Author Topic: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags  (Read 24819 times)

OneBigMan

Re: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2006, 10:44:54 AM »
I think the problem is not the magazines, but the people who buy them. If women with orange skin sold more magazines, most women on the magazines would be orange. Call it what you like but its what the society in this day and age is lured to. Most women who dye their hair dye it what color? Blonde, right? The cool thing about society is that its slowly changing its idea of beauty. Look at people nowadays. Women and men get burnt under the sun trying to get darker skin tones.

I am not involved in bodybuilding or anything so I cannot vouch for this first hand, but from what I see in the forums, and magazines it seems as if bodybuilding is one of the least racist sports. In football until recently it was a big deal if there was a black qb. They would cast doubt on their abilities and so on. Look at bodybuilding, even though Sergio spoke about racism he was still Mr. Olympia in the late 60's. How many other sports had a non white champion at that time?

The look that made the magazines push the envelope appropriately was during the modern years when the FAP champions got exposure as well as when the number one so called blond became the best model in the swimsuit issues of FLEX and other publications. That image got taken to a excessive level by others who just couldn't pull off the same yellowish look that one person perfected. That might prove that one bright color of a model isn't always the best looking.

OneBigMan

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
I hope I won't be the last person to talk about this discussion  ???

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2006, 11:37:21 AM »
I hope I won't be the last person to talk about this discussion  ???

What else is there to say?

The people who promote certain products have the right to decide 1) whom they wish to market to and 2) how they want to do it.  When the diet/nutritional supplement industry decides that the non-White market is worth pursuing, then you'll begin to see more women of color (Blacks, Latinas, Asians, etc) pushing those products. 

What's stopping Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Alex Rodriguez or Michelle Wie, etc. from using their resources to start such a company?  That's a hypothetical, of course, but even though there are many people of all races in the (competitive) fitness industry, diet products are marketed primarily to Whites. 

OneBigMan

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 11:48:53 AM »
There is nothing necessary wrong with having any number of shade color women on a cover or in the centerfold spreads as long as they are attractive and good looking and that magazine sells as many copies as it could.

On the other side of that, there aren't many who can pull off that labeled blond yellow look like one or two or three or more fitness females who try to take it to a sick extreme.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
The only black people who gets covers, are those who looks whitey.

Ie, Tyra Banks, Halle Berry (Is she black?), et al.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

OneBigMan

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2006, 03:21:46 PM »
This was a great topic and I hope nobody got uncomfortable reading it based on what colors are beautiful 8)

markmark

• Getbig II
  • work har,train hard,Stay hard!
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
 Sasha congrats on your recent Centerfold in the JAN-07 American Curves magazine.
train hard.

Bronx

• Getbig III
  • MuscleMag Group Photo Editor
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2007, 05:52:40 AM »
Now, let me give you the definitive answer to this. There are actually a few reasons why we don't use more ethnic women in the mags, specifically T'n'A mags.

1. There just aren't that many out there approaching photographers to get in shoots.

2. The industry in dominated by white girls, and they are the popluar ones we want in the mags. If the top 5 were black, then THEY would be the ones in the mags.

3. We don't stop ANYONE from being in the mags, but we don't hunt them down either, mainly we work with people that come to us.

There is no conspiracy or racial tones to why more ethinic women don't appear in the mags, in the end it's what the readers want, and 99% want what you see every month.

And Dina was right, she isn't white, blonde OR blue eyed, and she has been in almost more than anyone! :)

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
right from the horses mouth ( well MMI's).. thanks for chiming in Jeff and letting everyone know what the truth is.

Alicia M.

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • BSN ATHLETE/IFBB Pro/Writer: Oxygen Magazine
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2007, 12:36:22 AM »
The only black people who gets covers, are those who looks whitey.

Ie, Tyra Banks, Halle Berry (Is she black?), et al.

YIP
Zack

WHAT??? LOL...
I don't "looks whitey."  ???
aliciamarietv.com

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2007, 05:59:33 AM »
WHAT??? LOL...
I don't "looks whitey."  ???

Do you straighten your hair?

If yes, then you're trying to fit the "whitey" mold to some degree IMHO.

