Author Topic: What is a good square foot size for a crossfit gym....  (Read 25010 times)

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
Re: What is a good square foot size for a crossfit gym....
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »
We looked at physical therapy too many hoops to jump through

We looked at fitness only..........meh

And some other options. We estimated construction and equipment to run 150K

Keep in mind this is build for resale

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »
Forget the Crossfit gym. Just build a sports rehab clinic near a group of cross fit gyms. Serious answer, check the top crossfit gyms on youtube.

Yeah, because hiring PT's, nurse practitioner, MD, Chiro, equipment, documentation and billing ERA software, etc, ect....that won't be very expensive at all.

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Forget the Crossfit gym. Just build a sports rehab clinic near a group of cross fit gyms. Serious answer, check the top crossfit gyms on youtube.

This.

For the new "hardcore" trainers.

::)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »
Hmmmm...

Crossfit = Rhabdo Clown

Rhabdomyolysis. No laughing matter. Can't wait til Crossfit takes a hike... forever.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »
Hmmmm...

Crossfit = Rhabdo Clown

Rhabdomyolysis. No laughing matter. Can't wait til Crossfit takes a hike... forever.

never happen. it'll evolve, that's it. making toooo much money.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 04:50:13 AM »
Hmmmm...

Crossfit = Rhabdo Clown

::) The dreaded Rhabdo....

How many pec tears from powerlifting?  Rotator tears from Monday chest day bodybuilders? 

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »

How many pec tears from powerlifting?  Rotator tears from Monday chest day bodybuilders? 

Now I have to move chest day..... Damn

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »
these are cash-cows. it's hard to turn a profit in a regular gym just selling memberships to cover overhead, and your PT sales are the gravy/profit.

reg gym = 10k ft at least, plus equipment that runs 200k min (lease or finance), plus your electric and water and insurance. you're lookin at least 60k/month overhead. charge 20-30$/month

crossfit gym = 1-2k ft.. as low as $.40/sq foot rent. 4 cages, 8 bars, plates ect... you can equip a crossfit place for less than 15k and just pay a couple instructors. charge 100-150$/month

Yeah, I get that. I just can't think of anyone I know or have came across that has not walked out without an injury. You have tons of people dropping out because of that. People are starting to catch.on and its reputation is going to be their demise. Mark my words.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »

Thats so irrelevant it isn't even funny. Powerlifters know what they're getting themselves into and understand the risks and programs are solid. The average person coming off the street has NO CLUE on what they're getting themselves into. Crossfit states that its for everyone, horseshit.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
Thats so irrelevant it isn't even funny. Powerlifters know what they're getting themselves into and understand the risks and programs are solid. The average person coming off the street has NO CLUE on what they're getting themselves into. Crossfit states that its for everyone, horseshit.

irresponsible boxes say that. CF is designed to be an elite training system for people capable of things like pistols, CTB pullups, heavy olympic lifts and quick sprints. by design it is NOT an "everyone come in" kind of thing. years and years ago when i first got into it before it was a big fad, they said outright that if you can't hit baseline on X, Y, and Z movements, just don't follow the WODs.

the issue isn't CF itself, it's that it got too big for its own good and turned into a brand name business. the country's flooded with "boxes" now that exist mostly because they paid to be, even though their "coaches" did nothing beyond getting their L1 cert which is meaningless. stick with programs like mainsite, Outlaw, or Crossfit Football which are designed by people with actual pedigrees and you'll be fine.

what bugs me is that CF is getting people interested in olympic lifting and actual fitness, but people shit on it. glenn pendlay once said that CF was the best thing to happen to the fitness industry because gyms looking to keep up with it now have bumper plates and squat racks. even if you don't like CF itself, isn't that better than gyms full of nautilus machines and swiss balls? ???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
irresponsible boxes say that. CF is designed to be an elite training system for people capable of things like pistols, CTB pullups, heavy olympic lifts and quick sprints. by design it is NOT an "everyone come in" kind of thing. years and years ago when i first got into it before it was a big fad, they said outright that if you can't hit baseline on X, Y, and Z movements, just don't follow the WODs.

the issue isn't CF itself, it's that it got too big for its own good and turned into a brand name business. the country's flooded with "boxes" now that exist mostly because they paid to be, even though their "coaches" did nothing beyond getting their L1 cert which is meaningless. stick with programs like mainsite, Outlaw, or Crossfit Football which are designed by people with actual pedigrees and you'll be fine.

what bugs me is that CF is getting people interested in olympic lifting and actual fitness, but people shit on it. glenn pendlay once said that CF was the best thing to happen to the fitness industry because gyms looking to keep up with it now have bumper plates and squat racks. even if you don't like CF itself, isn't that better than gyms full of nautilus machines and swiss balls? ???

Dude, I've looked into this extensively. There is no "system" its a program of randomness. Ex: o lifts are not meant to be at multiple reps with any weight, you do not pair o lifts with example, a another high intensity exercise then back to another multiple rep olift, even even if you do a low rep o o o lift you do not follow it up with a high intensity exercise. Technique breaks down.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
Dude, I've looked into this extensively. There is no "system" its a program of randomness. Ex: o lifts are not meant to be at multiple reps with any weight, you do not pair o lifts with example, a another high intensity exercise then back to another multiple rep olift, even even if you do a low rep o o o lift you do not follow it up with a high intensity exercise. Technique breaks down.

