at the difference here, it's like night and day--Zane was as far ahead of his competition as Ronnie is today.

So all you whiny crybabies *coughflexfancough* who weren't even alive in 1979 better give Zane his due, he more than deserves his place in history.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »
Well said Dan,and i don`t think anyone could accuse Mentzer of being a "swimmer".

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
A picture is worth 1000 words, and this pic vividly illustrates why Zane was a 3x Mr. O and set a trend of detail, overall balance and conditioning that has helped define the state of the art in bodybuilding in the roughly 25 years since.

Mentzer was undoubtedly a formidable competitor but look at the difference here, it's like night and day--Zane was as far ahead of his competition as Ronnie is today.

So all you whiny crybabies *coughflexfancough* who weren't even alive in 1979 better give Zane his due, he more than deserves his place in history.

alright- i admit it. I really don't like Zane's physique. I'm biased.

One thing though- I was born in 1975  ;D
Sultan

Gord

• Getbig IV
  • Smile when you say that
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 05:45:19 AM »
As crownshep said, Zane had his flaws like every other bodybuilder, but to say he sucked or looked like a swimmer is ridiculous.

Lies, damn lies and diets

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2006, 07:02:05 AM »
Arnold even admits that Mentzer should have beaten Zane in 79...but Mike's posing sucked & he never learned how to control his stomach.

I call bullshit. I have never read anything along these lines. NEVER

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »

In Australia during a 1980 pre contest meeting things got hot between Mentzer and Arnold. Arnold blurted out "Mike, we all know why you didn't win the 1979 Olympia, you had a big stomach".
The House that Ruth built

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

When I find it on the net...I'll post you.

I forget people like you need to be proved wrong.

It will make you look like a jackass.

It is mentioned in Arnolds Bodybuilding Encyclopedia under the posing section...if you have it.