No offence mate. I think Erykah Badu looks awesome, she doesn't straighten her hair.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
Alicia definitely doesnt look caucasian.. sorry the whitey term just makes me cringe. She is a beautiful exotic and ethnic looking woman, and yes I am sure that her heritage is mixed .. just as is mine... but  you cannot mistake her for being white

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »
Alicia definitely doesnt look caucasian.. sorry the whitey term just makes me cringe. She is a beautiful exotic and ethnic looking woman, and yes I am sure that her heritage is mixed .. just as is mine... but  you cannot mistake her for being white

Yeah like whatever for the white black thing...but...um...dinas picture gives me teh Boner...

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2007, 12:12:27 PM »
i hope it is a major one... always glad to be of service  :P

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »
i hope it is a major one... always glad to be of service  :P

Yeah i can send a pic if you want..im just tryin to get the panaramic view on my camera

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »
lovely  please

Alicia M.

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • BSN ATHLETE/IFBB Pro/Writer: Oxygen Magazine
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2007, 05:18:14 AM »
Dina is FIERCE!!!
There is no one out there that has that gaze like you, girl!!!

FIRE!
:) am

p.s. yep, im of mixed background...but, like Dii said, no mistaking!!
aliciamarietv.com

Mufasa

• Getbig II
  • Never Give Up Hope!
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »
I think Bronx brings up an important point that I first learned from Skip LaCour.

People think that the Mags "go looking for models" once they have won a contest or there has been some "buzz" about them. That is rare, indeed.

Opportunities are CREATED by the athlete and/or her agent AND usually at their own expense.

While there are occasional models that are "in demand", more often than not the athlete has to create their own photo ops.

“There comes a

OneBigMan

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2007, 08:47:55 AM »
Now, let me give you the definitive answer to this. There are actually a few reasons why we don't use more ethnic women in the mags, specifically T'n'A mags.

1. There just aren't that many out there approaching photographers to get in shoots.

2. The industry in dominated by white girls, and they are the popluar ones we want in the mags. If the top 5 were black, then THEY would be the ones in the mags.

3. We don't stop ANYONE from being in the mags, but we don't hunt them down either, mainly we work with people that come to us.

There is no conspiracy or racial tones to why more ethinic women don't appear in the mags, in the end it's what the readers want, and 99% want what you see every month.

And Dina was right, she isn't white, blonde OR blue eyed, and she has been in almost more than anyone! :)

I think what you said sums it up very well because there is no need to be controversial. The best looking models are the ones that should be appearing in the pages of muscle magazines regardless of your ethnicity. I've seen a certain amount of diversity and that is realistic because there are minorities that got exposure in a number of major magazines that probably did sell very well during the time when pro fitness became exceptionally explicit with all the sexercise that was shown.

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
  • Comming Soon ME!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2007, 07:56:35 PM »
WOW!!!! I posted this in December of 05 and it is still going on.....that says alot....now i have read alot of the post and one thing i have noticed is that when an example of a non white women in mags come all i see is Dina's name which she is well deserving of but what happens when she fully retires just replace her with one or a few more ethnic women.....since 05 it has moved a maybe an inch in my opinion but again thats just one Black mans opinion....lol...get it remeber ronnie said about...ahhhhhh forget it you guys are the greatest.......I love this sport and lifestyle.......

Hey Dina I would to treat you to an elegant dinner and night on the town...SKYS THE LIMIT...I know how you like to do it BIG....what ya say....

OneBigMan

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
WOW!!!! I posted this in December of 05 and it is still going on.....that says alot....now i have read alot of the post and one thing i have noticed is that when an example of a non white women in mags come all i see is Dina's name which she is well deserving of but what happens when she fully retires just replace her with one or a few more ethnic women.....since 05 it has moved a maybe an inch in my opinion but again thats just one Black mans opinion....lol...get it remeber ronnie said about...ahhhhhh forget it you guys are the greatest.......I love this sport and lifestyle.......

Hey Dina I would to treat you to an elegant dinner and night on the town...SKYS THE LIMIT...I know how you like to do it BIG....what ya say....

I'm kinda glad that this topic was left behind so that there wouldn't be anymore controversy over what was discussed already and talked about in a subjective and unbiased way.