"extensively" in this case = read articles by people who complain about CF. yes. we've all seen them.

what you, and they, are missing is that technique doesn't break down any more than other lifts. olympic lifts aren't some magical exercise that makes technique break down more than others. no one seems to have a problem with widowmaker squat sets, and yet i've never seen a single set of those where technique didn't turn disastrous after rep 12.

the difference is that you see people trying to pull off Grace as RX'd when their max C&J is 185. the high rep Oly workouts are intended to be done with a weight that's light enough that it's a SPEED movement. watch this:

where in that video is his technique collapsing and turning dangerous? oh right, it doesn't.

at high reps, every exercise has potential for technique breakdown. cleans aren't more prone to it than anything else. period.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
"extensively" in this case = read articles by people who complain about CF. yes. we've all seen them.

what you, and they, are missing is that technique doesn't break down any more than other lifts. olympic lifts aren't some magical exercise that makes technique break down more than others. no one seems to have a problem with widowmaker squat sets, and yet i've never seen a single set of those where technique didn't turn disastrous after rep 12.

the difference is that you see people trying to pull off Grace as RX'd when their max C&J is 185. the high rep Oly workouts are intended to be done with a weight that's light enough that it's a SPEED movement. watch this:

where in that video is his technique collapsing and turning dangerous? oh right, it doesn't.

at high reps, every exercise has potential for technique breakdown. cleans aren't more prone to it than anything else. period.

Yeah but the REALITY is that. Most CF gyns are staffed by barely competent instructors. .. and people are getting hurt. Nobody is just making it up.

That's a very nice video you posted of an in-shape person doing it right...most people aren't that guy.

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Yeah but the REALITY is that. Most CF gyns are staffed by barely competent instructors. .. and people are getting hurt. Nobody is just making it up.

That's a very nice video you posted of an in-shape person doing it right...most people aren't that guy.

Nobody cares to learn the form behind the Crossfit exercises, most of which involve using body motion and a bit of swinging the weight, or body weight around.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Nobody cares to learn the form behind the Crossfit exercises, most of which involve using body motion and a bit of swinging the weight, or body weight around.

I'm a huge bodybuilder. ..crossfit can suck my dick.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

FFS Joe...like the average person coming into a gym that wants to be a bodybuilder has any clue?  You are saying a powerlifter knows what they are getting into and yet you use an average person for CF.  Nice apples to oranges comparison.  I know what I am getting into with attempting to make the games next year.  I know the risks and have programming in place.  You live with these rose colored glasses thinking that people are dropping like flies with CF.  You don't have the slightest clue how many people have hurt their shoulders, knees, or lower backs working out at a gym 'coventional' style.  Ask yourself how many guys you know that won't squat anymore because they 'fucked their low backs up the last time'.  Or even the same could be said with deadlifting.  How many retards do you see in the gym doing it wrong?  I would say 60 - 70% of the people do them wrong.  

Prove to me why CF isn't for everyone.  Make a valid, educated response that isn't laced with passive aggressive statements.  I bet you can't.  By the way, I could say that bodybuilding and powerlifting isn't for everyone.  I could also say it is.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »

tell me how this is different than the incompetent trainers at most commercial gyms? again, you can't malign the sport because of people doing it WRONG. it's like judging bodybuilding by permabulkers or under armor wearing "arms every day" lifters, or powerlifters by the 450 pound land-whales struggling to bench 315.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
tell me how this is different than the incompetent trainers at most commercial gyms? again, you can't malign the sport because of people doing it WRONG. it's like judging bodybuilding by permabulkers or under armor wearing "arms every day" lifters, or powerlifters by the 450 pound land-whales struggling to bench 315.

Because crossfit incorporates a lot of ballistic movements. And the mentality is to "kill it" which inexperienced trainers and newbies get caught up in....I call it enthusiasm outstrpping your ability.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
Because crossfit incorporates a lot of ballistic movements. And the mentality is to "kill it" which inexperienced trainers and newbies get caught up in....I call it enthusiasm outstrpping your ability.

which is a problem, but no more prevalent than "bodybuilding" and "powerlifting" newbies and inexperienced trainers who get caught up in "go heavy or go home" and wreck their joints.

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
which is a problem, but no more prevalent than "bodybuilding" and "powerlifting" newbies and inexperienced trainers who get caught up in "go heavy or go home" and wreck their joints.

Nah....inexperienced lifters get severe DOMS and are fine after 4 days. We've all been there.  By the time you are wrecking your joints you know exactly what you are doing to yourself.

Cfers get ran over by cars

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
Would a 6000 sq ft with 4000 regular and 2000 sq ft custom for crossfit be better? Could a gym like this afford a 5000 per month rent?

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
Would a 6000 sq ft with 4000 regular and 2000 sq ft custom for crossfit be better? Could a gym like this afford a 5000 per month rent?

I'm a BBer to the core. And if I were investing money in a fitness facility, it would be a training studio and not a conventional gym. Way too much overhead,  too hard to turn a profit

I'd go 50-50 or skew it towards the studio. I love BBing....but money is money.

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »

Are you in the city? Do you have a following of clients? Is the market saturated with other gyms? What's your expected rate of penetration into the market? How are you positioning yourself? As a Crossfit gym, a health and fitness center, or a hardcore athletes facility?

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Good location, building to sell....markets fine, enough rooftops. I'm not looking for input on feasibility or market study.

I simply want to know, if anyone has owned one, sold one and optimal size and use....obviously women and crossfit are my biggest target customers....

But my biggest target is the investor who will buy said gym....

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Good location, building to sell....markets fine, enough rooftops. I'm not looking for input on feasibility or market study.

I simply want to know, if anyone has owned one, sold one and optimal size and use....obviously women and crossfit are my biggest target customers....

But my biggest target is the investor who will buy said gym....

It's not a gym until it has members. .. if someone has the money to buy yours why not just build it themselves